Sign in to follow this  
Ralph_S

MOC: Scania with trailer and backhoe loader

A few weeks ago I joined several other Dutch builders at Modelshow Europe in Ede. The theme of the show was heavy haulage and ground moving. I don't have many MOCs that fit in that theme, so a few months ago I started building a new truck, before I had to put the project on hold. I moved house, which meant my LEGO was packed away for a few months. As soon as my LEGO room reached a point where I could build again, I unpacked my truck and continued building.

Fitting in the theme of the show, I decided to build a Scania with a stepframe trailer and a JCB backhoe loader. I managed to finish both the truck and trailer in time for the show, but unfortunately didn't have time to build the backhoe loader.

5573924713_e682f53d8b.jpg

Scania with Nooteboom stepframe trailer (1) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I wanted my truck to have a knuckleboom crane like many trucks used for this sort of task. It is fully functional, in the sense that it can be unfolded and extended like the real deal. It is fairly fragile though, so it can't carry much of a load.

5573921731_109330ce9c.jpg

Scania with HIAB crane (4) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The trailer is modeled after a design by the Dutch company Nooteboom and like the real trailer can be extended for carrying long loads. I obviously don't need this for the JCB, but wanted to have the functionality regardless.

5574509920_0b1f90acf0.jpg

Scania with Nooteboom stepframe trailer (7) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The trailer also has two-piece loading ramps at the back, to allow vehicles to driven on or off.

5573923817_a38e12a623.jpg

Scania with Nooteboom stepframe trailer (4) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The backhoe loader has already been spotted by DLuders. I didn't finish it in time for the show unfortunately. It took a fair bit of fiddling, because I wanted it to look good and to have a fairly high degree of functionality as well. The front scoop is fully articulated.

5573569825_245ce75025.jpg

JCB Backhoe loader (3) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The excavator arm is also fully functional.

5574155080_de30d22662.jpg

JCB Backhoe loader (5) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

I may not have finished the whole combination in time for the show, but I quite like it sitting on my shelf!

Cheers,

Ralph

Outstanding MOC! It has both excellent looks and excellent functionality. I particularly like the colour schme of it, green and yellow work well for this vehicle. :thumbup:

Extremely well done. :classic:

~buddy~

you made a geat job look forward to your next project :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Thanks guys. Two months without building anything was no fun, but there was light at the end of the tunnel. OK, I'm being dramatic. Anyway, I was very happy to finally finish this.

Outstanding MOC! It has both excellent looks and excellent functionality. I particularly like the colour schme of it, green and yellow work well for this vehicle. :thumbup:

Extremely well done. :classic:

~buddy~

Thank you.

I knew that whatever vehicle this was going to carry would likely be yellow, so I figured it would look nice to have some yellow in the colour scheme of the actual truck as well and these trailer often have a yellow stripe anyway. I had a little look at what other parts I had available in different colours. It turned out that green was one of the colours in which I had all the parts I needed to build the cab. I wanted the truck to look nice, but not overly 'customised'. It's supposed to be a work vehicle after all and I felt that there already are enough details to keep thing interesting without a fancy 'paint job'.

Ousstanding as always Ralph_S! I saw the back hoe a few days ago it is great.

Are there any pictures of the show? :thumbup:

There are. There's a link in my first post to another post here by Bricksonwheels with two videos showing all the LEGO models on display. There are also a couple of pictures in my photostream on flickr.

My models are tiny compared to those built by my fellow Dutch truck lovers.

Cheers,

Ralph

Wow, the trucks on barebos' YouTube

and
are fantastic! Thanks for pointing them out, Ralph_S ! :classic:

It is really a good example of love for detail. I have seen this one for real on the show in the video's above were Ralph and me were both present, and it is a beauty in real life too.

Wow, the trucks on barebos' YouTube

and
are fantastic! Thanks for pointing them out, Ralph_S ! :classic:

There was some good stuff. Most of the models there were die-cast or metal, but the public seemed to appreciate our LEGO models too -certainly the children. It was a nice event and I hope to attend next year's too.

It is really a good example of love for detail. I have seen this one for real on the show in the video's above were Ralph and me were both present, and it is a beauty in real life too.

Thanks Dennis. It's a shame I didn't complete the JCB before the show, as the combo looks much more interesting with something on the trailer. Then again, there is always next year!

Cheers,

Ralph

Thanks guys. One of the nicest comments I got at the show was that despite the relatively small scale my trucks don't look all that much less detailed than many much larger LEGO models people had seen. It's probably more true of the DAF truck I had on display than of the Scania, but it made my day.

Cheers,

Ralph

Great work. I really like how you manage to add small details to the surface, such as jumped surfaces (half stud offsets), a clean color scheme and functionality. Even a fragile crane is better than a stationary one because of the posability. I bet you even have a nice interior as well (I'm such a n00b at browsing flickr).

It is clear that you have crammed in everything needed for full functionality of the front scoop while still keeping the right dimensions.

But.

The many holes in the front arms makes it look like a different style than the rest of the creation. It stands out as Technic rather than Model Team, breaking the flow just a bit. '

BTW. The center and rear part of the backhoe as well as the rear shot of the truck: Absolutely drool worthy!

1:22 > 1:13

Great work. I really like how you manage to add small details to the surface, such as jumped surfaces (half stud offsets), a clean color scheme and functionality. Even a fragile crane is better than a stationary one because of the posability. I bet you even have a nice interior as well (I'm such a n00b at browsing flickr).

It is clear that you have crammed in everything needed for full functionality of the front scoop while still keeping the right dimensions.

But.

The many holes in the front arms makes it look like a different style than the rest of the creation. It stands out as Technic rather than Model Team, breaking the flow just a bit. '

BTW. The center and rear part of the backhoe as well as the rear shot of the truck: Absolutely drool worthy!

1:22 > 1:13

Thanks Lasse. I agree on the backhoe, actually.

I'll quote one of the captions I wrote for the pictures:

I'm not much of a Technic builder and generally don't like the aesthetic of all the open beams. This build involved more Technic parts than most that I've done, and I've tried to give it a more realistic look. I haven't quite succeeded on the front of the loader, but I am very happy with how the rear looks.

I should probably look into buying more 1x4 and 1x5 technic plates in yellow, as they have fewer holes.

Cheers,

Ralph

Excellent work as always, Ralph_S. I really like your Nooteboom trailer. It looks like one of their OSDS semi low-loaders.

Thanks guys. The exact terminology that is used to describe a trailer like this seems to different between the US and UK. It's a semi-low-loader or stepframe trailer depending on where you come from, but the trailer is modeled after a Nooteboom OSDS trailer. I'm glad it shows :-)

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

Very impressive indeed. Love the crane attachment and the backhoe is very detailed. I have always been a fan of the elegant looks of JCB backhoe/loaders and this is a great representation of one, not only looks, but functionality as well. Maybe a bit off-topic, but the new(er) 8069 Backhoe/Loader being sold right now is very realistic in terms of looks and functionality, and while unlike a lot of Technic fans, I am more of a fan of the studless beam designs, but this backhoe (the one posted here) is really nice.

Instructions, maybe at some point?

Very impressive indeed. Love the crane attachment and the backhoe is very detailed. I have always been a fan of the elegant looks of JCB backhoe/loaders and this is a great representation of one, not only looks, but functionality as well. Maybe a bit off-topic, but the new(er) 8069 Backhoe/Loader being sold right now is very realistic in terms of looks and functionality, and while unlike a lot of Technic fans, I am more of a fan of the studless beam designs, but this backhoe (the one posted here) is really nice.

Instructions, maybe at some point?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I hadn't seen that there'd been a new message in this thread. Thanks for the complements. I often try to add some functionality to my models. On this scale it is a bit easier to add functionality whilst maintaining decent looks than on. say, minifig scale. I'm not a hard=core Technic builder obviously, and the backhoe posed an interesting challenge. They are interesting machines.

Cheers,

Ralph