Sign in to follow this  
RoryoCox

What do you want to see?

This topic is for all you devoted War and Mafia game players to give you opinion on what you want to see in future games. Hosts are always wanting new things to add to their game and I know that players want new and exciting features.

I would like you to tell hosts and future hosts what you would like to see in a future mafia game. Maybe you want a new way of voting, maybe you want more of the story to be in pictures or maybe you would like hosts to simply enforce the rules more.

Anything that you want can be posted here and maybe, just maybe you will see your idea in a future mafia game. I know personally that this will help future game hosts to help innovate their game to make it unique and different.

So go on, have your say on what you want

Whilst I'm sure discussion like this belongs in the general Thread, I will give my two cents.

I'd like to see a game in which the Important night actions don't just go to Fellows and above, Zepher and TinyPies. They've shown they can use them in the past, yes, but they were new to them once, like everyone else participating in the games.

Also, Fellows and above (generally with Quarryman as the 'Oh look I'm not exclusive' exception) almost always get in. There aren't 42 places in Zephers game, there's 30, as all they have to do is cough and there in. I know allowing your joe-blogs average Count/Knight/Citizen in won't give you a shinny new title, but we're still members too.

Whilst I'm sure discussion like this belongs in the general Thread, I will give my two cents.

I'd like to see a game in which the Important night actions don't just go to Fellows and above, Zepher and TinyPies. They've shown they can use them in the past, yes, but they were new to them once, like everyone else participating in the games.

Also, Fellows and above (generally with Quarryman as the 'Oh look I'm not exclusive' exception) almost always get in. There aren't 42 places in Zephers game, there's 30, as all they have to do is cough and there in. I know allowing your joe-blogs average Count/Knight/Citizen in won't give you a shinny new title, but we're still members too.

I did ask Dragonator for permission first.

The points you make a very good. I have read myself that other member thinks that 'higher ranked' members get a better chance at a game. Possibly getting better roles or night actions.

Good points, I think this will help other hosts try to get the right balance in the future.

I did ask Dragonator for permission first.

The points you make a very good. I have read myself that other member thinks that 'higher ranked' members get a better chance at a game. Possibly getting better roles or night actions.

Good points, I think this will help other hosts try to get the right balance in the future.

I personally feel that a host should get the names of thirty-one players who've submitted their names (if the amount is twenty-one), and randomly pick twenty-one names from a hat, the rest going on reserves. Much more fair. The same random selecting would be used in roles and night actions.

I disagree, personally. I was an 'investigator' of sorts in Hogwarts Mafia, only my 2nd game, and I'm a Knight. I loved the fact that Sandy decided who got what character randomly. It made the game a lot more fair, even if the experienced players got to be the scums.

I do agree with the 'getting in the game' problem though. Hosts don't want to deal a bunch of mafia newbies, so they take all the oldies.

I disagree, personally. I was an 'investigator' of sorts in Hogwarts Mafia, only my 2nd game, and I'm a Knight. I loved the fact that Sandy decided who got what character randomly. It made the game a lot more fair, even if the experienced players got to be the scums.

I do agree with the 'getting in the game' problem though. Hosts don't want to deal a bunch of mafia newbies, so they take all the oldies.

Yes, but in Sandy's game everyone got a night action, which I think greatly helped to get rid of the 'class structure' that is very influential in these forums, even if it was only for one game.

Yes, but in Sandy's game everyone got a night action, which I think greatly helped to get rid of the 'class structure' that is very influential in these forums, even if it was only for one game.

That's how I'd like the rest of the games to run. Everybody gets at least one night action. Doesn't feel good to not be able to do anything in the night.

I kind of agree, but as they are hosts of the game, they get final say. Lets see, other things I want to see...

- More pictures! Sandy's game was perfect, it had just enough pictures to make it really interesting but not too much to get confusing, so I give her a :thumbup:

- Red Scare game, Based in the 1920's or 1950's, where the scum are communists, and you know the rest :laugh:

- Everyone gets night actions. I know it is a lot more complicated for the hosts, but it makes the game so much more exciting!

Well, theres my 2 cents!

I personally feel that a host should get the names of thirty-one players who've submitted their names (if the amount is twenty-one), and randomly pick twenty-one names from a hat, the rest going on reserves. Much more fair. The same random selecting would be used in roles and night actions.

I don't personally think it would be fair that someone saying "meh, I guess I'll sign in" gets chosen over someone who's like "I've followed three of these games and can't wait to play in one as well!", just because of a randomized selection.

The role selection is also far from being simple as you say, flitwick. The host of course needs to be fair towards all players, but they also need to take into consideration the level of dedication the players have - with the veterans, you can more or less trust they will see the game through, whereas with newcomers you just never know.

A game filled with only new players wouldn't work, and having only experienced players would not be fair towards all those eager to play as well, so the only option is to find a balance between new and old players.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see the day when a host tries to deny Shadows entrance to their Mafia-game. Wouldn't that be a sight to behold, eh? :laugh:

I don't personally think it would be fair that someone saying "meh, I guess I'll sign in" gets chosen over someone who's like "I've followed three of these games and can't wait to play in one as well!", just because of a randomized selection.

Your right, I should've added that the host would be able to deselect people if they felt they weren't into mafia games.

The role selection is also far from being simple as you say, flitwick. The host of course needs to be fair towards all players, but they also need to take into consideration the level of dedication the players have - with the veterans, you can more or less trust they will see the game through, whereas with newcomers you just never know.

Ture, but what you must remember is that we were all new to this once. Lord Arjay, for instance, really shined in Hogwarts Mafia, and that was his first game here, as opposed to Dragonator and YG-49 (?) who remained inactive throughout most of the game. I know that Dragonator was away, but would you of allowed me to join in the game, despite knowing I might not be active for the first several in game days, missing crucial parts of the experience.

A game filled with only new players wouldn't work, and having only experienced players would not be fair towards all those eager to play as well, so the only option is to find a balance between new and old players.

I'm not saying that Fellows and above should be penalised from playing games just because of there position in the boards, but neither should they be revered so much that they are beyond the point of being denied entry.

Nevertheless, I'd like to see the day when a host tries to deny Shadows entrance to their Mafia-game. Wouldn't that be a sight to behold, eh? :laugh:

I think that member would have a very short time as a host. :laugh:

I think one of the most important success factors for a mafia game is the selection of active players. Sandy's method of at least requiring some form of motivation for signing up, might already deter some potentially inactive members from signing up.

That Fellows and Staff seem to be better represented, might very well be due to their activity on the forum. But some other members, like JimButcher, TPRU, Zepher, and even yourself flitwick are considered active mafia players and - from what I've seen - get a fair chance of playing.

I think one of the most important success factors for a mafia game is the selection of active players. Sandy's method of at least requiring some form of motivation for signing up, might already deter some potentially inactive members from signing up.

That Fellows and Staff seem to be better represented, might very well be due to their activity on the forum. But some other members, like JimButcher, TPRU, Zepher, and even yourself flitwick are considered active mafia players and - from what I've seen - get a fair chance of playing.

Once again, another person has raised a good argument, but if it were a decider between Tiny Pies, and Dragonator, it what are the odds the host would decide to flip a coin?

I do hope I'm not coming off as a arrogant idealist. :sceptic:

The way I see it, taking part in a Mafia game is an added bonus to the membership in EB, not a constitutional right. If staff or fellows are occasionally 'rewarded' after a fashion for their involvement in EB by being picked first for Mafia games, it's fine with me and I don't expect to play in every one of them. Maybe eventually there should be two games running in parallel, if there are really that many people interested.

The way I see it, taking part in a Mafia game is an added bonus to the membership in EB, not a constitutional right. If staff or fellows are occasionally 'rewarded' after a fashion for their involvement in EB by being picked first for Mafia games, it's fine with me and I don't expect to play in every one of them.

If that was true, then the staff would have their own mafia game forum. If that was true, but they did not, then I would be severely ticked off. It's called a title. It shouldn't mean anything.

Edited by CallMePie

I know that Dragonator was away, but would you of allowed me to join in the game, despite knowing I might not be active for the first several in game days, missing crucial parts of the experience.

Actually, since you had a solid track record in previous Mafia-games, and I knew you were a Harry Potter fan, I would've allowed you to join in the game despite being absent for a while.

Dragonator surely wasn't the only one that got leeway because of his vacation. The only person I ended up replacing because of being absent was sok117, and that was only because he was going away for two weeks with no internet connection whatsoever (he returned just as the game was ending, proving I made the right choice anyway).

Saying I was playing favorites with the mods is a bit insulting to me, because I tried my damnest to take everyone into consideration while still hosting a fluid and fun Mafia-game experience. :hmpf_bad:

I'm not saying that Fellows and above should be penalised from playing games just because of there position in the boards, but neither should they be revered so much that they are beyond the point of being denied entry.

---

I think that member would have a very short time as a host. :laugh:

Funny contradiction there. :wink:

While it's true that the staff have a free pass into the forum games here, you must remember that they have earned their respect among the membership with the amount of time and dedication they have sacrificed for this site. It's not like they're "revered" without any reason at all.

Figuratively spitting at their face just because they hold the power here doesn't do them justice, really. :sceptic:

If that was true, then the staff would have their own mafia game forum.

And then they wouldn't be able to torture the newbies? Naah! :devil::tongue:

Saying I was playing favorites with the mods is a bit insulting to me, because I tried my damnest to take everyone into consideration while still hosting a fluid and fun Mafia-game experience. :hmpf_bad:

I'm sorry if I caused you offence my dear, and indeed there was a healthy balance in yours.

While it's true that the staff have a free pass into the forum games here, you must remember that they have earned their respect among the membership with the amount of time and dedication they have sacrificed for this site. It's not like they're "revered" without any reason at all.

Indeed, they've done more for Eurobricks then anyone else, but they should really be given the same chance as everyone. It would be like saying the Queen should have a greater chance of winning the lottery, as she has done more for her country then most people.

Figuratively spitting at their face just because they hold the power here doesn't do them justice, really. :sceptic:

And I except that what I've said here today has not pulled me any favours, but I was merely stating that I felt that it was hard for non-moderators to enter games.

Indeed, they've done more for Eurobricks then anyone else, but they should really be given the same chance as everyone. It would be like saying the Queen should have a greater chance of winning the lottery, as she has done more for her country then most people.

Yea. They already get priveleges, like, closing topics, frontpaging stuff, and banning people. :laugh:

It would be like saying the Queen should have a greater chance of winning the lottery, as she has done more for her country then most people.

No no no no no. I see that this is your problem here: you liken the staff to royalty, when in fact you should liken them as trainees or even slaves - working their butts off with no pay.

The Queen has done nothing to earn her priviledges expect getting born into the right family at the right time, and even presidents and ministers get paid heftily for their work.

The staff here dedicate a big part of their lives to this forum for absolutely no other pay than the kudos we give them for that. I know this well, having been a moderator on another forum - it's something I don't really want to experience again.

As someone said earlier, getting picked first into Mafia-games is a really low price for what they've done for the good of this community - but at least it's something. Don't let your envy or wrongful feeling of injustice or whatever it is you're feeling take that away from them, please.

Unlike slaves, the staff have no obligation to run this site, so if we don't give them the respect they deserve, the consequences will be very dire for this whole community. The internet is full of examples of forums that have had that exact fate, trust me.

No no no no no. I see that this is your problem here: you liken the staff to royalty, when in fact you should liken them as trainees - working their butts off with no pay.

The Queen has done nothing to earn her priviledges expect getting born into the right family at the right time, and even presidents and ministers get paid heftily for their work.

The staff here dedicate a big part of their lives to this forum for absolutely no other pay than the kudos we give them for that. I know this well, having been a moderator on another forum - it's something I don't really want to experience again.

As someone said earlier, getting picked first into Mafia-games is a really low price for what they've done for the good of this community - but at least it's something. Don't let your envy or wrongful feeling of injustice or whatever it is you're feeling take that away from them, please.

Perhaps the Queen was a bad example, and that someone like Sarkozy, or Obama, or another elected figure. I know I'm coming of as very left wing here, try to take rights away from those higher up to chain of command, but in the future I will be voting for a British Liberal government. One of their main electoral slogans was 'Proportional Representation', trying to give every political party a say.

I also said nothing about wanting to treat them like trainees, but wanting to treat them the same as any other member here.

Could we move away from the whole Choosing Players discussion. The point of this thread is for people to have their opinion on what they want to see in future mafia games.

Thank You :classic:

Could we move away from the whole Choosing Players discussion. The point of this thread is for people to have their opinion on what they want to see in future mafia games.

Thank You :classic:

No worries, sorry for the derail. :blush:

I'd like to see one with peoples sig-figs, based in a fictional Eurobricks headquarters. The plot could start with the murder of a bunch of non-playing members sig-figs. Of course the host would need a lot of money, and it would start about of month after the sign-up, in order to order all the items needed of Bricklink.

@proffesor flitwick: I was always thinking of doing that as one of my first host games. :laugh:

I have been thinking of hosting a game from a while now, though obviously I am not expierienced enough to make the commitment. I would be going for topics that haven't really been touched.

e.g.

-Hero Factory

-Polictical. ( Vote offs aren't deaths, but night actions are).

-Cold War Era Spying and Warfare.

-Eurobricks Mafia.

I am not sure off the popularity of Hero Factory but anyway, those are my ideas. Are those to anyones pleasing?

Edited by The crazy one

-Hero Factory

-Polictical. ( Vote offs aren't deaths, but night actions are).

-Cold War Era Spying and Warfare.

-Eurobricks Mafia.

They all sound pretty good, especialy Hero Factory and Cold war, as they would make realy interesting and dynamic games. However, Maybe instead of a cold war setting, how about a Russian sleeper group? That's topical, and I don't think it's been touched much, plus it fits the mafia format perfectly.

Personaly, I'd love more mafia games with bonus missions like Sandy's Hogwarts.

The idea of an Eurobricks Mafia is awesome, if perhaps technically more difficult. And when can we expect a Fabuland mafia, pleease? :cry_happy:

Or what about a Time Cruisers mafia, that could involve some interesting 'night' actions!

Sign in to follow this