Sign in to follow this  
pedro

REVIEW: 7696 Private Jet

43 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of 7696 Private Jet?

• The only way to fly!
    • Classy cloud-runner.
    • Middle of the flight path.
    • Delayed for now...
    • Permanently grounded.

index2.jpg

7696-01.jpg

Introduction

I flew out to Vancouver recently with British Airways on a short business trip. It's a long flight at about 9 and a half hours. It doesn't matter how much diversionary material you pack along for a trip that length, you'll still find yourself perusing the inflight magazines... and possibly inventing amusing scenarios for the chracters that grace the safety card!

British Airway's Highlife is the king of airline editions in that they have a rather nice shop selection... stocked with LEGO. Instant win! I hadn't travelled with them for a quite a while I flew at the chance to buy 7688 stunt plane as I flicked through the heavily leafed pages.

3 nights, 3 days and a dose of jet-lag later and I reached for the Highlife magazine to find the newest edition. I didn't think it likely there'd be a new set within it's pages, but was pleasantly surprised to find 7696 landed but ready for take-off from it's pages! Again I dived at the opportunity to get this, the latest arrival to the airline promotional fleet. And very glad I am that I did too...

Stats

Set name: Private Jet

Set number: 7696

Theme: City

Release date: 2011

Price: GBP 15

Pieces: TBC

Minifigs: 2

Resources: Bricklink Highlife Shop

The Box

7696-05.jpg

The first thing to notice about the box is that it follows the space-saving dimensions of LEGO's other airline promo sets - here compared with 7688 - and stream-lined so that many can be stocked in limited space. In the past I've still found that the boxes can suffer some crushing, but as you'll see by the pictures, this wasn't so bad this time (the box of 7688 was flawless...).

7696-02.jpg

The front of the box features a scene picturing the set in typical LEGO format, with a nice 3-quarter view of the jet and the captain personally greeting the business man prior to the flight. The environment behind them is pictured in typical LEGO cut-out sytle with the indistinct shape of airport and city in the background, completing the scene.

7696-03.jpg

The back of the box is split into 3 panes showing various actions and functionality shots such as the opening passneger compartment.

7696-04.jpg

As always, a minifig is depicted on the side to give an indication of scale - in this case the jovial, bearded captain.

Contents

7696-06.jpg

Inside the box there's the instruction manual, 2 un-numbered plastic bags, 2 loose elements and a DSS for the tail fin. I did find it slightly odd that one wedge plate was loose and the other wasn't?

7696-09.jpg

There's a fair selection of parts. I hastily counted 110 but I'm not too sure. If anyone wants to count the number in the image above, be my guest :wink:. There's no uniques parts, with everything available in other LEGO sets.

7696-07.jpg

The instruction manual, folded in half so that it fits snugly into the box.

7696-08.jpg

...and a random page from the manual.

The Build

7696-10.jpg

There are 2 minifigs are included in the set are standard LEGO fayre: a captain in nicely printed uniform and a young, russet haired business man with suitcase. Both minifigs are composed of commonly found parts but are nice nonetheless, though I think the captian would look better with a black 'police' hat.

7696-11.jpg

As always, starting off simple..

7696-12.jpg

...each step adds only 2 or more bricks, but never more than a handful. I'd imagine this keeps things simple for the young 'uns.

7696-13.jpg

Wings are attached...

7696-14.jpg

...and the engines are added. The jet takes on easily identifyable features and begins to take shape.

7696-15.jpg

7696-16.jpg

The jet is build to open from the side so that the crew can easily be positioned within. There's even a little space for luggage!

7696-17.jpg

Finally the wheels are attached... this bird is ready for take-off!

Finished Model

7696-18.jpg

The Private Jet in all it's glory. For it's size and parts count, this is a beautifully realised aircraft.

7696-19.jpg

Side view: the jet has a nice, aerodynamic shape to it. The details on the wings add to the sleek design.

7696-20.jpg

From the rear of the Private Jet, there's a small indent directly behind the engines due to construction constraints but this doesn't harm the overall aesthetic.

7696-21.jpg

Mr Entrepeneur embarked and ready for his flight. His suitcase fits neatly in the space behind his seat... though tends to shake around a bit if the flight gets bumpy! There is a small space right at the back of the plane whcih could be used as an alternate storage area or used for additional cargo.

7696-22.jpg

The front of the cockpit can be detached to position the captain at the controls. It's a snug fit but there's enough room for some basic posing.

Conclusion

Over the past couple of years' travels I seem to have inadvertently become a collector of airline promo sets... much to my delight!

With the 7696 Private Jet, you get a superb, solid little private jet that's highly swooshable and in my opinion soars above the previous stunt-plane style offerings. It's a simple build, taking around 20 minutes, and reminds me of the classic passenger aircraft that LEGO used to be available but scaled down to a level of neat efficiency - for example it's great to see a modest interior in such a small model. There's even some potential to increase the capacity of the cabin by removing some of the elements that act as luggage storage.

For £15 this set may not have the best price to parts ratio, but it's exclusivity and simple yet effective design make it well worth the investment. If you find yourself flying with British Airways then you can't gor far wrong investing in this, whether you fancy some in-flight building or savour it at home. Alternatively you can buy it from the Highlife shop online without having to step on a plane, just hit the link at the top of the review.

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed the ride!

7696-23.jpg

Edited by Zorbas
Indexed

Nice review.

I wish that some of the airlines around here sold these things.

But it seems like if I want one, I gotta buy from Bricklink for $$$, buy limited quantities from some airline online shop (if I am luck and if they ship to Australia) or fly to Europe.

Great review! I really wish Lego made these planes available to the public. I'm sure they'd sell like hot cakes! BTW, did you pay in pounds or Canadian dollars? I'm wondering what it would cost in Canadian.

I want one! :sweet: Thanks for sharing this excellent review pedro! :thumbup: I really would've loved to have this set, IMO this is the best small plane that TLG released because of its overall aerodynamic design, professional color scheme, and proper proportions perfect for a private jet.

What a beautiful plane, and a fantastic way to bring the new airline's livery into older airports, such as my 10159. I will be sure to pick this one up ASAP.

Excellent review 'pedro', neat little set....it sort of have that classic town feeling to it. :classic:

15 GBP does seem a little high, but it's an exclusive....they are generally dearer ! :wink:

Be nice to see Lego do a general release with a set like this....it would sell well ! :wink:

Keep on flying ! :grin:

Great review! Like others, I wish these sets were available for people who aren't flying with British Airways.

BTW, did you pay in pounds or Canadian dollars? I'm wondering what it would cost in Canadian.

I paid pounds in both directions of my flight so I've no idea what it is in CAD. If I find myself on the same trip anytime soon I'll find out. :wink:

Great review. Nice looking plane, a bit pricy though.

Is £15 really that pricy for this? LEGO's pricing is ever on the increase and £15 seems to be the going rate for a low-medium build set like this. As an example, I've been looking at buying the 7639 Camper recently which retails at £14.99. Okay it's got 55 more pieces, but many of these are accessories - when complete it's probably comparable in terms of scale. The Private Jet has far fewer accessories, but is a superb example of this type of small aircraft. And it's exclusive.

I really would've loved to have this set, IMO this is the best small plane that TLG released because of its overall aerodynamic design, professional color scheme, and proper proportions perfect for a private jet.

The white/dark blue colour scheme is striking and says class! I've not opened my 7688 Stunt Plane yet, but having seen the review I'm sure I'm remain most impressed by this set.

Cute little plane! I thought models of this small size would not be released any more since Lego moved on to 6 wide cars and bigger planes in their airport sets. But it's somehow nice to see this as I remember it from a catalogue from my childhood.

Nice review. It's making me excited, I just received the email confirmation that my order has been dispatched, so hopefully be with me soon.

I've got to admit, this will fit in just nicely with my 6392 airport (My link). I think that it would be a little pricey per part if this was just a regular set, however given the exclusivity and sheer awesome design, I'm not begrudging my £18.

Will be a fun distraction for my days off from work :classic:

Wow-- ASTOUNDINGLY NICE little set. It's a real shame they didn't put this in the general release... I'd definitely have picked one up. Thanks for the review-- very nice photography

Lovely review, mine is in the post :wink:

The reason I got mine is because of the nostalgic 4 wide design just like the good old days :classic:

The newer 8 wide planes with all their prefab uglyness are just awful :sick:

They are far too big, why did they change the size? :hmpf_bad:

Anyways, this plane looks great and you've certainly done a great job reviewing it :thumbup:

Great review - I must get over to the staff shop - this reminds me very much of the very first Airport set I had back in the 80's.

It's nice to see aircraft are still being built in classic style, though I miss the use of older parts/bricks, like the nose, the engines (now with four studs) and more elegant roof parts. The tail also could be a little better, imo. It also could need a front wheel that can turn. But that can be fixed :wink:

I can't help to compare it to 1775 Aircraft, also a promotional set, but from 1994.

But still, it's on my wishlist. Fits perfectly with my airport collection :wink:

Excellent review! I haven't got this set but this is probably the only recent airline exclusive set which I hope to get multiples, mainly because it appears to be Classic Town looking and a passenger plane for airports. :wub:

I really hope I can get my hands on this set one way or another. Thanks for sharing! It have been a long time since I last saw you around.

I paid pounds in both directions of my flight so I've no idea what it is in CAD. If I find myself on the same trip anytime soon I'll find out. :wink:

Is £15 really that pricy for this? LEGO's pricing is ever on the increase and £15 seems to be the going rate for a low-medium build set like this. As an example, I've been looking at buying the 7639 Camper recently which retails at £14.99. Okay it's got 55 more pieces, but many of these are accessories - when complete it's probably comparable in terms of scale. The Private Jet has far fewer accessories, but is a superb example of this type of small aircraft. And it's exclusive.

The white/dark blue colour scheme is striking and says class! I've not opened my 7688 Stunt Plane yet, but having seen the review I'm sure I'm remain most impressed by this set.

15 pounds is less than $25 CAD. That in itself is not pricy. It's the additional costs of going through BrickLink or flying British Airways to acquire the set that makes it expensive. It seems to be temporary unavailable on the High Life online shop now. :sad:

It's a good looking plane.

Great review 'pedro' :thumbup: Looks like a great set. The only thing I don't like is the new hinge pieces. Its just too bad this isn't available to the mass public :sad: I hate when TLG does that...

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

My pleasure to share this set with you all.

I can't help to compare it to 1775 Aircraft, also a promotional set, but from 1994.

That's what I thought - very much in the classic vein but with a modern twist. I like it a lot. Not sure if I'm sold on the new aircraft designs, they say Playmobil too much to me... it's LEGO I collect!

I really hope I can get my hands on this set one way or another. Thanks for sharing! It have been a long time since I last saw you around.

Get yourself on some international flights! Not really the best option I guess... :wink:

I've gone a bit dark recenlty due to family and work... but I'm easing myself back in. :classic:

Nice review! BTW, your intro photo is much better than the box shot. :wub: (Theirs has too much reflection.)

Thanks for the great review!

I think this set is so standard, that if it wasn't for the colours and a couple of pieces it could have been made in the late 80s :tongue: Nevertheless, I always like this kind of airplane design. It's neat, and doesn't use any oversized brick, so building is fun enough and parts are reusable. It's also nice that they used a rare colour like dark blue, even tho it's just a little bit of it.

Thanks for the review 'pedro' default_thumbup.gif I'll be going away soon so I hope they will have this on the flight.

I've already gotten 2 of the promotional airplanes so I'd like to get the third default_laugh_new.gif

Thanks for the review 'pedro' default_thumbup.gif I'll be going away soon so I hope they will have this on the flight.

I've already gotten 2 of the promotional airplanes so I'd like to get the third default_laugh_new.gif

where i can find pics of the other 2?