56 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding!

indexed.gif

My second review of the Kingdoms collection is definitely a sweat set. 7950 Knight's Showdown is the smallest of the collection (not counting the impulse sets/figs).

00.jpg

Set Name: Knight's Showdown

Set #: 7950

Theme: Castle

Subtheme: Kingdoms

Year Released: 2010

Pieces: 61

Minifigs: 2

Price: $6.99 (USD) at TRU

I must say that I love the new Kingdoms boxart. The colors are a nice blend of blue sky, lime green fields, with darker green grass.

Here's the back of the boxas the two knights duel it out with their short swords:

01.jpg

The set has two small bags inside:

02.jpg

These figs are a little different than those contained in the Prison Tower. The green knight looks a bit like a dungeon master with his black and grey armor design. The only green is the plume on his bucket helmet. Aren't the bucket helmets awesome?

03.jpg

Taking them off to look at the knights' faces closer, I swear I've seen the face of the red knight before. I can't say that I like the old helmet style of the red knight:

04.jpg

Aside from the figs, this set includes the catapult:

05.jpg

and a small sword rack (note: furnishings for the prison tower)

06.jpg

The catapult design is simple yet effective, and one can attach shields to each side. Unfortunately, only one red knight's shield is included. I think the sword rack is just a little extra that was thrown in for a bonus.

A picture of the complete set:

07.jpg

and the extra pieces (note: the round 1x1s are the projectiles for the catapult):

08.jpg

My green army is slowly getting larger:

09.jpg

Thoughts

Knight's Showdown is a great little starter set to provide you with an introduction to the Kingdoms theme. It's probably not the best army builder, but a few of these sets certainly help the cause. The catapult design is nice and while it moves pretty well with the barrel lid wheels, the catapult itself seems a bit small (and short). Not much more to say other than I would definitely buy this again; in fact I may buy a couple extra. Now I plan to open the prison carriage to add to my green army. I'll post a picture once I have a few more figs. I'm looking forward to the troop packs.

Thanks for this review too!

A nice little set worth getting two of, but I still think every Fantasy era counterpart looks better than the corresponding Kingdoms set.

Woo! This set is a must get for me. I love it.

First off, the figs are fantastic. I love how the dragon knight looks totally serious, but without the helmet he's just having fun. :laugh: The printing and designs are amazing. I do love how they've kept the old grilled helmet design. As much as I love the bucket helm, I'd be disappointed if it had completely replaced the old grilled helm. And of course it's great to have plumage back.

The accessories are nice. I'm glad the catapult isn't planted to the ground like in most small sets like this. The wheels make it much better. And as you mentioned, the sword rack would definitely look nice in the prison tower, liven the place up a bit. :grin:

Well, thank you very much for this great review, TheBrickster! I can't wait for this set.

~Peace

Thanks for the review 'The Brickster' - COOL set - cheap but still packed with bits, these will sell well for kids birthday present's easy ! :grin:

Excellent figures !

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Thank you for the review. I like this set, the catapult is pretty neat. I would've liked black or dark grey hands for the Lion knight to represent gloves/gauntlet, but that is easily fixed. :classic:

I was hesitant about buying this set. I don't like that the red knight has one of those horrendous old grill helmets. But I might just pick it up now, the pieces will help furnish the prison tower set.

Thanks for the review, looks like a great little set. I will pick up one or two no doubt !

The Knights showdown. The only biggest difference is not having any steed on either sides. Oh well, this set is a little costly but I agreed that this set is a nice starter for any new Castle collectors whom want to try out on this theme, plus this is one of the most affordable option to grab that new Great Helm headpiece. If I compare this with the 7009 Royal Joust, this is not very attractive, but then again, being a Castle collector, this set is still a much decent looking army builder set along with some useful parts. :sweet:

Gosh, not another catapult.:D Though I guess this set is more about the minifigs. I rate this average as I don't like the chain-heavy torso of the green knight.

And I have to agree with WhiteFang that 7009 was a whole lot better for a very similar price.

I can't speak on this as compared to the older sets as I have none yet. However. I really love this set. I like the bucket helm. What is the difference between that and a barrel helm? Are they the same and just forms of Great helms?

I plan on getting at least two more. I want to try and only focus on three themes. This being one of them.

Edited by Legononymous

Great Review B :thumbup:

These kingdoms sets are just like pirates, great accessories and great small army building sets :cry_happy:

This one is no exception. Army of catapults on battle line a must :grin:

Probably will not buy this one but instead the prison cart.

Rated "Above average"

Probably will not buy this one but instead the prison cart.

Ya, I think the Prison Cart is a better set as well. This set will most likely be around half the price ($5 USD) in most stores. TRU always jacks up their prices. I actually want a $5 set with about three figs for the value. All of these Kingdoms sets seem to be limited on the figs (esp. the Dragon Knights).

Thanks for this review Brickster.

This is a decent little set that's both fun by itself, or integrated with some of the larger sets in the Kingdoms line.

Whenever I see this set, I can't help but think of the scene from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly when Tuco is trying to flee to the cemetery and Blondie uses a cannon on him a couple of times. As seen starting about 6:30 into the video here

I just got this set and the white parts of the torso of the lion solider are pink. Anyone else have this problem in this set?

Are we talking about real PINK here, or a pink-ish white? If it is actually really pink, you should contact the customer service. If it's just a pinkish shade, i wouldn't bother much about it i guess. That's because of the red plastic under the white print.

Aren't the bucket helmets awesome?

Yes. Yes they are :sweet:

Thanks for the great review Brickster. I'm not usually into castle themes, but I've gotta admit that these Kingdoms sets are really tempting me. My poor poor wallet :laugh:

Are we talking about real PINK here, or a pink-ish white? If it is actually really pink, you should contact the customer service. If it's just a pinkish shade, i wouldn't bother much about it i guess. That's because of the red plastic under the white print.

Well, its just the red torso coming through the white paint but I think it looks really bad. I'm thinking of holding off buying the big caste set in hopes that maybe LEGO will improve the quality of the paint in this set in the future.

I'm commenting as well about the lion torso being pink where it should be white. It's a lot closer to pink then it is white and I have five sets. I'm too picky.

Update! Just opened two new sets and the torsos are white where they are supposed to be white. Seems the previous problem is fixed.

Edited by Legononymous

I just got this set along with the Wizard yesterday... I ended up getting 2 extra plumes for the helmets (2 red 2 green). I think it was only supposed to include 2 not 4? either way I was happy used them on a ship I was converting last night.

I ended up getting 2 extra plumes for the helmets (2 red 2 green). I think it was only supposed to include 2 not 4? either way I was happy used them on a ship I was converting last night.

I got 2 extra plumes too. This is very strange, because if you look at the Review, there are no extra plumes in his set. But I like the extra plumes, which can be used for converting the outpost tower into a dragon knights tower, for giving the black knight in the advent calendar a plume, so he can be a green knight oder just for replacing lost plumes.

BTW: I got a red extra plume in the "Prison Carriage" set. Are we getting every plume twice?

Edited by josykay

I got 2 extra plumes too. This is very strange, because if you look at the Review, there are no extra plumes in his set. But I like the extra plumes, which can be used for converting the outpost tower into a dragon knights tower, for giving the black knight in the advent calendar a plume, so he can be a green knight oder just for replacing lost plumes.

BTW: I got a red extra plume in the "Prison Carriage" set. Are we getting every plume twice?

Nope, I only got one in that set. Looks like it is a matter of luck. I'll take it.