Sign in to follow this  
the enigma that is badger

BrickArms Musket Prototype

Its perfect. I wonder when the bayonets will be finally available. It's been more then one year since the first prototype has been released... I will order at least 100 immediately :) :pir-classic:

Nice even though it's still a prototype i love it! Can't wait to update my british army's weaponry from pilgrim muskets to these! :pir-tongue:

Wow. Beautiful. I was hoping for a flint lock for Pirate uses, but this is perfect for soldiers, and that brown really works over the metalic. Will be ordering lots of these when they show up on the site.

I wonder when the bayonets will be finally available. It's been more then one year since the first prototype has been released... I will order at least 100 immediately :) :pir-classic:

Will prefers to take his time with mass producing BrickArms accessories to ensure they're the best that they can be. Sometimes that does mean a bit of a wait, but the quality of accessories has definitely shown Will the process of displaying prototypes and using fan feedback to tweak their designs is definitely one that works!

In terms of when the Bayonets will be available, not too much longer actually! Dan Siskind of Brickmania had pre-release Bayonets for sale at Brickfair, and it was clear they were VERY popular. Will does plan an update to the BrickArms website in the not-too-distant future (can't be more specific than that!), and I think you'll be very happy with what will be included! :pir-blush:

It's really too bad that I have to order through Sweden, as it makes it all more expensive then when I was able to buy directly from the Brickarms site, next to that I see that the resellers often don't have all items.

They are great products, but the price should be equal worldwide in my opinion.

They are great products, but the price should be equal worldwide in my opinion.

Comparing the listings of Warehouse19 using the XE currency converter, there's only a little difference, and that may be more a factor of the exchange rate and cost of importing the items. You might also try Minifigforlife, the BrickArms UK seller who ships internationally as well.

In terms of what's available from resellers, some items, like the BrickArms custom minifigs, can only be produced in small numbers such that Will can only keep an adequate stock for BrickArms. He has been considering starting internationally shipping again, but with the issue he previously had with lost and missing packages, if he were to do so, it would most likely be International Priority.

The musket looks good to me, however I wonder if you can mount a bayonet to the side? It looks like the u-clip would be to much stressed...

Another issue is posing the musket in such a position the soldier could aim from... it might be possible but I can't tell from the pics.

Other than that it's great work, but there might be room for improvement concerning the usability with a minifigure.

I wonder if you can mount a bayonet to the side? It looks like the u-clip would be to much stressed...

The barrel of the Musket is slightly wider than the standard grip size, but a U-Clip can be attached and not have it break or be overly-stretched. If you used that type of attachment for a longer period of time, you might need to gently pinch the fingers of the U-Clip to restore its grip strength, but beyond that, it should be fine! During the design process, Will did try a width that was grip size, and the Musket just didn't have enough heft to give a sense of a larger, heavy item muskets really were.

Of course, Will is also considering high-quality, flexible plastic U-Clips that are extremely durable, but that's another story . . . :pir-classic:

Another issue is posing the musket in such a position the soldier could aim from... it might be possible but I can't tell from the pics.

Posing with rifle-grip style weapons is always interesting given the limitations of the minifig arm, but experimenting with the Musket, I've found all sorts of neat ways to pose the fig that resemble firing and bayoneting, especially when you add a BrickArms Monopod to the grip. Utimately, it's just as posable as the LEGO rifle and other similar BrickArms accessories (M1 Garand, Lee-Enfield).

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm looking at my gunmetal/brown swirled musket that Badger gave me right now. I have to say, looking at it makes me want more! This prototype is sublime. The details are there but they don't overpower the simplicity of LEGO that we adore. The length and size of the gun make it look great in the hands of my Napoleonic soldier.

I am not alone in my opinion, at BrickFair Badger was going to lend our Napoleonic military display dozens of them, but because of the heavy demand he had to sell them instead! What a great reception to this great gun! I hope this convinces Will to move production up on this thing.

4876282299_78b1cd8e0b_z.jpg

Imagine this thing in the hands of the near 500 troops we assembled at BrickFair 2010! I only supplied 30 or so men, but big props to Magnus, Casey, and Chris on their contributions!

PS Badger I loved the bronze bayonets that Dan had on pre-sale!

Edited by Tervlon

It's in been molded in brown! :pir-cry_happy: This is the most amazing Brickarm in my opinion, and I'm very happy to see it have changed and been molded in ABS. As for questions, I have, a few. If, and when, it is massed produced, will you be able to let it be in brown? The only reason I ask this is because the double barrel was prototyped in brown, but was not massed produced in brown. Another question is, many muskets in colonial times to Napoleonic times were flintlock, and this is caplock. Have you considered making it rounder, so it looks like both, like the LEGOmusket?

Overall, it looks amazing! :pir-sweet:

-

General Redwater

I am not alone in my opinion, at BrickFair Badger was going to lend our Napoleonic military display dozens of them, but because of the heavy demand he had to sell them instead! What a great reception to this great gun! I hope this convinces Will to move production up on this thing.

I am sorry about that! Honestly, that was a truly beautiful display, and both Will and myself would have loved to provide you with all the Muskets you needed! Quite honestly, we weren't expecting the tremendous response they got!

If, and when, it is massed produced, will you be able to let it be in brown? The only reason I ask this is because the double barrel was prototyped in brown, but was not massed produced in brown.

Yes, should Will decide to pursue mass production of the Musket (and with just how popular it is, that's very likely!), Brown and maybe even Dark Brown are the two most obvious, useful colors for it to be available in.

The reason the Sawed-Off Shotgun (and M1 Carbine) aren't available in Brown is that the production mold used to create them includes many other items that aren't necessarily useful in Brown. So rather than run that mold in Brown and be left with many, many Brown MG42s, Will decided to just to a limited run in Brown to make enough Brown M1 Carbines and Sawed-off Shotguns to include with a custom fig.

However, with both the Kar98 and Musket so popular, its likely Will might pursue another Brown-centric production mold, like the one used to produce the M1 Garand and Lee-Enfield. Should Will include the Sawed-off Shotgun and M1 Carbine in that mold, then he'd be able to offer them in brown with no strange "off-color" extras!

Another question is, many muskets in colonial times to Napoleonic times were flintlock, and this is caplock. Have you considered making it rounder, so it looks like both, like the LEGOmusket?

First off, Will would never copy the detailing of a LEGO accessory; he respects LEGO too much to do something like that (regretfully, the same can't be said for others), and besides, since he has the ability to design new things himself, it's just more fun to create something new!

As for the flintlock vs. caplock, Will did give that issue considerable thought, and ultimately, the caplock just looked more attractive on this particular item. Ultimately, on the minifig scale, it's a small detail (but neat!) detail that really shouldn't prevent you from using the Musket for any Pirate, Colonial, Napoleonic, or Civil War era MOCs.

Edited by the enigma that is badger

Ultimately, on the minifig scale, it's a small detail (but neat!) detail that really shouldn't prevent you from using the Musket for any Pirate, Colonial, Napoleonic, or Civil War era MOCs.

I already plan to equip my Western Army soldiers with these. I really hope they do become available in brown, and as long as I'm hoping for things, the repeater and coach gun would look sublime in brown as well!

In fact, with the coach gun, percussion revolver, and single action revolver, as well as the the upcoming bolt rifle, repeater, and musket, Western builders have it quite well these days! The only thing we need now is that derringer. :)

Yes, should Will decide to pursue mass production of the Musket (and with just how popular it is, that's very likely!), Brown and maybe even Dark Brown are the two most obvious, useful colors for it to be available in.

Great! Even if it wasn't made in brown, I would still get it, but brown has made it so much better. :pir-classic:

However, with both the Kar98 and Musket so popular, its likely Will might pursue another Brown-centric production mold, like the one used to produce the M1 Garand and Lee-Enfield. Should Will include the Sawed-off Shotgun and M1 Carbine in that mold, then he'd be able to offer them in brown with no strange "off-color" extras!

That would be great! The Sawed-off in brown would be an item that I would buy many of. If the Sawed-off was prototyped in brown, and the MG42 was in the same mold, are there MG42s in brown?

First off, Will would never copy the detailing of a LEGO accessory; he respects LEGO too much to do something like that (regretfully, the same can't be said for others), and besides, since he has the ability to design new things himself, it's just more fun to create something new!

That's why I respect Brickarms so much, they never copy LEGO, and always have their own ideas. :pir-classic:

Ultimately, on the minifig scale, it's a small detail (but neat!) detail that really shouldn't prevent you from using the Musket for any Pirate, Colonial, Napoleonic, or Civil War era MOCs.

Yes, if it does stay caplock, I'm still going to equip my armies with them. This is one of the closest customs to the real thing. :pirate:

-

General Redwater

Edited by General Redwater

Hello everyone!

I would like to purchase this musket, but I can't see it on their official website. I assume it is already over so please contact me via PM so I can place an order. Thank you.

Hello everyone!

I would like to purchase this musket, but I can't see it on their official website. I assume it is already over so please contact me via PM so I can place an order. Thank you.

The BrickArms musket hasn't even been released yet. I believe it is going to come out next spring maybe?

Secondly, you can't send or receive PMs until you have made 10 posts. :pir-classic:

Edited by Ratshot

The BrickArms musket hasn't even been released yet. I believe it is going to come out next spring maybe?

Secondly, you can't send or receive PMs until you have made 10 posts. :pir-classic:

Start counting them then lol. I saw last post being published during the summer and it's already winter now. I like the prototype itself and I am not even certain what alterations on the musket could be made to further perfect it, seriously..It is extraordinary beautiful the way it is right now, imho ofc.

I can't wait for the custom cannon to be built as well. I believe the community deserves one, more or less authentic. Too many M16's, AK-47's, MP5's, Glocks etc. It is time to build some muskets, carbines, cannons, howitzers and the rest of the historical weapons used in Russo-Turkish wars, Napoleonic wars etc.

I may be a tad late to the discussion, but man those look great! Another excellent addition to the BrickArms arsenal. :thumbup:

I may be a tad late to the discussion, but man those look great! Another excellent addition to the BrickArms arsenal. :thumbup:

Great? Are you kidding? That's an understatement! I just don't know what are they waiting for to start selling it and earning some $$$..??

I think this would work very well as a caplock rifle from before the days of the cartridge ammunition.

Now if they would get the tan cricket bat and this gun in whatever color most suits the Australian colonial era, I would finally have an excuse to place an order :P

Whatever. I just hope that the BrickArms guys are actually reading this stuff. We need that musket before Xmas.

I saw last post being published during the summer and it's already winter now. I like the prototype itself and I am not even certain what alterations on the musket could be made to further perfect it, seriously..It is extraordinary beautiful the way it is right now,

I can't wait for the custom cannon to be built as well. I believe the community deserves one, more or less authentic.

I hope Badger does not mind me quoting him about Brickarm's response to inquiries about when future items will be released. All we know is that the musket is in prototype stage. Who knows if even the owner of Brickarms (Will) knows when these prototypes will be available. I am sure we will be informed if there are any updates to the muskets availability. In the mean time, we must patiently wait.

Keep in mind, for Will to design and prototype that design can sometimes take only a few hours. However, in developing a solid-steel production mold, filling that mold with designs, having the mold cut by a professional tooler, making sure every cavity in the mold is perfect, and injecting that mold thousands of time to produce enough BrickArms accessories to meet demand takes MONTHS and a considerable amount of resources (mucho, mucho $$$$). It's a painstaking process and frustrating delays can occur, but ultimately, Will taking his time to make sure the production of new BrickArms accessories is done RIGHT ensures these items are up to the extremely high standards of quality and craftsmanship that builders expect from BrickArms.

Given that delays can occur at any step in the design, molding, and stock update processes, Will doesn’t want his fans marking their calendars only to see an announced release date for new BrickArms items come and go with no new BrickArms items due to some unforeseen event. Rest assured that Will and the rest of the BrickArms Forums staff will keep everyone informed about new accessories, especially once they're available on the BrickArms website, but until Will is ready to do so, no specific dates or other information about the release of new items will be posted in a public forum or given in a personal message.

We would ask members to respect this and not to contact Will or any other staff member for such information.

Thanks for understanding!