GRogall

New Lego Exclusive 10217 Harry Potter Diagon Alley

Whoahhh *huh**oh2*:grin::sweet::laugh: :laugh: :wacko::thumbup: :thumbup: :cry_happy:

This is such an amazing set, just like the old HP sets in that it is such a treasure trove of nice parts! And printed parts! Sand green! Olivander!

And at such a reasonable price too.

I'll defs be picking one of these up.

Nice to have an answer as to the set Svelte was hinting at a while ago.

I think there is a difference between the advanced CC building techniques and SNOT tiling. While I love advanced techniques these really don't have much in the way of SNOT work. Almost every surface has exposed studs.

SNOT does not refer to studs not being exposed or studs being tiled over. SNOT alludes to the orientation of the pieces -- Studs Not On Top as in studs down or studs to the sides. [Reference] I only point this out because I had this wrong for years.

Nice, but a little on the small side.

I agree.

...which is why I'll be getting a pair of them.

I think this set is great to make into modular buildings. :wub:

Just wanted to share this for an easy view of all the minifigs included.

diagon-alley-minifigs2_small.jpg

Edit: Oops, original file was too big so I resized it. Original file can be found here

Edited by metalgearsolid

I think this set is great to make into modular buildings. :wub:

Just wanted to share this for an easy view of all the minifigs included.

Edit: Oops, original file was too big so I resized it. Original file can be found here

Actually all the minifigures can be clearly seen on the first page, and all can be zoomed if you klick on them! :tongue:

I have already posted in this topic, but I have to post again. I've decided only one post isn't enough to extoll the brilliance of this set in. :laugh:

The minifigs look brilliant, I am in love with the Ollivander figure. This must be the greatest Harry Potter set ever released by a mile, if not one of Lego's best. As someone else mentioned, it's interesting that this was designed by the same designer as MMV. It is very uch in the same vein; kind of mini-modular buildings, brimming with detail. While some say the interiors are a bit sparse, I think it encourages you to add your own details. I can't wait to mod the interior of Bourgin & Bourkes. :sweet:

Once again, bravo Lego for releasing a brilliant exclusive. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I was watching the video on S&H. Cuz I wanted to know who designed this beautiful set. Nicolas Groose (or how he spells it) is now my favorite desigener.

There is something special about his sets, an instant recognition, a special wow-factor. And he is doing it with such a few pieces! Less is more when comes to design and it shows you don't need to stick to the CC-style to build beautiful buildings.

Edited by Ferdik

WOOOOOH!! This is where you all are talking about! Oh my what a great set! And Hermione in normal clothes!! (It looks very like Ginny's clothes..) and Fred en George :wub: This is a very good start of 2011!

I was watching the video on S&H. Cuz I wanted to know who designed this beautiful set. Nicolas Groose (or how he spells it) is now my favorite desigener.

His name is Nicholas Groves and here is something about him:

Nicholas G. on Coroflot

He is a very nice guy. Don't speak much Danish though :tongue:

Edited by Front

Oh good you are here Front! Is it Nic that is behind this set, or are there several designers behind it?

The first feeling a lot of people have had is that it feels like a Jamie set.

Would be nice if Jamie or anyone else of the designer could omment on this in this thread.

Never the less, an awesome set, and it will be mine shortley!! Well.... in three months t least.

Got to be honest, Harry Potter lego hasn't ever really interested me that much. The books and films were good, but I could happily leave the Lego on the shelf.

But this is gorgeous. :wub: It's not cheap, but it's still unbelievably tempting. Think I'll probably end up caving in and desperately trying to find some more free space to display this one.

Okay I would edit my original post but that was 2 pages ago! :laugh: Anyways I thought I'd share my thought on this set;

My first thought was, Wow! This looks great! Then I saw the piece count and I was like, This is gonna be expensive. Then I saw the price and I said, yes! I'm totally getting this!

This is one cherry set!

I think it just pole-vaulted to the top of my wish list. :laugh:

Wow. This is an insanely good deal for a licensed set. Only 7.4 cents per piece (U.S. $)! It would be nice if B&B had a more detailed interior though. And Greyback was't really the best choice since he comes with the Burrow as well. They should've made a proper shopkeeper for B&B instead. Still, those are pretty minor gripes considering all the positives. Here's hoping Lego expands on this one next year with more shops.

This is why Lego don't like sets of pics being leaked early. Because I've seen this magnificent set I'm not going to purchase the Hogwart's castle (which has only just become available to Aus buyers to order or purchase in the last couple days unlike some European and North American markets).

This is why Lego don't like sets of pics being leaked early. Because I've seen this magnificent set I'm not going to purchase the Hogwart's castle (which has only just become available to Aus buyers to order or purchase in the last couple days unlike some European and North American markets).

This wasn't leaked early. It's the official release. And(assuming $ is why), but you know this comes out in 3 months. You could get the castle too. Which, if you're a big HP fan iwouldrecommend. Not only does it have good figs, but is great overall.

We've seen those many-a-times before in the Atlantis prelims. :tongue:

O RLY? Need to get with the times!

I know I'll be in the minority for saying this but: Wow, this is a tremendously disappointing set. It may have a high parts count, but that's mostly because of the high number of small parts used on Borgan & Burke's as well as Ollivander's. The sizes of these buildings are a bit sad for US $150, especially when all the detail is on the outside. Ollivander's is the only shop with a decent interior. The others are just amazing edifices with minimal effort put into the interiors. If this were the same price as the castle, I'd say it's reasonable, but for $20 more...

The figure choice is also a bit odd. Is this set supposed to be based on multiple books/movies simultaneously? The Weasley twins are finally available as minifigures, but their store is absent. Hagrid's there, but he was only seen in Diagon Alley in scenes from the earlier books/movies. The same situation is true for Ollivander: based on most of the other figures, this set fits in more with Half Blood Prince, but Ollivander's shop was already destroyed by then and its owner missing..

You refer to to amazing edifices and that they are, one of the reasons most are very excited about this set. Sure, Borgin & Burkes could do with a counter, shelves, a couple of armchairs, etc. but you can always add extra detail yourself to a level you're satisfied with. 'tis the wonder of LEGO!

I think the minifig choice is a good one, covering bases with Harry and co. but throwing in the likes of Ollivander, Fred and George. The set seems to sit just as a general Diagon Alley set-piece rather than be related to any particular film.

I like to think that they'll add to this set in due course with such locations as the Leaky Cauldron and Weasleys's Wizard Wheezes. :laugh:

Nicolas Groose (or how he spells it) is now my favorite desigener.

MMV is such a lovely set... this set definately has the same sparkle!

Hi everyone

This is one superb set. Although I like HP, I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but seeing this today at the Lego Show at Steam you really appreciate the majestic impact of it - I took a shot of it incase it helps anyone.

I must say I might dip my toe in now on the HP line with absolute 'triple A' quality sets now like this, outstanding... I just couldn't take my eyes off it, the detail is amazing:

Edited by jamzee

They surprised us again! Amazing set, though with a bit of lack of exclusive parts or minifigs. Not saying it is bad, but there could have been a bit more. It's ok though, since the price per piece ratio is a gift and "Exclusives" were never that famous for their new parts or minifigs, but for their design. I found it funny that they chose the MMV designer for this, since I guess most of us had the same thought when seeing this (a HP MMV!). The only concern for all the people with limited space is: this or Hogwarts?

Anyone else wishing for a Luna minifig? I do love how this set and some of the newest HP sets look. Their designs seem even better this time around. So tough this upcoming season with all these great sets coming out, just not enough money...

Not really keen on reading through all the posts here... but has anyone noticed that Hermione is wearing Ginny's hoodie from The Burrow? I mean, I know they're friends, and Ginny would probably let Hermione wear her hoodie if she was cold or something (or who knows, perhaps they own a pair of identical hoodies), but I still wonder why LEGO couldn't make a new print. But it's not a problem, just something that made me giggle.

I really like this set, and hope to get it, but who knows if I'll ever have the budget? I was hoping for Hogwarts Castle for Christmas, and that's a big investment in itself. And it has many of the figs I consider "essentials" from the new line. But I guess I can get Diagon Alley and save myself the money I would have spent on smaller sets to get Ron and Hagrid figs. Not to say I can't try and get the smaller sets as well!

Bit disappointed that there aren't any cats in the set, despite them being on the "magical animals" price chart. But it's no big deal.

EDIT: And tiggerkiddo, there's a Luna fig in the new Hogwarts Express set.

Edited by Aanchir

I wish this set would've been out when I was collecting the old Harry Potter line; it's amazing!

For the amount of detail in the set, I'd say the price is pretty reasonable.

Wow, happy to see the rumors were true and thay ARE bringing out a Diagon Alley set.

Still, it's kind of a strange choice to make a Diagon Alley set and include a Knockturn alley shop.

I wish they would've kept Knockturn Alley as a seperate future set so this Diagon Alley set could've had another store from... well, Diagon Alley.

Now we only get ONE actual Diagon Alley store.

Oh well. Can't win 'em all... :)