Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

I like Pluto, his tribute to Astro Boy, but that is (as far as I know) only a manga. If it were and anime I would totaly be buying it by now!

Anyone got their eye on any upcoming series? I heard tell of a Young Justice cartoon series coming soon, it looks to be more along the lines of Justice League than Teen Titans (art and possibly story wise) and it looks pretty good.

I have always been a big fan of American comics; G.I. Joe, Batman, ect, but I never got into manga until I found Fullmetal Alchemist. I liked the Brotherhood Anime version, but I LOVE the magna, so well written. So now I am on a hunt for other magna similar in style or content. I don't want any half-naked females running around and I am not a big fan of gore but I do enjoy the military undercurrent flowing through FMA. I tried Pumpkin Scissors, Samurai 7 (which is good, Deathnote, and Bleach; the last too which I haven't started. Any suggestions for manga or anime similar to those styles or stories? Fighting, but not too gory, good story, and no drawings or language that is going to make me blush. Thanks for the help.

Well, it's time for a little update. Lately I've been watching a cartoon I'd like to share my thoughts about. It's The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Despite its cheesy title and the fact that it airs on Disney XD, it's a very good show. I'd even say it's on par with The Spectacular Spider Man. There's not quite as much story and character development, but that's to be expected from a show about Marvel's most kick-megablocks superhero team. The action is very good though, and the show devotes an equal amount of time establishing each character. Plus the theme song "Fight As One" is pretty darn catchy, making the intro one of the best I've seen in a while. So, if you liked the Ultimate Avengers movies, you'll love this too. I can recommend it to anyone looking for a good superhero cartoon. You can watch the awesome Season 1 opener here on the official website.

What else? Well, I still watch Ben 10 and Generator Rex. They aren't the greatest shows, but still some of the best you can find on TV these days. In some aspects, these shows are even better than the Clone Wars. Ben 10: Ultimate Alien is somehow slightly better than the annoying Ben 10: Alien Force.

I also enjoyed the fourth season of the Venture Bros., even though it's been kind of a lame season.

And of course I still watch Batman: The Brave and the Bold which fortunately has been a little more serious lately. Good stuff.

As for upcoming cartoons, I'm still looking forward to Young Justice and Avatar: Legend of Korra, as well as the second season of Superjail. Not to mention the rest of Season 6 of Futurama of course!

Any updates from you guys?

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

I never knew this topic existed, so now it's time to contribute my faves, here's 5 most favorite (in no particular order):

1) Spongebob Squarepants - the child in me finds the much needed laughter from Spongebob and the gang's nautical nonsense.

2) Dragon Ball Z - since Anime is really popular in Asian countries like ours, this has got to be my most favorite anime of all time, I just love the seemingly endless saga and adventure that Son Goku has taken from his childhood up to the end in Dragon Ball GT.

3) Justice League Unlimited - I just love the all-star line-up of superheroes fighting together to save the world! :grin:

4) Slam Dunk - basketball + slapstick cartoon humour = what's not to like about this anime? Well, except for the unfinished story due to the unfortunate and untimely passing of the creator.

5) Yu Yu Hakusho (Ghost Fighter) - second only to DBZ, but still a great anime that was really popular in our country.

Edited by KielDaMan

Well, it's time for a little update. Lately I've been watching a cartoon I'd like to share my thoughts about. It's The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Despite its cheesy title and the fact that it airs on Disney XD, it's a very good show. I'd even say it's on par with The Spectacular Spider Man.

It's funny you should mention Spectacular Spiderman, because I just finished rewatching the entire second season, and I've come to the conclusion that the show still has no equal among Marvel animation. Greg Weisman is seriously one of the most underappreciated writers in America, and it's a darn shame he didn't have more time to bless the animation world with his take on Spiderman. Hopefully DC treats him better than Disney did, because if Young Justice doesn't make it past twenty-six episodes either, I will have lost all faith in the industry to give Greg his due. :sadnew:

However, I'm still enjoying the new Avengers cartoon as well, even if it doesn't really match Spectacular Spiderman in dialogue or character development. In other news, I finally got around to watching the entire Avatar: The Last Airbender series, and... well, I can't really say much about it that hasn't already been said. Save from the admittedly contrived method of beating the main villian, the show rocked on all aspects, and I'm greatly looking foward to The Legend of Korra. :classic:

Greg Weisman is seriously one of the most underappreciated writers in America, and it's a darn shame he didn't have more time to bless the animation world with his take on Spiderman. Hopefully DC treats him better than Disney did, because if Young Justice doesn't make it past twenty-six episodes either, I will have lost all faith in the industry to give Greg his due. :sadnew:

Hear, hear! That's why I'm looking forward to Young Justice too. I just saw a commercial for the pilot that will debut on November 26, and it looks pretty good.

Glad to see another fan of the Avengers and Avatar here. :classic: I never understood the complains about the final battle though. I think it was awesome.

Glad to see another fan of the Avengers and Avatar here. :classic: I never understood the complains about the final battle though. I think it was awesome.

It wasn't the battle per say that was the problem - it was how the battle was resolved. By introducing a new method of bending out of the blue that solved Aang's problems without any consequences, the writers essentiall committed the "crime" of deus-ex-machina. Considering that all of the other problems the Gaang had faced before were solved in much less contrived ways, it was disapointing that they chose to go this route. That's not to say that the idea of energy-bending is bad - it's just that it really needed to have been introduced or at least hinted at earlier.

Regardless, it doesn't matter that much in the long run, as the series as a whole was so incredibly good. I think there was exactly one episode that I didn't enjoy, and the vast majority of the episodes were stellar. I was especially impressed with how well the creators developed the world of Avatar - all the neat touches such as the animal-hybrids and the different styles of dress really helped to make it come alive, and the way they incorporated bending powers into everyday live helped make it seem more believeable. It's sometimes odd to watch shows where characters have all sorts of superpowers but don't use them in any way besides conflict - you'd think they could find practical uses for laser vision or elemental manipulation besides fighting other superpowered beings. I guess a lot of toons just opperate in a world where generally With Great Power Comes Great Insanity. :tongue:

I know what you're saying, but it was kinda hinted at by what the Lion-Turtle told Aang.

And you're probably right about the With Great Power Comes Great Insanity/Responsibility thing. Most heroes don't take advantage of their powers when not completely necessary in order to be good role models, but A:TLA proved that it works just fine for them not to go by that code. :thumbup:

4) Slam Dunk - basketball + slapstick cartoon humour = what's not to like about this anime? Well, except for the unfinished story due to the unfortunate and untimely passing of the creator.

Another of my favourite anime when I am still a teenager. :thumbup:

It's unfortunate that the anime was not completed due to his unfortunate passing. However, his manga was much detailed and even finished its entire plot with the rest of the remaining volumes. The anime finishes with an All-Star match in the district, while the manga finshes it during the national matches. It's worth reading on it.

Another of my favourite anime when I am still a teenager. :thumbup:

It's unfortunate that the anime was not completed due to his unfortunate passing. However, his manga was much detailed and even finished its entire plot with the rest of the remaining volumes. The anime finishes with an All-Star match in the district, while the manga finshes it during the national matches. It's worth reading on it.

Yeah I actually read the whole manga (english version of course). And as a basketball fan, I really liked Shohoku's epic match against the highly-touted No.1 team in the nation, Sannoh. It was great seeing them beating all odds and miraculously escaping with the win in that gruelling match, culminated with the winning play of Rukawa passing the ball to his teammate mortal rival Sakuragi to set-up the game-winning shot. That was just classic basketball and story-telling for me. :cry_happy: It's just too bad the anime and the manga was never continued due to the untimely passing of the author. :sadnew:

Lately since I got netflix I've been watching unboly amounts of futurama. :laugh: I've watch the first two seasons in under a week and I started on the third one today. :classic: I've also tried out an Anime called "Soul Eater" It's apretty intereasting show but there's some vulgarness that it could go without but other than that It seems pretty cool. I especially like "Excalibur".

1255204286338_f.jpg

Edited by ComputerBug

Oh and how could I forget these two classic family-based cartoon series:

The Simpsons and The Family Guy. :thumbup:

Simpsons_FamilyPicture.pngThe_Griffin_family.png

These two, along with Spongebob Squarepants, are my ultimate sources of much-needed laughter. :laugh:

I too still watch Family Guy. It's painfully stupid and I don't like what they have turned Stewie into, but it still has its moments.

South Park is as good as ever, so I still follow that show too.

Does anyone else watch Sym-Bionic Titan? I was very excited to finally see another show from Genndy Tartakovsky, especially one centered around a giant mech, but I'm a little disappointed since it somehow lacks the epicness of Samurai Jack and Clone Wars. It's still a good show though.

Another show that I kinda like is Robotomy. It's from the creators of Superjail and has the same style, but it doesn't have gore (since everyone is a robot) and the animation isn't quite as crazy as that of Superjail.

Well, I have started watching Batman of the Future (Batman Beyond stateside) and apart from the fact that it is a sequel to a series that ran rampant with canon (a personal bugbear of mine) and therefore is not right I can ignore it with that which is set in the future.

I have every episode of JLA and JLU making it's way to me via DVD!

And not to rake over coals or whatever, but "energy bending" should have been hinted at, alluded to or even just left as a chekhov's skill where Aang realises he can do this odd form of bending but doesn't develp it further. A massive monster sized lionturtle popping out of the sea and telling our hero about it just before a big fight is a classic deaus ex machina that was a disservice to the series.

/nerd rant off.

There are barely any cartoons worth watching on TV anymore. I think there is one channel that shows a lot of the older series from the 90s, I'm just waiting for them to play all my old favourites.

I will focus on cartoons I watch now because I want to prove that you still can find great cartoons that are funny or have nice ideas/ storyline.

-Ben Ten (currently Alien Force). I just loved the ben Ten series, and continuation is great. Can't wait then Ultimate Alien will come to Poland!

-Storm hawks (I love their world, flying machines and crystals)

-Phineas and Ferb is one of the best cartoons I ever saw. Great humor, a lot popculture references, and Perry :wub:

- House for Imaginary friends. A little more stupid than PaF but still great cartoon! And how can't yopu love Cheese?!

I want to add in Poland we still have some "old" cartoons, like Johny Bravo (Oh momma!), Dexters lab, Powerpuff girls (I still think this show is weird. Some episodes are amazing, some are very dificult to understand- like Mime for change episode. ), Duck Tales (UUuuu!), Gummybears...And I feel sad that you can't watch them on tv like me...

*Oh I wrote in this topic already. Anyway I said some more this time *

I just remembered this favorite cartoon 'shorts' of mine when it was still airing on our local MTV channel, this was quite R-18 violent despite the cute and lovable characters on it.

HTF_characters.png

:devil:

Well, for those who enjoy Batman: The Brave and the Bold, count me in as the latest fan of the show. I was initially skeptical of the whole idea, since I'm not a fan of pure comedy animation, but once I started watching it, I realize it's really a great blend of humor, action, and character. Sure, there's an odd episode or two that isn't up to the usual quality, but generally it has everything I expect of my favorite shows. Looking foward to buying the second half of season one when it comes out in a couple of months. :thumbup:

I also want to add that I've finally reconnected with was actually one of the very first animated shows I ever watched: the hilarious Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. Well, technically, it was only the hour-long pilot for the show, as the regular episodes have unfortunately failed to surface on DVD, but it was still really fun to see it again after so many years. I'm not usually one to laugh constantly at most television shows, but BLoST's brand of humor is so over the top and tounge-in-cheek that it's hard not to guffaw at a lot of the dialogue and situations. :laugh: Wayne Knight's performance as Zurg has to be the highlight, but the voice acting in general is great and funny. It's really such a great expansion of what little we knew about the Star Command mythos from the Toy Story movies, and actually feels like a show that would have aired in-universe. :wink:

Oh, and I'm still enjoying Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. The last episode I watched "Widow's Sting" is easily the best yet, and it's the first I would say comes close to matching The Spectacular Spiderman in quality. Considering that the latter is still my favorite show of all time, that's quite a feat in my eyes. :wink:

Edited by Zarkan

I just remembered this favorite cartoon 'shorts' of mine when it was still airing on our local MTV channel, this was quite R-18 violent despite the cute and lovable characters on it.

HTF_characters.png

:devil:

Hahaha there fantastic :devil:

I don't really watch a lot of cartoons but spongebob was and is a favourite cartoon.

I sometimes watch Family Guy, South Park and American Dad

As for anime, never watched much, maybe pokemon, digemon and yugioh when I was young

But I do read alot on manga that is now also anime like Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail etc..

I've recently been watching two more cartoons that are by all means absolute classics of animation. The first is probably the ultimate classic, Batman: The Animated Series. I must regretfully confess that until the last month, my only experience with the show has been scattered episodes here and there, but what I did see was plenty enough entertaining to convince me to get the first volume. Now I'm already on Volume 2, and I intend to eventually purchase the entire series as well as the subsquesent spin-offs. It really is a fantastic show, even if there is an off-episode here and there (I've Got Batman In My Basement and The Underdwellers stand out as two of the absolute worst episodes that I've ever watched of any cartoon, though the vast majority are miles better). I think my favorite episodes so far are Two-Face: Parts 1 and Two, the timeless Heart of Ice, and It's Never Too Late - which, apart from Batman, might as well be straight out of a mobster movie.

The other cartoon I've recently viewed is Greg Weisman's Gargoyles, a rarity of a Disney production in that it is rather serious and story-arc driven. The concept itself is one of the more original in anination, with protagonists that look far more fearsome than the actual big bad of the show. The animation, voice acting, and fight-coreagraphy are all excellent - but then, I would expect nothing less of a Weisman cartoon. I've only watched the first season so far, and I've heard the series gets even better in the second. It's a shame only the first half of season two is on DVD, and the entire series deserves a rerelease akin to the B:TAS and Batman Beyond complete collections. I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys action shows, superhero shows, or simply good animated series. :thumbup:

I'm just here to say that there is a new Yu-Gi-Oh movie coming out in February! I'm so pumped! :laugh:

About a month ago I finished the show "soul eater" and I think it officially reigns itself supreme of any show, ever. It was just all around fantastic, the voices, the characters, the animation, everything! And the main villain ASURA is totally BA! :devil:

asura.jpg

I'm just here to say that there is a new Yu-Gi-Oh movie coming out in February! I'm so pumped! :laugh:

more motorbikes?

I didn't know people here knew about this stuff...

I enjoyed that manga very much as well. One of the few shonen series I liked. Inoue Takehiko draws some really great stuff.

Is there anyone else here who's into mahou shoujo? Of course I love the two biggest '90s classics (Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura) but I also like some by Tanemura Arina (Full Moon Wo Sagashite is my absolute favorite, and I like Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne as well - very sad, both of them).

For anime, well... has anyone heard of Key? The anime series Kanon, AIR, and CLANNAD After Story (all based on visual novels by Key) have some nice animation and great storylines, and the character designs are quite nice as well.

It's honestly been a while since I've been into this stuff but I used to be a big manga fan some time back...

The new "young justice" cartoon which follows the adventures of DC's would be "sidekicks" is really starting to interest me, it's character driven and has many unique story elements, plus I always though robin was the bomb, well, after batman.

Yes, it's quite a good show. It's not as good as Spectacular Spiderman or The Avengers (which is awesome by the way) but the animation and character development are pretty outstanding, especially by today's standards. I don't like the emo Superboy though. He barely seems to have any superpowers (compared to his "father" anyway) and his antisocial attitude really annoys me. Kid Flash could be better too in my opinion, but maybe that's just me.