Strategos

WIP Privateer

That look like a stunning rigging :thumbup: , could we please have some more pics? :pir-classic:

I also like the figurehead and the headrails; I haven't seen better brickbuilt ones! :pir-wub:

The masts look a bit clumsy though...

The decision to expand to 5 midsections really paid off, it looks much better and also sleeker now! :pir-sweet:

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions! The model has definitely improved as a result.

@the_green_avenger: I'm using SNOT 1x1 plates with eyebolts to suggest deadeyes, sorry the picture's a bit blurry.

@Fires-storm: I'm happy to let anyone copy any of my techniques, you certainly don't need my permission! And speaking of copying:

@Perfectionist: Thanks for the praise! Could you explain a bit what you mean by the masts? Also, I saw the stern of Achille and I was blown away, very nice work indeed. I tried your trick with the hose on my own stern and I think it looks much better than before:

12747056591_DISPLAY.jpg

You can remove the windows and part of the deck to see the stern cabin:

12747056592_DISPLAY.jpg

I'll put some additional pics up once I've completed more of the rigging (I'm really not looking forward to the ratlines...)

@Perfectionist: Thanks for the praise! Could you explain a bit what you mean by the masts? Also, I saw the stern of Achille and I was blown away, very nice work indeed. I tried your trick with the hose on my own stern and I think it looks much better than before:

Thanks, I'm glad you like the Achille. However I have rebuild it so it will look much different (6 midsections now) and also used a new mast design. I'll post some pics when I have a proper camera, which hopefully will be around mid June.

To your stern:

The hose adds something indeed, I esspecially like how the two gunports are directly under it which is very realistic! I'm amazed by how low your topdeck is!

Making the stern narrower by 2 studs compared to the MLCAD version also was a good choice! It integrates much better into the hull now!

Actually your stern has always looked good, but it's even better now!

To the masts:

I feel that their 2nd and 3rd section is too thick because of the use of prefabs. Also they may be a little too low; just look at USS Constitution and how high her masts are!

Since your into rigging now it's too late to change that but this is what I think masts should look like:

dsc04397.jpg

It's the "Vesta" by our frontpage blogger Admiral Croissant! It feautures an amazingly detailed rigging too!

I've also based my new mast design on the Achille on it, but using some different techniques! :pir-classic:

Edited by Perfectionist

Fantastic ship! I'm very impressed with the headrails, they look great. The rigging is coming along very well also. Will you be tying or gluing the ratlines? I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

-Swab