Peppermint_M

Which Comic Do You Read?

I'm more of a funnies person. I read them each morning over a bowl of cereal. My favorite is Calvin and Hobbes, but unfortunately, my paper doesn't run it. :sceptic:

As for webcomics, I only read one so far- xkcd.

Yes! Another Calvin and hobbes fan. Calvin is sadly out of production and it is on some website that has a rerun every day. As for that who calls them funnies anymore? :smirk: Anyway I like reading zits and Garfield. As for webcomics and such I only read the Brick house by chris doyle.

I quite enjoy Cynadie of Happiness from time to time.

As to comics, I've been reading Marvel Zombies and Marvel Apes lately (they're... ok). Been avoiding most of Marvel's main stuff because they're jumping from one big event to another. Saw some pictures of X-Men: Necrosha, might look into that. Seem similiar to DC Comics Green Lantern: Blackes Night. Might get into that, it definately looks awesome!

Just red the Kick-A55* TPB, a really nice comic. But even if it tries not te be another super hero comic, it still is an other super hero comic. Roughly it has the same buildup as the better super hero comics, same pace etc. The only difference is the realism and violence. The drawing is really good and te characters are very cool aswell.

At the back there's a pic of how the characters will look in the movie and it's a litle diasapointing. They look a litle cliché, they changed exactly what they should not change. Ans after watching the trailer I can't imagine the movie being cllose to the comic, unles it will be +16, which I doubt.

Furthermore I read The walking Dead, BPRD, old Spiderman's and lots of Belgian and Frensh comics (strips, our version of comics) most people wouldn't know.

*(the two 55 are two ss. Sorry about that, but when it's really on topic is a litle weird when it says Kick-megablocks. I hope I can get away with this)

Edited by Bobskink

(strips, our version of comics) most people wouldn't know.

Do Suske & Wiske, Kuifje and Lucky Luke ring a bell? I used to call comic books strips, it confused me and others!

Have you heard about the Ultimate universe from Marvel comics? They took the old universe and modernized it, changed things. One of those things being that the heroes actually kill. Captain America uses his shield to decapitate people, the Hulk eats his enemies and so forth. I'd recommend checking it out, start with the old ones since nowadays the Ultimate universe is pretty much dead and not that popular.

I read [and collect] 60s Batman comics, but I also like to read 60s superman and fantastic four. As far as comic strips I read Calvin and Hobbes, Garfield, Herman, Far Side, and Get Fuzzy. I also enjoy Star Wars: KOTOR, Star Wars: CW, and Star Wars: Empire.

I almost don't read any issues anymore, just collections if any. But my preference is for books rather than 30-page booklets.

I mentioned I'd bought it before, but I just started reading it yesterday, A Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi. A roughly 900-page autobiography by one of Japan's early manga masters. The first 150 pages show the artist growing up in post-war Japan, getting published while in high school, and meeting regularly with his idol, Osamu Tezuka (creator of Astro Boy, among many other things). Not a slow read, since it's manga paced, but very deep and personal. Recommended to anyone who loves comics (reading, drawing, dreaming), but gets tired of the same muscly-man/pin-up girl computer colored books that dominate in the West. It's also an interesting taste of life in Japan in the post-war era. I'll be finishing this book quickly, but if it was just the parts I've read so far, it would still get a 5/5 rating from me.

DriftingLife.jpg

As a comics fan, I get really sad that comics=superheroes and talking animals to most people.

I am eagerly awaiting the TPB or Classy Hardbound of Grant Morrison's Joe the Barbarian miniseries and the Secret Origin of the Legion of Super Heroes. Those two look quite readable. Otherwise its keeping on the lookout for Pluto and counting days until the next chapter of Fullmetal Alchemist.

On the webcomic front, the series i read ebb and flow as my interest rises and lowers. It's the transient nature of the 'net.

Sad to say guys, but for now I've given up on DC and Marvel comics, atleast for a while and current ones. I'll always enjoy and reread my collection, but everytime I read anything from the last several years I just get so damn angry. The rampant sexism is a major issue, as is the way that the only main characters are almost entirely white upper class Americans, retcons, never ending crisis's, plot holes I could drive the Batmobile through, everything returning to what it once was rather than progressing, every flipping death being undone making it all seem so cheap, no villain ever being redeemed or going through change because the writer's are so desperate to use them again and again, and every freakin' marriage, dating or baby is somehow killed off, done away with or completely forgotten.

I just can't take stories like that anymore, which is why for atleast a large chunk of time I'll be reading really progressive stuff that has an ending and themes like Monster.

Batbrick Crying Away! :cry_sad:

...never ending crisis's, plot holes I could drive the Batmobile through, everything returning to what it once was rather than progressing, every flipping death being undone making it all seem so cheap, no villain ever being redeemed or going through change because the writer's are so desperate to use them again and again...

The same reason I don't read any Marvel or DC anymore. At the end of a comic, nothing actualy happened. But I always wonder what the kids think about these comics, they must really suck trough there eyes.

When I do want marvel or DC, I read Spiderman Essential or everthing from Tim Sale and Jehp Loeb.

Irecently started reading Usagi Yojimbo, Frensh translation in manga format, normaly I'm against translations, unless it's Japanese, but Usagi works good as a Manga and I can imagine the writer intented the comics like that.

Sad to say guys, but for now I've given up on DC and Marvel comics, atleast for a while and current ones. I'll always enjoy and reread my collection, but everytime I read anything from the last several years I just get so damn angry. The rampant sexism is a major issue, as is the way that the only main characters are almost entirely white upper class Americans, retcons, never ending crisis's, plot holes I could drive the Batmobile through, everything returning to what it once was rather than progressing, every flipping death being undone making it all seem so cheap, no villain ever being redeemed or going through change because the writer's are so desperate to use them again and again, and every freakin' marriage, dating or baby is somehow killed off, done away with or completely forgotten.

I just can't take stories like that anymore, which is why for atleast a large chunk of time I'll be reading really progressive stuff that has an ending and themes like Monster.

Batbrick Crying Away! :cry_sad:

This is why I read Elseworlds stories, nothing to worry about, no past no canon, just Batman in Revolutionary France, or Superman in Civil War America. :thumbup: Then there are the miniseries, fun to read and they have a beginning and end. :tongue:

I read lots and lots of spider-man, and some batman on the side, but mostly just spider-man. Hes really cool and I like all thevillans he faces, there very unique and origonal, and I grew up with the web-slinger.

I read the Walking Dead compendium last week. The first 48 issues.

51a7beg6M2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's a zombie story, but an extended take. The original artist wasn't suited to horror, but the majority of the issues looked solid. Ultimately, I liked it, and want to continue reading the story, but wasn't blown away by it. It is very much along the line of a good HBO show; gritty and nuanced. I think the characters remained a bit flat overall though.

I also reread All-Star Superman, as I was in the mood for a good Grant Morrison fix. I loved it the first time around, and liked it less the second time around, but the art by Frank Quitely is still some of the most elegant stuff I've ever seen.

Manga: Ones in Shonen Jump (Naruto, Bleach, Ultimo, One Piece), Bobobo, Dragon Ball and Dragonball Z, Rorouni Kenshin, a few others

Cartoons: Pearls before Swine

Sad to say guys, but for now I've given up on DC and Marvel comics, at least for a while and current ones.

Sorry to hear that, Batbrick. :sad: I hope you find something to fill the void. But in the end, you have to realize that Marvel & DC are just companies too who want to make money, and the safest way for them to do so is to provide the readers with the same stuff they've been putting out for decades. If they were to fundamentally change anything about their characters, such as have a villain turn good all of a sudden, they could loose a whole fan base. But yeah, all those undone deaths etc. are pretty ridiculous. :sadnew:

So... Does that mean that you'll have more time to honor us with more of your excellent MOCs, or maybe even that new interactive story you've been talking about? :sweet:

I used to read the LEGO Starwars Comics, but they stopped making them :cry_sad: .

Do you mean these? They didn't stop making them, they simply switched to a different format and take their sweet time uploading new ones. :wink:

Or do you mean the Lego Club magazine ones? I think they still make those too, but I'm not sure.

Do you mean these? They didn't stop making them, they simply switched to a different format and take their sweet time uploading new ones. :wink:

Yes, those ones. Thanks.

Edited by The Legonater

I'm an avid golden and silver age comics, bédé, historietas, fumetti & classic manga reader.

Comics: I'm not a huge fan of modern comics, although graphic novels catch my interest. I'm instead a big fan of Early, Golden and Silver Ages comics, IMO pure poetry:from Little Nemo to Krazy Kat, then Dick Tracy, Raymond's, 1930s and 1940s Gottfredson's Mickey Mouse, Segar's and so on. Not very interested to old 1940s and 1950s superheroes comics (maybe with only Batman exception), I like Silver Age cbs, from F4 till the Punisher (obviously only Marvel ones :thumbup: ). And I'm a huge Carl Barks' fan :wub: .

Bédé: of the French and Belgian school, I adore Blueberry's saga (not too much last albums :sceptic: ), and I like a lot of classic bédé series. Now I'm insterested in Jodorowsky's stuff and in some Van Hamme's.

Historietas: about Spanish language comics, I consider Oesterheld & Breccia's El Eternauta a Supreme Masterpiece that has to be placed among schoolbooks together with Spiegelman's Maus. Shame on those who never did read it. I like works of a lot of Spanish, Southamerican and historietas-related authors (Castillo, Ortiz, Segura, Salinas, Font, Wood and Quino and Ibañez, of course, and so on...).

Manga: I only read classic manga authors (Tezuka, Go Nagai...), with some exception (Taniguchi, Urasawa...).

Fumetti: to the next episode (too long now) :laugh: !

I read almost all of the star wars comics, BIONICLE, XKCD, and space the comic. I'm also thinking about getting some of the star trek comics, and some of the ones based on the alien movies.

I read Tranquility Base (Great story lines) and Nerds In Space (Of which I have been a guest.) (Episode 112, if you're interested.)

I'm a sucker for franco-belgian classics: Tintin, Asterix, Spirou. I don't really like manga nor most american comics (X-man, Superman, Spiderman, all those guys), but I love Calvin&Hobbes. I also have a big Disney collection, mostly from 80s-90s. The oldest I have dates from 1978, brazilian edition. I remember owning several Star Wars comics, but nowadays they are gone, unfortunately :cry_sad:

I also have a big Disney collection, mostly from 80s-90s. The oldest I have dates from 1978, brazilian edition.

Tsk, you amateur.

dsc02465i.jpg

November 3, 1963.

Topolino means Mickey Mouse in Italian.

Some ads into the digest sized comic book:

dsc02466l.jpg

EDIL Plastik, early italian LEGO clone. Square studs.

dsc02467t.jpg

SCALEXTRIC!

dsc02468t.jpg

BILOfix, then TLG wooden rib

dsc02470k.jpg

And last, but not least, one of the most popular European competitors ever: Italocremona PLASTIC CITY in its early days.

What do ya think :tongue: ?

Edited by Plastic Nurak