Sign in to follow this  
BrickMonkeyMOCs

Military MOC: SS-1 Scud B TEL

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Hello all.

Thought I'd share my latest creation. A Scud missile Transporter/Erector/Launcher, designed in LDraw and now built in the brick (click on any of the pics to see more in the Flickr set):

5037261247_4ee44a1279_m.jpg5037879224_9b405eed77_m.jpg5037262095_eb73c0bcbc_m.jpg5037261739_5047ff1425_m.jpg

Features:

- Spring-loaded & pneumatically-dampened missile raising mechanism.

- 4-Wheel steering (controlled from rear).

- Opening doors, roof sections, storage hatches (for BrickArms), and engine cover.

- Functioning rear stabilizers.

- Missile launch control (left side) and crew rest quarters (right side).

The Flickr set also contains a short video demonstrating the steering and missile mechanism. This has been my most complicated and ambitious LDraw design to date, but I'm very pleased with the end result. Comments, questions, and criticisms are welcome.

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs
Indexed

Wow, this is simply an amazing MOC SpaceMonkey! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: for you! The tan color scheme is perfectly consistent for a military vehicle, very effective functionality of the rocket launching mechanism, and just great details overall. This rocket laucher really look well together with your other equally-impressive military vehicle MOCs (like that chopper). Keep up with these masterful creations!

Okay, now that is SMEGGING AWESOME ! :grin:

Excellent work there 'SpaceMonkey' - best modern warfare machine MOC'ed ever in my opinion !

Perfect for desert combat ! :devil:

Copter is nice too ! :wink:

I'm a conformist! 'SpaceMonkey' really I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Wow, this is an astoundingly good military moc! I love the detail on it, such as the...well the entire frakking thing is beautifully detailed, honestly. Good work, and definitely keep bricking! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I rarely comments on military mocs but this Scud Missile Launcher simply takes my breath away. My jaws went wide open upon viewing your images. This is not a very common military vehicle being created in LEGO and I am glad that you have made this LDD design into actual bricks. Very impressive. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing. :sweet:

p.s: The apache is deadly. :wink:

I had already seen the "virtual" model, but the real one is just beautiful and very accurate to fit for the actual Mobile Scud-B Launcher.

Great MOC! I hope to see more of your awsome creations in the future :wink:

Nicely done! You weren't inspired by the Command and Conquer video game, were you (your MOC looks just like one of the vehicles in the game)?

Thank you all for your positive comments and feedback! I realize military MOCs tend not to get that much attention around here, so I appreciate all responses.

I rarely comments on military mocs but this Scud Missile Launcher simply takes my breath away. My jaws went wide open upon viewing your images. This is not a very common military vehicle being created in LEGO and I am glad that you have made this LDD design into actual bricks. Very impressive. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! You're right that this vehicle hasn't been built often before. There are a couple of quality builds out there that helped inspire this model though, so I'd like to mention the excellent models of George Georgiou (G2) and Daniel Zayac.

Nicely done! You weren't inspired by the Command and Conquer video game, were you (your MOC looks just like one of the vehicles in the game)?

Thanks, but no, I haven't played C&C. The model was based on reference pictures of the real world vehicle, though the most useful pics I found were actually of a beautifully detailed and painted plastic scale model.

Nice, though the engine could be a little beefier.

Yeah, that's probably a fair call. I used all the space available, and I chose to make the engine similar in design to that in my Humvees, but a different design might have looked better. I didn't find any reference pictures of the real vehicle's engine bay to base it on though.

Does the missile detach or is it fixed?

Yes! The missile certainly detaches! It sits on a small section of exposed technic axle at the base, and connects to the main body of the vehicle by a single stud when lowered. You can lift it straight out of the housing from the vertical position.