Sign in to follow this  
Sir E Fullner

MOD: The Fat Controller's Engines

traintech1.jpg

Hello, Eurobrickers. Not that long ago I decided to do a MOC series based off of the Railway Series. Now here is installment one.

Thomas the Tank Engine

lddscreenshot28.png

Here we are at Ffarquhar Station. And here is No. 1, Thomas. Aside of him is the Fat Controller.

Thomas was originally built in 1913 by Lawson B. Billinton, as an E2 0-6-0T with extended side tanks. He was bought by the Fat Controller in 1915 to help build the North Western Railway across the Island of Sodor. He was painted blue with red stripes and put to work. When bigger, faster engines arrived on the island, Thomas recieved his job of being a station pilot at Vicarstown Station. When another engine had an accident involving wooden brakeshoes, Thomas was first on the scene, with the breakdown train. The Fat Controller was pleased by this, so he gave Thomas his own branchline from Knapford to Ffarquhar, and gave him two old coaches, Annie and Clarabel. Thomas works hard on this branchline to this day.

The MOC

lddscreenshot29.png

Thomas is built 20 studs long and 6 bricks tall from funnel to footplate. His interior isn't as detailed as his exterior, but it still has room for a driver.

lddscreenshot30.png

The Fat Controller and I both agree that this series will be a great success.

For more on the real Thomas, click here.

For more on my MOC, visit the link to my brickshelf located at the bottom of my signature.

Always entertaining, always inspiring, always:

Excellent 'efullner' now I would like to see it built out of bricks ! :grin:

Oh, by the way The Fat Controller must have been on a diet, right ? :grin:

Great LDD work there 'efullner' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

This brings back a lot of memories from years ago. Indeed it would be great to see this out of real bricks, and possibly with some custom decals. :thumbup: Great build, I will be looking forward to your future installments.

Edited by -R8-

What a 'Really Useful' MOC :tongue:

Perhaps you could try some of the squarer trains - like Duck, Boco and some of the other diesels :vader: which might be easier to illustrate in Lego form. One day I'd really like to make a mountain rack railway with Culdee, Lord Harry, Godred and all the rest of them...

What a 'Really Useful' MOC :tongue:

Perhaps you could try some of the squarer trains - like Duck, Boco and some of the other diesels :vader: which might be easier to illustrate in Lego form. One day I'd really like to make a mountain rack railway with Culdee, Lord Harry, Godred and all the rest of them...

Here's a few:

Steam: Thomas, Duck, Stepney, Toby, Edward (Chassis)

Diesels: BoCo, Bear (Hymek)

Others: Toad the brake van, Scruffey the trucks' ring-leader.

Oh for enough dark purple to do the mountain railway! Could that be made to work with the Indy mine track?

Mark

Here's a few:

Steam: Thomas, Duck, Stepney, Toby, Edward (Chassis)

Diesels: BoCo, Bear (Hymek)

Others: Toad the brake van, Scruffey the trucks' ring-leader.

Oh for enough dark purple to do the mountain railway! Could that be made to work with the Indy mine track?

Mark

I like your models Mark! Duck and Bear are pretty much perfect :thumbup:

Oh, I've spent many nights dreaming of a Lego mountain railway :tongue: Given enough parts and time,it seems fairly simple. Curves might be difficult, although I haven't looked at how they are constructed beyond the Railway Series books. I might do a bit of research, figure out how LDD works and give it a (virtual) try.

A mountain or narrow-gauge railway was one of the first things I thought of when seeing the Indy mine set for the first time. The steep inclines and tight curves are a bit much though. I'd like to make 'Devil's Back' with a large engine shed at the bottom, just how I imagine them in the books.