BigDumbWookiee

LEGO Collectable Minifigures display cases

Hey Fred, I did a quick review of the slightly longer AMAC box and showed your single fig displays at the end:

Cool, and great review... the only problem is that while those boxes were pretty much the same size, they weren't the AMAC boxes from the container store, they were dice boxes from one of those gaming stores... they're pretty much identical except the top is black (although I used black bricks anyway).

The circles on the ends are annoying, really... I'm just an idiot for not even thinking to get larger ones and set them on their sides. 5435205388_fcd043d2bb_t.jpg

Really nice review, I will give these boxes another look (at the larger sizes).

I also finally received the two boxes that joebot talked about, and they look great... but like an idiot, I didn't bring my minifigure displays (like the one in my last post) home from work today, and I work at home on Fridays, so now I have to wait until Monday (double 5435205388_fcd043d2bb_t.jpg)

My work no brain lately so good.

Edited by fred67

The black topped boxes and these clear ones are both from AMAC, the black ones are just from their Showcase Series.

Showcase Series: http://www.amacplastics.com/products/showcase/index.html

Flat Top Series: http://www.amacplastics.com/products/flattop/index.html

You can buy them directly from AMAC wholesale, which is what the gaming stores do. Weird though that the Container Store I went to didn't have the Showcase series, only the Flat Top and M Series.

I'll be reviewing the Race Car display case you guys mentioned a few posts back, it's pretty awesome for only 8.99. I also bought the Cereal Box display case for 17.99 because I thought I could fit some of my ships in it, but noooo, it's too flat, going to have to return it.

I don't know what company makes them, forgot to ask, I'll have to do some digging.

Edited by DrNightmare

UPDATED FEB 11 - The mistake I had before is that figures in the front row would be jammed against the glass and can't hold anything. I fixed it so now all figures can hold almost anything, that's why there's a wider space in front now.

Alrighty, in the Race Car case you can fit a base of 32 by 16 studs and a plate of 11 studs on the shortest side. Here's my rough very basic build for steps.

-4 rows of 8 figures each fits 32 figs, that's 2 entire series if you're into that

-Use collectable minifgure stands as the black steps.

-Offsetting the figs makes them way more visible, you only lose 2 spots to add figs (30 total instead of 32)

-All figs fit comfortably and can hold accessories, wear hats/capes, etc.

-1 stud wide space in back to build your own backdrop (walls, windows, greeble, vines, whatever)

stepsdisplay1.jpg

stepsdisplay2.jpg

stepsdisplay3.jpg

Edited by DrNightmare

Just came across this while looking at some new Kingdom pictures.

Those look pretty neat! I like they have a choice of 8 or 16, it makes a lot more sense than the baffling 15 figure cases they were selling... and they look "infinitely" stackable. I'm a bit dubious about the amount of space each figure gets, though. It looks like plenty for most figures, but my skier, for one, is wearing the skis, not holding them (as described above).

I'm progressing very slowly right now (had a busy weekend... a sacrifice I willingly make for my kids, but it does eat into my "LEGO Time"). I bought some "Elmer's Tack" and stuck down seven of the CMF plates to each row of the display. I wanted to be able to move them around without messing everything up; it surely wouldn't hold through a drop or when I someday move (I keep saying that... I hate my house), but it'll keep bumps from shifting the figures around.

I was hoping to build a few levels using plates, something that would completely hold together... but the height of each row is too far off from a standard plate height to work well.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight, but I'm hoping what I'm talking about it pretty obvious. The only problem is that it's a maximum of seven per row, times 3 rows = 21. Not a good number to work with CMFs with 16 in a series. I suppose I could make it an even 20, which might work out better overall, by removing one from the middle row and recentering it.

Edited by fred67

So, as I said... first I put 21 CMF plates, 7 per row, using Elmer's Tack (although any kind would work for this lightweight task, I imagine). 21 is a terrible number for CMFs for obvious reasons, but I went ahead and loaded it up with 21 figures.

5449152773_839e21ee8f.jpg 5449221903_fd440d7fa5.jpg

They didn't have any of those when I went both times :(

Yeah... they were sold out online, too, I was on backorder for several weeks before getting the two that I ordered... I think I will have to order enough to display through series 5; I really like how it looks.

Those are some nice display cases. I have my three series now on a shelf without room left for series 4, 5...

But while looking at the pictures of 2011 Toy Fair on fbtb.net I found these licensed cases:

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 display cases

If you go a few posts up you can see another link to those; I really like those because they're more "LEGO-ey," I guess it depends on how dense you want your display... I don't have a lot of space, those licensed ones look like they might even give enough room for a tiny MOC for each character... but overall take up a lot of space, so I'm not sure how I feel about them just yet. Although I haven't set up my second case to see how they look stacked, they DO stack, too.

If you go a few posts up you can see another link to those

Oops. My apologies :blush: (how could I miss that?)

They look interesting though. However they seem a bit large and expensive.

I really like this one! How they are separated by their official color! :thumbup:

How do you protect them from dust though. :sceptic:

i make something like that

collectionsminifigs.jpg

I'm sure someone makes custom display cases (to fit stuff like that display), but who knows how much that'll cost you, shipping alone will probably be a pain.

Edited by DrNightmare

I have just made up 3 stands for my Minifigs.

I really want some sort of case so that it keeps the dust off, but I can't find anything that is quite right so this will do for now and means that my wife can move them to get at the DVDs easier!

S8304114.jpg

S8304113.jpg

S8304115.jpg

I don't own any green bricks so I'm going to have to try to get some from somewhere to keep my colour coding going!

Who'd have guessed IKEA shelves are exactly 42 studs wide!!

D

Another Container Store option.

I just received this case today and, as I suspected, it fits exactly 16x16 studs; I put in two 8x16 bricks (not plates) and it's perfect.

Now, it might not be so great for minifigure only display, but it works perfectly for a small MOC and it's certainly possible to make levels to display minifigures.

Edit: sideways is almost exactly 22 studs... slightly larger, so 22 fits nicely.

Edited by fred67

I have just made up 3 stands for my Minifigs.

I really want some sort of case so that it keeps the dust off, but I can't find anything that is quite right so this will do for now and means that my wife can move them to get at the DVDs easier!

I don't own any green bricks so I'm going to have to try to get some from somewhere to keep my colour coding going!

Who'd have guessed IKEA shelves are exactly 42 studs wide!!

D

The online Pick-A-Brick has a large selection of Bright Yellowish Green (lime) bricks, and so does Bricklink (for far cheaper than Pick-A-Brick, obviously). I'm sure a physical LEGO retail store's pick-a-brick wall would also have a decent selection of basic lime bricks, if one of those is within reach.

The real trick will be matching Series 5, which as far as I can tell uses one of the new light blue colors 321 or 322, also seen in the Alien Conquest theme. Basic bricks don't yet exist in this color at all, and none of the summer sets we've seen use this color for anything other than the human minifigures in Alien Conquest sets-- certainly not for basic bricks. I guess when the time comes you can just use Medium Blue as a placeholder (or permanently, if you're not too nitpicky about accuracy).

Yeah I've looked on PickABrick & BrickLink and at some point I will get them but I'm in no rush just yet. Don't know if my wife will let me keep getting full sets up to series 5 it starts to add up (although she did just buy me MMV so I might be winning her over!)

D

I keep all my minifigs inside stow'n'go boxes by plano. the model is this with 3 rows x 6, and the spaces perfectly fit a minifig, even with the stand.

have a nice lego day

mrBlue

edit: add link

Edited by mrblue

Like this:

5036227556_746245152b_z.jpg

Collectible Minifigure Display Stand by Masked Builder, on Flickr

It's not really a case more of a stand. :classic: It has since been color coded.

Edited by Masked Builder

Those look pretty neat! I like they have a choice of 8 or 16, it makes a lot more sense than the baffling 15 figure cases they were selling... and they look "infinitely" stackable. I'm a bit dubious about the amount of space each figure gets, though. It looks like plenty for most figures, but my skier, for one, is wearing the skis, not holding them (as described above).

Perhaps you've seen this by now (I know my reply is a bit late; there's a lot of stuff I miss in the EB forums sometimes), but if not, this photo shows the skier on his skis in one of those compartments - sideways, of course, but still.