Sign in to follow this  
ghoulrealm

Crab Island

I finally have another moc to share with you folks :-D

This is something I've been wanting to do for some time.

A 'brick built beast' of a giant land crab inspired by Ray Harryhausen's claymation version in the movie Mysterious Island.

gaurding.jpg

the crab guarding her territory

gaurd3.jpg

still gaurding (different angle)

overheadgaurding.jpg

overhead

encounter1.jpg

Pirates encounter and surround our ill-fated crustacean.

in%20her%20cluches.jpg

at first she gets the upperhand, but

finalblow.jpg

eventually the pirates prevail!

Excellent crab, and nice use of pieces. What are the pirates after? Are there any plans to build more 'brick built beasts' in the near future?

What are the pirates after?

They are on a supply stop for fresh water and food (mmmmm! crab meat).

Are there any plans to build more 'brick built beasts in the near future?

Yes, I love the BBB's. I did a clam for the mermaid and a similar kraken to the cancled vikings design.

squid.jpg

I've allready posted him in a couple of treads and may post a "kraken attack moc" when I can concoct something interesting.

I don't have any other beast ideas yet. Thow out some suggestions??

Gadzooks! That is one rather large crab but just think of all the meat the pirates could get off it.

This is something I've been wanting to do for some time.

A 'brick built beast' of a giant land crab inspired by Ray Harryhausen's claymation version in the movie Mysterious Island.

The link is working for me at the moment - is anyone else having that problem?

gaurding.jpg

the crab guarding her territory

How can you tell if its a female crab?

Gadzooks! That is one rather large crab but just think of all the meat the pirates could get off it.

Hehehe, yes indeedy. I once had a taste of crab meat on a camp out by the beach (That place was loaded with them) and it was pretty revolting.

I saw the clam, but I wouldn't consider it a 'BBB'. That kraken is great, though! As for more ideas, a big octopus perhaps, a wild boar, an angry whale, a shark, a large snake, a mighty walrus, a giant rat? heh.

I look forward to more of your delicious beasts.

How can you tell if its a female crab?

Because some female crabs are lager than males and becuase she is soooo pretty! *wub*

I'ld show you a closeup of her reprodutive "parts," but I think that's againts forum rules! :-$

The link is working for me at the moment - is anyone else having that problem?

"is working" is a problem? :-D

I found a better Mysterious Island refference anyway

Because some female crabs are lager than males and becuase she is soooo pretty! *wub*

I'ld show you a closeup of her reprodutive "parts," but I think that's againts forum rules! :-$

Don't make excuses! Anything that can be shown on the Discovery Channel can be posted here! This crab doesn't really have reprodutive "parts", does it?

doesn't really have reprodutive "parts", does it?

This is how you tell on real crabs.

From the look of my crabs abdomen, it does look a bit more masculin 8-|

The way this crab is made reminds me a bit of the monsters from Vikings line... But it contains more "normal" (System) bricks... Great job, I'm a big fan of custom Lego creatures... *y*

The way this crab is made reminds me a bit of the monsters from Vikings line... But it contains more "normal" (System) bricks... Great job, I'm a big fan of custom Lego creatures... *y*

Its interesting what can be achieved with LEGO pieces and some creative constructions have come into existence because of them. However, I would rather not combine "built" animals with pirate sets because they look too far removed from the building style.

I would rather not combine "built" animals with pirate sets because they look too far removed from the building style.

Who's building style?...official lego designs?

In my opinion, the only undesirable aspect of built beast and extreme detail is that the connections are sometimes too precarious. Being limited to lego protocol is way too limiting.

I'ld rather have a close to system scale creature's leg or arm pop off than some big blocky sculpture that looks like low resolution dos games, and I think I would like bionicle more if it were scaled down by at least half.

I do try to follow a few guidelines though;

1. Do not stress a piece such as forcing connections or bending poles.

2. Do not cut or mutilate a part (i've done this before and always regreted it, but I'll use some accidentally damaged parts)

3. Never use nonlego products (although I did make some homemade sails that turned out rather well)

4. No painting (I'm a little lax on this rule in some situations- ie. a Jarjar minifig)

5. Try not to use your teeth to seperate parts

6. No smoking (my grandparents ruined all my classic set pieces with their habbit)

Edited by ghoulrealm

Yes, I was referring to the building designs produced for Pirate theme by The LEGO Company.

Maybe its contradictory to say I'm a "purist" when I don't like to mix created beasts with SYSTEM sets as seen in the Viking theme. Rather, I'd prefer the creatures to be made up of two or three especially designed pieces like sharks and alligators however.

But as stand alone creations or even as a set to themself I think they're a wonderful achievement of LEGO design. These creator sets have really opened up some possibilities, but I wouldn't like to buy a pirate set that combined the two.

I'd prefer the creatures to be made up of two or three especially designed pieces like sharks and alligators however.

I was a big fan of those initially, but as time went on, I grew to dislike them.

For some reason I really like MicahBerger 's rendition, as well as most of his models.

You might notice some similarities between his work and mine. He has been a major inspiration lately, but I do try to build with a fresh and unique method

I'm not "totaly sure, dude" but I think it's Leatherhead from teenage mutant ninja turtles.

1037473-movie-resized200.jpg

Or a slightly anthropomorphised aligator.

He named him Brutus so I guess the later.

Ghoulrealm, I noticed you have an exo-force arm in that amazing crab. Did you buy one of those robots?

Ghoulrealm, I noticed you have an exo-force arm in that amazing crab. Did you buy one of those robots?

Well, I bought a couple of the first exo-force sets for the new pieces.

I love new part types. Some people don't like "overly modified" bricks, but I say bring em on!

I was somewhat disappointed with the robot itself. Maybe a removable head would have been better and gained a more universal part.

That crab looks like a robot

Yep! thats another disadvantage to brick beasts.

or perhaps you think that due to the colors alone?

There may be no getting around that. :-(

I'll just have to have it moved to the Space & Mecha subforum under the title "Do you have space crabs"

Well, I bought a couple of the first exo-force sets for the new pieces.

I love new part types. Some people don't like "overly modified" bricks, but I say bring em on!

I was somewhat disappointed with the robot itself. Maybe a removable head would have been better and gained a more universal part.

I bought that $5 Sentry at Target, it was pretty dumb but it had a cool robot and some good peices so I'm not complaining. A robot in another robot, why don't they just build the first robot as big as the second and with as many of weapons? :-D

That crab looks like a robot

I think that sums up the reason why I'm against including "brick beasts" in SYSTEM Pirate sets - when juxtaposed in the same set they look too robotic. Like the Fenrir Wolf in the Viking theme looked way too menchanical to work as part of a SYSTEM theme.

A robot in another robot, why don't they just build the first robot as big as the second and with as many of weapons? :-D

I never though of that :-D thats pretty funny.

but youre getting off topic. I think were on crab robots in giant crab mechs. X-D

the Fenrir Wolf in the Viking theme looked way too menchanical to work as part of a SYSTEM theme.

I'm with you on that one. I have yet to see a good brick canid. It did provide some of the crab parts though (the legs)

I thought it was stupid how the new Technic cannon was used as the body...

7015-1.jpg

And the hind legs... They don't look very mammalian to me! This is like a robot out of Astroboy!