Ondra

2011 LEGO Cars 2 Discussion

No. No. That set looks terrible. I would never buy it.

I just hope none of my kids want any Cars sets. I ain't spendin' any darn money on that piece of junk. :tongue:

Everyone's hating on poor Lightning McQueen. Don't think of him as a car, guys! Think of him as a four-wide minifigure... that happens to be car-shaped! :tongue:

I'm sure there will be plenty of sets that are at least slightly-more-impressive than the one picture we've seen so far. Meanwhile, there's no reason to suddenly be hating on these because they're not Duplo anymore. They have improved slightly in complexity, even if the parts are as specialized and non-versatile as the Duplo Cars pieces were.

And who knows how versatile they may prove in the long run? Shape-wise, McQueen's front piece is somewhat like a smaller version of this piece, and depending on its overall shape (we can only see it from one angle here), it could have diverse uses if not printed in every appearance. Only the "face" piece seems totally destined for uselessness.

And I think McQueen looks cute as-is. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I plan to get some Cars sets. So there.

:tongue:

And who knows how versatile they may prove in the long run? Shape-wise, McQueen's front piece is somewhat like a smaller version of this piece, and depending on its overall shape (we can only see it from one angle here), it could have diverse uses if not printed in every appearance. Only the "face" piece seems totally destined for uselessness.

Don't forget that McQueen's front piece has a mouth on it. I'm not sure how you can work around that.

This might be one of the few instances where people will try to remove the printing off of pieces.

Edited by Arigomi

And I think McQueen looks cute as-is. I don't care what anyone else thinks, I plan to get some Cars sets. So there.

:tongue:

I agree and I will get some sets like you! For me he looks perfect!

I don't know whether those Cars sets are going to sell well! From the sound of it, they don't really appeal to me... but let's stay unbiased until clear pictures show up.

Enpaz

LMQ is one piece with 4 studs. That brings new meaning to 'pre-fab'.

Don't forget that McQueen's front piece has a mouth on it. I'm not sure how you can work around that.

This might be one of the few instances where people will try to remove the printing off of pieces.

That's why I said "if not printed in every appearance". Obviously that piece, with the print we've seen, is next to useless for anything but Lightning McQueen. But an unprinted version could have some diverse applications.

• Definitely not just one piece. There are at least five visible: two 2x4 tiles on the sides, a 3x4 curved hood/bonnet, and what looks to be a 7x4 roof/body piece. There are without question several more pieces on the interior, as well as the wheels and tires.
  • Definitely more than four studs. Only four studs are showing on the outside once he's totally built, though. Compare to most of the Toy Story minifigures, which had two studs showing on the outside at most.

As I said before, it helps to think of them as minifigures, not as vehicles. In that frame of mind, there's no reason these sets are really any different than the Toy Story sets in terms of using specialized new molds. And really, I think the amount of building involved is impressive compared to the Duplo Cars sets, or the cereal-box Tiny Turbos promos which each had two pieces to their name (one large, irregularly-shaped chassis pre-assembled with wheels and axles, and one piece that went on top of the chassis-- it's a small mercy that both were fully System compatible).

Moreover, it should be considered that like with the PotC theme also due out next year, we haven't seen more than one "minifig" (or "character" if you prefer)-- we certainly haven't seen even a poor-quality picture of a complete set. So there could very easily be plenty of building potential in the sets, and LEGO just decided to use it on settings rather than characters. You know, just like most LEGO sets.

As I said before, it helps to think of them as minifigures, not as vehicles. In that frame of mind, there's no reason these sets are really any different than the Toy Story sets in terms of using specialized new molds.

Exactly. We've got to remember that the only characters in Cars are just cars. So expect more structures and such in the sets.

If by "fab" you mean "fabulous", then yes. :tongue:

Seriously, I think you should be more open minded. I think you're so blinded by your disgust of new molds that you are only seeing the worst in this theme, no matter what the reality is. And like Aanchir said, you shouldn't judge a whole theme by one pic of one character from it.

If you can't do that, perhaps you should just stay out of this thread.

Oky and Aanchir are right. we should be more optimistic about these sets rather than talking about the worst of this theme

just beacause one figure.

I'm less than fond of this new theme. It looks cheap and babyish to me...somthing that should have stayed in duplo.

Lego is doing a bit of overkill on the disney licences.

I'm less than fond of this new theme. It looks cheap and babyish to me...somthing that should have stayed in duplo.

Lego is doing a bit of overkill on the disney licences.

Keep in mind though, the ad only shows McQueen, and we'll have no idea what the other sets look like until Toyfair. (Though the Tokyo grand circuit sounds interesting.)

And for anyone who's interested, here's the Cars 2 trailer:

I'm less than fond of this new theme.

you shouldn't judge a whole theme by one pic of one character from it.

Ahem. :sadnew:

Does anyone think the cars will be motorized in some way? I think it would be neat if they were, and if the grand prix set was like the Multi-Challenge Race Track from seven years ago rather than just another tiny turbos playset. It would also justify all the new molds.

Ahem. :sadnew:

Does anyone think the cars will be motorized in some way? I think it would be neat if they were, and if the grand prix set was like the Multi-Challenge Race Track from seven years ago rather than just another tiny turbos playset. It would also justify all the new molds.

I could go for that. Though I don't expect that we'll get it.

This line looks like a unique opportunity for Lego to show a new building scale. I doubt that the cars characters will fit in minifig scale. It will be interesting to see what the designers will come up with to match the size of the cars. That's where this will kick the Duplo line's butt. My biggest complaint about the Duplo line is that there is very little "set" to the sets. They just threw a cactus in with Lightning. This line in system could have some awesome settings to put the characters in.

overall I think this theme is Meh!

You're doing that on purpose, aren't you? :hmpf_bad:

I doubt that the cars characters will fit in minifig scale.

Yeah, but then again, why would you want them to. However, I think the settings could be compatible with City if your city is made for 4-wide cars. Playsets such as Flo's V8 Cafe will make great additions to any town plan, I'm sure. :thumbup:

I'm prepared to bet that they're pull-back racers. :sceptic:

These could at least be brick-builts...

I'm prepared to bet that they're pull-back racers. :sceptic:

These could at least be brick-builts...

I'd love to see a four-wide brick-built interpretation of Cars characters. But I never have. Chances are it would be way too complicated to even consider, particularly when Disney's breathing down your back insisting on the accuracy of your character depictions.

If you can prove me wrong, by all means do so. I've loved most of the larger Cars MOCs that I've seen, and it's a real shame I've never seen any smaller-scale ones.

Aside from the one Lightning pic, are there any other pictures? I haven't seen any, so how can people be saying the whole theme is meh already? If this was a different forum I visit, they would be warned / infracted, I would think.

Seriously people, if you can judge a whole theme on set names, well, you must work for LEGO since you have inside knowledge.

Less crap posts, more smart speculation, please.

EDIT: No "back seat modding" was intended, sorry.

Edited by TheWarden

Less crap posts, more smart speculation, please.

You're not an admin, and we can't really speculate without anything relatively concrete to go off of.

I just hope the sets make up for the Cars themselves.

Yeah, but then again, why would you want them to. However, I think the settings could be compatible with City if your city is made for 4-wide cars. Playsets such as Flo's V8 Cafe will make great additions to any town plan, I'm sure. :thumbup:

I didn't mean that as a bad thing. I think it will be interesting to see what Lego comes up with at a different scale.

And if Flo's cafe is not exactly minifig scale it will probably come with some specialized useful parts for moc-ing your own gas station. So :thumbup: .

Here are the links to pics of some of the new cars sets, here and here

From these pics I would say that the sets look decent. :classic:

~buddy~