On a scale of 1 to 5  

229 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

Yeah, I don't really get the comparisons... it's not as good as I.F. (my first ship, BTW, not generally being into the pirate theme), but in the U.S. the I.F. was $180 and the QAR is $120... the IF costs 50% more.

I know right.

On a side note, 10179 is significantly better than 7965.

Many thanks to TheBrickmaster for the wonderful review and tons of useful information and pictures! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I can't agree more about the stickers (as I was really hoping those windows were not the stickers attached..). Nevertheless, it's a great set overall with interesting new pieces and the nice colour scheme. As most folks say, this model is excellent with other ship sets like 6243 Brickbeard's Bounty, 10210 Imperial Flagship, or any other legendary old ones in the 80s and 90s.

To be honest, I wasn't going to get this set, but after this review, this ship is tempting more than ever! (I can feel my pocket is getting lighter... :pir-look: )

TRU forgot to exclude POTC from it's current BOGO50% sale... but they "coincidentally" sold out of QAR :pir-sceptic:

Second that... I probably would have been in for two had they still had them. (Although I don't believe the price is good for 1, at 180, that is a good deal for 2) But My TRU didn't have any pirates this week.

Two general questions to everyone -

1st, excuse me, I have been taking comprehensive exams and writing a dissertation for the last 7 months, so I have been out of the news loops - is there a confirmation that the Black Pearl was being released? Is there a thread someone could link for me?

2nd, mods, I really think a modification contest of the QAR would be a really interesting community contest. Any possibility we could start one, or maybe an unofficial one? I am not saying there has to be prizes, but would be interesting having a contest to get the juices flowing.

is there a confirmation that the Black Pearl was being released? Is there a thread someone could link for me?

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Pirates of the Caribbean - 4184 Black Pearl - 1

4184 Black Pearl

804 Pieces

$100 USD / $130 CAD

Available in November

And there aren't any photos of it yet, leaked or official.

Is there any chance anyone can post a comparison picture between the QAR and Brickbeard's Bounty? I'm not usually a Pirates guy but BB is the only pirate set I have, just wanted to see how the 2 ships compared in size.

Edited by Canada_7

TRU forgot to exclude POTC from it's current BOGO50% sale... but they "coincidentally" sold out of QAR :pir-sceptic:

Coincidence indeed. My local one had two of them sitting in a cart behind the customer service desk while every other item had been sold.

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Pirates of the Caribbean - 4184 Black Pearl - 1

4184 Black Pearl

804 Pieces

$100 USD / $130 CAD

Available in November

And there aren't any photos of it yet, leaked or official.

Firstly, this is great news, and from Dead Man's Chest? Interesting, I guess it won't include Barbossa's ghost crew. Maybe a Davy Jones minifigure, if we don't see an entire seperate Dutchman.

As for the QAR, I love it. I wish it had a deck etc, but it still looks great. Definately going to pick her up!

Nice review.

Well, at this rate, the minifigs interest me more than the actual ship does. :tongue:

I particularly like the torso that the guy with the tan hat has, not sure why. It could be useful.

Firstly, this is great news, and from Dead Man's Chest? Interesting, I guess it won't include Barbossa's ghost crew. Maybe a Davy Jones minifigure, if we don't see an entire seperate Dutchman.

As for the QAR, I love it. I wish it had a deck etc, but it still looks great. Definately going to pick her up!

I think we are all just praying that a dutchman ship is secretly on it's way.

I think we are all just praying that a dutchman ship is secretly on it's way.

I don't think it's secretly on its way. If this line continues (and really, how could it not? There's tons of sets left to be made) we'll see the Dutchman eventually. It's one of the iconic ships of the series...it would be like having Star Wars sets without the X-Wing.

Thank you for the review!

The figures, the special pieces and the nice little details are fantastic, however it just isn't really...good...

I'm sure exactly why but the overall doesn't want me to buy it :pir-sceptic:

Again thank you :pir-sweet:

Brickster, in regards to the figurehead, it seems the skeleton is mounted to the ship by a white skelton arm, the one piece bent at the elbow kind yes? If this is the case, could you not flip it into the down rather then up position and then reattach the skeleton allowing more room for it to face upward and outward instead of looking down?

I am disappointed. This set is really boring. I wish Lego just released whole 1989-1991 line again. That would do the job. This ship doesn't have even half of play features of Black Seas Barracuda. Come on Lego, this is toy! Latest release gave a bit of hope, it was step in right direction. But not, now they released this darker potc line. I love my normal pirates, I'd buy all sets if they release 1989 line again. Please, give me normal pirates, sharks, soldiers, forts, green hideouts :(

Edited by gh_ash

could you not flip it into the down rather then up position and then reattach the skeleton allowing more room for it to face upward and outward instead of looking down?

That's a good idea Deckard. I'll take a look at it again and see of a slight mod might make it better.

In addition, I think I will take the small flags used for the cabin railing (attached to the hammers as seen in the picture below), and use these for regular flags. Dark red would look better, but I think I solved the flag problem. They don't do much for me in terms of adding detail to the cabin.

20.jpg

Despite the weak areas of this set which includes lack of complete cannons and high prices, I think the designers did a great job for a taste like myself.

Mine as well WF, and I've got the Imperial Flagship just below her on the fireplace mantle. What I actually like is that the Queen Anne is slightly smaller and fits on the mantle. If only the Mrs. would appreciate the ships as well as I do. :pir-blush:

On a side note,

I went back to TRU a couple of days ago and immediately spotted the "Buy One, Get One Half Off sale", noticing that the POTC sets were not on the list as mentioned above. I was able to snag most of the other sets except for a few which were sold out. There was one Queen Anne on the shelf. While I wasn't able to take advantage of using the Queen Anne purchase to buy London Escape half off at the time (last week), TRU was offering a free minifig with each purchase over $30 (USD). I snagged a Musketeer and Geisha to add to my collection. Were they worth $25? No, but it was something. Plus I was able to provide this early review. :pir-grin:

Now, each time I look at her, I get that "warm fuzzy". I compare the feeling to when I first purchased a Cafe Corner and the Cargo Train Deluxe, enjoying these sets very much. That tells me that she's a fine set. :thumbup:

Thanks for the review! Under the sunlight, you can really see the beautiful design and coloring of this ship. :thumbup:

I know right.

On a side note, 10179 is significantly better than 7965.

I see what you did there........

Great review!

I built this set myself this past Sunday and was giddy as a school girl throughout the process (except for during the sticker application, which is odd they didn't bother printing these when one considers both the sign and ship painting of the London Escape set are printed).

How anyone could rate this as poor is beyond me. If I ran into such a scurvy scallywagg, I'd promptly send him off a plank into a kindly waiting party of sharks. While there are some shortcomings - no door or wall from the ship to the captain's quarters and a few mentioned in the review, the overall build far outweighs these.

I, for one, absolutely love how deliciously macabre this whole ship is. There's nearly an entire score of skulls on this ship! NINETEEN! I swear it's as if LEGO just quadrupled their entire skull production in the history of their company for this set alone. And it's exactly all these skulls and the bone railings that make it such a unique addition to the world of LEGO ships. I love it. It really taps into that childish sense of pirate adventure for me.

Plus, even though there is no deck, it does appears as if they've designed the build in such a way as to easily add a deck, thereby increasing the realism a bit.

Overall, a fantastic set and I didn't even need to wax adoringly on about the minifigs (which I'm now trying to pass a law in my state to be allowed to legally marry them since I love them so).

Great review!

snip

I, for one, absolutely love how deliciously macabre this whole ship is. There's nearly an entire score of skulls on this ship! NINETEEN! I swear it's as if LEGO just quadrupled their entire skull production in the history of their company for this set alone. And it's exactly all these skulls and the bone railings that make it such a unique addition to the world of LEGO ships. I love it. It really taps into that childish sense of pirate adventure for me.

Plus, even though there is no deck, it does appears as if they've designed the build in such a way as to easily add a deck, thereby increasing the realism a bit.

Overall, a fantastic set and I didn't even need to wax adoringly on about the minifigs (which I'm now trying to pass a law in my state to be allowed to legally marry them since I love them so).

Well said sir. I agree wholeheartedly (apart from that last bit about the marriage - not sure about nuptial relations with the undead?? :pir_laugh2:). So much so that i succumbed today and placed my pre-order for the QAR. Can't wait! :pir-grin: It will be June before she arrives though, hopefully enough time for my credit card to recover!

I saw this at the nearby TRU tonight and took the plunge... love it, great set! The ship needs some work before it'll stand up against the Imperial Flagship, but it's a stylish design with a lot of unique pieces. Fun build, too.

I took a couple of photos for the folks interested in Blackbeard's beard: one of the face underneath, and one illustrating its compatibility with other headgear.

5642765556_df2036e73f.jpg

5642196001_44e1fbd796.jpg

I'm just curious, does Angelica have a double sided face?