Klaus-Dieter

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 3 discussion

Well, I read incredible balance within enthusiastic and disappointed comments.

My thoughts:

Hawaii Girl: I just like the skirt, torso is similar to Islanders and why should she carry maracas? 6

Chief: In every serie there is some which TLC has already done in the past. I hope the spear isn't final. 5

Samurai: As for the Ninja in serie 1, I already own some of this stuff. Nice head print, though. 5.5

Adventure Pilot: Unlike the others, it seems classical backpack to me. Really dislike this minifig. 4.5

Fisherman: It really surprised me! Nice beard! Really a good one, even if don't like the whole fishing stuff. 8

Cyborg: I don't like the choice to have it in the same series as the alien. I don't see it very well in the picture, but the cyborg idea doesn't appeal me that much. 5.5

Snowboader: I am not that much into female minifigs or sports minifigs, btw this one looks very detailed. 5.5

Driver: I have tons of these. At least, decent hairpiece. 5

Rapper: Very good character, funny Kanie West glasses, 6.5

Elf: My absolute favourite character, possibly the best amongst the whole 3 series. 10

Sumo Guy: I can't believe he has no details. Nausi says he has, so let's believe him. BTW not very good after the karateka. 5

Alien: I agree with those who didn't appreciate the choice to recycle Squidtron's head, it is really cheap. 5

Mummy: Very very fine, I hope that the brown scorpion will help me to identify this minifig as I want tons of this. 9

Tennis Player: Same as the snowboarder, but possibly less interesting. 5

Baseball Player: I love that bat. And the minifig looks good. Too bad TLC is focusing around sports... 6

Gorilla: I expected a printed face instead of this head mold. By the way, if there's an head under the mask it's a 7 for me, otherwise just a 6

When it came to series 2, there were 6 minifigures I couldn't wait for. This time, just 4... unless they make a different head for the alien... but the Elf is so great and I can't wait to see if the ears are part of the hairpiece or not.

Interesting to see for sure! But I must say I'm not that impressed - I wish they were a bit more novell. The only one that a bit eye catching is the gorilla. And the elf's ears, but those must be part of the wig, right. I can't be a remolded minifig head?

I don't see why everyone seems to be assuming that there can't be a new head piece for the elf. It looks very much like there is one in the pics, and since LEGO did a perfectly-headgear-compatible minifig variation with printing in the form of Brick Daddy from Space Police III, there's absolutely no reason they wouldn't do the same for an elf.

To complainers, note also that these figures-- all of them-- are preliminary. Don't like the boringness of the sumo wrestler? Well, that's fine, because it certainly won't stay that way. Don't like the elf's hair and ears? It's a good chance that they're prototypes and the actual parts aren't finalized. Really, this is the reason LEGO hates confidential prelim pics getting out-- because it lessens the impact when the figs actually get revealed, and in the meantime replaces all that positive hype with unfounded fan backlash.

I myself am impressed by the figs. As with the past series, I see no real reason to "collect them all", but just as with the previous series none of the figs are worthless-- they're all new, unique, and groundbreaking in their own right.

The baseball player, the fisherman, and the tennis player are some of my favorites and the ones I'm most likely to seek out (the main theme I build in other than sci-fi and action themes is town, but always focused on the real people and places I encounter), but I love the hula girl's grass skirt, as well as that ever-so-useful hairpiece in the ever-so-useful color of black. The elf looks beautifully managed, with a look of determination and ornate detail on his stag-patterned shield.

I like building Blacktron III stuff (mainly on LDD DesignByMe mode so far, because I come up with better designs when my parts variety is limited), though I am a bit quizzical about the cyborg as he seems to be styled after Blacktron I and not Blacktron II like Rench. I have a similar respect for both iterations, but it would be nice if "modern" Blacktron-callback figs stuck with one consistent style. Either way, it's a nice sign that LEGO's collectible figs, while not being tied to any one theme, may continue to feature callbacks to already-present themes and serve as a "jumping point" for future fan-themes. All of the face prints are nice as far as can be seen, and I can't wait to see the final versions of all of these figs.

The folder got deleted... :cry_sad:

Sort of knew that was going to happen!

But I saved the large ones----- :tongue:

Also elves are graceful looking. This guy here looks like he is about to take a dump.

1) That's only if you submit to the idea that all elves are Tolkien-esque elves.

2) Even graceful beings need to do an intestinal evac.

I couldn't disagree more than that, and take it from a 15 years experienced D&D player. Elves do not carry NOTICEABLE ears, apart from japanese reinterpretation. And not all elves are graceful, if you take it from LOTR, which is everyone's source for elves, Noldor are not rough, but nor that graceful indeed!

Link

Modern fantasy literature has revived the elves as a race of semi-divine beings of human stature who are friendly with animals. Fantasy elves are different from Norse elves, but are more akin to that older mythology than to folktale elves – they are unlikely to sneak in at night and help a cobbler mend his shoes. Fantasy elves differ in many ways from the traditional elves found in northern European folklore and Victorian era literature; although in particular, the álfar of Norse mythology has influenced the concept of elves in fantasy.

A hallmark of fantasy elves is also their long and pointed ears (a convention begun with a note of Tolkien's that the ears of elves were "leaf-shaped"). The length and shape of these ears varies depending on the artist or medium in question. Post-Tolkien fantasy elves (popularized by the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game) tend to be more beautiful and wiser than humans, with sharper senses and perceptions. Often elves do not possess facial or body hair, and are consequently perceived to be androgynous.

Half-elves and divergent races of elves, such as high elves and dark elves, were also popularized at this time; in particular, the evil drow of Dungeons & Dragons have inspired the dark elves of many other works of fantasy.

And since Lego is not basing this figure off of actual elves from mythology and moreso on the fan interpretation, I can say they did a poor job.

I was really really surprised by your comment.

I'm really really surprised by the fact you spent 15 years of your life playing D&D.

-Omi

I'm really really surprised by the fact you spent 15 years of your life playing D&D.

-Omi

Sounds like someone it butthurt about their perception of elves. Dude, you've got a Final Fantasy sig and you're on a lego forum....arguing about elves. Try not to think you're some cool guy because you don't play D&D

Sounds like someone it butthurt about their perception of elves. Dude, you've got a Final Fantasy sig and you're on a lego forum....arguing about elves. Try not to think you're some cool guy because you don't play D&D

No I'm not hurt, but if your gonna say that you get your elf credentials by playing a game that contradicts what you say, then I make my point. And never said I was a cool guy. :)

Also thanks for looking at my sig. :D

-Omi

Dude, you've got a Final Fantasy sig and you're on a lego forum....arguing about elves. Try not to think you're some cool guy because you don't play D&D

That has to be the most hilarious insult I've ever heard! :laugh: I'm pretty sure the ears are connected to the headgear not the head so if you want you could probably just change the head.

I thought that the whole reason that we have to wait for folders to become public on Brickshelf was because somebody has to individually check each one to make sure that it's "safe" to have on the site? so why would they let is stay for almost a day then remove it?

Actually, I suppose Lego has asked them to remove it, come to think of it. I know they've done so in the past.

Right. Sort of answered my own question there.

My favourites are the Cyborg and the Alien. I also quite like the Samurai, too.

Personally I find most of the figures in each wave pretty boring, save for a few.

Will/Rocketbilly

Alright, ignore all of this. I typed this and for some reason just left it. The conversation has moved on and my post is no longer relevant :laugh:

Edited by Rocketbilly

No I'm not hurt, but if your gonna say that you get your elf credentials by playing a game that contradicts what you say, then I make my point. And never said I was a cool guy. :)

Also thanks for looking at my sig. :D

-Omi

I don't play D&D but aren't players in charge of their character's appearance and traits? If most players are use to the Tolkien image of elves then wouldn't they base their characters on such and thus proliferate the Tolkien-esque elf image? Is there a rule in D&D preventing a player from making a mildly retarded 300 lbs elf with a hairy chest and a drooling problem? D&D, to my understanding, is a game ruled by imagination, much like lego. Don't get on Lego's case for making an elf that isn't a direct rip-off from something out of LOTR book. Embrace diversity and abandon your master-elf race agenda you fantasy racist! :tongue:

I don't play D&D but aren't players in charge of their character's appearance and traits?

While I am no D&D expert, I am pretty sure the games have had conceptual artwork to go along with the games in their books and stuffs.

But still, I am disappointed with the elf, and I have every right to be. :)

-Omi

While I am no D&D expert, I am pretty sure the games have had conceptual artwork to go along with the games in their books and stuffs.

But still, I am disappointed with the elf, and I have every right to be. :)

-Omi

I'm not a fan of elves so that is probably why I am not too bothered by his appearance. Honestly I think he's one of the better figs in the line-up. I wanna see someone army build that fig and make a B.A. knight vs elf battle diorama.

I'm super excited for the Mini fig series 2 to come in the mail! I bet series 3,4, and hopefully continued, will have unique pieces/characters and maybe a cowboy! Anyway, I think TLG is doing a great job with the new mini fig series.

There was already a cowboy in Series 1.

Well, despite our best efforts some of us failed to obtain one. And if there can be another Native American in set 3, why can't we see another cowboy? :tongue:

Guys... here is one I saved.

I removed it before TLG took action.I still have it saved on my computer though.

I did a little editing and combined the two pictures.

Edited by JCC1004

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love how this argument is actually happening. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love how this argument is actually happening. :laugh:

:laugh: Me too!

I don't see why you guys don't like the elf. It's the best figure there. He has a cool shield, bow, nice cape, great printing, slick hair, and a useful head.

(HELP ME! I'm running out of adjectives!) :grin:

I think he looks like Legolas, which is perfectly fine in my eyes.

dac7bad843a9f1f29e7cae5ead3374f8cfe0c855_m.jpg

:laugh:

Edited by prateek

I don't see why you guys don't like the elf. It's the best figure there. He has a cool shield, bow, nice cape, great printing, slick hair, and a useful head.

(HELP ME! I'm running out of adjectives!) :grin:

Yeah... I'm becoming less enamored with these collectibles; I'm happy to have complete sets of the first two, but it was such a pain and now I've got 32 new minifigs, only a handful of which inspire me to build little vignettes.

So... sadly, for the first truly blind series, there's going to be maybe 5 that I really want, and for the first time there's one that I want as many of as I can get (well... that's not true... maybe 10)... the elf.

I think the elf looks awesome. I'm so sad TLG didn't continue fantasy for one more year to have elves before moving on to Kingdoms. I can think of several cool elf sets they could have done that would have fit great with the theme (without stepping on any legal toes).

Series 3 is looking gorgeous, it seems like as usual the first is the idea, the second the polish and the third will be the definite template. Only thing I do not like about it right now is that as if we didn't need more nails in the SP3 (and also Space themes in 2011) coffin the Space guy and the Alien pretty much confirm all our fears...