Oswald the Rabbit

General Pirates of the Caribbean Theme Discussion Thread

The Australian Prices are up on the Mr Toys Website, from AU$25 for the Captain's Cabin to AU$200 for Queen Anne's Revenge.

Wow, that's really heavily overprized, as I see it. Especially because most of them are 10 more Euros than USD. Okay, that's not entirely new, but it's yet annoying. :pir-hmpf_bad: I'm not sure I'll buy them at this condition, but I'll have to wait for my anger to fade and then look forward.

Agreed. The sets look incredibly good and the minifigs are great, but man these are some steep prices. Online they'll probably be just bit cheaper, but nonetheless this is quite pricey. But on the other hand: the quality of the sets is also very good. Mmmm difficult to decide which (and how many) sets to buy...

I have a problem with the color choise with 2 of the minifigures.

Barbossa would look much better with a dark grey torso, him being all black isnt right.

Gibbs' west should be more blue than gray.

I think it's odd tlc picked the colors they did, annoying.

Store manager told me they hit shelves on April 19th, I'm excited.

Which store? My grubby hands must get hold of them!

Store manager told me they hit shelves on April 19th, I'm excited.

Well thats where you live :pirate_sad2:

Edited by minuteman

The Australian Prices are up on the Mr Toys Website, from AU$25 for the Captain's Cabin to AU$200 for Queen Anne's Revenge.

Yep, they are the prices I was told about over a month, but I promised not to say anything....hey, you don't shoot your sources of information do you ? :pir-devil:

Instead of the Lucas Tax, it's now the Mickey Mouse Tax ! :pir_laugh2:

Now some here claiming a store will have them in April.....must be a Lego branded store ? :pir-sceptic:

Releasedate is 11th May and seemingly in all stores and euro-prices are confirmed.

14,99 cabin

26,99 Isla de la muerta

26,99 fountain

39,99 cannibals

49,99 mill

59,99 London

89,99 lighthouse

129,99 Queen Anne´s Revenge

:pir-oh3::pir-oh3::pir-oh3: My wallet is doomed. :pir_bawling:

Yep, they are the prices I was told about over a month, but I promised not to say anything....hey, you don't shoot your sources of information do you ? :pir-devil:

Instead of the Lucas Tax, it's now the Mickey Mouse Tax ! :pir_laugh2:

Now some here claiming a store will have them in April.....must be a Lego branded store ? :pir-sceptic:

According to Mr Toys Toyworld (Brisbane, Aus.) site, the PotC prices are as follows:

4195 $200 (as mentioned earlier)

4194 $140

4193 $100

4192 $40

4191 $25 (as mentioned earlier)

4183 $80

4182 $60

4181 $40

I don't imagine too many people in Australia being prepared to pay full retail prices for many (if any) of these sets.

Edited by hewman

Why is everyone keep talking about a UCS Black Pearl? Is there actually any news for this or is it just wishful thinking. As far as I know Lego have only released StarWas sets under the UCS tittle, so what makes everyone assume that there is going to be a Black Pearl. No other Licence theme apart from Star Wars has had UCS sets.

Maybe not "UCS" per se but...Harry Potter's "Diagon Alley". Gives HOPE that something like a 'UCS' Black Pearl might come down the pipe.

I'm not sure I'll buy them at this condition, but I'll have to wait for my anger to fade and then look forward.

I have to buy them, I'm the biggest Pirates of the Caribbean fan in our family. But it will ruin my wallet. :pir_bawling:

I fear that if prices are too high then it will stop people buying them and that Lego are mainly relying on the POTC fanbase to keep the theme from being lost into the depths of davy jones locker. :pir-oh3:

Edited by lt.Gonville brickhead

I have no fear of higher than normal prices, I'll just buy the sets when Target has 20% off and Myer's has 25% off or similar ! :pir_laugh2:

I fear that if prices are too high then it will stop people buying them and that Lego are mainly relying on the POTC fanbase to keep the theme from being lost into davy jones locker.

I don't really care since as the sets are announced, they will be released and I'm only looking for new parts, as most MOCers are, which I'll get through Bricklink!

But I'm pretty sure there are going to be enough kids begging their parents for PotC sets.

Ohh yes, I'm pretty sure that POTC has a large enough fan base that overlaps with the Lego target age to create ample sales. The sets look great, for parts or for...well whatever you do with Lego; play, collect, display, etc. The minifigures and new parts are what really make these special (though I LOVE POTC, so i suppose that I'm a bit biased).

What's puzzeling to me, is that (dare I say the accursed name, no, better play it safe...) Mega BLEEP(s) did a whole POTC thing for At Worlds End, so where does that leave buyers? (besides the fact that they should repurchase sets from Lego for it's superior quality and should never have patronized Mega-who-must-not-be-named in the first place)

By the way, does Eurobricks have a name for what I mentioned above (the competitor for Lego)? I've only heard it used in the place of a swearword by members, so...

Well, if not, I'll just keep making up my own (though someone probably thought them up already without me knowing it).

Can't wait for the sets to come out, as well as the game and On Stranger Tides. :pir-classic:

What's puzzeling to me, is that (dare I say the accursed name, no, better play it safe...) Mega BLEEP(s) did a whole POTC thing for At Worlds End, so where does that leave buyers? (besides the fact that they should repurchase sets from Lego for it's superior quality and should never have patronized Mega-who-must-not-be-named in the first place)

LOL; I hadn't even thought about that until now. When I was a younger fan of LEGO I used to be strongly against Mega BLEEPs and any other such pretenders, to the point where I converted my entire family into anti-Mega BLEEPs fanatics. This was more important when my only supply of LEGO came from birthday and Christmas presents, so brand recognition was Serious Business. If you only have two chances a year to get your favorite brand of bricks, you don't want to risk someone getting you the wrong kind by mistake. :pir-classic: Now, however, not so much. And yet...

My mother mentioned recently that she'd spent an entire afternoon separating the LEGOs from the Mega BLEEPs in the youth room of the church where she works...I'm a little chagrined at this, since I don't know how much those kids care which brands they're playing with. :pir_laugh2:

But I'm afraid my love for all things Pirate temporarily overrode my love for LEGO when Dead Man's Chest came out; I just had to have the small Mega BLEEP Jack Sparrow set because it came with a cool-looking plastic case that looked like Jack's compass from the films. It was so cool that I even wore it with my pirate costume one year. Still, I caused a small uproar when I came home with a Mega BLEEP set. :pir-tongue:

It didn't bother me too much at the time; I even kept the figure and bricks the compass came with, but now that we're getting the real deal, I may have to have a ceremonial plank-walking with the LEGO Sparrow forcing the pretender overboard. :pirate_skel1:

TC

It didn't bother me too much at the time; I even kept the figure and bricks the compass came with, but now that we're getting the real deal, I may have to have a ceremonial plank-walking with the LEGO Sparrow forcing the pretender overboard. :pirate_skel1:

Make it an MOC and show it off!

On topic though, the last POTC sets in that other line came out four years ago, like you said, with At World's End. I don't think it will cause much of a problem. TLG now has the rights to make sets from all the POTC movies, so if you want the new ones, get them, and if you have the old ones and like them (unlikely, but whatever) don't. It's not a critical decision.

Has anyone read the book On Stranger Tides? It was written in the 80s and was one of the inspirations for POTC altogether. Main character is named Jack even. They decided with this fourth movie to give the novel the movie treatment. It's supposed to be pretty good and I'm going to get a copy to read in my free time (what free time?). They're supposed to have a new printing run to coincide with the movie release. The older copies are slightly more expensive. Wish I had an ebook reader.

To be honest, I too bought a lot of Mega bleep, na I'm gonna say it, I know I can Mega.. B..BL... bl... Bloc..B..Bloc..ks.

Pff, Glad that that's out. :pir-tongue: But I bought them because I really love Pirates. I used that compass too in my costume :pir-cry_happy:

I also bought the pearl and I do think that I will keep using it untill the real Pearl comes out, Maybe even after that. It looks nice on the outside but is really empty. :pir-hmpf_bad::(

Has anyone read the book On Stranger Tides? It was written in the 80s and was one of the inspirations for POTC altogether. Main character is named Jack even. They decided with this fourth movie to give the novel the movie treatment. It's supposed to be pretty good and I'm going to get a copy to read in my free time (what free time?). They're supposed to have a new printing run to coincide with the movie release. The older copies are slightly more expensive. Wish I had an ebook reader.

Im sure the book is pretty good. But don't forget, this is the forth(yawn) movie in a series that is not known for actually having any sort of plot. Its a typical Hollywood movie, so don't expect it to be anything like the book. Very few films that are based on a book are actually anything like the book. The books are always better, with a few rare exceptions...JAWS!

But don't forget, this is the forth(yawn) movie in a series that is not known for actually having any sort of plot.

Uhm... Pirates 1-3 has had their own really well developed storyline, so it don't see why you say that it's plot-less.

Pirates 1: Jack wants to get The Pearl back, and Barbossa tries to reverse the curse of the undead crew.

Pirates 2: Jack is in search for the heart of Davy Jones to save him from his deal made with Jones years ago, Will and Elizabeth tries to get Married but are interrupted by Lord Beckett who also wants the heart of Jones.

Pirates 3: Will and Elizabeth sails to world's end with the resurrected Captain Barbossa to bring back Jack Sparrow from the dead. Meanwhile, Lord Beckett has taken control over the seas by using Davy Jones as his puppet. Barbossa also wants to free the sea godess Calypso so that she can help them in the war against Lord Beckett and the EITC.

Looks like a very good plot to me. :jollyroger:

I've read the book, but I don't really see how you could adapt it to PotC without heavily changing a lot of it. I think they've bought the rights mostly so they can use the general theme of the fountain of youth and title without legal issues. I can't see there being much correlation between the two beyond that.

disney bought the right to that book a long long time agao, before the potc was a movie thing. The movie OST isnt an adaption of the book only heavy inspiration.

Uhm... Pirates 1-3 has had their own really well developed storyline, so it don't see why you say that it's plot-less.

Pirates 1: Jack wants to get The Pearl back, and Barbossa tries to reverse the curse of the undead crew.

Pirates 2: Jack is in search for the heart of Davy Jones to save him from his deal made with Jones years ago, Will and Elizabeth tries to get Married but are interrupted by Lord Beckett who also wants the heart of Jones.

Pirates 3: Will and Elizabeth sails to world's end with the resurrected Captain Barbossa to bring back Jack Sparrow from the dead. Meanwhile, Lord Beckett has taken control over the seas by using Davy Jones as his puppet. Barbossa also wants to free the sea godess Calypso so that she can help them in the war against Lord Beckett and the EITC.

Looks like a very good plot to me. :jollyroger:

Yes, the plot. Well the first movie was pretty decent, the second was ok and the third was a complete mess. That's not just my opinion either, if you look online you will see that the majority of movie goers will agree with that. As far a plots go, those films wouldn't win any awards. If you took Depp and Rush out the first film you would be stuck with the extremely bad acting of Orlando and Kiera which was cringe worthy. Then what was up with that whole Calypso thing? They built it up, only for her to turn into a bunch of crabs then go back into the sea. Big letdown. Still, the films were enjoyable even tho they weren't great and thanks to the them we now have a cool Lego theme.

I've read the book, but I don't really see how you could adapt it to PotC without heavily changing a lot of it. I think they've bought the rights mostly so they can use the general theme of the fountain of youth and title without legal issues. I can't see there being much correlation between the two beyond that.

Oh I figured the book is way different. They already made 3 movies so they have to tie in, plus hollywood always changes book-based movies to fit for time and other things. I was mostly wondering if the book was good and worth reading.