V()()D()()

Look what I just got - Report your latest Pirate LEGO acquisitions

Athos you were certainly right about good deals on ebay. I just saw a saucer centurion auctioned off for a mere 5 dollars! unfortunately i missed the boat.

Athos you were certainly right about good deals on ebay. I just saw a saucer centurion auctioned off for a mere 5 dollars! unfortunately i missed the boat.

Oh you need timing a tick a tick a tick a tick a

Timing a tick a tick a tick a tick a

Timing is the thing its true,

'Cause timing brought me to you... :-D

Steve

Saucer Centurion? PFFFFFFT!!! Who cares! We only want to hear of good pirate deals on eBay! In this forum anyway!

a while back i mentioned that prices on Ebay for pirates have decreased, remember? this offer illustrates my point:

to be clear about this: i'm not involved in this offer.

I must asked you Snefroe1, do you ever make pirate Lego purchases? I ask for you never have any mocs to show and I wonder why this is, do you not have a digital camera?

yep i do have a digital camera

yep i do build Mocs, for now only space mocs, i'll build a few pirate mocs next year, but i just don't have the money to buy and sets for the collection, and parts for space and parts for pirates

i usually buy pirate sets via my second hand shop, considering the fact that i don't have to spend extra on postage and shopping (usually, that would be 4 euros for a shipment in belgium) and the fact that they have pirate sets coming in on a regular basis... sure, without the box, but that's ok for pirates...

i most definitely would not buy minifigs or parts through ebay because priority is boxed sets for the moment; i'll worry about minifigs later... i'll just keep on buying pirate sets through my shop for another year and hope that'll be sufficient to man the mocs in mind...

However, with the pirate mocs in mind, i wouldn't need most of the typical pirate parts... except for cannons but even that problem can be solved when i start building the mocs...

most of the sets are stashed away in huge boxes in order to save some space and to protect them

Count Sneffy, is this the same second hand store that you found those MISB sets in?

nope. different one

i remember i did built a huge pirate ship in 1989, when we were all impressed by these brand new and brilliant sets of the pirate theme. Unfortunately, i only had the non-pirate bricks from other themes of the past, so i kinda built a traditional ship with a hull made out of bricks. the masts were 2x2 cylinders, strengthened by axles, cannons were basically 1x1 cylinders and i actually used real rope to keep these masts standing up. That was the hardest part really. Sooner or later one of these things would fall down , dragging the others with it in the process... i even made a huge instruction book for it, but i can't find it anymore; guess i'll have to look for it in the basement...

Count Sneffy, I suppose this ship you built is long gone and there are no pictures of it in existence? So there's no possibility of you sharing it with us because I'm curious to see how it turned out?

Did you get the result you were after?

Count Sneffy, I suppose this ship you built is long gone and there are no pictures of it in existence? So there's no possibility of you sharing it with us because I'm curious to see how it turned out?

Did you get the result you were after?

unfortunately, I don't have the instruction book anymore, nor do i have other drawings of it... X-O many things got lost forever during my dark age...

honestly, it was terrible... the ship was created with yellow bricks, because i didn't have brown bricks. the masts must have been in all sorts of colors. i remember i was quite disappointed when i finally got it finished... so it didn't last very long... My collection back then was mostly built around space, so I went back to space to build one last Moc, before fading into my dark age. Unfortunately, i was never able to complete that due to a lack of the necessary parts...

Hi, just wanted to make a topic where people could point out potential lots on ebay for others. (i know not everyone wants to help each other out here, since we drive the prices up against each other, but there is stuff that i am just not going to bid on, and i rather it turn into MOCs that i can see here! HAHA. Or atleast help some of you folks' collections)

So the first one i found, and i havent looked for small hulls lately, but here is a the black and grey hull for 10 bucks Buy it now, if anyone is interested.

if there is already a post like this let me know i will go revive it instead of start this one.

I used to do this all the time but nobody seemed to care, so I stopped doing it...

And just to gloat I once managed to get this hull for under US$4.00. And once I got it for under US$1.50 and it came with masts and a grey row boat... So effectively I got 2 of these hulls plus extras for 50 cents less than this auction!

the thing about the black and grey hull i found is that its hard to make pirate or imperial ships out of. However it is very appropriate in set 6493, flying time vessel, as it looks somewhat metalic. I imagine its a good hull for air ships though, Thats why i bought mine.

the thing about the black and grey hull i found is that its hard to make pirate or imperial ships out of. However it is very appropriate in set 6493, flying time vessel, as it looks somewhat metalic. I imagine its a good hull for air ships though, Thats why i bought mine.

i actually like it for variety, i have made a couple out of it...

I too have got this one for much less then this auction... around 3 dollars american... but the way hulls are inflating, thought someone might be interested.

Surely its a better colour than red like the Red Beard Runner and Red Beard's Pirate ship... Those thing would stand out miles away which is not good for pirates! Grey on the other hand would blend in with the ocean better.

i agree with you there phes phes its just it looks like its made out of metal and ships werent made of metal in the 16th century. One could pretend it looks like painted wood like in the red beard runner or cross bone clipper however as i said the other ship hulls are much more suited for pirate ships and the 6493 ship hull is great for the set its in, and also airship mocs. But thats just an opinion.

You obviously haven't heard of Iron Clads Mr Cleese. Obviously their hull wasn't made entirely from metal like the ships built today but they were plated with sheets of thick metal which acted as armour.

You obviously haven't heard of Iron Clads Mr Cleese. Obviously their hull wasn't made entirely from metal like the ships built today but they were plated with sheets of thick metal which acted as armour.

he said 16th century, which predates the golden age of piracy, but is the era of exploration (1492 - 1690s) .... (if you think about it this is probably where the later pirate theme takes place, when the earlier theme takes place around 1675 - 1725) there were no iron clads... and I have never read any acounts of iron plating until the end of the 18th century.

I am a history major, but not in naval history, so this might be wrong here, but I remember reading somewhere that old sailing ships used to add armour plating to the outside of the hull. Not on the scale as the Merrimack during the Civil War, which was a fully armour plated vessel, but I think it is possible that armour was used pre-19th century. Now we have to agree upon a time period that the lego pirates line takes place in, which I would place after the 16th century, and before the 19th century.

So to sum up, armour plating is possible, but no hulls were made of solid metal.

P.S. maybe someone with a better knowledge of naval history could clear this up?

Edit: Sorry Ska, when I read 18th century, I thought 1800's. So this long post have been in vain :-/

I am a history major, but not in naval history, so this might be wrong here, but I remember reading somewhere that old sailing ships used to add armour plating to the outside of the hull. Not on the scale as the Merrimack during the Civil War, which was a fully armour plated vessel, but I think it is possible that armour was used pre-19th century. Now we have to agree upon a time period that the lego pirates line takes place in, which I would place after the 16th century, and before the 19th century.

So to sum up, armour plating is possible, but no hulls were made of solid metal.

P.S. maybe someone with a better knowledge of naval history could clear this up?

Edit: Sorry Ska, when I read 18th century, I thought 1800's. So this long post have been in vain :-/

lol, its ok. The iron plating deal wasn't done because iron was so expensive to manufacture, plus it weighs down the ship. Now this could have been done in special cases, but as i have said i have not ran across one yet... and all i have beendoing this summer has been reading naval history for my masters thesis. Though you are definitely right around 1800 when iron came more readily and cheeper, some ships would be refit or built with some iron on their sides (I am pretty sure ol' ironsides (the USS constitution) wasn't one of those :P anyay... towards the american civil war more and more metal based ships were being produced, some with just old railway track (like the CSS Virginia was) and some with thin sheets of steel on the sides... in effect in began to bolster the arms industry as they tried to build more powerful guns to conquer these impenatratable beasts....

he said 16th century, which predates the golden age of piracy,

Yeah so? The Golden Age of Piracy was from 1715 to 1730 but there was a hell of a lot of piracy before then...

and I have never read any acounts of iron plating until the end of the 18th century.

Read this then sunshine! But you are right, it was used in European vessels after the end of 18th century, but Mr Cleese never said anything about the vessels being European.

he said 16th century, which predates the golden age of piracy,

Yeah so? The Golden Age of Piracy was from 1715 to 1730 but there was a hell of a lot of piracy before then...

and I have never read any acounts of iron plating until the end of the 18th century.

Read this then sunshine! But you are right, it was used in European vessels after the end of 18th century, but Mr Cleese never said anything about the vessels being European.

Sorry, I am a western scholar. Though thats pretty cool. ill have to read more about that.

I am going to disagree with wickapedia (since it is usually written by non-profesionals) I am not going to dig, but Angus Konstam in most of his books sites the golden age at 1700-1730. (pirates : terror on the high seas comes to mind as a good quick overview read on the subject.) since he is a pretty well accepted pirate historian, and i have seen others give this as the time of the golden age, for the fifty or so years before 1700 that woudl be the age of the buccaneers. I think Lego armada happens more in that period, as spain was farther out of the picture durringthe golden age, on the other hand i think the imperial guard are from the age of piracy, considering britain and france took it upon themselves durring this age to destroy piracy.... but that is my own take on it.

i apologize for my ingnorance phes im only 14, and i obviously dont have a masters in anything. I had heard of iron clads but i imagined that they were built around the 18th and 19th centuries. Despite that i still beleive its the hardest ship hull to make a pirate ship moc out of even harder to use than the cross bone clippers hull, which im using in an moc ship right now, called the forty theives. However lets not discuss that now, because we will be even more off topic.

To get back on topic...

I'd love to have a thread where eBay deals were placed on the board. That would give us the ability to see who is bidding on what, that way there would be less unknown competition amoungst ourselves, and may even cause prices to drop a little. I know if I was bidding against someone on this board, and they really wanted the set, I wouldn't be trying to outbid them in the same way I would outbid Joe Everybuyer.

To get back on topic...

I'd love to have a thread where eBay deals were placed on the board. That would give us the ability to see who is bidding on what, that way there would be less unknown competition amoungst ourselves, and may even cause prices to drop a little. I know if I was bidding against someone on this board, and they really wanted the set, I wouldn't be trying to outbid them in the same way I would outbid Joe Everybuyer.

same here... the less competition amongst us the better lol. i probably stepped on someones toes this last week when bidding.... though right now i'm too much in the hole from lego!!!! i am in florida right now, and just spend 84 bucks at the pick a brick wall! i wanted to get twicethat, but i just could not justify it. Alot of good basic pieces this time around, so sad i could not get more....