jansued

Review: 10197 Fire Brigade

I will... I wasn't enthousiast either when I first saw this building. But it is really great! It has so much detail inside. I like it better than Cafe Corner.

Woah, woah, woah. CC is an amazing building :tongue:

This looks like an amazing set, and I truly can't wait to get it. :)

The gold helmets are fantastic, and I love the use of grey frogs for helmet holders! The Table Tennis table, along with the sofa and kitchen are just fabulous. :tongue:

Looking at the interior, thinking up ways to include a toilet.

I have bought the fire brigade recently.

Even if the building looks very good and impressive, I have to admit that I find it really far from the level of CC and GG. I don’t know really why…

Maybe it’s due to its architecture, which is more “square’ish” than the two first one.

The facades don’t look as details IMO, just like the first floor. Maybe it’s due to its architecture inspiration…

But there is a point that I’m very pleased with. :sweet:

It seems that TLC has solved its colours issues.

All the light grey pieces looks the same, and better, the dark red too! The variation of colours in dark colours is easier to distinguish and with this set, nothing to deplore! :thumbup:

Wow - this Fire Brigade looks so great next to the other Exclusive sets.

I wish that my budget allowed me to buy these kinds of sets. It's really what I've wished for in LEGO sets my whole life

Great review - thanks :classic:

I have bought the fire brigade recently.

Even if the building looks very good and impressive, I have to admit that I find it really far from the level of CC and GG. I don’t know really why…

Maybe it’s due to its architecture, which is more “square’ish” than the two first one.

The facades don’t look as details IMO, just like the first floor. Maybe it’s due to its architecture inspiration…

My problem with it is that the first floor feels vastly oversized compared to CC and GG. The whole building seems like it is a different scale. I mean, the height is about the same as the first two, but whereas they had three intricate and separate floors, Fire Brigade has 2 starker and less detailed levels. Maybe it's just that so much of the floors are large windows, and the other two were relatively modest in that respect, but I don't think they look quite right next to each other.

But there is a point that I’m very pleased with. :sweet: It seems that TLC has solved its colours issues. All the light grey pieces looks the same, and better, the dark red too!

I disagree about the colour issues. Yes, dark red is now the new browny dark red (and has been since mid 08), but the ordinary red in the firetruck was all over the place, and I have never seen such poor yellow as was found in the tube for the fire pole and the dreadful looking airtanks. Really bad! :sick:

I disagree about the colour issues. Yes, dark red is now the new browny dark red (and has been since mid 08), but the ordinary red in the firetruck was all over the place, and I have never seen such poor yellow as was found in the tube for the fire pole and the dreadful looking airtanks. Really bad! :sick:

Yeah, yellow appears to be a problem still. The 7641 City Corner had both almost transparent and some kind of alien looking yellow in it. The alien color can also be found on some of the 2009 Pirate minifigs (one of the soldiers in 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty had an 'alien' head and some minifig parts in 6241 Loot Island suffered the same fate). I'm glad to hear that the dark-red is ok though (and that there's not too much yellow in the 10197).

That was a funny review to read....although i do not think i will buy the set, simply because it is too big for my city, it was fun to read, really !!

You should do more reviews in this way... it made me laugh !!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

TRU has taken the set off of their website...Beginning of the end?

Absolutely not. It will be widely available through around October/November.

If not longer, because sales on this set have been slower than any other modular. I just bought 2 from the tru bobo sale. I have yet to open the box.

Any idea when the Grand Emporium will be discontinued..??

Any idea when the Grand Emporium will be discontinued..??

The Grand Emporium will no doubt be readily available for at least another year if the availability of the previous modulars is anything to go by. They all last for around 2 years from release as a general rule.

Edited by samshaw44

The Grand Emporium will no doubt be readily available for at least another year if the availability of the previous modulars is anything to go by. They all last for around 2 years from release as a general rule.

I went into the London LEGO store, and all exclusives were in stock (inc. Medieval Market Village), although no Grand Emporium...

As for this review, awesome set, however none of the pictures seem to work for me :sceptic:

I just bought this set and the LEGO Store & was surprised to find the instructions in a plastic bag with cardboard backing. :classic:

INDEXED

45. Minifigs and leftovers

Not much left from 2231 parts.

leftover.jpg

I've got this set and although it's good, it's my least favourite of the modular range. I would suggest you retrace your steps through your instructions, as I don't think you should have the two 1 x 4 black tiles or the two 1 x 2 dark bley plates left over. These are not normal lego spares and I don't remember having them when I build my Fire house, I think you missed a step :-)

Paul

I jut ordered this set online and I specifically bought it because of the size of each floor of the building (two stories instead of three). I plan on removing the back wall and making it into a "doll house" for my daughter. I'll be keeping it a Firehouse (she is pretty flexible with her play themes) but plan on doing some remodeling as she is still very young.

Got this set 2 days ago, strange thing is that i'm missing several bricks.

one dark red corner brick, two 3x1 grey bricks and a 12 stud plate.

This is my first set that I got thats not complete. Although the box was sealed and al the bags too...

But overall I think this set is great. But some rooms for the fireman to crash in would be nice too.

I bought the set at the event in Windsor and i have to say there are some really great sections and some weak elements to it.

sure, the interior is not al that brilliant. i dont like the fridge, for instance, and the seat lacks some legs. the small cupboard, on the other hand, is sweet... the table tennis is a mistery to me... did they have those in the early 20-30's? hmmm

The flag at the front of the house was not a good decision either, but i can live with it...

what i do like, however, is the front section of the first floor: the combination between dark red tiles and light bley tiles is great, the large windows give it classic feel to it all. the buiding technique is innovative and attractive. but most of all, it's a fairly large room, you can easily turn this into a gymnasium or class room... The roof section is pretty nice as well.

in all, i'd say this set is one of the best, the front is less chaotic and in fairly natural colors, it has a fair interior, contrary to Café Corner, which has no interior at all, and holes instead of windows, and the car is quite nice too

happy to have it... :sweet:

Thanks for the review! I have decided to buy the fire brigade as my first modular building! After reading your review, I'm sure I won't be disappointed :classic: I also like how these modulars can provide parts for MOCs.

Got this set 2 days ago, strange thing is that i'm missing several bricks.

one dark red corner brick, two 3x1 grey bricks and a 12 stud plate.

This is my first set that I got thats not complete. Although the box was sealed and al the bags too...

But overall I think this set is great. But some rooms for the fireman to crash in would be nice too.

i just got one for my birthday and am missing over 20 pieces. called cust. service and determined I was missing a whole bag. It's in the mail, until then I have just the top floor put together. Can't wait to finish it!

I have four quantity of 10197 and I modification four sets into one large Fire Brigade but I am still working on it.

MN

I also had the problem with some missing pieces. Had a couple light bley 1x2 plates missing and a couple of the silverish grills missing. Didn't get any grief from Lego about it and am getting the parts, but it sounds like this set had quite a few issues with missing pieces. This is the first new set that I've ever had missing pieces in.

I too was missing pieces in this set, and I don't have a lot of these colors in my collection so its hard for me to just replace them. I believe the piece I was missing was a 1x10 light bley brick, it may have been longer or shorter I can't recall, but it was an inconvenience nonetheless. Like most of you, this is the first set I have EVER had that was missing pieces.

Debating whether to get this or not while it is still around, what do you guys reckon given the similarities with the up and coming Town Hall, this won't be my first modular, already got GE and PS