Sneakguest

Some advice in starting my own sculpting

After trying for a long time to get the figures I want to buy from others, lego parts with some smaller interventions like cutting, cluing and painting, I've realized that there are some figures I want that I won't get them in a satisfactory way without start some handiwork myself, so I've come to the decision that I should start do some molding/sculpting myself, so, any suggestion how to do it? I've never been doing any kind of creating this way, so have no idea about anything like what kind of tools are good, what kind of material is good both for durability as well as for shaping and also painting? Also what kind of paint is suggested? And is it better to use some original lego part as a base to mold around it, or is it better to create a piece from the scratch? Any help is appreciated!

You'll need some Kneadatite aka "Green Stuff" or Sculpey if you wish. Get some modelling tools like knives and such. There are tutorials online on how to do sculpting/modelling with either material. Paints will usually be acrylic based paints. You can use commercially available paint but those from well-known brands for miniature wargaming stuff are great too. I just use Tamiya spray paints for my purposes.

As for using Lego parts as a base, that depends on what exactly you intend to achieve. If it is to reshape an existing helmet then by all means use one, and modify it accordingly. With a Lego piece as a base the end product is usually quite sturdy if you've done it right. Where durability is concerned, since these are custom made using clay or putty and/or plastic sheet like Tamiya Pla-Plate, YMMV. I would not put these under rough play conditions if possible. They are great for posing though.

I don't know about availability in other countries, but I use something called Milliput. It's 2 part sculpting/molding plastic epoxy. You make your mixture, apply, sculpt, and wait about 2 hours to harden. Then you can paint. It's what I used for my custom ghillie suits.

26576236393_e81608569b_c.jpgCustom Ghillie Suit by Jesse Beeze, on Flickr

Thanx, well I might still have some paint left from the time I used to paint warhammer, the rest I dunno if they have something similar but I will surely ask around! I get back with some questionw if there is something I dont get, thanx a million