Review: 4894 Creator - Mythical Creatures

indexed.gif

Mythical Creatures reviewed by Dunamis

Set 4894

588 Pieces

$29.95 at the LEGO store

Build time 75 minutes (primary model)

The Box:

Box is standard that is sealed. There is a TRY ME cutout for the light-up brick in the lower corner of the box. You have to physically rip open the box to get at the pieces inside There are multiple alternate models shown on the back of the box. Parts are in the standard LEGO packaging; perforated bags and standard sealed bags. There were two long black plates and a clear tube free in the box along with the two instruction manuals. In addition, you have to rip out the cardboard that holds the light-up brick.

The Front:

lego_011.jpg

The Back

lego_013.jpg

The Goods:

lego_014.jpg

The Manual:

TWO manuals accompany this set! Both are 88 pages in length. In addition to the building instruction for eight different models, you get ideas for nine more models! The only thing that would make this even better is if they put the instructions for these alternates on the web. Finally, you also get two-pages of part listings. I had no dark color issues with the manual and there were no sticker sheets with this set. One nice thing about the set is each numbered step has a parts callout showing you all the parts (and quantities) needed for each step. This is a very handy feature that I wish LEGO would do in every instruction manual.

Two Manuals:

lego_017.jpg

Some Alternates:

lego_020.jpg

lego_022.jpg

Some Ideas:

lego_018.jpg

lego_057.jpg

Callouts:

lego_026.jpg

The Pieces:

Hello green parts pack! Lots of multiple light and dark green parts are here including some wedge plates (wings) and plenty of articulator arms. Plus, you get some horns, teeth and of course, the light up brick.

Items of note:

� We have some 2x6 grey wings. I think these are the same as in the new Star Destroyer.

� The light up brick has a replaceable battery!

� There are some 1x1 45 degree slopes in yellow.

� There are two 2x16 black plates.

Light Up Brick

lego_016.jpg

The Build:

Building the primary model (a dragon) was brisk and very straightforward. There were no snags where you can make a mistake and won�t know it until fifteen steps later and you have to start over. The fact that each step calls out every part needed and doesn�t call out more than a handful of parts make it pretty painless.

It is interesting to note that in some cases two parts were used when one would suffice. For example, sometimes you would use two 1x1 plates right next to each other. You would think they would just call for a 1x2 plate instead. This occurred multiple times throughout the build. I was curious to see if this impacted the stability and strength of the model but it did not appear to. My only conclusion as to why they did this is that there were seven other models using the same parts.

The primary model was very nice and very detailed. I think LEGO did an amazing job in that almost everything on the model moves. Even the toes are fully moveable. The wings and legs all move to multiple positions and the tail is nice and long to help balance the dragon when it is standing. Very well done!

The Head

lego_040.jpg

The Foot (notice each toe is independant)

lego_032.jpg

The Dragon

lego_043.jpg

Overall Thoughts:

I very much enjoyed this set and the others in the line 4507 (Prehistoric Creatures) and 4892 (Prehistoric Power). All three sets have some great models and they all have at least eight building instructions. In my opinion, these are some of the better LEGO sets in that they have multiple building instructions and are fairly easy builds.

I suppose it goes without saying that this also makes a very nice dragon for any of the Classic Castle, Viking or newer Knights Kingdom sets. It is about the right scale to scare the blocks off of any minifig you might have around.

The piece per $$ ratio on this set is very attractive and becomes even better when they go on sale. Some of you may remember this past Christmas when TRU put the 4507 on sale for $14.95. 719 pieces (with all that dark red) for $14.95 was amazing! Expect similar goodness here as well.

I can take this dragon, I have my +1 spear!

lego_059.jpg

lego_062.jpg

Son of a...

lego_067.jpg

Final Rating: 85%

Playability 8/10 (You�re not going �play� with it, but it compliments Viking and Castle sets nicely.)

Design 9/10 (Very nice alternates plus nine more ideas)

Parts 8/10 (Did I mention there was green here?)

Price 9/10 (Outstanding price/parts ratio.)

This is a great set and great parts pack. Keep an eye out for these things to go on sale (or TRU BOGO) and load up. The primary model displays well and there are multiple alternates to keep you busy. Enjoy!

Maybe it's worth rethinking... Would you say it's fragile - i.e parts may come off if not handled gently?

The wings are cloth. Do you think they'll be in Canada TRU?

I'd already planned to get this set, but seeing your review made me want it even more! Thanks for doing this, and have fun with your dragon!

Nice Review! One question: roughly how many of the pieces are bley?

Thanks and God Bless,

Nathan

THis is the future of non-joonerized lego. Well designed sets with great main models and which are also good parts packs for the money. A+

OK, here come the answers to your questions:

Maybe it's worth rethinking... Would you say it's fragile - i.e parts may come off if not handled gently?

- It is marginally sturdy. The wings do tend to shift on you if you aren't careful. It does tend to tip forward too. It is not meant for heavy play by any means.

What material are the wings made from?

- Cloth like the sailbarge. Not as heavy as old style Pirate sails though...

Do you think they'll be in Canada TRU?

- I have no idea. I bought it at the LEGO store in California. However, the other two creator sets were in TRU so I would suspect this one will too.

One question: roughly how many of the pieces are bley?

- In my estimation, I would say no more than 10%.

It is interesting to note that in some cases two parts were used when one would suffice. For example, sometimes you would use two 1x1 plates right next to each other. You would think they would just call for a 1x2 plate instead. This occurred multiple times throughout the build. I was curious to see if this impacted the stability and strength of the model but it did not appear to. My only conclusion as to why they did this is that there were seven other models using the same parts.

Yeah, that's the impression that I get too. I notice this a lot with the designer series, and I figure the reason they opt for the smaller combinations of parts is simply because they can be arranged in different combinations for the other models better.

Regardless, I built this set last night, I'm impressed. The wings were a little confusing at first because the third hole didn't reach all the way to the end of the wing!

Then I remembered the Pythagorean theorem and realised I put the diagonal edge of the wing in the wrong place :P

Anyways, awesome set. I wasn't too psyched for this set before I got it, but after I built it I was really impressed.

One question: have you built by any chance the alternate three headed dragon (present on page 52) ?? This model looks great too !!

*yoda*

Sorry, I have not had a chance to build any other models yet. I have a busy week so I probably won't until this weekend.

Hey Dunamis, only build it if you want !! I appreciate it but I don't want to "force" you in building that model ;-)

*yoda*

i'm a bit disapointed in this set.It dosent look as good as the lion or the t-rex.Its a bit complex and dosent seem quite like a dragon to me..I guess this would be very usefull for castle and esspecially to vikings fans.A great add to their collection and an ecxellent way to build the mythical creature of their ecxpextation..

otherwise i dont see any use for all those green parts.. :-/

the creator series is not as good as last years in my opinion... :-(

they should have made a building like building bonanza.. *wub*

i see where the marketers are going with this but i can say im not the target group!! :-D

so to all that are going to get this enjoy!!

and i have to say another great review dunamis (that means force, power or strenght in Greek!!) *sweet*

:-) phoinix

Not a bad set. I'd have prefered the first dino set in green though. This one had a lot more plates than bricks. I snagged it mostly for the green cloth sails... Elven Corsairs spotted on the horizon...

Steve

i saw this set in TRU just yesterday. so i would think it should be available in TRU canada too. just check out the nearest shop (unless it's like 10+ miles away).

and phoinix, what are you talking about? green is a great color for an exo-force mech! it's not just for castle or viking fans... ;-) i have a planned a design for a female battle mech. just have to build it. but i'm lazy and stretched out until summer. :-D