118 members have voted

1. 1. 8403 Family Home

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

Thank you for the nice review with many pics. :classic:

If this set will only be around 38 euro I would be very happy.

If its any comfort it was €36.99 in Smyths Irish stores. Not sure if this is indicative of pricing elsewhere.

Thank you so very much for this review. This set looks like a great addition to any City/Town layout. Definitely a set I would add to my collection and possibly MOC. I can't wait for this set to arrive to the US. I am happy to see TLG finally released a set that reflects the bygone "Town" days. A time when TLG made homes and cottages for the theme. I hope TLG keeps this trend alive in the years to come.

Model On!!

Thanks for review! :classic:

I love this set :sweet: !

I will probably buy two when it hits stores in the US.

:yoda: :yoda: :yoda::vader: :vader: :vader:

Thank you very much for this great review, Rufus! :classic:

I voted for

outstanding

Con:

-no ladder up to the tree house

-computer screen instead of TV screen in the kitchen (why not another sticker?)

-sofa only fits one minifig

-seats too high in comparison to the too low tables

-no bathroom/toilet

-no additional daughter

-no bicycle

-no car

-no car port or garage

Pro:

-complete family

-lovely garden with tree house and bbq

-awesome exterior and interior design (kitchen, living room and bedroom)

-solar panels

-terrace with sun chair

-skateboard

-mailbox

-street lamp

-a lot of accessory

Although some few things could be done better, this set is all in all absolutely amazing! It offers nearly everything a decent family house should include! And it's the first family house after many decades.

A really, really good turn of TLG! More civlian buildings on!

Klaus-Dieter

Thank you for a very nice review! I think this is my most anticipated set this year. I saw a couple of these on the shelf at Target yesterday, but held back since I'd rather pick it up at the Lego Store and use my VIP points. I don't mind the color scheme, but I hope we see more different colored houses in the future. The interior of this house is pretty impressive, although a small bathroom would have been nice. Overall, this looks like a nicely balanced set (plenty on the outside, plenty on the inside) and I'm looking forward to adding this to Otisburg.

As far as I'm aware it's only available from Smyths Toys (UK and Eire) so far.

8403 City House

If its any comfort it was €36.99 in Smyths Irish stores. Not sure if this is indicative of pricing elsewhere.

Thank you, than It's here maybe a bit higher.

Looks like another great set! Especially because it's modular, and it's smaller than the others, so it should be a bit cheaper :D.

Cool looking set! My little town needs smallish houses like this as I think the creator/modular buildings are just too big!! (more realistic I know, but in my "reliving my childhood" world, Lego buildings shouldn't have back walls!!!) :grin:

Hah! If it was like *my* Lego childhood world there would only be 2 houses, single story with all walls. One blue & white (mine), the other red & yellow (my little brothers). That's all we had as far as bulk bricks went, the first 2-3 brick courses in one color then switching to the other, no roofs. Good times, all those bricks are safe & sound in my parents basement, will take them back one day.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack, really hard to stop myself from taking trips down memory lane around here. Great review Rufus, looking forward to picking this set up, has some nice little features. Hopefully I can get 2-3 on sale and build up something more substantial that will fit in with my modulars, yet still retain the feel & details.

Edited by craym0nk

Now this is a nice set that fits nicely in my old school, 1980's town. And no bulky 6 wide car! Great set!

Now what's wrong with 6 wide cars ? :wink:

1980's eh ? :grin:

This build uses 6 1x5x6 panels, the houses from the 1980's were all brick built !

Actually I like both worlds the new and old, now come on August, in fact I think it's mid-August (I better have a word to my usual Toyworld store I visit) so I can get my hands on this set.

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Hey ! I know that I’m a bite late on this review…

But I would like to share my impression about this set.

I’m glad to see TLC releasing such a set! In fact, this is the first time for a longtime now that we don’t have a set without vehicles, flirck missiles or other adventure features. We’ve got a classic house.

This house is built on the same way that the pizzeria in the city corner or the shop in the construction site are. So, this is a good point if you want to expend your city with actual sets.

This is really a modern version of houses that we’ve got during the good old time!

We’ve got some nice furniture (I really like the long chair) but also some other not that good, like this poor designed BBQ! TLC has already made some better version, really!

So, I’m very happy to see this kind of sets in the city line! I hope that it will sell well and we will see other sets like that in the future.

But on the other hand, I have to admit that personally, I don’t find this house really exiting.

I mean, the target of this set is the kiddies. So, when you have tasted sets like café corner, green grocery or grand emporium, this one looks very empty and basic, without anything special.

I mean, I don’t want a house with a lot of architectural details, but it seems that TLC makes some more detailed and sophisticated vehicles in term of design (just look at those new tractors, the last construction vehicles, the taw truck from 7642…). I think that “limitation” has an economical origin (reducing the number of pieces but having an impressive house for kids).

But I know that I will buy one of it just for few parts (sausage, long chair and green garbage), the rest will be a parts pack.

So, I really see this set as it is: a good LEGO house for children, nothing more, but nothing less too.

Quick note to you all, this set is now available at S@H...in Germany....though ! :hmpf_bad:

39 euro's is the listed price (I don't think this has been spoken of yet - the fact it's now available S@H).

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Actually, this is not half of a house, it is a full, complete house. Note the finishing roof tiles on the very top of the roof. Lego buildings have always been designed to have an open back to maximize playability. Regarding this topic, I disagree with you, but other than that, great detailed review. If you want to add a TV, you can simply hang a 4x4 black plate from the ceiling, in front of the sofa and table. Also, with that empty room in the top floor, you can add a bathroom, or a bedroom for the boy. The final picture with the kid spying is very funny! :thumbup: This set is now available in Canada for $54.99 CAD.

Actually, this is not half of a house, it is a full, complete house. Note the finishing roof tiles on the very top of the roof. Lego buildings have always been designed to have an open back to maximize playability. Regarding this topic, I disagree with you, but other than that, great detailed review. If you want to add a TV, you can simply hang a 4x4 black plate from the ceiling, in front of the sofa and table. Also, with that empty room in the top floor, you can add a bathroom, or a bedroom for the boy. The final picture with the kid spying is very funny! :thumbup: This set is now available in Canada for $54.99 CAD.

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

Great review - this is a very nice set, I would have loved this when I was 10 but I'm not sure yet if I will add it to my collection.

Some of the details in the review and the close ups are excellent so many thanks for posting

I concur completely with Iain. Many thanks for reviewing and sharing this set with us all.

I think this is a great set, and comes at a reasonable price. I like the minifigures. The bedroom looks awfully dark, and the living room has no t.v., but apart from that this set is pretty good. A great review, and I love the little story, especially the last picture!

Bought this set today and it looks very nicely on the shelf.

It's more simple than the Creator houses, but still I like the style: it reminds me those narrow japanese houses and I like it a lot!!

Thanks for the beautiful review! :D