Swash Buckler

Wedge Antilles' X-Wing starfighter

gallery_101_23_281.gif

One of the most classic starcrafts ever- X-Wing fighter! My custom version... this one is Wedge's :classic:

But just by changing the pilot,droid and stripes it can belong to anyone...

12749855942_DISPLAY.jpg

12749855953_DISPLAY.jpg

12749855921_DISPLAY.jpg

setlike scene i made with mechanics and stuff- i hope TLG will redo X-wing as gray -like (I think) it should be... i didn't like the white one much :sceptic:

More pictures hereX-Wing (Wedge's)

Nice job!

Looks great! maybe you can make Rogue Squadron!

heh, yeah. it would be interesting to see Corran Horn's X-wing done up.

Looks great! maybe you can make Rogue Squadron!

I would need more X-wings and I don't have so much parts... but i would love to do whole squadron...

The X-wing starfighter has always been my favorite Star Wars fighter, and I'm always interested when someone makes an X-wing MOC.

I noticed in the first picture that you included the little offset part on the side of the fuselage (even though it's kind of in the wrong place.). I think it's great that you put in something that so many others have omitted. Grey is, of course, probably the best color available in LEGO to depict an X-wing in (the real model is more of a dirty white), so good job with that.

Now this next section is going to sound a bit nitpicky, but I've always been taught to provide constructive criticism on LEGO forums, and I study reference pics, so...

First off, you very conspicuously omitted the hexagonal cross section of the nose. But I'll let that slide since it's near impossible to execute correctly in LEGO.

Kudos for using the Red Two markings on Wedge's X-wing (unlike LEGO). They look cool, especially since you made the upper red part extend right up to the edge of the wing like it should.

As for the wing itself, the part of the wing that is perpendicular to the fuselage is a bit too big; the "flat" region should only continue from the fuselage to the far edge of the booster. After that, the sloped region begins; because the slope is a bit offset from the main region, many builders tend to place the wing plates so that they are one stud behind the flat region. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at Bruce Lowell's X-wing.)

As nice as the laser cannons look, they really should be quite bigger. I would suggest removing the second axle link piece on the cannon and using 2x2 round bricks for the part of the cannon mounted on the wing. But I really like the creative use of the flick-fire missile pieces!!!

Another thing - great job including the T shape inside the air intakes. But they don't line up with the edge of the wing - they actually go past (about a stud or two) and stop just behind the astromech droid socket rather than surrrounding it. In other words, not only are the engines too short, the entire rear fuselage is a bit compressed.

And something of a pet peeve to me - the "cargo bay" section on the underside of your X-wing is, like the 7191 UCS X-wing, misplaced forward. It should begin just before the canopy stops.These X-wing schematics should give you the idea.

And a very easy way to fix that gap between the wings - build two pairs of wings like the top ones, then attach one pair upside down. (I can tell by the angle and the gap that click hinges allow your X-wing to switch to attack position - in which case a mod like this should be simple.)

Just ONE more thing - I usually don't comment on landing gear (since I don't think it was even on the X-wing models used in the Death Star scene) but the rear landing gear isn't part of the rear fuselage - it actually comes from inside the boosters on the bottom of the X-wing...

Overall a very unique and nice-looking model of one of the best science-fiction concepts in history. And I know from experience that designing and building any Star Wars ship with 200+ pieces is quite tedious - I admire the amount of effort you put into this X-wing. (I can nitpick all I want, but it's not like I can put everything I just wrote above into one of my X-wings...) Looking forward to more of your models.

Edited by fallenangel327

Thanks for sharing this MOC Swash Buckler! This IMO is a very accurate minifig scale MOC. I love that you used the bley and how you designated Wedge's X-wing. A squadron would look great but this is a great representation of an iconic starship. I hope that if Lego releases another X-wing they take a look at yours as a design!

The X-wing starfighter has always been my favorite Star Wars fighter, and I'm always interested when someone makes an X-wing MOC.

I noticed in the first picture that you included the little offset part on the side of the fuselage (even though it's kind of in the wrong place.). I think it's great that you put in something that so many others have omitted. Grey is, of course, probably the best color available in LEGO to depict an X-wing in (the real model is more of a dirty white), so good job with that.

Now this next section is going to sound a bit nitpicky, but I've always been taught to provide constructive criticism on LEGO forums, and I study reference pics, so...

First off, you very conspicuously omitted the hexagonal cross section of the nose. But I'll let that slide since it's near impossible to execute correctly in LEGO.

Kudos for using the Red Two markings on Wedge's X-wing (unlike LEGO). They look cool, especially since you made the upper red part extend right up to the edge of the wing like it should.

As for the wing itself, the part of the wing that is perpendicular to the fuselage is a bit too big; the "flat" region should only continue from the fuselage to the far edge of the booster. After that, the sloped region begins; because the slope is a bit offset from the main region, many builders tend to place the wing plates so that they are one stud behind the flat region. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, look at Bruce Lowell's X-wing.)

As nice as the laser cannons look, they really should be quite bigger. I would suggest removing the second axle link piece on the cannon and using 2x2 round bricks for the part of the cannon mounted on the wing. But I really like the creative use of the flick-fire missile pieces!!!

Another thing - great job including the T shape inside the air intakes. But they don't line up with the edge of the wing - they actually go past (about a stud or two) and stop just behind the astromech droid socket rather than surrrounding it. In other words, not only are the engines too short, the entire rear fuselage is a bit compressed.

And something of a pet peeve to me - the "cargo bay" section on the underside of your X-wing is, like the 7191 UCS X-wing, misplaced forward. It should begin just before the canopy stops.These X-wing schematics should give you the idea.

And a very easy way to fix that gap between the wings - build two pairs of wings like the top ones, then attach one pair upside down. (I can tell by the angle and the gap that click hinges allow your X-wing to switch to attack position - in which case a mod like this should be simple.)

Just ONE more thing - I usually don't comment on landing gear (since I don't think it was even on the X-wing models used in the Death Star scene) but the rear landing gear isn't part of the rear fuselage - it actually comes from inside the boosters on the bottom of the X-wing...

Overall a very unique and nice-looking model of one of the best science-fiction concepts in history. And I know from experience that designing and building any Star Wars ship with 200+ pieces is quite tedious - I admire the amount of effort you put into this X-wing. (I can nitpick all I want, but it's not like I can put everything I just wrote above into one of my X-wings...) Looking forward to more of your models.

Thanks for constructive critisism most of that was just like i though too but i couldn't solve the problems so i let them be because they weren't that big- first of all i cannot build perfect X-wing because lego didn't ever make one :hmpf_bad: - i am not happy with cockpit for example it's not accurate- and so are the engines (thats why those sizeproblems- lego engines and wings don't match perfectly :sceptic:

I actually used very same schematics -and i disagree about the lasers- they are almost exactly as long as they should be (very near at least)- and as you pointed out lego bricks have that weakness that you cannot build all shapes exactly right like hexagonal nose :hmpf: so i made compromises and used design inspired by TLG:s official hoth X-wing...

And I'm not happy with landing gear either but i couldn't find a way to make it come from boosters- and not make it removable- i wanted it to be part of X-wing instead of being additional part (how can you land if you need to build landing gear when in flight? :laugh:

cargo space was not good because i lacked parts for it- legos official has too big cargo hold and it was white... :hmpf:

X-wings in movies are almost white but so are Stardestroyers (and Ties in ep4) they just don't look good as white (plus on hoth frost made them look even more white) And at last as good as those old models in OT are- they have problems in movies itself- so no one cannot build exact model- for example i noticed that red stripe is quite a big continuity error in Ep4 especially in Luke's X-wing.... it is complete long stripe when he leaves the hangar, complete when he flies with red squadron, complete when he attacks Death Star... but then suddenly during the Trench run it is discontinuous and parted in two sections.... and after battle is continuous again....

In ESB it's discontinuos though... but this is Wedge's so i didn't care of that stripe and i made it complete...

Looks good and you got Wedge's red 2 ship designation correct as well! For some reason Lego thinks Wedge piloted red 3. :hmpf:

It's because the set was from ep5 and in ep5 Wedge is designated Rogue3 so they thought he was also Red 3 at the time... but in battle of Yavin he was red 2, biggs was red 3... but star wars has infamous errors in movies about designations (like Red leader saying gold five to be gold leader and Wedge gives orders to green leader in ep6 and calls him red 2 :wacko: )

Great work on this X-Wing, Swash Buckler

I really like it, much better than the version Lego produced, and it's in gray also much better than in white.

Well done, :thumbup:

the Inventor

AWESOME 'Swash Buckler' - fantastic job designing a fresh X-wing for Wedge. :yoda:

A whole Rouge Squadron would be a dream come true - I used to love reading the series of novels on Rouge Squadron where Wedge is now a general.

I can see why though you have used 2x2 radar dishes as flashback arresters on the laser cannons - Lego don't seem to make the right parts eh ?

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough Swash Buckler - I wasn't referring to the lengths of the laser cannons. (In fact, I praise you for making them the correct length.) I was referring to the diameter of the section of the laser cannons mounted on the wing. I know Bruce Lowell and others use 1x1 round bricks, but they just look too small. One of many reasons Brian Tobin's X-wing is my favorite LEGO X-wing is because he used 2x2 round bricks on his, they capture the shape really well.

You made a good point on removable landing gear - there really isn't any point to it unless it's actually on the ship.

I actually developed a really accurate way for retractable rear landing gear a few months back but it can only be used for brickbuilt 4x4 engines since the official "Star Wars engine" isn't hollow in the middle. (4x4 is more of a correct size for X-wing boosters anyway IMO.) I can PM a general description to you if you would like...

If the 6x12 wing piece is disagreeable with the rest of your ship, I've found that this piece or this piece may work better - Brian Tobin and Bruce Lowell both used 2x4 wing plates on their X-wings.

If this helps, this piece actually captures the shape of the cargo bay quite well and it should be a really common piece. Although if you want it to store something, the best solution is angled plates.

I don't recall ever seeing a white Star Destroyer...

Some alternates to the official Star Wars X-wing canopy piece:

Baronsat's larger X-wing...

and his smaller one.

mikepsiaki's amazing brick-built version.

roguebantha's is also good.

You can also go the way of Brian Tobin's Millennium Falcon and omit the canopy, but that's rather difficult.

Agreed - the LEGO white just doesn't look good for X-wings unless you throw in a bunch of grey pieces here and there.

I think the red stripe is supposed to vary for each X-wing - the reason all the X-wings in the Yavin hangar have the same markings is because they multiplied a single image while they were producing the film. In the film, the helmets also have the same issue. :tongue:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough Swash Buckler - I wasn't referring to the lengths of the laser cannons. (In fact, I praise you for making them the correct length.) I was referring to the diameter of the section of the laser cannons mounted on the wing. I know Bruce Lowell and others use 1x1 round bricks, but they just look too small. One of many reasons Brian Tobin's X-wing is my favorite LEGO X-wing is because he used 2x2 round bricks on his, they capture the shape really well.

You made a good point on removable landing gear - there really isn't any point to it unless it's actually on the ship.

I actually developed a really accurate way for retractable rear landing gear a few months back but it can only be used for brickbuilt 4x4 engines since the official "Star Wars engine" isn't hollow in the middle. (4x4 is more of a correct size for X-wing boosters anyway IMO.) I can PM a general description to you if you would like...

If the 6x12 wing piece is disagreeable with the rest of your ship, I've found that this piece or this piece may work better - Brian Tobin and Bruce Lowell both used 2x4 wing plates on their X-wings.

If this helps, this piece actually captures the shape of the cargo bay quite well and it should be a really common piece. Although if you want it to store something, the best solution is angled plates.

I don't recall ever seeing a white Star Destroyer...

Some alternates to the official Star Wars X-wing canopy piece:

Baronsat's larger X-wing...

and his smaller one.

mikepsiaki's amazing brick-built version.

roguebantha's is also good.

You can also go the way of Brian Tobin's Millennium Falcon and omit the canopy, but that's rather difficult.

Agreed - the LEGO white just doesn't look good for X-wings unless you throw in a bunch of grey pieces here and there.

I think the red stripe is supposed to vary for each X-wing - the reason all the X-wings in the Yavin hangar have the same markings is because they multiplied a single image while they were producing the film. In the film, the helmets also have the same issue. :tongue:

Good points there- but seems that i cannot get into peeron right now so i cannot check the cargohold piece :hmpf_bad: is there any other pictures i don't know what piece it is- i know those wings though- and i have them- i considered them but i needed them elsewhere- that's why i used those... and i have actually seen a white lego stardestroyer...somewhere... :look: Lucas should really correct those little mistakes with CGI- that would make old battles even better :yoda: - shouldn't be too hard since he already changed some scenes quite a bit... anyway thanks for good points i may use some ideas but not right now- perhaps my X-wing give someone ideas to build a perfect one :laugh:

The 'cargohold' piece I was referring to is merely the humble 2x2 45 inverted slope brick. The 3x2 33 inverted slope brick works just as well. Some people don't know this, but the piece that LEGO used for the cargo bay - the 4x4 triple inverted wedge - is completely off, as is the 4x7x1 2/3 windscreen piece (the "X-wing" canopy). The shape isn't like that at all. Screenshots from the Death Star run as well as the "told you I did, reckless is he" scene from Empire show that the shape is far more similar to the common inverted slope.

I'd have to disagree on that one - Lucas should never have approved the "enhancement" of the Original Trilogy with CGI in the first place. And the amount of CGI used in the Prequels serve only as an excuse to act out terrible scriptwriting.

Y'know, I just noticed that you signed up like 10 months after I did but have about 5 times as many posts. :wacko:

The 'cargohold' piece I was referring to is merely the humble 2x2 45 inverted slope brick. The 3x2 33 inverted slope brick works just as well. Some people don't know this, but the piece that LEGO used for the cargo bay - the 4x4 triple inverted wedge - is completely off, as is the 4x7x1 2/3 windscreen piece (the "X-wing" canopy). The shape isn't like that at all. Screenshots from the Death Star run as well as the "told you I did, reckless is he" scene from Empire show that the shape is far more similar to the common inverted slope.

I'd have to disagree on that one - Lucas should never have approved the "enhancement" of the Original Trilogy with CGI in the first place. And the amount of CGI used in the Prequels serve only as an excuse to act out terrible scriptwriting.

Not again! :sing: I hate the fact that always when talking about Star Wars we sooner or later end up into "Originals versus prequels -scenario" :oh3:

Damn it- they are all part of same saga- there is no need to compare them... it's like comparing liquorice to chocolate- someone likes both of them someone hates another.... you cannot compare them i would say (and i like both- chocolate is better though :grin: ) ok that was your opinion- i disagree -no need to argue any further....

I just think enhancements are good thing- Lucas should enhance both trilogies- unfortunately nothing can correct that bad acting and directing in prequels (it's not scriptwriting i think it's directing) some of those enhancements in OT were unecessary and odd (like Greedo shooting first :wacko: it didn't change the outcome) but some were definitely needed (Emperor- original was so bad :sick:) but i'm just that perfectionist that i would like to see all movie mistakes corrected if possible :laugh:

And about that piece well... you're right ...but i think one "Wedge" is enough for this X-wing :laugh:

Great job, you nailed the coloring.

Glad to see a proper wedge X-wing.