GRogall

New Lego Exclusive 10217 Harry Potter Diagon Alley

I opened this link and I

No seriously, this set looks amazing. A little pricey for me but still you seem to get what you pay for here... really just incredible detail. I might pick this up regardless of the price.

Pretty much, yeah. :laugh:

The value of this set is amazing. $150 for 2025 pieces is astounding. A definite must-buy.

I'm not sure if Ollivander's or Gringotts is my favorite. Ollivander's seems the most accurate- I can almost see the chipped black paint. :wub:

Gringotts sure looks nice on the outside, but it sure is bare on the inside... whereas Ollivander's is super-cluttered.

I wish it was arranged in more of an alley shape, though. Gringotts and Ollivander's work well together, but Borgin & Burke's just doesn't fit in at all. It's on a completely different alley... oh well. Still looks nice, though.

All we need now is the rearranging brick wall. :grin:

The most expensive set I've paid full price for was the Grand Emporium. This one is going to be the next. :classic:

I love this set. 2 years ago, if you told me we were going to get this set, I would have called you crazy. I was happy enough we got the 6 sets that we did, but this is the icing on the cake. It is quite likely that it is the last HP we see (even though the S@H preorders indicate that they will sell like crazy)and I think it is a great way to go out.

The set is great, but I would have liked to see more detail in Borgin and Burkes and Gringotts. The safe in Gringotts has to be the worst part of the set- it's mix of colors is reminiscent of the original HP sets and not a 2011 Exclusive.

The new 3 all-new figures (Ollivander, Fred and George) are just great, but the others seem a bit lazy. The Goblins just reuse Flitwick's torso and I would have liked to see printed heads, like on Dobby. A new casual torso for Hermione would have been nice as well. Ron seems especially gingery (:laugh:) with the completely red/brown outfit, so I might switch out the pants. While it's nice to see Malfoy, Greyback and Hagrid again, for some reason they feel like afterthoughts, even though they make perfect sense being in the set.

I am really happy Lego gave us Fred and George! :classic:

-Derek

Oddly, I'm not that excited about this set. :sceptic: IMO, it looks like a village or neighborhood(I forgot the name, but the Spongebob set also) more than an alley. Gringotts looks weird with a white interior, and the safe is right out in the open. Ollivander's is very detailed, but doesn't look like the movie that well. B&B is the evil opposite of Winter Toy Shop(even the shape is mirrored) :tongue: .

The above reasons actually have no effect at all on me wanting to get it. :grin:

It does seem as though Lego did not go too far in designing the figures. I mean,the goblins, and F and G look pretty good, and Ollivander isn't bad, but the other figures are all duplicates. Almost all of the HP sets released today had a majority of their figures as exclusive. I think that this is exemplified by Hermione having to steal Ginny's clothes. However the buildings give this set a perfect 5 out of 5 already in my opinion!

That is human nonsense. You must read the stars in order to determine the future.

Or you could just take a bottle of Felix Felicis :grin:

Sirius

Very true! I'll wait for tonight and consult the stars. Also, curious as to why we have goblins for Gringotts, Ollivander for Ollivanders, but no Borgin for Borgin & Burkes? Instead of Hagrid or Greyback, although both played a fairly important role when it came to Diagon Alley. Yet, so did Borgin. Who knows.

I know I'll be in the minority for saying this but: Wow, this is a tremendously disappointing set. It may have a high parts count, but that's mostly because of the high number of small parts used on Borgan & Burke's as well as Ollivander's. The sizes of these buildings are a bit sad for US $150, especially when all the detail is on the outside. Ollivander's is the only shop with a decent interior. The others are just amazing edifices with minimal effort put into the interiors. If this were the same price as the castle, I'd say it's reasonable, but for $20 more...

The figure choice is also a bit odd. Is this set supposed to be based on multiple books/movies simultaneously? The Weasley twins are finally available as minifigures, but their store is absent. Hagrid's there, but he was only seen in Diagon Alley in scenes from the earlier books/movies. The same situation is true for Ollivander: based on most of the other figures, this set fits in more with Half Blood Prince, but Ollivander's shop was already destroyed by then and its owner missing.

No offense, but if I had the money, I would likely pick almost any other Lego exclusive for $150 than this.

*oh2*

Okay YES.

I had a feeling that the set Svelte was talking about was a Diagon Alley set(This IS the one he was talking about, right?)

But I really hope those Goblins get printed eyes in the final versions, they look creepy at this point. . . . . . . .

-ES

Oddly, I'm not that excited about this set. :sceptic: IMO, it looks like a village or neighborhood(I forgot the name, but the Spongebob set also) more than an alley. Gringotts looks weird with a white interior, and the safe is right out in the open. Ollivander's is very detailed, but doesn't look like the movie that well. B&B is the evil opposite of Winter Toy Shop(even the shape is mirrored) :tongue: .

The above reasons actually have no effect at all on me wanting to get it. :grin:

Gringotts is white ..... it looks pretty (LEGO-ified)spot on (IMO)

gringotts.jpg

*oh2*

Okay YES.

I had a feeling that the set Svelte was talking about was a Diagon Alley set(This IS the one he was talking about, right?)

But I really hope those Goblins get printed eyes in the final versions, they look creepy at this point. . . . . . . .

-ES

Why are so many people saying things like, I hope they're preliminary...or hope they're this or that. Seeing as it's already on S@H, I'm sure what you see is what you get.

Since I saw the first shots yesterday :grin: instant :wub: - I consider this a tad better than Town Plan or even dare I say MV......this looks like the work of JB with all the exterior detailing does it ?

So it's S@H eh ?, well since one doesn't have a credit card anymore (brought too much Lego on it :blush: ) hopefully it will be picked up by either Myer, Target, Toyworld or David Jones.

It appears to have even more printed parts, but still we'll get a DSS though, but hey for the bank......hey I take it ! :grin:

At the top of my 2011 shopping list this set is for sure ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! everyone !

Fantastic set...

definitely a must buy set..

Hmmmm... maybe we will looking another 10xxx harry potter sets ?

This truley is an amazing set!

To bad that it can´t be bought as a Christmas present. How did TLG think there?? :wacko:

Move the date forward with two weeks, and people will knock S@H out of their socks!!

<decloaks>

This is very nice. Definitely will be purchased at our house. I don't understand why they wouldn't release it for Xmas, unless they are afraid it will eat into their other sales.

Odd that TLG totally gave up on the HP sets for a couple of years, and then comes back so big. I guess they are expecting the Deathly Hallows to be huge.

When you reach a certain critical mass of LEGO at your house, there is relatively little incentive to buy more, but giant and well constructed sets like this are exempt.

<recloaks>

Whew, January release, good, otherwise my daughter would want it for Xmas. :hmpf:

Edited by iminifig

I've no interest in Harry potter in general but this looks like a superb set regardless of its theme. To me this set has a reasonable parts/price ratio especially for a licensed theme and I'm sure I'll pick up a copy at some point, and although it will be built and displayed as LEGO envisioned for a while, I'm sure it wont be long before its raided fort parts.

I missed out on earlier HP LEGO lines so will definitely get a few of the new range for the parts and ideas.

And for those of you in the UK, I believe this set will be on display at the Great Western LEGO show in Swindon this weekend !

Dr. D.

I really hope I can make it to Swindon over the weekend. Would be great to see this in the flesh.

Ben

Ordering it from LEGO as soon as it is available!!!!!

Will go great with the new sets!!!!

Also it is great the Fred and George do not have the same heads!

Wish Narcissa and Draco were in place of Lucius and Fenrir.

And I really hope Hermione gets a different torso print!!

Those pillars...... :oh: betternot be stickers! :angry:

If you are referring to the white pillars outside Gringotts bank, the are not stickers. What a silly suggestion. :wacko:

They are called 2 x 2 Round Profile Bricks. Watch the video on S@H.

I am just stunned by this set, it's so massive, yet reasonably priced.

I need this set.

This really is quite an impressive set. It's interesting that Diagon Alley was designed by the same designer behind the MMV. That alone says this set is worth a purchase.