Sign in to follow this  
maydayartist

Community Build: Lighthouse

Hey pirate mates. A year ago we start to build our harbour town and all the time we miss the light to find the entrance.

Sorry for the very late entry. I know, I know; shame on you, shame on your family and shame on your cow! ;)

My first decision was to build a long cliff with the lighthouse on top of it. The location for the lighthouse on the map match perfect for this idea, as you can see on the map in the lower left corner (the blue 4)

cpcommunitybuild.jpg

But all other builders have to use their max size so I decided to put the tower on the end of the cliff with the option to detach it.

The overall design and 75% of the build was done last year in february, but the details and all the tinkering work was done in the last week. I don´t want to show the unfinished work.

What could I say :) The build is over and now you could enjoy a new MOC.

I will improve myself to do in time on the next event ^^

The first pictures show the community build legal version with the 29 x 29 studs base (the legal size was 32 x 32)

img_5955.jpg

img_5956.jpg

img_5957.jpg

img_5958.jpg

img_5954.jpg

The next picture shows the functioning navigational light (it is done with the lightning brick of the winter toy shop. A push on the roof will enlight the fire)

img_5959.jpg

The ship on the next pictures is my HMS Gallardia

img_5930.jpg

img_5931.jpg

img_5933.jpg

img_5935.jpg

img_5941.jpg

I try to build huge waves with offshore on top of it and a breaking wave crest but the white offshore could be improve in my mind.

img_5943.jpg

img_5947.jpg

For a good photo shot to the cliff I have not set sail. I think I will do this in the next day for a more realistic scene. In my brickshelf folder you can find 5 more pictures.

I hope you enjoy this "little" bit late entry

Edited by maydayartist

Better late than never, and well worth it. The light house itself is a nice design but it's the cliff setting that really makes it epic. It can be difficult to have a ship next to a land based moc as the ship usually dwarfs the land and looks odd, but this just works and the waves you built really bring the scene to life and give it that epic look. I havn built any pirate mocs for a year either and scenes like this just make me wanna build some. Nice work mate!

Better late than never... :pir-tongue:

Now, onto your creation, maydayartist. I really like your lighthouse with that excellent light up function. :thumbup:

But, what makes it even better you went beyond what was required and build it on a beautiful cliff, with a nice surrounding sea. :pir-wub:

I really like how you've build the waves on the sea with your ship, great work.

the Inventor

thank you for your view of things :)

I havn built any pirate mocs for a year either and scenes like this just make me wanna build some. Nice work mate!

But you have done so much really brilliant castle MOCs. I have seen all of them over the last year and have to say once more that your creations are my personal favorites :thumbup: And the little golden icon under your avatar confirmed my view :pir_laugh2: I will follow your example after this one!

Edited by maydayartist

It is a shame we couldn't have this great MOC in the community build when it was still up and running.

But as the others have stated, better late then never :pir-classic: especially with this impressive piece of work!

The lighthouse is nice, although it seems like it uses a fire as a light within a wooden structure, is that a smart idea? :pir-classic:

Anyway, I still like it, with the real light, but I like the rock structure (with the hole in it) and the large waves even more.

I don't know how to improve the waves. Perhaps with dark blue.

The ship looks nice as well, leaning over this way. Can't wait to see it under full sail in this MOC!

Oh my, this is just outstanding. These are the kind of Mocs that I really admire. Mainly I'm a sucker for movement in Lego. And you reached it just perfect. The waves, the sails and flags, that brings your creation to life. And also the cliff is just awesome as are all the other details like the landig stage..... just Fantastic. This must be blogged.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]...soon!

What a shame that you didn't get it in on time. Its such a great lighthouse :thumbup: Oh well, the next event from my end of things should be in late March or April so be prepared :pir-wink:.

No doubt it has great realism. The cliff and the waves as stated really give it a true feel. I love the ship leaning into the waves. Very well done. I am a fan of the studs...sometimes in my opinion the smoothness of tiles takes away the "Lego" feel. I think Lego should have studs showing and I love that you have done that in the water. Great job!!

A lovely lighthouse and accompanying vessel mate :thumbup: Whilst it was time constrained it was worth the wait. Great job on lighting up the lighthouse and I really like the waves rolling in.

Everything is just perfect! :pir-wub: The light house, the waves, the rock effect and everything else makes this MOC to come a life. Too bad at this didnt make it to the competision, you surely would have won the 1st prize.

Captain Becker

Set sail mates!

The cloth is cut and the Spanker (yes I did not forget it, Admiral Croissant :pir_laugh2: ) is installed.

Here are three new pictures of the scene. And I have to say for myself, without the stretched sails a galleon is not a galleon :pirate:

and thank all for the positiv comments :thumbup:

img_5962.jpg

img_5963.jpg

img_5964.jpg

Edited by maydayartist

Excellent! It looks truly wonderful this way.

It's almost the same like on the edited picture in your signature, but then in Lego!

Maybe you could add a nice background on it, but outside of that it looks good.

:pir-oh3: :pir-oh3: :pir-oh3::pir-wub:

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]...soon!

deserve it!!!!

simply: wow!!!

Edited by Brig. Brick

Very impressive, and certainly a good excuse for the wait. Brilliant detail, but may I ask where you got all those grey bricks?

Oh, most of it are the very beloved BURPs and LURPs :pir_laugh2: . The spaces between are filled with normal bricks out of kilogramm auction from ebay or new sets.

:pir_wacko: Hmm BURPS and LURPs,please help me decipher the meaning. :pir-blush:

Sorry mfor that. The shortcut stands for "Big ugly Rock Piece" and "Little ugly rock piece" :pir-laugh:

It is very helpful to build a mountain or anything like that but you have to improve their design with normal bricks, so they don´t look all the same.

Hmm, I guess I also didn't finish my community build entry in time, for which I felt quite ashamed back then. I must say I'm quite surprised that you found the enthusiasm and the courage to finish yours - and it's well been wort it! :pir-classic:

Your lighthouse really looks authentic and nice overall. The combination of wood on stone works quite well. Still, it looks like it could catch fire very easily and the way you made the "light" with flames just makes it feel even more unsafe! I would strongly suggest to put a glass of some sort above your light or at least make it look like the lighthouse isn't burning.

The two additional scenes with the ship really make this MOC stand out even more! Your waves and also the rock look fantastic; very realistic and the fact that the ship was nominated in that voting thingy tells that it is seen an outstanding creation too. With all the sails it looks best, of course, maybe you should have posted it like that in the beginning. :thumbup:

Maybe there could be a few more sailors on the galleon, but that's just a thought.

Sorry mfor that. The shortcut stands for "Big ugly Rock Piece" and "Little ugly rock piece" :pir-laugh:

It is very helpful to build a mountain or anything like that but you have to improve their design with normal bricks, so they don´t look all the same.

Oh thanks. :pir-classic: