CarrollFilms

Brickworld 2010 review and videos

Brickworld 2010 wasn't as great as Brickworld 2009, sure 2010 had some big, and cool layouts, but where were the giant 13 foot skyscrapers, 20 foot crane, Nxt slot machines, The Great Ball contraption? Where is all it? all i saw were a bunch of small MOC's except for 9, including layouts. With 2011 (the 5th anniversary) who knows what will be there and how many attendes, I for one am part of a LUG and Brickworld 2011 will be our first time apperance. We want to at least get all of our tables registered and have a spot.

Sure there were a few good MOCS, but what happened? Either the creators decided not to go to BW 2010 because of better ideas, and they are working on their MOC. Or they registered but didn't get a spot, I don't know, I only had 2 tables this year and I got a spot. hmm, i hope BW 2011 is way better than this year, and some how better than 2009. Oh and there is a contest AGAIN, for World of Lights. (lights all over your MOC's or layout) You must have sound with your lights for BW 2011, it should be fun since we already got a preview from some guy that had sound with his layout but it was SOO annoying...

My review of BW 2010, 4/5

videos to Brickworld 2010

FYI this is not me filming. Also this is only 1 of 6 parts of the convention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7NRDuYNbzw&feature=related

Once you get to the train ride it is very long.

Edited by CarrollFilms

Good point. It at least belongs in the dedicated Brickworld forum.

oops....i didn't know about that topic until just now. sorry :look:

Brickworld 2010 wasn't as great as Brickworld 2009, sure 2010 had some big, and cool layouts, but where were the giant 13 foot skyscrapers, 20 foot crane, Nxt slot machines, The Great Ball contraption? Where is all it? all i saw were a bunch of small MOC's except for 9, including layouts. With 2011 (the 5th anniversary) who knows what will be there and how many attendes, I for one am part of a LUG and Brickworld 2011 will be our first time apperance. We want to at least get all of our tables registered and have a spot.

Sure there were a few good MOCS, but what happened? Either the creators decided not to go to BW 2010 because of better ideas, and they are working on their MOC. Or they registered but didn't get a spot, I don't know, I only had 2 tables this year and I got a spot. hmm, i hope BW 2011 is way better than this year, and some how better than 2009. Oh and there is a contest AGAIN, for World of Lights. (lights all over your MOC's or layout) You must have sound with your lights for BW 2011, it should be fun since we already got a preview from some guy that had sound with his layout but it was SOO annoying...

My review of BW 2010, 3/5

Well, sorry to hear you had such a shitty time. :hmpf: As for the skyscrapers...Adam decided not to bring them to allow other people more room to display. I for one thought that was pretty nice of him. In terms of the GBC...you clearly didn't make it to the River Room where Monster Chess was...because GBC was there as well. And speaking of Monster Chess...how does it get more epic than that? Seriously...if you thought 2010 was not as good as 2009, you must not have made it around to see everything.

I thought the caliber of MOC's was better this year than in 2009...but that's just my opinion.

My review of Brickworld 2010 4.8/5 (0.2 point deduction for the setup SNAFU by the hotel).

-Davey

Well, sorry to hear you had such a shitty time. :hmpf:

I didn't have a shitty time at all Dave, I just wish there were some bigger layouts. I just liked the big layouts, because there was always something new to see, other than NILTC. I remember at 09 there were 3 LUG's there (TOT-Lug, MICHLUG, INDY LUG) But I still liked going, monster chess was good, I watched about 10 minutes though. When I think about it there were quite a few good MOCS,like wayne manor, Matrix buildings, space music base, giant plane. Yea, Brickworld 2010 was worth 4/5 just wish there were more ballrooms, for more MOC's/ LUG's

It is interesting how we build something up in our minds only to be disappointed later. That sounds like what happened here.

Brickworld 2009 had its displays and its personality. Personally, I would be disappointed if the event looked the same every year. It was wonderful to me to have so many fresh displays. But, just to touch on a couple of specifics mentioned because they involve me personally:

1) I was one of the "inventors" of the GBC back in January 2005. Honestly, most of us that started the GBC have moved on to other things (like Monster Chess). Like all Mindstorms displays, the GBC needs constant monitoring. So, it is tough to do a big GBC along with competitions and other fun creations like Monster Chess. So, Monster Chess was fresh. And, there was a GBC that contained many new modules from new people - which is great.

2) Adam's buildings. Adam and I run Brickworld. The event has become big enough that Adam can't spend a full day of his time just to set up his buildings. We have all seen them. So, it isn't too big of a deal to us. And, quite frankly, there wasn't any space left this year anyway. So, I don't know where we would have put the buildings.

3) World of Lights will refresh next year as some people choose to add sound effects. Sound effects aren't required. They are just another twist to the fun; designed to help people expand their creativity.

As with anything in life, Brickworld is what you make of it. Some years will be more exciting than others. But I would never compare one year directly to another. If I did, I would say things like:

2010 used 5,000 square feet more display space than 2009

2010 had 230 more registered attendees than 2009

2010 had more presentations and classes than 2009

2010 had many brand new displays

All I can say for sure is that I had fun!!

Bryan

I didn't have a shitty time at all Dave, I just wish there were some bigger layouts. I just liked the big layouts, because there was always something new to see, other than NILTC. I remember at 09 there were 3 LUG's there (TOT-Lug, MICHLUG, INDY LUG) But I still liked going, monster chess was good, I watched about 10 minutes though. When I think about it there were quite a few good MOCS,like wayne manor, Matrix buildings, space music base, giant plane. Yea, Brickworld 2010 was worth 4/5 just wish there were more ballrooms, for more MOC's/ LUG's

Sorry Sean. I probably jumped on you more there than I should have. :blush: My biggest issue is that the attendees (all 790+ of them in 2010) put so much time and effort into painting the canvas that is Brickworld and I don't like to see their efforts marginalized...especially when this year was absolutely bigger than 2009. I would ask you to do two things.

1) Try not to get hung up on huge displays and layouts. Some of the coolest MOC's out there are less than 8x8 studs. Get out there and learn to appreciate the small details. In the end...the small details are what make large layouts and creations interesting.

2) Think about your fellow attendees before making comments like this. I know you were an exhibitor this year as well and I ask you to think about how you would feel if somebody was marginalizing the display that you poured your heart into.

Now that we're past that...let's look forward to how we can make Brickworld 2011 even better than 2010! I'll be excited to see what your LUG comes up with in the next 11 months. :classic:

-Davey

p.s. Your pictures from BW are great! I love the ones of 'Max'. :laugh:

Thank you Davey and Bryan for showing how each year has gotten better. I for one had a great time! I think the direction that Brickworld is heading by being fresh and new each year is refreshing. If we displayed the same thing year after year, people would miss the point of Brickworld and LEGO in general. Each year I have tried to bring something different to show what an individual builder can accomplish. Some of the local LUG's have asked me to join, but for now I like to show what I can do on my own. My train layout this year was well received by all and has inspired me to create a more elaborate layout for next year. I hope that others will continue to be inspired and not bored each year.

A special note for Adam: I did miss your buildings this year, it was the first thing I saw when I attended the first Brickworld. I appreciate your sacrifice to bring more space to others this year and thank you.