Sign in to follow this  
Mosse1997

Brickfilming - Camera for closeup?

I have been making Brickfilms off and on for 7 years now, and I have tried a couple of software and cameras.

Right now I have 2 cameras. 1 full-HD DV Camera and one Logitech web camera. The software I use is iStopmotion for recording and iMovie for editing. (Mac OS X)

Now when I am looking forward for a couple of weeks free in the summer I want to spend some time making more Brickfilms and I thought about taking it to the next level.

I read about this camera http://www.amazon.com/Lego-Stop-Animation-Video-Camera/dp/B002L6IA08 It has some pros and some cons though. It can be placed on studs e.g. on a baseplate and has a macro lens, which I think could be great fun and it is not too expensive. BUT it has no HD resolution...

Does someone have experience with this camera and can confirm my thoughts?

And do you got ideas for other solutions? I am most interested in a micro lens-solution. If I just had the camera, I could build something with bricks to keep it stable and attached to the baseplate.

I have no experience with the camera, but I noticed that it has 33 reviews and only an overall 2 star rating. I would suggest you read all the reviews on Amazon and decide how what the reviewer said applies to you. I would not touch a 2 star prodct.

Oh, yeah, I notice you Have an HD camera, this one is only 640 X 480.

Just MHO, YMMV

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

That camera looks fun, I remember seeing it at Toys R Us about 10 years ago. FYI it was only $50 new, I would highly recommend looking for something else. You could get a decent pocket still camera for around that price and it will have macro mode as well. When doing brick films, there's really no reason to have a video camera as you are only capturing still frames.

There's a tutorial on Choosing a Camera over in the BF&C Academy forum, you might be interested in checking that out.

I hope you find something that works well for you :classic: