Sign in to follow this  
eNiGMa

The Attraction

thindexedgif.gif 18c

I wanted to break free of my vignette "rut" for a little while and try something new. What resulted is a ship inspired by the tourist vessels in Golden Sun and The Curse of Monkey Island. I've named her The Attraction, and she's ready for her maiden voyage!

a1.jpg_thumb.jpg

The ship is propelled by oars rather than sails in order to enhance its sight-seeing capabilities. This also keeps the crew out of the way of the tourists.

There's something on these tours for everyone, whether it's the ocean or the handsome tourguide/captain. Yes, it's very possible that you could have your own little fan club in this business, if you do it right.

There's plenty of deck space to walk around in, and some passengers even play games on board (the ball can be seen in this pic. Pardon the photography error!).

Here's the gallery:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=195686

I haven't taken the interior pics yet, but I'll post them here when I do. Comments and criticism are always welcome, of course.

Looks great! Funny, I've always seen you make vigs lately, so I'd forgotten you can build great MOCs not vig scaled.

Do I see some characters from your jellybean comic? ;-) You should make a custom sail for the ship, or a LEGO one, it's difficult sometimes, but it might look cool. :-)

Alright, I have a few problems with the moc, but I still like it. Does the ship ever use sails? If not then why not dismantle the mast? That shouldn't be a problem if the ship was modified to include oars. Lastly, wouldn't motor power be a more logical solution? Oar's power seems it would be less reliable in both speed and accuracy.

What I like: It has the right amount of colors so that it's not too jarring. The overall shape is nice. The figurehead holding a key is creative. The ship's stern.

And using the Control Panel piece to mount the flag pole on and rap the rope around. *y*

EDIT: One more thing. (teehee) The passengers need to be assigned life jackets! There's always the offchance that some kid will jump overboard.

Lastly, mind adding sails purely for aesthetic's sake?

Ahh, golden sun. That was a nice game to play. One thing though, I think this topic would get more replies if it was under the pirate section.

The ship itself looks good. It's nice to see a lot of space for passengers !

Does the ship ever use sails? If not then why not dismantle the mast? That shouldn't be a problem if the ship was modified to include oars. Lastly, wouldn't motor power be a more logical solution? Oar's power seems it would be less reliable in both speed and accuracy.

I tried building it without the mast, but it just didn't look right. Also, considering that this is a Castle MOC, a motor and lifejackets wouldn't fit in very well. ;-)

One thing though, I think this topic would get more replies if it was under the pirate section.

I considered that, but put it here because it's a Castle MOC (they had ships, too :-P). But, more replies would be nice, and it would certainly help to have this MOC reviewed by veteran ship-builders, so feel free to move it to the Pirate forum. Thanks! :-D

Thank you all for your comments. I look forward to building another ship sometime!

Does the ship ever use sails? If not then why not dismantle the mast? That shouldn't be a problem if the ship was modified to include oars. Lastly, wouldn't motor power be a more logical solution? Oar's power seems it would be less reliable in both speed and accuracy.

I tried building it without the mast, but it just didn't look right. Also, considering that this is a Castle MOC, a motor and lifejackets wouldn't fit in very well. ;-)

Ah, I had the impression that this is a modern tour vessel. Approximately what time period does the ship sail in?

Approximately what time period does the ship sail in?

You know, I actually hadn't thought of that.... Well, until I finish thinking, just figure this is any time during the Castle era. :-P Maybe a little later on, though. Whatever works, I guess.

I hope to be able to take the interior shots on Sunday. I'll post them here when I do.

A very nice creation, Nathan! :-)

I don't know that much about ships, but why is there a mast if it doesn't have sails? It looks a little strange to me. I also think it would be better if railing were a bit higher, they wouldn't do much if they are only a little above you knees. :-P

Overall, it's very well done. Keep up the good work. *y*

Looks great but there is no way 6 oars can move a ship that big at a good pace. I think the railing should be made a little higher so tourists don't fall off while leaning over too see the dolphins in the distance. Nice ship overall and it has a good color scheme too.

(hehe my 100th post!)great ship!! color scheme is okay, the design is great but....

I don't know that much about ships, but why is there a mast if it doesn't have sails? It looks a little strange to me.

I'm with Sir Dillon,(except I know pretty much about ships :-P) why is there a mast if it doesn't have sails?

It would look better if you add a sail, ships from the castle era also had sails, mostly a combination of sails and oars

Arrr

Mr Tiber

Thanks for moving this, jipay!

why is there a mast if it doesn't have sails?

I already answered that question earlier in this thread. I tried building it without a mast, but it didn't look right. Also, it's good for a lookout; passenger safety is a prime concern.

ships from the castle era also had sails

I'm aware of this, but there's gotta be variety, right? ;-)

We've had some really bad storms come through in the past few days, but today the weather was good enough for me to finally get the interior shots. Enjoy!

b6.jpg_thumb.jpg

I also built a ladder out of rods and droid arms to get inside, but--obviously not thinking of the photography--I attached it to the bottom of the deck, which was removed to take pictures. :-$

Anyway, thank you all for your comments. They've all been helpful, as this is my very first ship. I certainly look forward to building my next one! :-D

I'm aware of this, but there's gotta be variety, right?

Yes your'e right, but a sail would look pretty good, and if I'm not wrong, every ship with a mast had sails... always convenient, if the crew is tired you could use sail, I really reccomend you adding a sail, but thats your'e choice off course :-)

Arrr

Mr Tiber

a little late to add, but I think this is a really cool ship. I like the guy with the drum to keep the rowers moving. Great job.