Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

The Valour

01.jpg

It's a British ship, not a military unit though.

I wanted it to use no more wide hull pieces than the Caribbean Clipper, but to be more detailed. I also wanted it to be manned by a crew of six, everyone having his own quarters (you can see only 5 minifigs on the pictures, but eventually it will be manned by a totally different crew). As a result, with all this stuff in place, the ship looks a bit too tall, especially the stern. It's unrealistic but personally I don't think that's bad - IMO it gives the model a nice, slightly cartoonish feel.

And, BTW, I've recently created an account on www.mocpages.com, so please visit my page, write your comments and rate the MOCs. So far I've only put this ship and The Red Dragon there, but it will be updated soon. You can even copy and paste your comments from Eurobricks - I don't mind :-) I'll also put a link from each MOC on mocpages to the corresponding thread here on Eurobricks.

My mocpages page is here: http://www.mocpages.com/home.php/3922

EDIT: THe Valour's Brickshelf folder is right here.

Edited by Dreamweb

this is probably my favorite ship MOC i have seen of yours... you say it's cartoonish, but i think it looks a lot like what LEGO produced. that is probably why i like it so !!! i love the sails and mast, now if only we (MOCers) could find a way to print on them. then this ship would look spectacular next to a BSB !!!

personally, the sides (white walls) are a little bland for my eyes, and could use some decoration. again, im looking at this from a visual sense, im not too sure how realistic that would be. and i would love to see the latticed windows instead of the house style window panes. also, it would match your fense above.

id like to see the photos of the quarters for each figure... i really loved that the BSB had sleeping quarters for the crew !!!

again, the sails and mast are spectacular, great job... this is the first ship MOC that has inspired me to get my pirates back out !!!

by the way, how tall is this compared to the BSB or SES ??? id love to see a photo with this in comparison.

oh, and i love the figure holding a snake on the ship's front... nice and original !!!

- brickminer

now if only we (MOCers) could find a way to print on them.

It's no problem to print on these sails as they are made of paper, I just didn't feel like printing in this particular case (however they have a white canvas pattern printed on them, it's not just plain paper).

and i would love to see the latticed windows instead of the house style window panes. also, it would match your fense above.

Point taken and you're probably right, however all my latticed windows are somewhere else at the moment :-) Perhaps I'll try and change them some time.

id like to see the photos of the quarters for each figure...

It's all in the Brickshelf folder... I just noticed I didn't post a direct link to the folder - silly me. But I did post the link to MOCpages where you can find that link... Well, here's the direct link to the folder anyway. You can see the pictures of all the quarters there!

this is the first ship MOC that has inspired me to get my pirates back out !!!

Do it! ;-)

by the way, how tall is this compared to the BSB or SES ??? id love to see a photo with this in comparison.

I don't have the SES, but with the BSB this can be easily arranged. Just stay in touch!

Thanks for the review!

Tall mast it has but that just makes it faster with all those sails right? It does seem a bit too tall. Would a crew of six be able to handle so many sails in case of a sudden storm?

Either way, this is a simple beauty. Lovely colors and shape. A fine addition to any port town.

MOC on!

Very nice DW. I like the use of the blue pieces. This would make a nice addition or sister to the Caribbean Clipper (but you'd have to make those pirates walk the plank). Nicely designed, esp. the mast and sails.

Mr Dreamweb, you've once again demonstrated your master craftman ship for producing historic LEGO ship MOCs.

Once again you've used a splendid sail configuration although I'm wondering if the shape of aft sail looks right. Maybe its a bit on the narrow side, or maybe my frame of mind is! In my usual style I'll approach this MOC section at a time rather than writing one long post about it, and this way Mr Dreamweb can (hopefully) answer my questions should they arrise.

The first question being: Are these sails made from paper, and if not, which material?

This would make a nice addition or sister to the Caribbean Clipper (but you'd have to make those pirates walk the plank).

They aren't pirates! And this is not a pirate ship. Not every sailor in a striped shirt is a pirate! This is a common belief among Lego fans which must be fought! Even some original Lego sets have minifigs who look like pirates but aren't pirates - check the Imperial Flagship.

I'm wondering if the shape of aft sail looks right. Maybe its a bit on the narrow side, or maybe my frame of mind is!

It really looks narrow on the picture I posted here, on the other pictures it doesn't look narrow to me. But that may look different for someone else.

The first question being: Are these sails made from paper, and if not, which material?

They are made of paper, as I've already mentioned ;-) After some experiments with various materials, including canvas and satin, I decided not to use cloth sails, apart from original Lego sails of course... Perhaps one day I'll change my mind...

They are made of paper, as I've already mentioned ;-) After some experiments with various materials, including canvas and satin, I decided not to use cloth sails, apart from original Lego sails of course... Perhaps one day I'll change my mind...

Yes, so you did! However, when I started writing that post wasn't there and I went off, did other things, came back a while later then finished the post, by which time your mention of "paper" had been posted!

08.jpg

And you've even included a spinnaker!

This would make a nice addition or sister to the Caribbean Clipper (but you'd have to make those pirates walk the plank).

They aren't pirates! And this is not a pirate ship. Not every sailor in a striped shirt is a pirate! This is a common belief among Lego fans which must be fought! Even some original Lego sets have minifigs who look like pirates but aren't pirates - check the Imperial Flagship.

That's the problem with the pirate theme - the non pirate min-figures who aren't of a military background are not easily distinguishable from the pirates. However, now that we've had themes like Western, Adventures, Harry Potter, etc. do you think it would be possible to create a civilian crew using the torsos and faces from those themes to crew a non pirate crew?

I like the colour scheme and idea but I have to admit this is way too tall for me... The sails and mast are very well configured (I always struggle with this...) and the ship has a nice imposing prescence. Keep up the great work!

God Bless,

Nathan

Warning! Due to the fact that I'm still editing the Valour's brickshlef folder (changing some photos to better ones and adding some), it might be temporarily inaccessible during the next 24 hours, after that all modifications will stop and the folder will remain public. Please be tolerant!

I like the colour scheme and idea but I have to admit this is way too tall for me...

I suspected the height would be controversial, I even considered removing the top floor from the sterncastle (still not sure if this word really exists), however I decided to leave it for the reasons given in the first post - I like the way it looks now, even though it isn't very realistic.

That's the problem with the pirate theme - the non pirate min-figures who aren't of a military background aren't easily distinguishable from the pirates. However, now that we've had themes like Western, Adventures, Harry Potter, etc. we have a variety of historic civilian torsos and heads, so do you think it would be possible to create a civilian crew using those?

That's the problem with the pirate theme - the non pirate min-figures who aren't of a military background aren't easily distinguishable from the pirates. However, now that we've had themes like Western, Adventures, Harry Potter, etc. we have a variety of historic civilian torsos and heads, so do you think it would be possible to create a civilian crew using those?

I read it the first time you wrote it, just didn't have time to elaborate on that until now... Actually I think it's worth a new topic. I've been planning on making a topic about custom Pirate minifigs, something like this one, but this time about all kinds of minifigs, not just admirals. I was planning on showing some examples of my custom soldiers, pirates and civilians and encourage other people to do so as well. I'll be ready when I take some photos... They use Castle, Adventurers, Ninja, Western and even some Town torsos and heads. I think you can find suitable parts in many different themes apart from those. Harry Potter would probably be a good source, however I don't own any HP sets. But, well, in the topic I posted a link to above you can see the ship's surgeon I made using the torso from Spider-Man 2... So there's a lot of suitable parts around, just have to look for them... Unfortunately in this case I didn't have any free torsos to make custom civilian minifigs so the striped shirts had to do this time.

Oh yes, that thread! Nobody answered my last post in that thread, but was back in the days where I couldn't bump threads without double posting. I might bump it and see if it gets any new responses.

As for the rather large castle of the Valour, what made you decide to build quarters for 4 of the crew members? Is this the LEGO equilevant of a floating hotel? :-D

This is very well built, but it looks a little too tall for me, with the back part and mast as tall as they are, I think it looks a little akward with how short the ship is.

Still, it's a nice looking ship, I really like the way you did the sails (as always) and the colours work well together.

Keep up the good work. :-)

As for the rather large castle of the Valour, what made you decide to build quarters for 4 of the crew members? Is this the LEGO equilevant of a floating hotel? l :-D But, really, what made you decide to do this?

Answering to both Mister Phes' and Sir Dillon's posts:

As I said I expected this ship to be regarded too tall. However I was quite stubborn to make it a rather small (= short) ship AND build separate quarters for 6 crew members (2 in the forecastle, 4 in the sterncastle). I don't want to talk too much about it as it may all end up as just plans, but I'm thinking about making a kind of a comic book, where the main characters will be travelling on the Valour, and that's why I wanted to have these quarters as sort of indoor scenery. I also wanted the ship to be not so big. So while building it I was thinking about the story, but I'm not sure if the story will ever be created. That's why I didn't even mention it before. For now let's just say I have made the ship and what's gonna happen next - that we will see.

First of all Ide like to say I love the ship. A lot of people seem to complain about its height, but heh? Who made the rules huh! The answer to that is no one. Your ship can be as high as you want (Within realisticness, Is that a word?) I love the ship, I love the flow of the colors, the two doors are awsome. Wonderful job. The sails look great, (Yet would be better if you followed my tutorial :D) so keep it up matey! I am also excited about the comic book project, clue us in?

I'm thinking about making a kind of a comic book, where the main characters will be travelling on the Valour, and that's why I wanted to have these quarters as sort of indoor scenery. I also wanted the ship to be not so big. So while building it I was thinking about the story, but I'm not sure if the story will ever be created. That's why I didn't even mention it before. For now let's just say I have made the ship and what's gonna happen next - that we will see.

Excellent! Let us know when you know then!

First of all Ide like to say I love the ship. A lot of people seem to complain about its height, but heh? Who made the rules huh! The answer to that is no one. Your ship can be as high as you want (Within realisticness, Is that a word?) I love the ship, I love the flow of the colors, the two doors are awsome. Wonderful job. The sails look great, (Yet would be better if you followed my tutorial :D) so keep it up matey!

Who made the rules? You'll probably find many contributors throughout history that defined ship building architecture. However, in the world of My Own LEGO Creations there doesn't have to be any rules and Mr Dreamweb can design his ships however he likes them. But in the interest of discussion such things should be addressed to satisfy those who are curious and give us a better understanding of what's going on in the mind of the creator.

Yes, it would seem that Mr Dreamweb is our master ship builder at the moment, but that's just motivation for anyone interested in building Pirate LEGO ships to push themselves to do better.

Having said that I have no motivation to make Pirate LEGO ships at this very minute. I looking forward to have the time for making ANY Pirate MOC! However, I'm interested in creating a smaller vessel like the one seen in The Imperial Trading Post.

Nobody can make better ships then you.

You have to browse Brickshelf more often, man... You can find MANY better ships there...

I looking forward to have the time for making ANY Pirate MOC! However, I'm interested in creating a smaller vessel like the one seen in The Imperial Trading Post.

Well, you've already shown us one MOC, albeit a small one, but it was a good "warm-up", don't stop now!

Unfortunately Mr Dreamweb I have stopped as Imperial Ground Forces was released 2 months ago and I've done nothing since. I find it hard to get the motivation to build MOCs as I study Fine Arts at university which stretches my creative powers to their limits creating things for projects, and I also have two web desgin jobs which requires more designing. Then there's this Pirate forum and all its special features when I'm slowly setting up - that requires a lot of thought as well. So by the time I've done all that my I've exhausted my creative powers and just feel like relaxing. But hopefully I'll be able to design a MOC during the mid-semester break!

But you carrying on the MOing without me Mr Dreamweb, eventually I'll catch up! I hope...