This looks like the best Technic set we've gotten in several years, probably the best since 8455. Your review certainly did it justice. The design of the drivetrain is awesome and feels like something you would see in an AFOL-built MOC. :sweet:

How much did the set cost you? I don't think the US price was ever confirmed on EB. I'll get it at Brickfair in a month to get the discounts there.

I also like how you organized the parts neatly before starting to build. I do the same thing with these large sets.

This final image shows how the model compares to a couple of other recent excavators.

It's interestingly not a whole lot larger than 8294, despite being far more functional and sophisticated. I always like to see such models that pack lots of mechanisms into a moderate space.

See the blue pin going through LA casing? I thought this was an ilegal method....

You're right, I'm surprised they did that. TLG is usually a lot more particular about this today than they once were.

You're right, I'm surprised they did that. TLG is usually a lot more particular about this today than they once were.

I still don't understand what you guys are talking about with the Blue pin and what is so wrong with what they did.

I still don't understand what you guys are talking about with the Blue pin and what is so wrong with what they did.

The blue pin is sitting halfway between the yellow beam, so it hasn't actually clicked into place there. This means that it's permanently in compression, so it will get deformed over time.

This could have been fixed by using two half-width liftarms stacked on each other, but the full-width beam has no notch inside the hole for the pin to lock onto.

The blue pin is sitting halfway between the yellow beam, so it hasn't actually clicked into place there. This means that it's permanently in compression, so it will get deformed over time.

This could have been fixed by using two half-width liftarms stacked on each other, but the full-width beam has no notch inside the hole for the pin to lock onto.

The pin in the actuator base? Isn't the pin clicked onto the other side of the Gray actuator piece? I have this same set up right in front of me and the pin is clicked on the other side just fine. It doesn't look like it is sitting halfway through to me. Here is a photo where you can plainly see the pin clicked the whole way through. Or are you guys talking about something else?

dsc_2670.jpg

Edited by TechnicJuan

The pin in the actuator base? Isn't the pin clicked onto the other side of the Gray actuator piece? I have this same set up right in front of me and the pin is clicked on the other side just fine. It doesn't look like it is sitting halfway through to me. Here is a photo where you can plainly see the pin clicked the whole way through. Or are you guys talking about something else?

dsc_2669.jpg

i see what you mean, it doesnt fit right in the way its mounted on this picture - on the double-length og the blue pin, there's a (i dont know what you call it in english :s - just like the one in each end, which clicks, when it fits correctly) and this is sitting in the middel of the yellow liftarm, which means that its compressed all the time, like cp5670 says. it would be the same if you push a pin only halfway through a liftarm - it doesnt click.

i hope this make sence, my english isnt the best :s

This is a far better solution than what the designers of the 8258 crane truck did. Remember how they used the friction pins with stops and just had them pushed in and they didn't actually click on anything? And then they rubbed the inner axle? You guys are talking about compression like the model is going to collapse. Doesn't that axle with stop also offer support?

Not only that, but the Actuator base is flush with the liftarm. Without a doubt, this piece was made to be mounted exactly like they have it here.

This is a far better solution than what the designers of the 8258 crane truck did. Remember how they used the friction pins with stops and just had them pushed in and they didn't actually click on anything? And then they rubbed the inner axle? You guys are talking about compression like the model is going to collapse. Doesn't that axle with stop also offer support?

Not only that, but the Actuator base is flush with the liftarm. Without a doubt, this piece was made to be mounted exactly like they have it here.

Ok, I think I may see what you guys are talking about. Is it the bump in th blue pin that is in the center of the liftarm instead of the whole way through it? And this will actually deform the pin over time? I didn't realise that. I know I have seen this from Lego in the past though using pins with stops holding together a thin liftarm-a thick liftarm-a thin liftarm.

As always, an excellent review which confirms how awesome this set is. Thanks Blakbird :classic:

dsc_2669.jpg

i see what you mean, it doesnt fit right in the way its mounted on this picture - on the double-length og the blue pin, there's a (i dont know what you call it in english :s - just like the one in each end, which clicks, when it fits correctly) and this is sitting in the middel of the yellow liftarm, which means that its compressed all the time, like cp5670 says. it would be the same if you push a pin only halfway through a liftarm - it doesnt click.

i hope this make sence, my english isnt the best :s

I don't see any problem, see attached image, created with LDD. The technic pin is displaced about 1/2 stud, but it does fit.

post-11912-127875239438.jpg

Have I overseen something?

Edited by eMHa

The point is that the three-studs long blue technic pin is compressed in the middle.

If this is a pin:

_
________| |________ ________
|        | |        |        | 
>        | |        |        <  
|________| |________|________|      
        |_|        |
                   | 
                  Here 

If that part is compressed for a long time, the plastic may not spring back later, because it's been permanenty damaged.

The point is that the three-studs long blue technic pin is compressed in the middle.

If this is a pin:

_
________| |________ ________
|        | |        |        | 
>        | |        |        <  
|________| |________|________|      
        |_|        |
                   | 
                  Here 

If that part is compressed for a long time, the plastic may not spring back later, because it's been permanenty damaged.

Ah, now I see. LDD also won't let me connect a beam to this. Thank you.

I can't understand why folks are worried about a $0.02 Technic Pin, in a set that costs hundreds of dollars. Who cares if the $0.02 part gets permanently deformed? Replace it in a few years with the extras everyone has on hand, and move on. The set has been described as possibly being the BEST TECHNIC SET EVER, but it may not be perfect. The TLG designer(s) of this set must be shaking their heads in dismay at the PICKINESS folks have about one little, inconsequential part.

Blakbird, Sariel, Conchas, and the other Lego Technic Designers ( http://technic.lego.com/en-us/Designers/Bios/Default.aspx ) got advance copies of the set to create some "buzz" about them. All of their observations are very helpful to make a choice about whether or not to get this set. Their verdict: Get It! :classic:

Anyway, recommend that AFOLs and TFOLs buy this set WITHIN WEEKS of it becoming available in your country. Like the Crane Truck, it is likely to sell out quickly. Vendors who can afford it will be buying crates full of these, and hawking them to stragglers later at much higher prices (on eBay, Bricklink, etc.). :sceptic:

Thanks for this great review, BlakBird!

Right now there are only two questions about this set on my mind - when will it be available in Portugal, and whether I should buy only one :grin:

This looks like a fantastic set! I'm going to have to pick this one up. Thanks for the pictures Blakbird!

Edited by dhc6twinotter

Thankyou for a great review blackbird, i'm more impressed by this set every time I see it, not enought to spend £140 on it but i'm still impressed.

Great review... a definite buy. What makes this set really great?

Functionality?

Lots of pieces?

Look and Feel?

Technic gears?

Learning new technic ideas for your own models?

The Crane Truck had good look, feel, playability and interesting building techniques. Similarly with Bulldozer. The Excavator brings this to a new level. But in the end, the flagships seem to combine these main features, (above) and could therefore encompass many different ideas.

Speculation: An RC car with gearbox and lights. However PF functions with speed control make the use of a gearbox more redundant.

Yeah but wouldn't you prefere a cool gear box than some boring electronic speed control? I know I would. I think that if they want to keep taking things to new levels then, for flagship sets, IMHO they need to move away from RC toys and concentrate on authentisity and realism.

I can't understand why folks are worried about a $0.02 Technic Pin, in a set that costs hundreds of dollars. Who cares if the $0.02 part gets permanently deformed? Replace it in a few years with the extras everyone has on hand, and move on. The set has been described as possibly being the BEST TECHNIC SET EVER, but it may not be perfect. The TLG designer(s) of this set must be shaking their heads in dismay at the PICKINESS folks have about one little, inconsequential part.

There are many other pieces you could have said the same thing about at one point, but which are difficult/expensive to come by today. You never know how long a given piece will remain in production and thus be "inconsequential." I'll just replace it with an equivalent legal assembly, which I have done in a few other sets in the past.

It's certainly a very minor issue though and doesn't detract from the model. Nobody was claiming otherwise.

Blakbird, Sariel, Conchas, and the other Lego Technic Designers ( http://technic.lego....os/Default.aspx ) got advance copies of the set to create some "buzz" about them. All of their observations are very helpful to make a choice about whether or not to get this set. Their verdict: Get It! :classic:

Cool, it's nice to see that TLG officially recognizes you guys in some capacity. :classic:

I'm excited but worried that TLG will not bring this set to Canada, just like the Crane Truck....

Hi,

[..]

calm down ;-) It's just about that TLG is very picky about their parts put together correctly. And for me it's good to know TLG will put pieces together in a way they don't recommend. So this finding is only an excuse to myself if I put the parts together in a way it's not recommended. :-D

And for sure, I'll buy this set! No one has to convince me since I saw the first pictures of it! :wub:

Great review. I've just bought it from MK shop, the price tag was £10.00 more than Shop At Home :hmpf_bad: , after I've shown them a copy of Shop At Home website with correct price, I've got it for the same price. :sweet:

I'm not sure if it a wrong price but all the other technic are the same price as Shop At Home apart 8043.

It sitting on a table and about to get open and built.....

Dan

There are many other pieces you could have said the same thing about at one point, but which are difficult/expensive to come by today. You never know how long a given piece will remain in production and thus be "inconsequential." I'll just replace it with an equivalent legal assembly, which I have done in a few other sets in the past.

This could be simply remedied with a 3L Axle with stop/stud, Axle connector, 3L Axle with stop/stud.

First let me thank Blakbird for this great review.

Next, I just want to say something about the comment on the 4L stop axle

... The real treasure is the 4L stop axle though. This has only appeared in 2 sets before. In my copious collection of over a quarter of a million Technic parts, I had only 2 of this part. This set adds 26 more to my collection!!

Actually, based on Peeron there is only 2 sets and a total of 6 of those 4L stop axles, but there's at least one parts list missing on Peeron for the set 8049 (Tractor with log loader) , and this set has 9 of those 4L stop axles.

If I guess right, you sure have one 8049 set also, so you sure have more of those parts than you thought you had. :wink:

Cumps

PS:

I forgot to ask, those who have the set, how is with changing batteryes? And do they last long?

I don't know about the batteries lifetime, but about changing them, you can see how to in Sariel's video (@1.43 minutes). Thanks to him too.

Edited by Mortymore

That new 4L stop axle is in at least 20 sets right now.

Well... the list at Bricklink isn't correct either, since they list sets yet to be released (correction: I think some sets are actually freshly available but only in S@H UK), but observing it, I believe that Blakbird may have 2 more parts from the 8041 Race Truck, since I believe he has all Technic sets, and may not have those from other themes. :tongue:

cumps

Edited by Mortymore