Bonaparte

Major board upgrade

Dear staff,

I really love the banner options and I wanted to make a request, if you could add the one in the Mafia Games Forum to the list. I really love the solid figures in frames. I know this may be difficult but if it isn't too much I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Best regards,

JCC

Edited by JCC1004

I know this may be difficult but if it isn't too much I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

After slaving away at it all night, it's available. *wipes the sweat off his brow* No no, it was no trouble or anything ... :sadnew:

:wink:

Not to be a drag, again. :tongue: But when was the "Topics in this forum" banner put in place? Its nice but isnt it sort of redundant because you went into that forum to look at those topics. But then your being told by the banner the topics in there? It may look nicer if in the 'summer' forums it was the same colour as the dark blue and not a new light pale blue. :classic:

Not to be a drag, again. :tongue: But when was the "Topics in this forum" banner put in place? Its nice but isnt it sort of redundant because you went into that forum to look at those topics. But then your being told by the banner the topics in there? It may look nicer if in the 'summer' forums it was the same colour as the dark blue and not a new light pale blue. :classic:

Screenshot, please. I don't know what you're talking about. :laugh:

Right below the 'Announcements' and above the (pinned) topics. I think it's because of the addition of announcements on all(?) forums now.

It's only there temporary until everyone learns to post with proper punctuation and capitalization :tongue:

Once the announcement is gone that line will disappear automatically.

After slaving away at it all night, it's available. *wipes the sweat off his brow* No no, it was no trouble or anything ... :sadnew:

:wink:

Thanks Shadows. :grin:

Best regards,

JCC

EDIT: I know this probably can't be fixed but the background colour for the skin is black and you can't read most of the member profiles unless you highlight them.

Edited by JCC1004

here it is, :classic: Its just below announcements but above the topics

capturejpg.jpg

Edited by Roncanator

EDIT: I know this probably can't be fixed but the background colour for the skin is black and you can't read most of the member profiles unless you highlight them.

IPB, for reasons I will never guess, made their default skin with only light backgrounds in mind. As a result, they didn't define background colours for lots of little sections that would need them if you did use a dark background. That's one of them. The "previous/current/next" forum links was another. There were many more. Fortunately, I know where to stick those background colours to make it work, and now it does. :thumbup:

It should be noted, however, that some skins were never intended to work in all areas, so there might be little oddities when viewing profiles or messages. For the most part, they should all be capable of doing the job, you just have to overlook the weird bits where they happen to be. Or report them here, it's a good way to get them fixed.

IPB, for reasons I will never guess, made their default skin with only light backgrounds in mind. As a result, they didn't define background colours for lots of little sections that would need them if you did use a dark background. That's one of them. The "previous/current/next" forum links was another. There were many more. Fortunately, I know where to stick those background colours to make it work, and now it does. :thumbup:

It should be noted, however, that some skins were never intended to work in all areas, so there might be little oddities when viewing profiles or messages. For the most part, they should all be capable of doing the job, you just have to overlook the weird bits where they happen to be. Or report them here, it's a good way to get them fixed.

Thanks again Shadows. :classic: At least you got it to work for the information under the profile picture. That's all I really needed. I do understand that some may not work properly in areas. Thanks for helping me out.

JCC

Another thing, after upgrading to Safari 5, whenever I click reply or edit, it allows me to do so, but takes me to a different already open tab. default_wacko.gif This wasn't an issue with the older versions of Safari, so it may not be a fault of the forum.

Another thing, after upgrading to Safari 5, whenever I click reply or edit, it allows me to do so, but takes me to a different already open tab. default_wacko.gif This wasn't an issue with the older versions of Safari, so it may not be a fault of the forum.

Its part of the new version of safari. You should be able to change it in the settings. :classic:

It's not a big complaint, and overall I'm extremely fond of the new board, but I find that the members search page is less informative than it used to be. For instance, it used to feature the date of the last post (or visit?) of a member, so that we could see at a glance if the person was still active on EB or not. And the new layout kind of wastes a lot of space while displaying less information than before. I think the grid layout worked better.

And I liked having the basic sorting tools (show...by...order...results) always visible at the top of the page, instead of having to press a button then scroll to the bottom of the advanced options panel. Maybe some compromise could be reached? Like either reinstating the basic options to the top of the main page, or at least migrating them to the top of the advanced options panel?

These are really minor issues I know, and as I mentioned, they don't detract from what I think is a greatly improved board! :thumbup:

These are really minor issues I know, and as I mentioned, they don't detract from what I think is a greatly improved board! :thumbup:

Do be aware that we didn't make any of the changes; the guys that make the software did. We tweaked it a lot to make this board as much like the old as we could, but in many cases we didn't want to, or it would simply take too long. As for your specific examples;

Last Active; it's still there. Left side, second box.

Member search; yeah I agree. I might try to change that in time.

Do be aware that we didn't make any of the changes; the guys that make the software did. We tweaked it a lot to make this board as much like the old as we could, but in many cases we didn't want to, or it would simply take too long.

Yes I figured as much, but of course I can't really tell which changes were approved by the admins and which were just unavoidable.

As for your specific examples;

Last Active; it's still there. Left side, second box.

Second box? I only can see it by clicking on the magnifying glass. And I would rather have it on the main page (maybe instead of the 'views' count which I don't find really useful). But that's just my opinion!

Member search; yeah I agree. I might try to change that in time.

Thanks!

Yes I figured as much, but of course I can't really tell which changes were approved by the admins and which were just unavoidable.

True. When I get around to it ( :tongue: ) and find the time ( :tongue: ) I might make a topic discussing this to get an idea of what changes people have grown to like and what ones people still find annoying. Some, like the profile page, would be too big a change and to be honest I like it. The funny thing is that the last board had a similar feature but it was an option; with the new board you have no choice.

Second box? I only can see it by clicking on the magnifying glass. And I would rather have it on the main page (maybe instead of the 'views' count which I don't find really useful). But that's just my opinion!

I'm not sure who's confused! So you don't mean this?

post-1554-12798004757.jpg

I'm not sure who's confused! So you don't mean this?

Oh yeah, sorry, that's exactly what I meant! This Last Active info used to be out there on the members list, now it's only available upon clicking on the magnifying glass by each member's name. I just thought it was useful to have it on the main search page (like it was before the upgrade) instead of within the magnifying glass window.

4817546339_21bca923d1_z.jpg

Oh yeah, sorry, that's exactly what I meant! This Last Active info used to be out there on the members list, now it's only available upon clicking on the magnifying glass by each member's name. I just thought it was useful to have it on the main search page (like it was before the upgrade) instead of within the magnifying glass window.

:tongue: It seems we were both confused; especially me. Yeah I agree; "views" there is a worthless stat.

Sorry for bumping this topic, but I have a question about the new PM system.

At the top of a PM conversation, there's a little box that shows the participants of the conversation. I'm guessing this means you can have three or more people in a conversation now (which is useful, to say the least, especially for forum games). In fact, I think I've seen one conversation where there was three people able to view it. My question is, how do you start or join a conversation with more than two people? Does it work like the CC ability, only granted to Fellows and Staff (and under special circumstances, other members)?

At the top of a PM conversation, there's a little box that shows the participants of the conversation. I'm guessing this means you can have three or more people in a conversation now (which is useful, to say the least, especially for forum games). In fact, I think I've seen one conversation where there was three people able to view it. My question is, how do you start or join a conversation with more than two people? Does it work like the CC ability, only granted to Fellows and Staff (and under special circumstances, other members)?

This is a new feature that came with upgrade. Till now we have restricted the feature to staff and fellows because we don't want the creation of "private forums" with only limited groups of people. We might re-evaluate this in the future and open the feature to more groups, but this is not yet decided.

I'm trying to send a reply in a Conversation, but it says it can't send it due to the 'Array'. What do I need to do? I never had this problem before the upgrade...

'The following errors were found

Array

This personal message has not been sent'

This comes up after I hit the 'Send' buttton thus redirecting me to the 'Edit Message' page. :sceptic:

Then when I edit it, it says NO_EDIT_PERMISSION.

Help! :cry_sad:

Nevermind. I got rid of some of the quotes and I could send it. :thumbup:

Edited by Jammiedodger714

I cannot access my messenger on the Ipad or on my phone as when I select the drop down menu it links straight to my profile page. Is there any way I can acess it another way without receiving a PM?

I cannot access my messenger on the Ipad or on my phone as when I select the drop down menu it links straight to my profile page. Is there any way I can acess it another way without receiving a PM?

I don't have an official solution but I could share a tip with you. Don't read an unimportant PM and used it as a gateway to read the rest of your PMs via the outstanding number of PMs upon login. As long you don't read it, you will be able to gain access to the rest of your conversations. Hope it helps.

Option 1: Avoid Apple products. It works just find in my Android phone... :devil:

Option 2: Use this link and add it to your bookmarks.

What's up with the public/private poll options? Where would we need private polls here? I was thinking for contests, but even that seems unnecessary with the post-vote method.