ZCerberus

WIP Phantom MkII

Looks like she iss coming together really nicely again, I love the switch to dark red, blue and pearl gold! :thumbup:

It could be the angle, but the bow seems a bit flat to me, it might look better with the prow on, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, good luck on her!

As for the capstan, you could make one on the place of the picture, and make something below the deck to make the anchor system work well.

There is a capstan in the lower gun deck right now and it does raise and lower the ropes when turned. Only problem is that it runs through two gear boxes to ensure it turns properly. The gears for the gear boxes are rather large which means I have to turn the capstan A LOT to make the ropes move at all. I hooked the capstan up to a power functions motor and wound it up and it worked smoothly to move the ropes up, it just probably took a few hundred rotation to get there.

I love the switch to dark red, blue and pearl gold! :thumbup:

Thanks. Though Pearl Gold is so hard to work with since the only pearl gold plates are jumper plates or modified plates with clips.

It could be the angle, but the bow seems a bit flat to me, it might look better with the prow on, but I'm not sure.

Yeah? It may be a little steep, but I am hoping the prow will help it out. It at least looks rounded as compared to the older versions. I am not sure if there will be any major changes there, but we'll see.

By the way, good to see your hair is green once again!

Edited by ZCerberus

That's one hell of a might fine ship your are building Z!

I love the colors you are using :pir-wub:

Correct. Just the ol' charlie noble would show on the main deck, but the galley would be below the main deck and there is a capstan on more than just one level of the ship, I suppose I could just slide an axel through that area and not have a capstan below the main deck, but I think I would want a capstan there as well...

I agree that you should keep two capstans. :thumbup:

Have you thought of have the upper and lower capstan to be geared separately?

Each capstan could then handle two anchor cables.

A thought on the bow:

The top portion of the bow could be made "pointier" and would give the illusion that it's further back than it really is.

Have you thought of have the upper and lower capstan to be geared separately?

Each capstan could then handle two anchor cables.

Yeah... I considered it, but I would need to devote more space to the capstan raising mechnism in the front than I would like. It would be rather cool to do it that way. I know you have done some interesting work with capstans and gearing in the past (thinking of your old ship... don't recall the name- Dom De Loope?), have you ever geared the ropes separately?

A thought on the bow:

The top portion of the bow could be made "pointier" and would give the illusion that it's further back than it really is.

Hmm... well the first thing I need to do is complete the prow to see how that looks- then we'll see how it looks...

That looks great so far Zcerberus! :pir-wub:

The colours really stand out! Dark blue and pearl gold is a neat choice, but don't overdo it. :pir-wink:

Good luck with the bow, the hardest part is yet to come. Since you use (basically) the same bow technique, I'm very looking forward to how you are going to solve these problems.

Yeah... I considered it, but I would need to devote more space to the capstan raising mechnism in the front than I would like. It would be rather cool to do it that way. I know you have done some interesting work with capstans and gearing in the past (thinking of your old ship... don't recall the name- Dom De Loope?), have you ever geared the ropes separately?

You probably would need more space. The two capstans are geared separately on Constitution. One capstan handles four anchor cables, each one could be geared individually or all at once. The other capstan handles two lifting cables for the masts, which can also be geared individually. There is about 5 bricks high, eight studs long, and 30 studs wide of gear craziness.

Once the hull below the waterline is done I'll probably be working to make the engaging and disengaging of the gears more solid. It works real well. I just have to be real careful to not pull too hard when disengaging the gears, and make sure all gears are fully engaged or disengaged before turning the capstan.

The vital gears that made it possible was the usage of this gear 741.jpg, and its friend g9.gif.

An axle can rotate independently inside the first gear.

Absolutely mind boggling :pir_laugh2: I am lost for words :pir-classic: Could you possibly enlarge the pictures so we dont need to have to click on them?

Well they are too large to post here. I would need to shrink them to something more reasonable (800 x 600) to put the pictures in the thread and I did not have the capabilities to do so at the time I but the pics on brickshelf. In the future they will likely be posted in the thread with 800 x 600 dimensions, but you will need to click on these for now!

Thanks. Though Pearl Gold is so hard to work with since the only pearl gold plates are jumper plates or modified plates with clips.

Yeah? It may be a little steep, but I am hoping the prow will help it out. It at least looks rounded as compared to the older versions. I am not sure if there will be any major changes there, but we'll see.

By the way, good to see your hair is green once again!

Pearl gold is a challenge, but it looks frikkin awesome if you ask me. :pir-grin:

Bows can be difficult, just bear in mind that you want it very round at the point where the headrails start. They go from a beam of wood, very pointy, to very round, perhaps one of the hardest shapes to achieve with square bricks.

Yeah the blue paint was cheap Chinese stuff, so it washed out when I fell in the water again...

I'd keep the capstans as well, the more detail the merrier! :thumbup:

Yeah the blue paint was cheap Chinese stuff, so it washed out when I fell in the water again...

Be careful bringing up cheap Chinese anything!

Well my wife is going out of town next week, so I might get some time to make some progress on the ship. The bow is definatley the target. Check for updates soon!

Be careful bringing up cheap Chinese anything!

Well my wife is going out of town next week, so I might get some time to make some progress on the ship. The bow is definatley the target. Check for updates soon!

Does it really need any more progress, it's great!!!

That ship is giant! Almost too big. However I love how you take it apart to see into the decks.

Some more work. The dk blue isn't really visible until the flash in the camera amplifies it. I would, for example. want to remove the blue "stripe" on the fore above the doors now that I can see it in the pics.

img_6285.jpg

You can get a good look at the catheads from here.

img_6291.jpg

A straight-on look at the headrails

img_6296.jpg

And finally a shot down the broadside.

img_6293.jpg

Holy cow! :pir-oh3: Thats just incredible Z! :pir-wub: you have made a huge progress this time. The pearl golden head rails look really good and the bow is just amazingly done! Cant wait for more pictures now! The whole thing is coming along really nicely, keep it up :thumbup:

Captain Becker

EDIT: The blue stripe is a bit weird indeed, but maby you should try that on pearl gold too first? I think it would look good too.

Edited by Captain Becker

I like how it is coming together, great colours and the headrails are starting to look the business as well!

I do however think the bow is still too flat and should be more round.

And how are we supposed to know if this is a Red or Bluecoat ship now? :shark:

Now that's an impressive broadside! :thumbup:

The last picture looks excellent (and so do the other ones).

I think you could give the headrails more of a curve and perhaps let the bumkins go over it (instead of going 'through' it).

wasnew1.jpg

But I really like the fact that you're using those bumkins.

The catheads look great as well, and the hooks are a good detail. And (I can't say it enough times), the blue stripe is awesome :thumbup:

Keep it up!

Agree whit Croissant, the headrails could be more curved if that is possible.

BTW: Whats the ships name photo tooked from? (I know at it isnt a real ship, just a model. And sorry about off topic, it wont happen again, i promise)

Captain Becker

I think you could give the headrails more of a curve and perhaps let the bumkins go over it (instead of going 'through' it).

Yeah... I have been working a lot to try to get them more curved. It is hard with the way they are constructed to get them to be pearl gold.

I looked at a lot of headrails and none are exactly the same. Though I think it would look better if I could indeed achieve a better curve on them.

I have seen bumkins go both through and over the headrails. I am mostly going through them to help keep them in place!. The whole thing is really only connected in two spots, so it is nice to have something in the middle holding them down.

Edited by ZCerberus

I do however think the bow is still too flat and should be more round.

It might partially be the pictures though, because it does definatley have a rounded look. It might be a little too fast a transition, but I am not sure there is much to be done with it now. I think it will probably stay that way!

And how are we supposed to know if this is a Red or Bluecoat ship now? :shark:

Sir, you insult me! Everyone know my heart only pumps red coat blood!

I have seen bumkins go both through and over the headrails. I am mostly going through them to help keep them in place!.

The whole thing is really only connected in two spots, so it is nice to have something in the middle holding them down.

Ok, I see. Then I have no problems with it :pir-classic: Seems like a clever idea to place them through the headrails now you say so.

BTW: Whats the ships name photo tooked from?

It's the HMS Pandora. I took the picture from this site.

Ok, I see. Then I have no problems with it :pir-classic: Seems like a clever idea to place them through the headrails now you say so.

I have seen a couple of ships with them runing through the rail, but they often times have a cutout for them. They are attached to the head rail with a small rubberband to keep them and the headrails from moving too much.

This is a really great MOC you've accomplished so far Z.

I really hope I get to see it in real life (soon). :pir-classic: