Sign in to follow this  
Captain Genaro

HMS Monarch

Thank you for all the advice. I really appreciate it and I hope to see more of it comming as I make more mistakespirate_tong.gif .

1. Snot-plattforms - nice pirate_wubnew.gif:D but since I didn't see any of these SNIP So I have to ask: Will you use the Lego Rigging or strings?

2. Since you want to make her a Brig you need to place the masts different. The foremast needs to be more centered. Something like that:SNIP

I would place him above the 3rd gun port. But lovely work so far...

Keep it up and you'll have a lovely Brig! pirate_thumbup.gif

1)I will use string for the rigging but I have not got around to planing that far yet.

2)I have centered the foremast more but I also think that this means I will need to move the mainmast (name?) back a little more so it looks better.

She's generally coming along rather nicely, but I would strongly suggest making the 2nd mast section thinner than the lowest one, that looks far more elegant!

Also the deck is far to wide at the stern; a rather common mistake: It should be smallest there with the galleries (brigs didn't really have any btw) being under a roof and also extending the stern to less (or at least not more than) the maximum width.

Also the hole in the deck for the working area looks a bit small.

How are you planning to make this modular with the rigging when the sides are build up and sloping on the topdeck in the typical CGH way? You could try to make the sides modular instead of the deck like Admiral Croissant on his Vesta, that would be easier to build too. But the ratlines would still need to go somewhere.

Should I use this piece for the second part of the mast?

Also, I will re-build the stern but it might be hard since I would like three windows in the back.

It might be hard to see but the whole deck is modular. The railings are not connected to the sides. I can take better pictures if you would like.

As Perfectionist already sayed, the "Hole" is far too small, id succest you to make it about 8 studs bigger yet. (Not sideways)

Also, i think you need to re-build your stern completly over, its far too wide, id make the stern as Lady Washingtons stern.

Click Here.As you can see, there is no side windows or anything and the windows in back are quite small ones. Id change the gunports (Yellow flags)In black, and also would change the railing like Admiral Croissant already showed to you.

I wish you luck mate.

Captain Becker

Don't worry about the railings, I will fix those. I will make the hole" bigger but I have to be careful not to make the deck too weak.

I think you've had enough advice for now pirate_classic.gif I agree with the others. It can have some improvement, but it's quite a good ship already.

Just keep looking close at model ships and replica's and I'm sure it will turn out nicely. Good luck!

I have only got to see models on the internet since I don't own any but thank you for the kind words anyways.

I don't think I made this clear but it does not have to be too accurate. I am aiming for a ship that I think looks nice and is modular over a historical model.

Sorry for the doubble post but it's time for an update!

Overview of the ship. As you can see, I tried to make the second half of the main mast smaller but right now, I think it looks too skinny and weak. Help on that part would be greatly appreciated.

p1040650.jpg

Capstan with two bow chasers. I plan to make brick-built chasers but I did not have the time right now.

p1040652.jpg

Yes, the top deck can come off.

p1040658.jpg

More pictures here when moderated.

Looks good, id use this cannon desing instead of orginal Lego cannons. This cannon was orginally desinged by Matteo and further desing (This in the link) was made by Blackmoor. Good luck whit her.

Captain Becker

I like the use of bowchasers and it's great that the deck is modular.

The masts look a bit better now, but they are indeed a bit skinny. Perhaps you could make the part from the deck to crow's nest a bit shorter.

You could also use these parts for the thinner mast part (like I did on the Vesta) but they are quite rare.

But perhaps it's a better idea to finish the interior first before you start worrying about the masts :pir-classic:

Anyway, you're making good progress. Keep it up!

I know that it has been a while since an update. I have been busy but after a little time on Bricklink I have an update!

Sorry for the bad picture quality. It's cloudy out and I don't have studio lighting:pir-hmpf_bad:.

p1040767.jpg

p1040769.jpg

p1040771.jpg

More here when moderated.

You could also use these parts for the thinner mast part (like I did on the Vesta) but they are quite rare.

Thank you for that advice. I decided to use those for the thinner mast part.

Looks good, id use this cannon desing instead of orginal Lego cannons.

I'm using that for the bowchasers but the rest of the cannons on the gun deck will not change.

Thank you for that advice. I decided to use those for the thinner mast part.

I must say they look good, and so does the rest of the ship. Very promising!

Still, I have some suggestions for improvement.

brig.png

1. Make the extended section of the bowsprit (green) with the thinner mast parts as well.

2. Make the "donkey heads"(?, red) black.

3. Add another donkey head to the foremast (blue), just as you did on the main mast.

The mast sections on the foremast should be exactly the same as the main mast, only smaller.

4. I think you could make the upper spanker sail beam (yellow) a bit more angled/sloped (reference).

Good luck!

I think Croissant sayed pretty much all already, but you still havent rebuild your stern as we have sayed many times already, and the "Hole" could be 5 studs longer. The steering wheel is way too back IMO, i think you should move it about 4 studs forward if i can say it right from that picture.

I also think you should start making some more detail on to the deck and to the bow, for example: Add those (Dont know the right term) Anchor holders. Otherly than that, its a great ship, keep it up.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

Okay, so I decided to open a Flickr account with Brickshelf giving me all sorts of problems so now I have some updates!

Overall

5835752719_198da3a99d.jpg

You can see in this picture that I started to add some rigging. I think that the ropes are a little skinny so I might have to run off to a crafts store.

5836302746_934b55a568.jpg

Admiral Croissant: In English the red parts are called "Mast Caps". Also, since I used some technic parts so the spanker could turn, I cannot find a way to increase the angle without making it increased by too much.

Captain Becker: I have been looking at some pictures of other ships to see different details and how to build them but if anyone has any good ideas or pictures, I would love to see them.

Im really starting to like this ship! The masts and spars are a huge improvement, brickbuilt fighting tops are genius. The color scheme looks great, much like an earlier man-o-war c.1760 or something. The wheel placement is much better now too. The "anchor-holders" Captain Becker refered to are catheads, but didnt always exist on smaller ships such as sloops and cutters, so I think it would be your choice. The Providence and Pickle are good examples of this. Otherwise the anchors were just hauled up and lashed to the sides.

One small improvement that I would suggest is to make the ratlines attach lower, perhaps by 1 brick. In reality they should attach just a little above the gun line, below the deckrails. However, I dont know if thats possible with a removeable deck :pir-sceptic: I know you're not really going for accuracy, but it looks great so far :thumbup:

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

Captain Becker: I have been looking at some pictures of other ships to see different details and how to build them but if anyone has any good ideas or pictures, I would love to see them.

Lady washington for good example, and Captain Blackmoors sloop.... what ever was the name, is also a good example, as is this. If you see the picture of Lady, you will see at there is no side galleries, and at there are only a few small window at the back of the ship. (No, i didnt out the image, so you will have to search it from Google or Wikipedia9

Hope that helps even a bit.

The "anchor-holders" Captain Becker refered to are catheads

Why i cant never remember that name? :pir-hmpf:

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

Well done. I'm sure this will look great with sails, a crew and perhaps a few more deck details like barrels, swivel guns.

And a nice big flag to finish it :pir-classic: Can't wait for the next update!

So I added some Catheads and a preliminary swivel gun.

I also lowered the ratlines.

5842585258_be116a44b6.jpg

5842037823_1a0de7cc5e.jpg

Now for some questions.

To connect an anchor to the cathead, would I simply hang it like this?

Also, what are the differences between this flag and this flag? I looked it up and I found multiple explanations such as the blue flag is for an officer in the RN reserve and it had to do with home ports etc.

aye, the problem with the ensigns again. Prior to the 1850s (I don't remember the exact year, sorry) when there was a huge re-organisation of the Royal Navy, the RN was divided into three squadrons. Each squadron had a certain area with homebases and a unique ensign.

The red ensign fleet was stationed in the Atlantic, the white fleet was the "home fleet", the blue fleet the Pacific, if I remember correctly. Some former colonies tend to use those markings in their flags.

Now, the one with the andrew's cross would be a white ensign (after the re-organization the common ensign for all RN-vessels) and the blue one... guess which one :pir_laugh2:

Hope this helps!

I take my words about Catheads back, just take them off.

As for the flags, i would use the white one, as it has been used in other MOC ships around here. I remember at there was also a Red flag also, is that right? Also try to re-desing your Capstain. Something more like this would maby be much better?

Captain Becker

I'm back from vacation and my Bricklink order came in so...

5960542309_04701e484a.jpg

5961100748_94ca13182b.jpg

Although the sails and rigging are a pain to build, this has to be the most rewarding part of the entire build since my ship is starting to look like a real sailing ship.

Horry: Thank you for the information on the ensigns. I think that I will use the white one.

Captain Becker: Don't worry the catheads are off. As for a capstan, I felt like that took up too much room so I got rid of it.

You could make the upper spanker sail beam a bit more angled as Croissant said, if thats still possible.

Otherly than that, its looking already quite a nice ship.

Captain Becker