Sign in to follow this  
Still Raindrop

Review: 7305 Scarab Attack

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

So, I went to Toys R Us today and picked up a few of the new 2011 sets. The first one I'll review is set 7305-- Scarab Attack, which I picked up for USD $5.

The Box

7305-01.jpg

7305-02.jpg

The box is nicely laid out. Since there is no action feature, the back of the box shows a very similar scene to the front. As a side note, it looks like the boxes this year are actually getting thinner! This doesn't affect smaller sets like this one, but many of the medium-sized sets have boxes that are the same thickness as this one.

The Pieces

Upon opening the box, two polybags and the instruction sheet fall out. There is no sticker sheet.

7305-03.jpg

Here are all the parts freed of their bags

7305-04.jpg

Here are the interesting/unique pieces. I haven't seen those claw parts in light grey before, and the pearl gold is different from the other gold that I have (the metallic gold from the Dwarf Mine set).

7305-05.jpg

I really like the designs on the scarab's back. Here's a closer view--note the hieroglyphic LEGO brick.

7305-14.jpg

Minifigure

Here he is, Jake Raines himself.

7305-07.jpg

7305-08.jpg

And here is Jake, standing next to the previous main adventurer character, Johnny Thunder. I have to say, Jake looks a lot more rough and ready, for the most part. He's not too smart, though, to be in the desert without a hat. They both have the weird sideburns, too.

7305-09.jpg

The Set

To start, here's a random page of the instructions.

7305-06.jpg

We start off building a small campfire. This goes by very quickly.

7305-10.jpg

We then begin building the base of what will become the scarab. It doesn't look too much like a giant beetle statue right now...

7305-11.jpg

Ah--that's more like it.

7305-12.jpg

The completed scarab. I really like it--it looks like a statue that came to life (just as LEGO intended), and it really does look very much like a scarab.

7305-13.jpg

Next to Jake, for size comparison.

7305-15.jpg

Conclusion

This is a really neat little set, and a great introduction to Pharaoh's Quest. Although it is a shame that it doesn't have a mummy, that would have driven the price up. Besides, the scarab serves as the antagonist, so a mummy isn't really needed. The set is simple, but it feels complete and well planned out. Moreover, it doesn't feel like a throwaway set--sure, we get another Jake Raines, but that scarab is too awesome to leave out if you're going for the whole collection. A very satisfying set.

Edited by Mariko

Wow! Awesome pics! I like this set, but I feel it's a bit expensive at $6.99 Canadian :sceptic:

Edited by prateek

Indexed!

Man, am I on the ball today!

Thanks for the review. I was already sold on these sets as soon as the first blurry scans turned up and these shiny pictures just make them more needed!

The scarab looks so cute though, I think it may need adopting as a pet by the intrepid Jake and his team.

The juxtoposition of Johnny and Jake was a nice touch :classic:

A great review. Couldn't get much better, not many features to point out. :thumbup:

I too think this set is complete. Most $5 sets, yea, they feel incomplete, as if thrown together from leftover pieces of other sets. But this one is just fine! A campfire (Although seemingly pathetic at first, a cup, chicken drumstick, and new flame are nothing to throw away) the main hero (Easily changeable for a more varied character) and a very nice scarab seems good enough to me! I would have thought Jake would come with a pistol, but, you know, a rifle is even better. :grin: If I see this, I'm definetely picking it up.

Excellent Review! :thumbup:

I got one yesterday and I actually think the scarab is one of the best designed creatures Lego has ever produced! :cry_happy: It's like a mini-figure! It has no awkward pieces, its legs are movable, and it quite sturdy! I put the staff from the guardians set in his hands and positioned him so he's propped up on it, and I have to say it looks pretty bad-a$$ :laugh: (the eyes are the only thing that bugs me a bit but I'm sure I'll think of a way to get around this)

I think this set is a total deal for 5 bucks, I mean some of the collectible figures cost that much around here! To me this set was an excellent addition to the guardians set and I will be incorporating the scarab into my army of mummies :wub: (and none of the other poorly-build "living statues") :tongue:

Edited by Sirens-Of-Titan

Hey nice set. I think I will get it if only to encourage the usage of printing. I could also really use those black exo force arms.

Edited by vexorian

This is a great set, especially for that price. With the Impulse sets for various themes now costing anywhere from $3.99 to $4.49 and providing so much less than this set, I consider this to be an incredible steal for the $4.99 price. I've already purchased this along with the Golden Staff.

I need like four battalions of those scarabs. That is one excellent mini-monster. This set looks like great value for the money.

Nice review.

You've sold this set to me because now I love it.

I'm pretty excited overall for this new theme :classic:

Thanks, everyone--glad you liked the review! I agree, the scarab has a certain cuteness factor. And Sirens-of-Titan, you put it really well when you say that the scarab is like a minifigure. I agree, and it is doubtless my favorite of all the brick-built monsters I've ever had.

I want to add that, after putting both this set and the new Atlantis Seabed Strider set together, I still prefer this set, even though it's half the price. It is rare to get a set that feels complete at only $5, as has been pointed out--most feel just thrown together. This feels more complete than even some $10 sets.

In addition, I really like Jake Raines. I had my doubts, but I think he's a worthy successor to Johnny Thunder.

Edited by Mariko

What a great deal at $5, but I wish the scarab was about 169% bigger, HALO style.

From a reviewer standpoint, what a great review, and awesome pictures.

I do wish that I had my old Johnny Thunder heads (they're scratched up), as I think that the original face was more dashing than the Orient Expedition one, and would have made for a better comparison shot.

Nice little PQ set! It's one of the smallest, if not the smallest, in the line but it really doesn't disappoint. The build of the scarab is pretty good, and the minifig is quite ok with new face and torso prints. Thanks for sharing this another wonderful review Mariko! default_thumbup.gif

So, I just had a short play session with this set (that's what I love about action themes--I build my town for display, and I give the characters backstory, but that's about it. When I get an action theme set, I play with it, even at age 21). It was great! It really brought me back to the days when I was nine years old, playing with my first Adventurers sets. This may be partly because Jake Raines is stated to be an American and, at least here in the US, Johnny Thunder wasn't identified as an Australian until around Dino Island, so I gave him an American accent to start. But that's just minor--the experience of playing with this set made me want to collect a few more Pharaoh's Quest sets. What a great line!

Wow! Awesome pics! I like this set, but I feel it's a bit expensive at $6.99 Canadian :sceptic:

Not really. A regular 'impulse' set is $4.99 for us. At least this one comes with a giant bug. :grin:

(anybody else notice that Jake's hair seems to be the same as the series two weightlifter?)

Excellent Review! :thumbup:

I got one yesterday and I actually think the scarab is one of the best designed creatures Lego has ever produced! :cry_happy: It's like a mini-figure! It has no awkward pieces, its legs are movable, and it quite sturdy! I put the staff from the guardians set in his hands and positioned him so he's propped up on it, and I have to say it looks pretty bad-a$$ :laugh: (the eyes are the only thing that bugs me a bit but I'm sure I'll think of a way to get around this)

I think this set is a total deal for 5 bucks, I mean some of the collectible figures cost that much around here! To me this set was an excellent addition to the guardians set and I will be incorporating the scarab into my army of mummies :wub: (and none of the other poorly-build "living statues") :tongue:

I absolutey agree. I normally can't stand the brick-built 'creatures' but, this one is quite awesome. TOTALLY does the job, without being unnecessarily complex and totally looks the part, with lots of pose-ability.

I absolutey agree. I normally can't stand the brick-built 'creatures' but, this one is quite awesome. TOTALLY does the job, without being unnecessarily complex and totally looks the part, with lots of pose-ability.

I agree. I didn't think I wanted this set - being more interested in the mummies. But this review has sold it to me. Thank you, i think :tongue:

Not really. A regular 'impulse' set is $4.99 for us. At least this one comes with a giant bug. :grin:

(anybody else notice that Jake's hair seems to be the same as the series two weightlifter?)

That hair has been around for a while; I think it first appeared in dark brown at Mutt's hair from the Indiana Jones sets. It appeared in black not long afterwards (and is also available in tan and dark orange).

That hair has been around for a while; I think it first appeared in dark brown at Mutt's hair from the Indiana Jones sets. It appeared in black not long afterwards (and is also available in tan and dark orange).

I thought it may have been but, a) I just noticed it, since I have those two figs in front of me and b) I was too lazy to go check. :laugh:

I agree. I didn't think I wanted this set - being more interested in the mummies. But this review has sold it to me. Thank you, i think :tongue:

You're welcome. :wink:

Honestly, though, I don't think you'll regret it.

You're welcome. :wink:

Honestly, though, I don't think you'll regret it.

It's 'bug-tastic'! :grin: