Sign in to follow this  
Brickdoctor

[MOC] The Outpost

indexed.gif

5504982658_8007a69eb0_b.jpg

Ever since I saw Dan Church'sThe Outer Wall, I've been wanting to try out the SNOT wall technique. I really love the fact that the tiles' edges are more rounded off than those of bricks, so you get more definition between pieces and a more 'stony' look. Once I had the wall, I just had to try out a corner - with no spaces between the tiles on the corner. A lot of times builders use a brick studs-up with studs on its sides to attach tiles for this, but then you end up with half-plate gaps.

And I decided to make it an outpost because I wanted to fit everything into an 8x8 vig. That and I was running out of spare 1 x 1 tiles in light bley. :grin:

5504388913_5a48fcfeff_b.jpg

So here's a view of the back, a cutaway view of the tower. One of the things I really wanted was a wooden roof for this remote fortification, and since I was going for a non-violent scene, I added a couple animals. You can see a yellow bird in the rafters here. Originally, he was supposed to be outside, but I can't seem to find the right pieces in my collection to make him in any other color, and as a yellow bird on the grass he would have stood out too much and stolen attention from the Crusader.

5504389279_92ca339e26_b.jpg

Another pneumatic tubing pose. Really didn't think the brown went well with the Crusader uniform, but I only own the tubing in that color. This was actually one of the tougher poses I've done. The tubing wants to spring upward and outward of this position, so I had to wedge the 'string' of the crossbow under the helmet's chin guard.

5504983658_6f40018caf_b.jpg

There's a frog hiding in the grass here. Totally out of place, I know. Pretend there's a pond a few studs out of sight.

5504984084_f823d46d8e_b.jpg

I struggled with this area, because the sci-fi greeblist in me wanted to cover it in weapons and gear. In the end, I settled for a simple torch, ladder, and barrel; and I'm quite happy with it.

Finished March 2011; also on Legoarts, flickr, and MOCpages.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome! :classic:

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Lovely work! The rock wall looks great, very inventive tiling method. Same with the roof. You've managed to cram a ton of detail onto a small base.

Awesome creation. :thumbup:

I'm confused. How are the arms doing that.

5L pneumatic tubing. Goes through the torso with a hand squeezed in at each end. Then I've got two rubber flexible arms that are extremely versatile. Only works on older minifigs without the plastic down the middle of the torso, though.

Excellent SNOT creation 'Brickdoctor', I also like the ladder....very clever use of arms and tubing ! :thumbup:

Brick On 'Doc'.....totally Brick On ! :grin:

Another very nice historical vignette Doc! At first I thought it looked a bit incomplete or it was sort of an outpost ruins, until I realized it's just a cutaway portion of a bigger structure cramped on an 8x8 vig. The SNOT walls are well done, and your signature minifig posing is excellent as always. :thumbup:

Firstly I love it, so much detail in this tiny vig, the wall is very well done and I like the roof, I'm not sure about the very top though I want to put a brown plate under so it sits flat if you know what I mean.

I love the posing too, aswell as the lil bird and the sword on the front of the base.

If you did put a ton of weapons underneath I wouldn't of mind :wink: an outpost needs a variety of weapons for the variety of enemies :laugh:

but I do like the simple things and I quite like that ladder too :thumbup:

The more I see awesome vigs like this makes me want to try a proper detailed steampunk one.

A deliciously detailed vig, proper job :thumbup:

Very nice MOC. Every piece is right at its place IMO. Though I do have my doubts about the position of the torch (let's hope it won't lit the stairs some day :wink: ).

I've always wondered how people were able yo get those bases of their vig so nice and round (I mean, I understand the use of the bowed 1x1x2 bricks, but I never understood how you get the two parts to connect. I always end up with either 2 studs against each other or just the other way around without any studs to connect them to). Oh well, I'll keep trying.

Edited by Dream Team

Excellent SNOT creation 'Brickdoctor', I also like the ladder....very clever use of arms and tubing ! :thumbup:

Brick On 'Doc'.....totally Brick On ! :grin:

Another very nice historical vignette Doc! At first I thought it looked a bit incomplete or it was sort of an outpost ruins, until I realized it's just a cutaway portion of a bigger structure cramped on an 8x8 vig. The SNOT walls are well done, and your signature minifig posing is excellent as always. :thumbup:

Thanks. :sweet:

I like the roof, I'm not sure about the very top though I want to put a brown plate under so it sits flat if you know what I mean.

I purposely made the tiles slanted. I tried a flat version, and it looked out of place next to the staggered shingles on the front side.

If you did put a ton of weapons underneath I wouldn't of mind :wink: an outpost needs a variety of weapons for the variety of enemies :laugh:

I was going for a 'less is more' look there. I had very little space to work with, so I wanted everything to be visible and not seem cramped. Of course, this vig represents only a quarter of one tower, so for all I know there could be a weapons stash a few studs away.

Though I do have my doubts about the position of the torch (let's hope it won't lit the stairs some day :wink: ).

You can't see it from this angle, but there is sufficient clearance so that the flame can swing around from wall to wall without touching anything flammable. (other than its fuel, or course)

I've always wondered how people were able yo get those bases of their vig so nice and round (I mean, I understand the use of the bowed 1x1x2 bricks, but I never understood how you get the two parts to connect. I always end up with either 2 studs against each other or just the other way around without any studs to connect them to). Oh well, I'll keep trying.

You want the latter. Then where it looks like I have a Plate 1 x 2 on the side, it's actually a Plate 2 x 2 corner so that then there's a 1 x 1 portion of the plate that sticks out on the inside but doesn't touch the vig's plate base. A Plate 1 x 1 with lamp holder is attached to that (lamp holder portion to bottom of plate) and I use Brick 1 x 1s and studs on the other side of the lamp holder to connect to the other half of the base.

Nice SNOT wall, looks really like stone blocks. The crusaders arms/tubing pose is awesome and the roof is nice.

Are you planning to make a larger wall section?

Are you planning to make a larger wall section?

Maybe in the distant future, but not right now. I'm fresh out of 1 x 1 and 1 x 2 tiles in light bley. (I had to steal some from my T-47 and a WIP I'm working on)

Though the overall look is not that surprising, this vignette has lots of hidden beauties. It is very creative and stuffed with clever techniques. Good job!

The first pic makes it look great! I love the detail and techniques, but the backside shows the ugly plate undersides. Try flipping the studs or putting the plates on bricks to make the back look smoother.

The first pic makes it look great! I love the detail and techniques, but the backside shows the ugly plate undersides. Try flipping the studs or putting the plates on bricks to make the back look smoother.

Tried that. This is the thinnest I can make the construction that holds up the corner of the wall, and any thicker and there'll be no interior. I'm telling myself it's because the rocks on the inside aren't shaped as well.

Im a little bit scared of that fire under the wooden ladders! :classic:

The fire can rotate all the way from wall to wall without touching anything flammable other than it's source of fuel, and the tower is sheltered from wind. :sweet:

That's a lot of SNOTwork. Took a second to even find an area with studs-up stuff other than the ground. :thumbup: The roof looks great especially, the use of the tiles overlapping kinda makes it look like real wood. Good one.

That's a lot of SNOTwork. Took a second to even find an area with studs-up stuff other than the ground. :thumbup: The roof looks great especially, the use of the tiles overlapping kinda makes it look like real wood. Good one.

Thanks. Well, you know me, a SNOT lover at heart. :grin:

And if you want to build it, I was parting this out the other day, and just so I don't forget how to remake it should I ever redo this, I made an LDD model! Color coded, too:

5548508462_d4ae57c37e_b.jpg

Full explanation here, .lxf file is here. :classic: