Walter Kovacs

UCS Nebulon B-2 rev 2.0

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Back in February I made a topic showcasing my newly completed UCS Nebulon B-2 model. That topic is dead and buried, and can be found here, if you are interested.

In that topic, I promised that I would build the model someday. Well, someday has arrived.

The Nebulon B-2 frigate is a modified version of the Nebulon B frigate made famous in the closing scene of ESB. It first appeared in the TIE Fighter video game. There are several different imaginings of what the Neb B-2 is supposed to look like. I used the images from Wookiepedia primarily as inspiration, but added some of my own interpretations into the design.

Overall

132.jpg

Front View

133.jpg

Wing

134.jpg

Hangar Bay

136.jpg

Aft Section

137.jpg

Engines

139.jpg

Engines Close-Up

141.jpg

This model took over three years to design, and took well over 8 weeks to actually build, mostly due to lack of time.

I apologize for any picture quality issues. This model is very large (~3 ft long, about 18 inches tall, excluding the antenna cluster) and heavy, which makes it hard to photograph. I had to place the model on the floor, which means that my tri-pod puts the camera above the model. Pictures from below are going to be tricky, if not impossible. If there are any additional photos that anyone wants, please feel free to ask.

As stated in the topic title, this is my second attempt at a Nebulon B-2. The first attempt, which I have dubbed the Technicolor Yawn, didn't turn out as well, color choices aside. This new design is an improvement almost everywhere.

That being said, the model is not perfect. I misjudged where the moment of inertia in the forward section was going to be, so the front stand really needs to be moved forward by 5-6 studs. It doesn't sound difficult, but the change is pretty major in the internal workings, so it will have to be put off until Rev 3.0, if that ever happens. I also would like to change the SNOTed plating that covers the aft section to slopes and SNOTed slopes, to match the forward section. The aft section was one of the first parts of the design completed, and the forward section was the last. Other than that I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

There are a few more photos in the Brickshelf Gallery. Like I said, I didn't take all that many.

Questions and comments are welcome. Like I said, the model is still together, so photo requests are also welcomed.

I like it! The greebling looks really good and the hanger bay has just enough yellow to break up the monotony of the grey. As you've said, though, the plating on the aft section really doesn't do it for me.

*huh* That's what a Nebulon frigate looks like? Man, I've been wrong for quite a while. Thought it just had 1 wing sticking out of the bottom. :laugh:

This looks great. The back reminds me a bit of the Twilight. (But it's ok, I kind of like that ship. :tongue: ) I actually just finished watching ESB. Very accurate. You could even make a micro MF, and it'd be to scale.

Edited by CallMePie

*huh* That's what a Nebulon frigate looks like? Man, I've been wrong for quite a while. Thought it just had 1 wing sticking out of the bottom. :laugh:

This looks great. The back reminds me a bit of the Twilight. (But it's ok, I kind of like that ship. :tongue: ) I actually just finished watching ESB. Very accurate. You could even make a micro MF, and it'd be to scale.

You're not mistaken, the Nebulon-B frigate is the one seen in ESB and ROTJ. The Nebulon-B2 is an EU creation.

I like this MOC. IMO it could use a few more greebling on the the rear of the ship, but overall it's very cool. I love the detail of the engines and the docking bay. :thumbup:

I like this MOC. IMO it could use a few more greebling on the the rear of the ship, but overall it's very cool. I love the detail of the engines and the docking bay. :thumbup:

I had thought about greebing up the aft section, since there are studs to do it. But once I knew the forward section was going to be studless by using slopes, I backed off of that plan. I didn't want to add to the disparity between the fore and aft sections.

i'd say add a few tiles to the rear panels as the studs give it detail whereas the front is smooth.

Megablocks! *oh2*

Thats really a Nebulon frigate! :wub:

The front is very well done, loving the curved-sloped look.

I agree with Cavegod, about adding some tiles to the back, but on the whole, very impressive! Loving the engines and all those greebles!

CF

Edited by CommanderFox

Excellent creation Walter! default_thumbup.gif I love how you made this a hybrid between the Nebulon B-2 (overall shape) and the Nebulon B-frigate (wing design). (Is that the right assumption?) The rear greebles are just amazing, now if you could only fix the aft plates with the same build as you did with the front of the ship, then it would be perfecto!

Hello Walter!

This looks pretty impressive so far. You've spent a lot of effort for the small details making this a fantastic starship. I am looking forward to your final improvemnets of the rear section. :classic:

One question remains. :wink: Does "adding some of your own interpretations" include the additional fourth engine in the lower engine block? :wink: Unlike the Nebulon-B frigate, the B2 frigate only has six engines instead of seven. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Great work! Your greebling and design is very good :thumbup: It looks very impressive :classic:

Keep building!

Cool engine greebles!

Looks just like it! Nice work. :thumbup:

AWESOME Nebulon - excellent detailing to the whole ship ! :grin:

Remember, the brick will be with you always ! :yoda:

Great work! Your greebling and design is very good :thumbup: It looks very impressive :classic:

Keep building!

Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

i'd say add a few tiles to the rear panels as the studs give it detail whereas the front is smooth.

Megablocks! *oh2*

Thats really a Nebulon frigate! :wub:

The front is very well done, loving the curved-sloped look.

I agree with Cavegod, about adding some tiles to the back, but on the whole, very impressive! Loving the engines and all those greebles!

CF

While I agree that the back end needs "something", I'm pretty sure I don't have enough light gray tiles to do an adequate job. I'll try, but I don't make any promises. If it turns out well, I will take some more photos.

Excellent creation Walter! default_thumbup.gif I love how you made this a hybrid between the Nebulon B-2 (overall shape) and the Nebulon B-frigate (wing design). (Is that the right assumption?) The rear greebles are just amazing, now if you could only fix the aft plates with the same build as you did with the front of the ship, then it would be perfecto!

Yeah, a Nebulon frigate just needs all the greebly bits along the wing, regardless of whther it's a B or B-2.

Using slopes for the aft section is going to have to wait. I will need a lot more BL orders to get the slopes (I'm tapped out at the moment; can't imagine why), and the internal structure needs to be completely re-worked to accomodate the change.

Hello Walter!

This looks pretty impressive so far. You've spent a lot of effort for the small details making this a fantastic starship. I am looking forward to your final improvemnets of the rear section. :classic:

One question remains. :wink: Does "adding some of your own interpretations" include the additional fourth engine in the lower engine block? :wink: Unlike the Nebulon-B frigate, the B2 frigate only has six engines instead of seven. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Wait, the B-2 has seven engines, I know it does. *runs to check Wookiepedia* Crap, it doesn't :blush: I knew that, I was just testing you. Yeah, that's it.

Honestly, I think the bottom row would look a little empty with only three engines. Not entirely accurate, but looks nice.

Fine. I'll adjust it for rev 3 :tongue:

Awesome work Walter!

This is most impressive. I agree with the additional engine, I think it helps fill the aft section.

Luckily MOC's are always your creation, so your never wrong!

Awesome work Walter!

This is most impressive. I agree with the additional engine, I think it helps fill the aft section.

Luckily MOC's are always your creation, so your never wrong!

That's a good thing, because I'm "not wrong" a lot :laugh: