Sign in to follow this  
Legoman

MOC: 'The Town Chapel'

indexed.gif

EDIT: 6th Feb 2011

This is my final update of this MOC, I've done all I plan to do (would love to try something different - There'll definately be a next time :classic: )

It's been a lot of fun, thanks very much for all the input guys! C&C is welcome, But I'm not looking to upgrade this one anymore :wink:

The Town Chapel - Triditional Old European/English Church - Late 1800's Era

img_1337.jpg

More Photo's:

img_1314.jpg

img_1336.jpg

img_1315.jpg

Brickshelf Folder (Shows the stages of change aswell) (Once Public)

Thanks for looking and I'd love to hear what you all think. Cheers :classic:

Edited by Legoman

I love it! The walls seem a little plain, without much colour or texture variation, but the basic shape and details like the cross are awesome. I also love the inside (even the bible with a magic wand on the side :P).

Any chance of putting people in, or since you're star warsy is that a bit impractical if we don't want a few anachronisms?

Howdy!

Looks like a nice start to a theme you don't usually do. A couple easy notes of advice:

- Try some wall techniques to avoid "big grey wall syndrome" via here: http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/articles/biggraywall.html It has some tactics like wall color variation, texture variation, shape variations and ways to break up the wall surface to make it look more interesting and real.

- Try some roof overhangs. It's more realistic and looks nicer, and is very common rather than flush with the vertical wall surface. That is, overang it on the sides and the ends, AKA the gutter ends.

- Got a green baseplate? It makes the MOC look a bit dull when all is one color. A green one means you can add details like small hills, grass, trees, flowers... maybe a cemetary, bench, etc. Walkways are another option.

That's all I have for you for now, although there is lots of "How-To"s at Classic Castle that you can browse when you get time. Have fun.

I love it! The walls seem a little plain, without much colour or texture variation, but the basic shape and details like the cross are awesome. I also love the inside (even the bible with a magic wand on the side :P).

Any chance of putting people in, or since you're star warsy is that a bit impractical if we don't want a few anachronisms?

There's not supposed to be a Majic wand by the bible :look::grin: Whoopes. I just got the closest part I had to a Writing.

I Actully have the walls plain on purpose to be honest. I had a feeling it would come up, and I'm sure others will say the same, But, at least for this MOC, I wanted to keep it somewhat simple so I wouldn't put myself. If anyone has any Ideas for suttle variation in the walls feel free to post your advice, I may look into it.

Adding Minifigs is a major and easy possibility, I may do that in due corse if I can find some that I think look right :sweet:

I'm considering hinging the wall somewhere, so that the whole building can open in half, But we'll see how that goes if I try it :wink:

Howdy!

Looks like a nice start to a theme you don't usually do. A couple easy notes of advice:

- Try some wall techniques to avoid "big grey wall syndrome" via here: http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/articles/biggraywall.html It has some tactics like wall color variation, texture variation, shape variations and ways to break up the wall surface to make it look more interesting and real.

- Try some roof overhangs. It's more realistic and looks nicer, and is very common rather than flush with the vertical wall surface. That is, overang it on the sides and the ends, AKA the gutter ends.

- Got a green baseplate? It makes the MOC look a bit dull when all is one color. A green one means you can add details like small hills, grass, trees, flowers... maybe a cemetary, bench, etc. Walkways are another option.

That's all I have for you for now, although there is lots of "How-To"s at Classic Castle that you can browse when you get time. Have fun.

Wow thanks for that :classic:

Lots of helpful stuff. I'll change it To green baseplates next time I change it a bit :classic: Might try the Cemetry Idea and so on too :wink:

Edited by Legoman

This is quite a nice Town Chapel MOC Legoman, not really bad for a SW MOCer. :grin: I think you got the basic shape typical of most chapels right, and the glass-mosaic window and cross details are very well done IMO. But like what the others have said, the walls are a bit plain and too smooth, maybe some texture or different shades of grey will improve diversifying the wall aesthetics. But overall, I'd say this is pretty good job considering this is your first attempt at a 'Historical' structure. :thumbup:

Thanks KDM :classic:

I've been doing some fairly major updates based on what others have said, my own imagination, and a bit of inspiration. I'm actully quite pleased with how it's coming along :wub:

Snip/

Please let me know what you think :sweet:

Edited by Legoman

I like it, especially the fact that it opens. That window is very impressive, that must have been a bricklink order.

The addition of random light grey bricks really makes a difference, it gives it character. :thumbup:

I like it, especially the fact that it opens. That window is very impressive, that must have been a bricklink order.

The addition of random light grey bricks really makes a difference, it gives it character. :thumbup:

Thanks Big Cam :wink:

I actully got the Parts for those Windows at PAB when I went to the states a while ago. Originally I'd bought them with the intention of a Mustafar MOC, But I never got around to it.

No suggestions on anything to improve?

Looking alot better in the update Legoman! :sweet::thumbup:

Just my opinion, you should make the cross's not so blocky.

looking good though!

CF

Looking alot better in the update Legoman! :sweet::thumbup:

looking good though!

CF

Which one/s?

Great MOC! :classic: The updated version is a great improvement on the previous version because of the fact it hinges out and there is Light Bley bricks in the Dark Bley wall, this makes it look more realistic. :thumbup:

Very well done. :classic:

~buddy~

After seeing your first one i thought it was a little bland, but the updated pic. was much better! The simplicity of it is nice, gives it a, well churchy? feel if you will? :tongue: I like this alot, good job.

I can't resist the feeling that this could be a Lego set from the 80s! Has a certain classic feeling to it... yes, it's bland.

At second sight I noticed that there had been an update below. Now it doesn't look like an 80s set anymore at all! Great progress! I like it, the MOC and the fact that it's foldable!

:classic:

Simple but yet excellent church you have created 'Legoman', nice that it opens up....is it based on anything real or not ?

Excellent leadlight-look cross......perfect for Christmas mass in a few days eh ? :wink:

Great work and keep on building ! :sweet:

G'day again guys. Thought I'd share a bit of an update on this. Have added some surroundings and made it a bit more 'playable' since it seems to get a lot of intrest when people come around and see it.

Snip/

As you can see, I've added a cemetery, a bit of a river, and a small mound. Planning to add more, at least on the empty corner, thought I'd share this now anyway. As always, please let me know what your think :classic:

It better now? Hope so :classic:

Simple but yet excellent church you have created 'Legoman', nice that it opens up....is it based on anything real or not ?

Excellent leadlight-look cross......perfect for Christmas mass in a few days eh ? :wink:

Great work and keep on building ! :sweet:

This one's not based on anything real :wink:

Edited by Legoman

i like the stained glass a lot! great massive piece u have! btw is there an altar in the chapel? maybe u should add a simple one.

Excellent work again, nice seeing it come along so well - I like the way it opens up to the action of a Sunday service ! :thumbup:

Brick On 'Legoman' ! :grin:

Looks very good :thumbup: I'd tile the crosses, and fill the field with flowers/plants maybe add some benches, and continue the cobblestone path-way look(Round 1x1s). looks great!

Looks very good :thumbup: I'd tile the crosses, and fill the field with flowers/plants maybe add some benches, and continue the cobblestone path-way look(Round 1x1s). looks great!

Thanks for the Input (that goes for the other comments too :classic: ) What do you mean tile the crosses? The ones in the cemetery are tileds, and the others are brickbuilt?

It looks great now that you have added more landscaping, a graveyard and such. :thumbup: I especially like the river in which you effectively use those clear/blue 1x1 round studs with a wall which blends in perfectly to keep them in. :classic: The only suggestions I can give for the next update are to add more round studs to the path, and replace that 4x6 plate on the bridge to the same but in a lighter shade. Oh and maybe add a few more plants around the outside.

Overall great work though and I look forward to seeing more of this in the future. :classic:

Eskallon

It looks great now that you have added more landscaping, a graveyard and such. :thumbup: I especially like the river in which you effectively use those clear/blue 1x1 round studs with a wall which blends in perfectly to keep them in. :classic: The only suggestions I can give for the next update are to add more round studs to the path, and replace that 4x6 plate on the bridge to the same but in a lighter shade. Oh and maybe add a few more plants around the outside.

Overall great work though and I look forward to seeing more of this in the future. :classic:

Eskallon

Thanks for the ideas :classic:

I have continued some landscaping/shaping of a path, but It seems I will need a bricklink order for more 1x1 rounds.

In the mean time, please all feel free to comment on the photo's over at my Flickr, More opinions are always of help. Thanks to you all! :classic:

Hello Legoman, It's really starting to look good with the stream, hill and cemetery in place! :thumbup:

I think your interior is great and I wouldn't make major changes there. :classic:

I have just two major suggestions for the design of the actual church and I give them as if this is my MOC and I was adding to it, so it's simply my taste: :wink:

1) I like the scale of it, but those walls are very tall and their texture is flat, if you make a simple addition of a few decorative bricks it will make a world of difference and add to the realistic look of the building. Consider stacking 1X1 bricks on top of each other until you have them reaching about 8-9 bricks tall and cap them off with a cheese slope, to create realistic exterior texture for the walls. Place them adjacent to the wall, with the slope facing in to look flush with the building, and place a bunch of them around the entire way. That's going to look great with your interior architecture. :sweet:

2) The rest of the scene is very colorful but your church uses 2 major colors, plus the brown interior and windows, which kind of makes the color sink there, I would add another one, maybe a bit of dark red or dark blue just to break up the gray roof.

I can't wait to see it finished, nature scene and all! :grin:

Hello Legoman, It's really starting to look good with the stream, hill and cemetery in place! :thumbup:

I think your interior is great and I wouldn't make major changes there. :classic:

I have just two major suggestions for the design of the actual church and I give them as if this is my MOC and I was adding to it, so it's simply my taste: :wink:

1) I like the scale of it, but those walls are very tall and their texture is flat, if you make a simple addition of a few decorative bricks it will make a world of difference and add to the realistic look of the building. Consider stacking 1X1 bricks on top of each other until you have them reaching about 8-9 bricks tall and cap them off with a cheese slope, to create realistic exterior texture for the walls. Place them adjacent to the wall, with the slope facing in to look flush with the building, and place a bunch of them around the entire way. That's going to look great with your interior architecture. :sweet:

2) The rest of the scene is very colorful but your church uses 2 major colors, plus the brown interior and windows, which kind of makes the color sink there, I would add another one, maybe a bit of dark red or dark blue just to break up the gray roof.

I can't wait to see it finished, nature scene and all! :grin:

Sounds like a lot of work there! Thanks a lot for the input :classic:

I'm a tad lost as to what you mean though. In 1) Do you have a picture or something I would be able to have a peek at? It sounds very intresting, But I'm a little lost on how such a thing could work (I may have mis-understood..) Also, on 2) Where do you suggest adding the colour? I really can't see myself adding DkRed or DkBlue to the roof? :sceptic::wacko:

thanks for your time! :classic:

Sounds like a lot of work there! Thanks a lot for the input :classic:

I'm a tad lost as to what you mean though. In 1) Do you have a picture or something I would be able to have a peek at? It sounds very intresting, But I'm a little lost on how such a thing could work (I may have mis-understood..) Also, on 2) Where do you suggest adding the colour? I really can't see myself adding DkRed or DkBlue to the roof? :sceptic::wacko:

thanks for your time! :classic:

No problem, I don't have anything to exemplify this I've built myself but here is a picture from a brickshelf user called Rhox;

Side Detail

The detailing on the side is what I'm talking about, just a few bricks to break up the flat surface turns the side from ordinary to sweet.

As far as the color, it's simply one option, and putting shingles on the roof might make a difference, like those round 1X1's you've started putting in already.

:classic: Cheers

No problem, I don't have anything to exemplify this I've built myself but here is a picture from a brickshelf user called Rhox;

Side Detail

The detailing on the side is what I'm talking about, just a few bricks to break up the flat surface turns the side from ordinary to sweet.

As far as the color, it's simply one option, and putting shingles on the roof might make a difference, like those round 1X1's you've started putting in already.

:classic: Cheers

Ah, I see what you mean :classic: Good idea! I'll see if I have enough parts (I am running dangerously low on DkBley 1x1 Bricks right now though (and 1x2's for that matter). I just placed a quick order on Bricklink last night for some more 1x1 rounds, So hopefully there's be some left over from the path and I'll put them to good use in the roof! :sweet: