Sign in to follow this  
gambort

Jedi Starfighter

gallery_101_23_281.gif

4842060015_92b97d662a.jpg

This is still kind of a WIP so suggestions are welcomed but it's also kind of done. Dear TLG... a wedge can be done.

Tim

Great JSF design gambort. :thumbup: I admire your unique approach and coming up with a rather impressive design. I gotta admit your design is much better than my JSF MOCs (which is mainly an improved version of TLG's JSFs). I like the smoothness of the wings, and how you managed to make front tapered to a point (unlike TLG's and my MOC's versions). The back flap and rear area is also nicely done. A couple of suggestions:

- Make the blasters smaller.

- The rear part (behind the cockpit) should be grey on the top, yellow on the bottom

- And if you could add a wedge-shaped yellow highlight in the wings to approximate Anakin's JSF's real colors.

I would love to see this in brickform (any plans?), and in other JSF colors as well.

Edited by KielDaMan

This is great! I love the snot building and the rear fin. The thing that would make this perfect IMO would be using a couple of long cheese pieces on the nose. Then the ship would be a true wedge. Excellent work though. I agree with Kieldaman that you should let us see this in brick form.

This is great! I love the snot building and the rear fin. The thing that would make this perfect IMO would be using a couple of long cheese pieces on the nose. Then the ship would be a true wedge. Excellent work though. I agree with Kieldaman that you should let us see this in brick form.

I'm not really sure what you mean. Could you make a demonstration version and show me.

Tim

Actually if you take a look at cavegod's UCS Jedi starfighter and take a look at the nose you will see what I mean. With the snot building on the wings it should be an easy adjustment. I think it will look perfect! Again I really like your MOC! :classic:

Actually if you take a look at cavegod's UCS Jedi starfighter and take a look at the nose you will see what I mean. With the snot building on the wings it should be an easy adjustment. I think it will look perfect! Again I really like your MOC! :classic:

Hmmm... Cavegod gets away with that because he doesn't have the wedge but that's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I can't make such a simple connection like he does. Also I wouldn't be able to get the yellow point.

Tim

Edited by gambort

Excellent starfighter 'gambort' - cool SNOT wings and fantastic laser cannons ! :grin:

Great work and I'm a conformist! ! :yoda:

Hmmm... Cavegod gets away with that because he doesn't have the wedge but that's not a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I can't make such a simple connection like he does. Also I wouldn't be able to get the yellow point.

Tim

Ok then I see you are a man of conviction and I respect that. & I hope I did not offend you that was not my intention. Again I really like your MOC and IMO it is one of the better Jedi Starfighters I have seen online. Keep up the great work! :classic:

Ok then I see you are a man of conviction and I respect that. & I hope I did not offend you that was not my intention. Again I really like your MOC and IMO it is one of the better Jedi Starfighters I have seen online. Keep up the great work! :classic:

No offense taken. I do appreciate the suggestion but I think it would be a lesser compromise. No if I were to do it UCS scale who knows what I could sneak in ;)

Tim

this looks really cool and the snot is great.

are you going to make it in lego? that would be cool

great job :thumbup:

I'm hoping nobody will flame me for this, but I think this is missing something. The details are there, but it lacks some characteristic traits of a Delta-7B.

Refer to the reference picture below as you read:

Click this. For some reason I can't deeplink it.

One defining trait of the Delta-7B - as well as one reason I don't like this ship too much - is the large "blade" in the front of the ship that is more pronouced than in the Delta-7 due to the "wings" on either side being a bit smaller and more offset. It would be better if you could achieve this in your MOC. Which leads me to the guns; they are about the right size on your ship but they should be shorter, as the guns on the actual ship are like small canisters. In addition to that, the deep grooves directly in front of the cannons (deeper than on the Delta-7) are next to nonexistent on your MOC.

Another thing that's lacking is the dark square-like structures on the rear of the Delta-7B, carried over from the Delta-7. I see neither the mentioned structures nor the yellow arrows in front of them.

I will say, however, that I like the style in which this is built - perhaps more detail could be included if the ship itself were to be built in a larger scale (around 1/30)? I know from experience that construction is slightly restrictive at that size.

One defining trait of the Delta-7B - as well as one reason I don't like this ship too much - is the large "blade" in the front of the ship that is more pronouced than in the Delta-7 due to the "wings" on either side being a bit smaller and more offset. It would be better if you could achieve this in your MOC.

I agree to some degree and would love to work out a way to pull it off but at the scale I'm yet to work out a solution.

Which leads me to the guns; they are about the right size on your ship but they should be shorter, as the guns on the actual ship are like small canisters. In addition to that, the deep grooves directly in front of the cannons (deeper than on the Delta-7) are next to nonexistent on your MOC.

I agree about the guns. I based the whole thing on various pictures including those of the Delta-7 and may have used the wrong guns for the MOC. But I'm sorry I think complaining about the groove is just pointless without offering a viable alternative. If you can tell me how to get a small groove on a slope I'll add it in. I've got nothing against sensible critique but seriously... that's just an unreasonable complaint.

Another thing that's lacking is the dark square-like structures on the rear of the Delta-7B, carried over from the Delta-7. I see neither the mentioned structures nor the yellow arrows in front of them.

I see no yellow arrows on the picture you link to but agree that those squares are very obvious in that pic. Unfortunately that obviousness doesn't seem to be remotely standard.

I will say, however, that I like the style in which this is built - perhaps more detail could be included if the ship itself were to be built in a larger scale (around 1/30)? I know from experience that construction is slightly restrictive at that size.

Upscaling always offers the opportunity for more detail. But I'm far too lazy to try it ;)

Tim

I apologize gambort. Here's a way to achieve grooves in the wings:

I think the groove could be achieved if instead of the 33 slope you're using you put this or this used with a plate/tile, or maybe even something like this in its place.

That's a nice MOC. I love the slope- that's a real good job there. Best JSF I've seen.

I apologize gambort. Here's a way to achieve grooves in the wings:

I think the groove could be achieved if instead of the 33 slope you're using you put this or this used with a plate/tile, or maybe even something like this in its place.

Yes I could lose the slope and get the groove. But then I'd have a hole in my wing which I think would look much sillier than having no groove. And the panel wouldn't fit in the space available.

Can you demonstrate a way, with this or a similar construction to achieve BOTH the groove and the slope? If you can show me a way I'll be rather happy but I'm fairly sure it's impossible.

And to get away from specificities while I don't disagree with your comments I do think that one should offer a plausible solution when calling for the near-impossible and very difficult. It's very easy to just say "that's not quite right" but if you're not taking into account the limitations of building with LEGO (which is, after all, what we do), it's somewhat meaningless prattle.

Tim

Edited by gambort

Very nice and accurate JSF! I really wish TLG's official versions looked like this, it looks a lot more accurate than their version!