WhiteFang

REVIEW: 4181 Isla De Muerta

On a scale of 1 to 5  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

Nothing in the box art looks like it would have made me think the gold bars were going to be chrome.

You must be looking at different pics from the rest of us, the pictures on the box clearly show gold chrome bars.

They're not chrome gold?

41811.jpg

Well on that note, let me say this is an awesome set and a fantastic review.

It's the same basis as the vader transformation set from so many years ago. I for one am thrilled that there are lower priced sets like this for this line.

Excellent Review White Fang! :thumbup:

The treasure looks quite impressive; I can seem myself getting a few of these to accumulate some wealth. :pir-grin:

Some very useful parts in great colors are included with this little set, so it stands out as one of the best in the series. I'm not sure if it is as good as the "fight for the dagger" but it serves a similar function.

Looks like there is some bit of confusion between here and there. Mine set is clearly comes from the Europe region, while this problem seems to surface from the US region. I really wondered if this is intentional. Do you have any pictures showing this new changes?

Here is a photo with the new pearl coins. The coins on the left are some old classic pirate treasure from the 90s. All the new coins have printed 10s on one side and LEGO on the other.

post-16686-130316553793.jpg

I have really mixed feelings about those new coins. I mean, I understand LEGO not going down the chrome road with those gold bars, seeing as they are much larger than the coins. But cheaping out and not doing something they have done for years in the past just kinda bricks me off. :pir-hmpf_bad:

However, I kinda like the new coins at the same time (I know, right! :pir-laugh: ), because it can kinda give some variety to your treasure, as if your pirates have been a lot of places, and some coins are lesser quality than others, but they take 'em anyway. Also, these coins (at least for me) will only be used as the cursed treasure of Cortez, so it is suitable for them to look differently from the rest of the plunder. I'm just upset that they leave them all as 10 gold instead of the usual! (I have, over the years, accumulated over 600 in LEGO gold, plus a lot of gems and jewels, as well as other rare gold objects)

Thank you whitefang for a great review.

Price seems reasonable to me ($20) ? 4 new figs, loads of new and extra accessories and a decent brick selection, plus a rowboat. In fact I think it is under priced this set could have been $30 easily. Wait a minute has SW pricing brainwashed me and now all other sets seem like a great value? :grin:

the pearl coins are a blatant travesty

I have really mixed feelings about those new coins. I mean, I understand LEGO not going down the chrome road with those gold bars, seeing as they are much larger than the coins. But cheaping out and not doing something they have done for years in the past just kinda bricks me off. :pir-hmpf_bad:

However, I kinda like the new coins at the same time (I know, right! :pir-laugh: ), because it can kinda give some variety to your treasure, as if your pirates have been a lot of places, and some coins are lesser quality than others, but they take 'em anyway. Also, these coins (at least for me) will only be used as the cursed treasure of Cortez, so it is suitable for them to look differently from the rest of the plunder. I'm just upset that they leave them all as 10 gold instead of the usual! (I have, over the years, accumulated over 600 in LEGO gold, plus a lot of gems and jewels, as well as other rare gold objects)

well said.

:shark:

Edited by Macoco

Ok, so I was going to buy this as soon as it hit the shelves, now I'm totally gonna buy it this Saturday :pir_laugh2:

Excellent review BTW.

WOW this set is shit

A)That is offensive to some people (and unnecessary)(not trying to be a mod here FYI)

B)This set is now where near this "Sh*t" you say it is. Please go state your opinions somewhere else. Thank you.

Again, moderators, I'm not trying to be a mod here.

Edited by airsoftg36c

A)That is offensive to some people (and unnecessary)(not trying to be a mod here FYI)

B)This set is now where near this "Sh*t" you say it is. Please go state your opinions somewhere else. Thank you.

Again, moderators, I'm not trying to be a mod here.

Ok, I get the point! :pir-tongue:

I do agree with you though, I'll take care of it.

Here is a photo with the new pearl coins. ...

I actually like the fact that they are pearl as my 90's supply of chrome gold coins have accumulated a lot of damage throughout the years. If there is one thing to be said about pearl it is that it doesn't wear. Not as shiny from a distance, but still a great new addition/ alternative to the world of LEGO treasure! :thumbup:

Thanks for the review!

I am not a Lego pirate fan, and I look at pirate sets mostly for interesting and useful parts. While I think the new PoTC theme is very good in this regard, I think this set is one of the least interesting of the bunch. And that's it, because in terms of building there is even less... Even the minifig accessories aren't convincing me.

At least the minifigs are plenty and great (pity tho, that I avoid fleshies, and I really find the new skeleton legs "wrong"), and some colours here are unusual. But all considered, I can't think of this set any better than "below average".

LEGO have tricked us =( the gold bar should have been chrome gold as they are on the box, the pics u have taken har peral gold!! and the coins should have been new. but u have pictures of the old ones =(

Good riddance about the chrome pieces, really.

Sure, chrome looks awesome, but it is not durable. And this is primarily a children product, I think most parents will be happy that the golden stuff will no longer lose its shine after children use.

And that's right, TLG could have kept the chrome, increased 5 USD in cost and kept AFOLs happy and in a perfect world TLG would have done that. But it is not, and children purchases still bypass ours by far.

You must be looking at different pics from the rest of us, the pictures on the box clearly show gold chrome bars.

They're not chrome gold?

, Yeah, the pic shows the typical CGI effect that is used by LEGO to represent pearl gold in boxes, actually. Edited by vexorian

Yeah, the pic shows the typical CGI effect that is used by LEGO to represent pearl gold in boxes, actually.

This is what I was going to say, they do look kind of chrome on the box, but not 100% chrome like the gold of past. I personally am bummed about the ;ack of true chrome gold, but the cost likely makes this a thing of the past.

EDIT: Nevermind, sorry. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Edited by Zeya

This is what I was going to say, they do look kind of chrome on the box, but not 100% chrome like the gold of past. I personally am bummed about the ;ack of true chrome gold, but the cost likely makes this a thing of the past.

I feel the need to quote Lex Luthor: WRONG!!! :pir-classic:

The pictures clearly show real chrome gold bars. Also take a look at this toy fair image Chrome gold bar that clearly show that this was the original plan. The box images also emerged on the net before the the toy fairs showing this chrome gold.

I do not believe for a second that it would have cost Lego 5$ extra to do the gold bars in chrome gold. Looking at the coins and the center part holding the 4 coins I'm pretty sure the chrome gold amount would have been the same on a gold bar as on a coin set. I must say it's shame that they for some reason changed their mind because they looked fantastic!

I actually like this set, it was the first POTC set I bought and I bought it mainly for the figs which are awesome. The other parts come in handy, like the grey slopes and those brown mast pieces. Plus I always welcome another brown rowing boat! The only thing that bugs me is those pearl gold coins and the price. You used to be able to buy a set with a box twice the size of this and it would only cost 12 pounds, this costs 20 in the UK!

Nice review! I'm loving the details on the minifigures. This set is definitely on the top of my "to buy" list.

Just got this yesterday and Barbossa's torso and leg printing is a beauty to behold! :pir-wub: The little cove is nothing special but all the parts in this series in natural earth tones like dark blue, dark tan, dark red and dark brown really give this a very different tone than classic pirates had; darker, more realistic and of course very cinematic. :thumbup:

i don't mind the new pearl coins, it's a relief for me to know that they won't chip and wear like chrome coins do.

I got what Dr. Charles Lightning got. I'm not really happy about it. I just display my sets anyway, so I don't care about the play wearing the chrome off; if they'd have thought that from the beginning, and the box art didn't show the coins and bars with the same shininess as the rock piece (and clearly different from the round 1x1s), I wouldn't really think twice about it... I can't blame them for misleading advertising, as we've only seen pictures from toy fairs and catalogs we weren't supposed to see... IOW, then never advertised it as such...

In this case, though, what they show on the box is clearly different. If you're going to suggest that one shouldn't get the impression of chromed pieces from the box art, you will note that the denominations and text on the coins are from chromed ones, not the new ones... you are clearly not getting what they show on the box.

Not enough to make me want to return it or think that I didn't get a great set, but enough to make do one of these: :pir-hmpf_bad:

Well now that we know at even the coins arent chromed ones, is just a serios let down for me, and i am not gonna get this set probably, the gold ingots i could take yet, but not the coins also. And if i get, those ugly coins i throw somewhere hide for sure.

Captain Becker

I'm just curious about these new pearl gold coins. Are they in every set? Or are they inconsistant throughout the line, like the cardboard backing for the instructions? It's just that I've seen pics from this review that shows the coins as the original chrome versions, but the review of the London Escape set have them as the new coins. Are they just not in all the sets? I really bhope I get some, as I think they will be neat to have.

Awesome review, WhiteFang! Just ordered this set from Play.com :pir-sweet:

I may be wrong, but could that "cryptic code" be saying "Voodoo Jack Sparrow?", (VDJSPW=VooDoo Jack Sparrow)