kr-lik

[Review] 75082 - TIE Advanced Prototype

Hey,

my first review here... not sure if it's ok and if I actually CAN post a review here yet but if not - please moderate this :]

So:

Set Name: TIE Advanced Prototype

Set #: 75082

Theme: Star Wars

Pieces: 355

Minifigures: 3

Year of Release: 2015

MSRP: USD $39.99

I bought this set in a polish SMYK store yesterday (so a bit earlier than it was supposed to be out). I overpayed for it quite a lot but then again that's what "impulse-purchase" is all about :)

Box/Instructions

The box itself is quite nice. Not too big, not too small. Instructions are easy to read and pretty standard. There's a small sticker sheet as well, consisting of 6 small stickers.

228s.jpg229s.jpg

230s.jpg232s.jpg

235s.jpg

Parts

There are 355 parts in this set. They're all pretty standard ranging from light-gray to dark-gray and black. Some red transparent bricks are also present. I think this set has a new part -> (sorry for being an ignorant) an L-shaped light-gray brick with no studs. You can see it on the stock pictures on "top" of the wings (I think it's called a "tile" ;] ). Other than that - the printed domes are also interesting pieces.

234s.jpg237s.jpg

Minifigures

The figs are basically what should draw you to this set. The Inquisitor is AMAZING. It has a new helmet, shoulder-pads and a lightsaber. This fig is pure awesome. It's definitely a must for all the SW minifig collectors out there. You also get a TIE Pilot (I think it's a new fig as well - different helmet from the last TIE Fighter Pilot we had) and an Imperial Officer (which also has "new" tag on the box meaning it's an exclusive!. Pure Empire gold!

245s.jpg246s.jpg

248s.jpg249s.jpg250s.jpg

251s.jpg252s.jpg254s.jpg

The build

The build is devided to 3 stages. Bag 1 - Cockpit. Bag 2 - "Wing-holders". Bag 3 - Wings. The build is rather fast and a bit repetetive as the wing-holders are basically a mirrored versions of each other and the wings are a build of x4 of the same thing.

The completed model

The model looks rather good. It has a flicker-cannons (?). You can open the glass dome and the top dome so you can put a minifig inside. The only issue I have with this model is the size of it comparing it to the last TIE Fighter.

But then again when I look at ->post-67994-0-65522000-1419849269_thumb.jpg <- it MIGHT actually be the right size.

EDIT: One thing that you might find a bit annoying are the wings. They are NOT attached like in the old Vader's TIE meaning they don't have certain "steps" of possible arrangement if you know what I mean. Here you can fold the wings to whatever position you want (well.. "inside" at least). This means that if you open up the wings and put in on a table or whatever flat surface, they MIGHT fold back in a bit which will make the model fall. It's not really something that will make this model a NO, but still it's tad annoying.

238s.jpg239s.jpg

240s.jpg241s.jpg

242s.jpg243s.jpg

257s.jpg258s.jpg

261s.jpg262s.jpg

Overall opinion

The model is nothing extraordinary. It's a standard TIE set and it will look good with the other TIEs in your collection. The minifigs tho, are a MUST!

Minifigures: 10/10

Parts: 6/10

Build: 5/10

Price: 8/10 - I'll just say I found this set on an auction for 200 PLN (about 46 euros) and for that - it IS a pretty good price. Like I said, I did overpay for it at the local toy store.

Design: 8/10

Playability: 9/10

Overall: 46/60 = 77%

Edited by kr-lik

what is the point of the review if it includes no images or videos?

Did you not read the first paragraph? The man is at work and will upload the photos when he gets home.

Yeah I'm sorry I had doubts about posting it without the photos but I decided to do it anyways. Like I said - Will post pictures in a couple of hours - sorry for that!

Did you not read the first paragraph? The man is at work and will upload the photos when he gets home.

@legoman

Did you not read his comment to which you are responding to?

He asked 'what is the point', he didn't question why there were no pictures, to which is what you answered to.

His point/question actually still stands, as a review is better done with pictures (pics worth a thousand words and all that), and currently, it seems a bit.... bland.

@original poster:

It is really great you wish to do a review, however, it may be best next time to wait until you are able to do a complete review including pictures rather than presenting an unfinished review.

Reviews are intended to show a thorough in-depth view, and currently, (yes, I know it is not finished as stated) does not.

I hope you do not take my criticism harshly, as you do seem to have noted some good main points in your review, and I believe it will be a good review once complete.

@Fuppylodders

Thanks for the criticism. I'm not taking it harsh - like I wrote before I did hesitate to post it. Will pick the second option next time as I do also see it now that it is missing quite a lot :]

hehe... I work at a "company" ;) ... got some spare time from time to time...

but back to topic... I added the photos. I hope they meet your demand. Sorry I'm not big on photography + I don't really have a place to take good photos but I'm trying my best. Opinions welcome.

ALSO, on a side note. I wasn't able to upload any of them for whatever reason so I uploaded them on my server. I'll leave them be for the time being. Hope it's all good for you.

EDIT: Btw If you want a more closeup or whatever else picture - let me know. I'll try to provide one.

Edited by kr-lik

I like the look of the cockpit with the new window and hatch pieces. The cockpit and overall design look very accurate to the show. I hope lego releases an update of the tie fighter with a similar cockpit. Could you take an overhead shot of the interior of the cockpit please?

Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the early review! I was in love with the idea behind this set since I saw the prelims. I like this set a lot, especially the way they handled a TIE after the other one. It looks nice and different while at the same time retaining the look of the TIE. I think that the new cockpit and hatch will become quite useful in TIE MOCs. It's nice to see that the corner tile you mentioned is in production. It'll be useful for MOC-ing. One thing that has \ really bugged me is the piece on the back. In every review I have seen it is tilted. What purpose does it serve? How is it connected?

Could you take an overhead shot of the interior of the cockpit please?

Sure. Later today if that's ok with You.

One thing that has \ really bugged me is the piece on the back. In every review I have seen it is tilted. What purpose does it serve? How is it connected?

The tilted thing on the back is the guns mechanism. You tilt it left or right and it makes the TIE shoot the red blasters (left and right). It's actually quite cool in my opinion and the only downside is the thing you mentioned - hard time making it look straight :]

Can you make the side panel straight like a tie fighter?

What is the maximum you can "pull" them away from the cockpit?

No. The photos show the maximum. ... Also actually I will add one more thing to the review.

Thanks for the review, the figures really draw my attention to this set, as well as the TIE itself. It is very accurate and sleek as well as having a good part selection.

Everybody talks about how this set looks similar to what they saw in the Rebels set... but I wasn't so sure... now I found a pic from the show:

tie.jpg

Honestly ? It looks nothing like that :(. I does seem to have size issues (looking at that movie still you see the standard TIEs in the back and the wings seems to be more or less same size (height wise at least)... Also, the movie TIE seems to be more like a sphere shaped... the LEGO one looks more like an OVAL...

oh well... it don't change my opinion on the set tho btw ;)

Edited by kr-lik

No. The photos show the maximum. ... Also actually I will add one more thing to the review.

Thank you for you answer

Everybody talks about how this set looks similar to what they saw in the Rebels set... but I wasn't so sure... now I found a pic from the show:

Honestly ? It looks nothing like that :(. I does seem to have size issues (looking at that movie still you see the standard TIEs in the back and the wings seems to be more or less same size (height wise at least)... Also, the movie TIE seems to be more like a sphere shaped... the LEGO one looks more like an OVAL...

The wings should be longer to be more accurate but as you said it still looks good.

Will definitly be picking this sets for the minifigs and also somewhat for the build.

Hmm, nice review! I think it's okay it doesn't look like Vaders, after all it IS a prototype! The rebals line as a whole has yet to attract me but the models all seem to be pretty nice. Again good job with the review :thumbup:

Could you take an overhead shot of the interior of the cockpit please?

hope these help:

DSC_0264s.jpgDSC_0265s.jpg

DSC_0266s.jpg

Edited by kr-lik

tie.jpg

Given the time frame needed for set design, Lego was likely working off earlier design drafts for the Rebel's TIE Advance, than the finished result that made it into the show.

Thanks for the review, for me this set is the best in this wave along with the T-16 and Azure Angel. The biggest reason to buy this was the Inquisitor, he just beat the Darth Malgus figure, all those new molds and the beautiful painting, Lego did a grat job on him. However the price tag seems high for me, but considering that SW sets are getting more expensve year by year and that it's an awesome set I'm not complaining. The ship itself is a beauty too, in Jangbricks's review he asid that the build is exceptionally great so i'm really looking forward to it.

I ordered it yesterday, now the waiting is killing me :laugh:

tie.jpg

Wings should be folded in landing mode so this isn't really a flow in lego design it is actualy how it supposed to be. Tie adv. prototype isn't supposed to be landed as seen on this picture - this tie with unfolded wings was fighter on display stand during the parade and if you look at the show later in the same episode (ep7 empire day) you can see 2 tie pilots and Inquistor going to landing pad in imperial base and there is tie advanced in landing mode like it supposed to be.

Regular Tie fighters in rebels series are made smaller than ones in the original movies/other references. So comparing wing size of tie prototype and tie fighter from rebels is pointless.

Only flaw in design of this set is that wing are 2-3 maybe 4 studs too short, they should almost touch in landing mode.

The figs in this set are amazing. I get worried when sets like this come along because I end up buying them for the figs. If I keep this up I will accidently become a minifig collector...

Wings should be folded in landing mode so this isn't really a flow in lego design it is actualy how it supposed to be. Tie adv. prototype isn't supposed to be landed as seen on this picture - this tie with unfolded wings was fighter on display stand during the parade and if you look at the show later in the same episode (ep7 empire day) you can see 2 tie pilots and Inquistor going to landing pad in imperial base and there is tie advanced in landing mode like it supposed to be.

I think you misunderstood me. When you look at the model from the Rebels series with wings hmmm spread... the ship itself is in the shape of a shpere. but when you look at the lego model with the wings sread... it looks more like an oval.

PERHAPS it's just a matter of the size of the wings as you said. Maybe if they'd be a bit longer they'd form a better "sphere" ;]