ZCerberus

WIP Phantom MkII

This is a really great MOC you've accomplished so far Z.

I really hope I get to see it in real life (soon). :pir-classic:

Traveling to MN soon?

That thing is huge! :pir-oh: I love the colour scheme BTW.

it is large, but we there are several on this forum of similar size. Check out Blacky's Le Fourageux for example!

I do love this color scheme though. We should thank the French for using it... more or less. Thanks French!

Edited by ZCerberus

I do love this color scheme though. We should thank the French for using it... more or less. Thanks French!

And the French should thank the Spanish. :pir_laugh2:

Beautiful Z! Just beautiful, her shape, her size, her colours, details, all perfect. And it is nice to see your ideas for the bow. I like the way you are thinking.

Have you tried to put a hose in the headrails? A nice curve can be archived that way. Using headlight bricks to attach beams between the headrails.

I also would add some anchor holes, as it would add even more detail.

Good luck! :pir-sweet:

Have you tried to put a hose in the headrails? A nice curve can be archived that way. Using headlight bricks to attach beams between the headrails.

There is a rigid hose that runs through the pearl gold cones, and the cones are not attached to each other along most of the headrail. It is still somewhat hard to curve them though, at least with the way I have attached the head rails to each other right now. I am thinking of ways to get more curve, but I might have to come back to that after I begin work on the stern.

I also want to change the sides/railing on the bow section.

I am somewhat sort on rown tiles (not a big surprise considering how many I am using) so I am working around that limitation while working on the decking.

I am out of town next week, so there will be no progress for a little while, but I hope to get moving again soon!

I just have to say that this project is much more impressive in real life than with the pictures!

The coloring of the gold, dark red & blue, and black is excellent. The aesthetics of the vessel flow together very nicely.

img_6285.jpg_thumb.jpg

The bowsprit is mounted on really well and looks very realistic.

I am really looking forward to the progress of this vessel. :thumbup:

Below is a thumb-link to the technic loop piece:

x278.gif

The loop is about 2X2 studs on the outside.

I just have to say that this project is much more impressive in real life than with the pictures!

The coloring of the gold, dark red & blue, and black is excellent. The aesthetics of the vessel flow together very nicely.

img_6285.jpg_thumb.jpg

The bowsprit is mounted on really well and looks very realistic.

I am really looking forward to the progress of this vessel. :thumbup:

Below is a thumb-link to the technic loop piece:

x278.gif

The loop is about 2X2 studs on the outside.

It was nice to meet you Phred.

Thanks for the info on that piece... if the wrenches don't work I will look at those.

I took some pictures Saturday morning I will post soon.

We have not blogged your last updates, and they certainly deserve this!

So expect your WIP MOC to be once again blogged soon!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

attention to detail is .... off it's head, and thats why your the man :pir-wub:

I may have a man crush on you.... but not in a gay way. :thumbup:

Thanks pirate people. I actually took a few more photos of some of the progress the day after Phred visited the ship. They didn't turn out great, but they do show that I have moved onto the stern of the ship. I will post some pictures soon!

Edited by ZCerberus

As promised...

Overview of where the ship stands in dry dock... there are some rigging strings attached here, mostly to see how they look. I am thinking my masts might need to be a little bit taller and I should go 4 or 6 tiles length taller.

img_6311.jpg

I have moved on to stern construction... it is still early and I am not entirely sure how I am going to do the cabin, but you can see I have added the mizzen mast and the stern gun deck is finished. No rudder or detailing on the back yet.

img_6317.jpg

And here is Phred, come to visit me. Phred actually supplied the cup and sword so his sig fig could be complete. After his departure, I cleaned all the dust off the spiral staircase. I just had to bring that over from the old Phantom. You can see there is a whole lot of "nothing" on the other side of the ship. I have the pieces to copy it over, but there is no point in doing it at this point... You can also see I haven't added the decking behind the main mast.

img_6318.jpg

That first picture looks excellent!

It looks very impressive now, with the big broadside it already has.

The only thing you may have to change is the stay from the mainmast to the bowsprit.

I think it's placed too high on the bowsprit. It should be very close to, or maybe even behind that core of ropes at the bottom of the bowsprit.

Right now it will mean that you'll get a very short fore mainsail because the stay is in the way.

But, like I said, the rest is perfect, keep it up :thumbup:

Just MASSIVE. Looks like another 100+ hours project... 100+ hours of fun, of course!

I sincerely hope you don't drop the ship once it is ready :pir-classic:

This ship truly dwarfs other "normal" ships, in size AND in the amount of firepower on it's broadside. It would be a shame to store it in a basement room, I hope you have enough space to put it somewhere visitors can see it. I'd even go so far and say it belongs in a museum. Great work!

Edited by Cherno

I am glad you had kept the stairs from the old Phantom. They look really good. My only suggestion for them would be to have the stair tiled to match the deck better. Although I am not sure how it'd look using a 1x1 plate, a 1x1 tile, and a 1x2 tile instead. The use of the fishing pole for the railing of these stairs is a great idea. :thumbup:

I look forward to the completion of the stern. :pirate: Using magnets to fasten the "walls" of the captain's cabin is a GREAT idea. I can see how magnets allow these walls to be any desired angle and shape and maintain a lot of accessibility to the cabin, which was vital for me. I now look forward to working on my stern for Constitution using the same method.

I really like the realistic size of the gun ports for this ship, and a more accurate gun port spacing. This added accuracy makes it possible for a full gun crew of 12 to 18 (or so) crew men to be able to surround each gun and allows the cannon to be rotated a little so that it can have a larger angle of fire horizontally.

The only thing you may have to change is the stay from the mainmast to the bowsprit.

I think it's placed too high on the bowsprit. It should be very close to, or maybe even behind that core of ropes at the bottom of the bowsprit.

Agreed. And easy to fix.

I am glad you had kept the stairs from the old Phantom. They look really good. My only suggestion for them would be to have the stair tiled to match the deck better. Although I am not sure how it'd look using a 1x1 plate, a 1x1 tile, and a 1x2 tile instead. The use of the fishing pole for the railing of these stairs is a great idea. :thumbup:

Yes, I would like to tile it. The stairs are made of wedge plates right now, and the studs on the lower stairs keep the wedge plate on the level above it from over rotating... I could change it I suppose, but I am not sure if I will yet. It is something I will keep in mind though.

I really like the realistic size of the gun ports for this ship, and a more accurate gun port spacing. This added accuracy makes it possible for a full gun crew of 12 to 18 (or so) crew men to be able to surround each gun and allows the cannon to be rotated a little so that it can have a larger angle of fire horizontally.

The key for me was after realizing the gun ports looked best at 3 x 4 to then make the spacing between the ports also an odd number of studs so a gun port and the distance to the next was an even number of studs total. This allowed me to space the gun ports and use rails to fill in holes in the shape created by using hinges. On the old Phantom the ports were 3 x 4 on the gun deck but the spacing between the guns was 4 studs, this meant I had to use 2 x 4 gun ports on the main deck. I couldn't easily build a second gun deck with the right look until I realized the odd spacing between gun ports would solve all my ills!

Edited by ZCerberus

Update.

Good progress on the stern.

I turned the ship around so I could begin "skinning" the backside. It would be quick and easy if I had all the parts... silly 1 x 1 tiles and old style hinges (and black fences). Anyhow, on to the shots!

img_6391.jpg

Definitely need to get rid of some of that black. I just don't have all the pieces I need to do it in dark blue. Minor tweaks to come though.

img_6393.jpg

A little too much sun! The ship was too heavy to move it to shoot from the other direction just for this shot though!

img_6394.jpg

Well not quite in focus, but you can see a more accurate representation of the color here.

img_6396.jpg

Back 3/4 with the flash on. You can see I am working on skinning the ship. I need a few pieces to complete it... black hinges, 1 x 1 dark red tiles and some 1 x 2 dark blue jumper plates.

img_6398.jpg

No flash look at the stern. You can see I haven't finished the decking or railing on the poop deck, but I am getting there. You can see Phred's sig fig hasn't moved since I started working back there. Lazy bum.

Wow, the blue really does it for me! I mean, I've been kinda skeptical before, but ever since you started adding the blue parts I've come to like your ship quite a lot. And the stern is definetely one of the best sterns I've seen so far, great work!!!

A really great update, with a wonderful stern, ZCerberus :thumbup:

I like the dark blue color scheme with those gold accents, I like that you've used that new golden scarab shield from pharaoh quest and those lanterns look great.

Does all those black parts of the stern become blue? I'm not that sure if that will look so great.

And those larger gold circles look a bit strange, maybe because they aren't on one line.

But really great work so far, and I'm looking forward to the next update. :pir-sweet:

the Inventor

As a start, what a fantastic stern! It looks a little like this one, but much better. The stern chaser hatches look great.

I like the small open part in the middle, and all the gold pieces (especially the parts between the windows).

Your lantern design is also excellent :thumbup:

I agree with the inventor about the Gold circles looking a bit chaotic though.

And I suppose the black part below the stern will be tiled in the future?

Then I think everything is going great on this ship. Keep it up!

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

As a start, what a fantastic stern! It looks a little like this one, but much better. The stern chaser hatches look great.

I hadn't seen that ship, but it is indeed similar. I was pulling more inspiration from "Le Superbe" but with the blue and gold scheme.

And I suppose the black part below the stern will be tiled in the future?

and will have a rudder. Yeah... that section not yet high on the priorities list.

Does all those black parts of the stern become blue? I'm not that sure if that will look so great.

Not all, but some of those that seem to be floating out in the middle of nowhere... will go to dk blue

3 words - a-maz-ing!!! ;) But I'm quite curious. Since I'm not a snot-expert and unexperienced with hinges (because I only got a few Hinge Plate 1 x 4 swivel top yet) ... How did you make the lower area with the thre side-windows and the hinges stable?

The dark blue/gold looks really great, especially combination of the goblets and telescopes.

How did you make the lower area with the thre side-windows and the hinges stable?

No hinges.

It is attached to the ship with magnets.

:pir-oh3: Wow Z

The the colourscheme is great and a the stern is amazing.

One question though???

Will the bit beneath the cabin stay as just black plates.

Can't wait to see it finished. :pir-classic:

Edited by lt.Gonville brickhead

You can see Phred's sig fig hasn't moved since I started working back there. Lazy bum.

What's wrong with being lazy?! :pir-oh3:

You're the one that doesn't want to stay outside and went indoors. :pir-tongue:

Hey, and where's my refill of coffee?! :pir-angry: Hurry up will ya!

:pir-grin:

That is A LOT of progress! I'm impressed. :thumbup:

The color, details, and everything look great!

I like you're raised quarter deck. It looks really good so far. That will mean your vessel will probably be taller than flush-decked vessels that are similar in size. :cannon:

The back of the back of the stern seems a little flat. But I really have no idea how to have it curved. :pir_wacko:

One question though???

Will the bit beneath the cabin stay as just black plates.

I'm certain those black plates will be tiled like the rest of the ship. :pir-wink:

On a large build like this, a person is definitely going to run out of certain bricks and continue to build.

Great update Z! The ship looks much better now when its 2 decked. When i first saw your newest photo i thought at "Damn, has he done a 3 decked instead of 2?" But then i looked closer and saw at it was stil 2 decked. Anyways, the stern looks quite nice, but i was excepting something like HMS Victory`s stern, but that looks cool too (Even at there could be the third cabin). Are you planning to do the inside of the cabins? I could write this comment for a long way yet, but i shall not right now. More feedback when its done, Good luck whit her :pir-wub:

Oh and i think at that Dark blue and dark red fits quite nice together.

Captain Becker