Captain Blackmoor

Le Fourageux, French third-rate ship of the line, minifig scale!

It is simply epic. Maybe this was addressed earlier in this thread, but is it to scale?

Thanks Tycho, it is very close to scale. :pir-classic:

What can I say besides how epically beautiful this ship is? Well done indeed Captain! :pir-oh3::thumbup:

Thanks Fires-Storm! :thumbup:

The list of updates:

[snip]

Well thats sure is a lot of job mate, you made it wider and longer also. I wouldnt have noticed if you wouldnt have sayed anything :pir_laugh2: The mizzle mast looks great, and the life boat.. you may want to add a small mast and sail on it, or try to make own mded lifeboats like CG/BH did. But if not its ok. You are only make it everytime a little bit stronger and more readyer, cant wait till its finished :thumbup: (I wouldnt want to on pirate ship when this beast comes to the horizon)

Captain Becker

Thanks Captain! The large lifeboat will be able to carry a mast, which will be stored somewhere else though.

i like the Bananas. good use :)

I'm glad as well it turned out so nicely. Were fruits ain't good for? :pir-laugh:

Insane, simply insane. I am really impressed by the size of this ship and the way you have done the stern is just marvelous.

Thank you very much Jack! :pir-cry_happy:

This is on its way to becoming the (one of the) best LEGO pirate ships ever. I'm amazed at what 'curves' can be achieved with rectangular bricks. The technique you use for the bow looks very promising. Easily the best I have seen.

Thanks Rick! As you indeed have seen no curved brick has been used, I only know one to find. :pir_laugh2: Lots of hinges! I'm working on a brand new technique for the bow curves though. The headrails remain the same though. :pir-wink:

great work cap'n :) how do you make the masts?

That technique will be shared later on. :pir-wink:

Sweet update! I've really enjoyed watching the progress of this ship. Can't wait to see it finished.

:jollyroger:

I'm glad you like it Capt. Stabbin! :pir-sweet:

Thanks Captain! The large lifeboat will be able to carry a mast, which will be stored somewhere else though.

I see at you use a 4+ sets Captain Kragg's Pirate Boat 7072 ship hull, Do you have two of those large life boats or just only one? i have made my coast line sloop also on that hull too btw.

Captain Becker

It's indeed a large piece, a prefab, which I don't like to have as a lifeboat. I'm thinking about a brickbuilt lifeboat hull...

She will have 2 lifeboats, and each of them has a small rowing boat on top.

Great updates you've made since last time Captain Blackmoor, well done :thumbup:

I really like how you have build the bow, with those nice decorations.

the Inventor

Thanks the Inventor! Today I have found the perfect technique for the bow, and it works! The shape is perfect now and it fits nicely with the headrails. Pictures are coming soon. ;)

Thanks the Inventor! Today I have found the perfect technique for the bow, and it works! The shape is perfect now and it fits nicely with the headrails. Pictures are coming soon. ;)

Sounds great! I am very much looking forward to that since until now the shape looked "too flat". Other than that I agree that a brickbuild lifeboat looks much better. Good luck on your ship!

Good move to make it slightly longer and I'm also glad to hear you found a perfect bow technique.

Next to that all the little details like on the prow make this extraordinary! :thumbup:

Phenomenal ship! The deck details and stern galleries are awesome. Can't wait to see her with rigging!

-Swab

It's looking great again, as usual :pir-sweet:

Unfortunately you don't show us many pictures of the interior but the exterior is just as interesting.

I like the bow a lot (can't wait to see that finished with all the decorations!) and the wider hull makes it even more impressive!

But I agree with Capt. Becker that a small mast on the lifeboat would make that look better and I would lengthen the yellow line from the poop deck with 6 or 8 studs.

Good progress, can't whait to see the next update!

You are my personal hero :pir-wub:

Thank you. :pir-laugh:

Time for some pictures again isn't it?

I have been busy past days, and the work is dropping it's fruits. :pir-sweet:

The only thing left on the hull is to copy the bow's tumblehome to the larboard side. And of course the finishing touches.

I have made the masts for a part, except the foremast. The bow is the part I've worked most on, and I hope you guys like will like her current state.

Here we go:

update11005.jpg

The bow in all it's glory, more details and a new figurehead. A hydra on the skeg and Poseidon as figurehead.

update11007.jpg The back end of the ship, yes, the first picture from the larboard side. Stern galleries completed except for 1 3x3 wedge plate and some flowers. :pir-grin:

update11003.jpg

The main mast as we see it from the gundeck, standing on te grates.

update11004.jpg

The mizzen mast, a bit unstable up high, but the construction is unbreakable. It can bend a little bit but the mast will never fall over.

update11002.jpg

And the bow again.

As you've seen the pictures weren't that great, but it's dark here. It supposes to be summer here but all what we get is rain! :pir-look:

Thank you very much for watching, and keep an eye on the horizon!

The mizzen mast, a bit unstable up high, but the construction is unbreakable. It can bend a little bit but the mast will never fall over.

Never fall over eh? Well shoot at it a couple of time whit cannons and lets see it again :pir_laugh2: Great job for the ship, i totally love the whole thing, and the masts are greatly done :thumbup: But one question if you dont mind, how did you do those masts? I see at you used yellow plates. But how they are putted together and what holds them together if ya know what i mean eh? :pir_laugh2: I can wait untill its done (If we dont destroy it before that :pir-tongue: ) Keep it up.. It need only the crew, a bit more detailing, those life boats. Oh wait, i forgot one thing.. The ridding :pirate_skel1: cant wait when you are trying to do that :pir-tongue:

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

When you mentioned your new mast design inspired by Phred and ZCerberus on MSN, I had no idea it would look so good, really nice :thumbup:

However I also have to adress that the yards (the lowest at least ) look way too small in relation to the mast.

If it only bends under tension yet won't break I'm pretty confident the upper part will be perfectly stable with rigging...

Ahh and your bow looks completly awesome. It capture the unique appeareance of a ship of the line perfectly! :pir-wub:

Actually this is exactly what I wanted to achieve with the "Superbe" however I lacked the time and still do so it's unfortunately pretty unlikely I will soon be able to build such a beauty myself.

The colours remins me of the victory a bit...

Cheers and the best of luck with the rigging

Perfectionist

The bananas really are a great touch on the bow and it's good to see a figurehead on this ship.

The gundeck is still a bit empty but I can already imagine what an impressive sight it will be with all the cannons!

I would only make the 'kraanbalken'(for the anchors) a bit more horizontal. Usually they don't get much higher than the deck.

But the rest is going fine IMO. I still have a few of those flowers which I don't need anymore so if you want them you can have them :pir-sweet:

Good luck with it, I'm sure it will be an eye-catcher on Legoworld!

When you mentioned your new mast design inspired by Phred and ZCerberus on MSN, I had no idea it would look so good, really nice :thumbup:

When Blacky asked about the masts I told him they were Phred's design, and how to build them, but I suggested maybe using tiles instead of the plates we both used.

Blacky, I am gald you did because the result is fantastic! The one major issue I found with this style construction though was it was difficult to add a stable platform on top of the mast. I think I have come up with a good solution. I am using it on an update to the Phantom which I will post soon. You might want to check it out when I post it tonight or tomorrow. It does look like the platform on your ships may be a bit too narrow, but that may be just my opinion.

The bow is lovely as well. We will have to go pirate hunting when Le Fouraguex and the Phantom are complete!

Edited by ZCerberus

Looks great, love the fact that you used some colour in the figurehead and prow!

Is the figurehead an Octopus?

:imperialguard_commander1:

and Poseidon as figurehead.

:pir-wink:

:imperialguard_commander1:

:pir-wink:

Well from the side shots it looks like he has multiple tentacles or something, if they are legs they could use some work in my opinion, the upper part of it looks great though.

The bow looks fantastic, nice decorative detail. This ship is going to look stunning when it's finished. I'm going to be coming back to pirate building soon, and I think I'm gonna have to build a large pirate vessle to combat all these large ships that are being built. After looking at yours, brickbuilt hulls are deffinitly the way to go! Keep up the good work mate!

Thanks all for the nice replies. :pir-classic:

The figuehead legs will be rebuilt, a robe/mermaid thing is hard to do in bricks. :pir-laugh:

I have been busy with the rigging past days, but pictures on that later. First I'd like to show you the selection of cannons the ship will carry.

To start off: The 68 pounder Carronade!

details1002.jpg

There are 2 on the forecastle.

details1005.jpg

A simple build, three studs wide and a custom cannon barrel.

details1006.jpg

Recoil.

The mighty 36 pounder cannon!

details1007.jpg

The lower gun deck will be filled with 36 pounders.

The tough 24 pounder cannon!

details004.jpg

The middle gun deck will be filled with 24 pounders.

details001.jpg

Looks pretty cool I think. :pir-sweet:

details003.jpg

One of the four anchors, two have been added to the ship now. Credit for the design goes to Captain Blue/Greenhair.

Let me know what you think!