NXT boat

1.jpg

I'm aware of that it isn't beautiful moc but the goal was to build the lightweight construction rather than good looking one. Even now it weights more than 1 kg.

Thanks to remote controll by mobile phone with Bluetooth it can sail far (about 50 meters) from the shore without risking losing control. Steering has defined endpoints and "center" function. Propusion has only forward/backward on 100% power functions.

3.jpg_thumb.jpg

The boat is quite stable and turns well. It could be a bit faster but even now it in fun to play with. The farthest I sailed it was about 10 meters because I couldn't clearly see what is happening with it and I was afraid that it could sink...

6.jpg_thumb.jpg

If I'll be building a new boat I'll put in it more powerful motors and bigger screw propellers.

Multimedia

BS gallery

Very cool!

I like these unusual mocs!

I am eager to see next, more powered version, but this one is very nice!

This is a pretty unique model. :thumbup: It moves quite smoothly and is faster than I would have thought from the size of the propellors.

In the third picture, have you covered up the NXT by something to keep it watertight?

This sure is a unique model, certainly the first I've seen. Aren't you scared of it sinking or water splashing in? Personally I'd be too scared to even try it out in the bathtub :tongue:

Can't wait to see subsequent versions of this very interesting concept :thumbup:

This sure is a unique model, certainly the first I've seen. Aren't you scared of it sinking or water splashing in? Personally I'd be too scared to even try it out in the bathtub :tongue:

For me I would be too scared to have it floating on water at all!

Generally the NXT is one of the most expensive parts in the Lego universe. I would certainly not want that to drown.

Thanks for showing this extraordinary MOC! I once tried the cell phone remote thing as well, but then it was a car. :laugh:

In the third picture, have you covered up the NXT by something to keep it watertight?

Yes, I've put the brick into the zip-lock bag to protect it from water drops, but after sailing the bag was completely dry, so it was unnecessary. Other thing is that the bag wouldn't make the brick waterproof because it couldn't be locked because of protruding cables.

Atr, if you were attending the BrickMagic Lego Show in Raleigh, North Carolina USA this weekend, your boat MOC could compete in their Lego Boat Race: http://www.brickmagic.org/view/info/BoatRace/

I'd love to go there but I'm afraid that I don't get there on time :) Funny thing is that my boat is accidentally 100% consistent with their rules because the only non-Lego-elements I use are tape and zip-lock bag which are allowed.

Very impressive MOC, I like it!

What is the reason you choose NXT instead of PF remote control elements? Control range?

Very impressive MOC, I like it!

What is the reason you choose NXT instead of PF remote control elements? Control range?

Yes, the main reason is control range, and then more precise steering.

That kind of stuff makes me wonder why he doesn't just machine the entire thing out of metal.

That kind of stuff makes me wonder why he doesn't just machine the entire thing out of metal.

I am totally with you on this...

Using Inanimate Reason's RC Servo Adapter Kit allows one to (1) Operate outside without IR interference from the sun, (2) Operate in ranges greater than 10 meters (33 feet), which is the limit for Power Functions transmitters, and (3) Operate more than 4 RC vehicles at the same time.

Just switch a few things around and you'll have POWER GALORE to go through the water!

Leaving aside the fact that we are heading a bit OT (including me), there are clearly two schools of thought, one would rather stick to plastic and TLC parts and the other will pull in all sort of components from modeling world.

Personally I think that the performance of the boat will clearly improve with some NON TLC part (see engine or propellers, there are no real efficient water propeller out there), also aluminum parts can help in getting that little stiffness required sometimes in chassis etc. ...

Overall i would not demonize completely the NON TLC parts especially when they are completely compatible or when they dramatically improve the playability/performance...

mu opinion.