Sign in to follow this  
Bob

Red Scare Mystery - Chapter Four

I'd like to ask dad to ask the pigs to tell us what they know. He should be able to translate.

Corn? Hmm... I'd like to search the corn fields to see if there's anyone hidden in them.

Hmm. locked. Officers, I need assistance.

I ask the officers to tell us to stand back as they shoot the door lock.

If that doesn't work.... who has the broom again?

I ask politely who ever has the broom to help smash the door, or break the windows so we can climb in.

Hmm. locked. Officers, I need assistance.

I ask the officers to tell us to stand back as they shoot the door lock.

If that doesn't work.... who has the broom again?

I ask politely who ever has the broom to help smash the door, or break the windows so we can climb in.

Usually, one can accomplish things with a less violent approach

I'd like the general store described to me

Well, we need violence, remember the M.A.D. policy? :hmpf: And how else will we get into a locked, old store?

I would like the store described too.

Do you have a key to the store, Simmons?

How about some unsolid conclusions, congressman? Wild theories? If we know what the commies are after we might be able to think ahead of them or reason out who they might be.

Oh come on people, there are rules for a reason. You can't just go around shooting out locks and smashing out windows. :hmpf:

So we moved on from the farmhouse without even looking inside? There's so many places we have to go back to, the Town Hall, the boat, the other farm buildings. This is getting out of order. But so be it, let's find a way inside then take a look around. If there's a doormat, I'd like to look under it.

Also, I vote we put our three new 'guests' in the cells during the night. Nothing personal, but I can't really trust anyone in this town, except the Chief and the Mayor. We've been warned about the newcomers, it might be a good idea to take precautions.

Oh come on people, there are rules for a reason. You can't just go around shooting out locks and smashing out windows. :hmpf:

So we moved on from the farmhouse without even looking inside? There's so many places we have to go back to, the Town Hall, the boat, the other farm buildings. This is getting out of order. But so be it, let's find a way inside then take a look around. If there's a doormat, I'd like to look under it.

Also, I vote we put our three new 'guests' in the cells during the night. Nothing personal, but I can't really trust anyone in this town, except the Chief and the Mayor. We've been warned about the newcomers, it might be a good idea to take precautions.

Whaat??? :wacko: Cells?

Takes out Constitution and points at 6th amendment. Reads: * Sixth Amendment – Trial by jury and rights of the accused; Confrontation Clause, speedy trial, public trial, right to counsel

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

We really should not leave the general store untill everyone is satisfied that it has been searched.

I would like to look on the glass for handprints or areas where the dust has been disterbed. I

Hmm, smells like it rained, I wonder...

I would also like to look to see if there are any footprints on the doormat. Afterall, footprints should have been washed away in the recent rain and the building is suppost to have been empty.

I vote we don't. My mother died in a cage and I have no desire to go back to one! I will not allow myself to be locked up!

While I agree that we should keep an eye on the newcomers, we don't even know who wrote the note. Plus we've already seen that locks mean very little with the armory being broken into while we had our backs turned. Keep your cool, Will. Be cautious and watch everyone. For all we know the commies could have gotten to the mayor and the chief, too. No offense to anyone.

I'd like give Will a good smack up the head.

With that logic, I'll write down a note that says 'It's Will! It's Will!' and we'd kill you on sight. That's ridiculous. The odds someone in the crew is a spy is just as likely a Soviet wrote that note to get us all riled up at eachother. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's entirely possible, but throwing some of us into a prison is like taking any random 3 of us and doing the same.

Look, the key to the store is probably in the farmhouse. Maybe we should look for it inside.

Not to mention they probably have valuable information about their boat, which we will investigate at some point.

I would like to glance back and see if the corn stalks are tall enough to have something hidden in them.

Also, if it is a dirt road I would like to look for any unusual footprints or tire tracks in the dirt.

They're not that tall yet. Looking at the dirt trail to the General Store, there's no footsteps.

I'd like to ask dad to ask the pigs to tell us what they know. He should be able to translate.

Corn? Hmm... I'd like to search the corn fields to see if there's anyone hidden in them.

Stevie pokes around the corn fields, but there isn't anyone in there.

Peering through the old window, you see a few boxes scattered about. The rest of the General Store has been cleared away.

Do you have a key to the store, Simmons?

How about some unsolid conclusions, congressman? Wild theories? If we know what the commies are after we might be able to think ahead of them or reason out who they might be.

"This isn't my property, so no." Simmons says.

"That's your job to figure out." The Congressman says.

If there's a doormat, I'd like to look under it.

There is no doormat on the outside of the store.

I would like to look on the glass for handprints or areas where the dust has been disterbed.

I would also like to look to see if there are any footprints on the doormat. Afterall, footprints should have been washed away in the recent rain and the building is suppost to have been empty.

There's no prints on the window, and the dust isn't disturbed anywhere. This could mean the store hasn't been accessed, or the dust has settled since last use. Also, there's no doormat.

I'd like give Will a good smack up the head.

Officer Fields hits Will on the back of the head.

I would like to throw a rock to smash a window of the general store to get in.

Gloria throws a rock, but the window doesn't break. Perhaps finding the key would be easier.

There's a few bins nearby the front of the store.

I would like to Search the bins cautiously, and giving one of the police anything I may find. If I find a note, I would like to read it out loud.

I would like to take a screwdriver off my boat and unscrew the door hinges of the door to the general store.

Well, congressman, you're as helpful as always.

I would like to know if there are any military bases or scientific labs in the area surrounding Alabatha that might be a target for the commies.

Since the farmhouse is already accessible maybe some of us should investigate in there as well. Even if the passage is not in the farmhouse, we can at least try to clear Simmons name. The more suspects we can discount the better.

While I'm glad to have earned your trust, I'm wondering why I've earned it and others have not? Any of the 21 among us could be communists, and I certainly am making no assumptions.

While I agree that we should keep an eye on the newcomers, we don't even know who wrote the note. Plus we've already seen that locks mean very little with the armory being broken into while we had our backs turned. Keep your cool, Will. Be cautious and watch everyone. For all we know the commies could have gotten to the mayor and the chief, too. No offense to anyone.

A very good point James. For all we know the red commie bastards could have written the note to throw suspicion on the newcomers, specifically to shield themselves from suspicion. That would be a commie thing to do.

Well, congressman, you're as helpful as always.

I would like to know if there are any military bases or scientific labs in the area surrounding Alabatha that might be a target for the commies.

Since the farmhouse is already accessible maybe some of us should investigate in there as well. Even if the passage is not in the farmhouse, we can at least try to clear Simmons name. The more suspects we can discount the better.

The DuPont Chemical Company has its headquarters and main research labs in Wilmington, which isn't too far from here. Perhaps information is brought from Wilmington to Alabatha and then transmitted from here. It's a theory, at least.

Annapolis, Maryland and the US Naval Academy is nearby, too. But you would have to cross all of Delaware, part of Maryland and cross Chesapeake Bay to get there from here. Not far as the crow flies, but very inconvenient.

There are naval bases in Virginia and Pennsylvania as well, but I would think they are a bit far to make Alabatha a viable option.

Given the amount of interest the US Government has in Alabatha, and the severity of the consequences should we fail, is it possible that the government has a secret reasearch facility here in town that none of us knows about?

I would like to wait patiently while Ralph searches the bins. After he's finished, I'd like to search under the bins.

Also, I ask that when we do get the door open, please don't rush in. Take a good look at the floor first. If this builidng is as unused as it seems like it is, then there should be foot prints in the dust on the floor.

I just realized I didn’t tell my life story. How rude of me.

I was born and raised in Wilmington. I went to law school at the University of Delaware. That is where I met my wife, Karen. After graduation, we married and moved to Alabatha to care for her ailing mother. I soon took up politics, serving on the Town Council for years before winning the mayoral election last spring.

Those of you that voted for me know that I am proud to be a card carrying Democrat. This town needed some changes (and still does), and after this ordeal is over, we can get back to making those changes. If we survive, that is. :hmpf:

So let’s hear from some of the others. How about you, Matt. How long have you been investigating communists? How many of these investigations have you carried out? How do you like working for the Chairman of the House Committee on Un-American Activities, what was his name again?

And Ieter, looks like you emigrated here right after the war. Were you fleeing the impending Soviet occupation? There's no shame in that. I would have tried to do the same if I were in your shoes.

Hmm yeah sorry, I was busy with the animals... You know, a farm is a busy place, always something to do. Now with all that's been happening and the investigating I hardly had any time to feed my piggies. So, what have you found so far? Anything interesting in that old store? I can't even remember the last time there was someone here.

Do we know who the owner of the abandoned store is/was?

Anyway, maybe you can come in for a bite and have a look around the house? I'm sure there ain't any tunnels in there, but I have some nice ham and fresh lettuce, maybe I could tempt you to a sandwich?

I'd like to enter the farmhouse.

We gotta find that key.

We don't really have the time for each of us to tell our life story. I fought in the war before joining the force.

I would like to Search the bins cautiously, and giving one of the police anything I may find. If I find a note, I would like to read it out loud.

Ralph reaches into the bins. He fishes out a key.

I would like to take a screwdriver off my boat and unscrew the door hinges of the door to the general store.

"We shouldn't split up." Matt says.

Given the amount of interest the US Government has in Alabatha, and the severity of the consequences should we fail, is it possible that the government has a secret reasearch facility here in town that none of us knows about?

Ding ding ding! :sweet:

I would like to wait patiently while Ralph searches the bins. After he's finished, I'd like to search under the bins.

Also, I ask that when we do get the door open, please don't rush in. Take a good look at the floor first. If this builidng is as unused as it seems like it is, then there should be foot prints in the dust on the floor.

Mayor Bradford then searches under the bins, but there's nothing there.

Do we know who the owner of the abandoned store is/was?

"The store closes twenty years ago at the height of the Depression." Chief Phelps says. "We'd need to use the records."

I'd like to enter the farmhouse.

I would like to enter the farmhouse as well

I would like to enter the farmhouse also.

To clarify, the farmhouse is Alan Simmons' home, and not some barn. Would you still like to enter?

So now we know what the commies are after (secret research facility)! Those secret passages are even more important now. The government probably would have built off of them. Maybe one of us works at this facility... Anyone want to say anything now?

I guess we should stick together and investigate the farmhouse later. I would like to enter the store whenever Ralph unlocks it.