WesternOutlaw

Toy Story 7597 Western Train Chase

4357165491_8f4716e8e6.jpg

On this picture you can see black "train grill" just the same like in this red Toy Story train :)

If it's the same piece, nice reuse of a part that seemed created for one specific use only.

Are you sure that's the same piece? They look different, more thin.

Looks the same to me, we're just seeing it from underneath here.

Thanks for sharing the link ML. It's definitely a much better quality picture. :wub:

Oh, and welcome to Train Tech. :thumbup: Please share some information about your LEGO train interest in the registry.

As others have said, it's got plenty of handy parts, particularly the red wheels for steam locos from mainland Europe. Notice how the driving wheels have no traction tyres though. There's potential for modification there too. I can't help but wonder if an M-size PF motor might go in a tweaked, cut-down cab. Couple the wheels and connect them to modified cylinders, build a small double bogie tender and get cracking on some small bogie coaches!

I think the most interesting aspect is the shorter length of the train cars. Many of the smaller wagons from the 9V train era (as well as 12V) utilized a standard 16-stud length. If you notice, the wagons in this set are just 14-studs in length, and have a 6-brick height (as opposed to 5). This gives the overall train a much shorter, but taller look. I think it adds to the "more playful" design. I still like it though, and think the Passenger Wagon looks interesting. I'd like to see the chair arrangement inside. The colors and roof design look nice - and it looks as if the roof comes off easily (adding to the playability level).

Also, as DaCheese mentions above, mod'ing it to include a motor would be interesting. Perhaps I'll try slapping a 9-volt motor on mine after building - maybe even adding a small tender that might be easier to attach a motor.

The only issue with the red wheels is that you get the flanged drivers only and not the blind drivers (which are only known to exist in black)

The only issue with the red wheels is that you get the flanged drivers only and not the blind drivers (which are only known to exist in black)

True - after looking at the wheels again, I notice that it almost looks like the flanged wheel assembly may turn; which would resolve issues with movement on curves. I had the issue with my recent Steam Locomotive.

True, but Ben offers large red blind drivers. Granted there are no counter weights on Ben's Large Drivers (the XL ones have the counterweights).

While LEGO may not make blind drivers in red, it would be entirely possible to use the Red LEGO Flanged Drivers with Ben's Red Blind Drivers. The only reason to go that route (that I can see) would be to use Power Functions to power the drivers and use the red traction bands with the red LEGO drivers. If you weren't going to use PF to power the drivers, then I'd just get a set of Ben's Flanged and Blind drivers. That way all of the wheels would match (counterweight wise).

At the recent Bricks by the Bay Lego Convention in Fremont, CA I got to build this set at the Lego booth. There were two packages with two flanged and one blind driver in red in package #5. Just like the black ones in Emerald Night. The blind drivers are not used in the set. The best part was when I finished I asked the Lego employee what to do with the extra parts and he told me to put them in my pocket. So now I have a pair of blind drivers in red.

Bruce

True - after looking at the wheels again, I notice that it almost looks like the flanged wheel assembly may turn; which would resolve issues with movement on curves. I had the issue with my recent Steam Locomotive.

I built this set at the Lego Booth this last weekend at the Bricks by the Bay Lego Convention in Fremont, CA. The four wheel front truck pivots as does the four wheel driver assembly. The cow catcher is six studs wide , there is no dark red in the set, and the passenger car windows are regular green.

Bruce

I know I'm different than other folks, but I like this set essentially as-is (although waiting for a picture of the final version). I'd likely buy this set just for display purposes.

But I'm wondering why the Toy Story train makes it in this forum, but people don't like considering the Hogwarts Express a "real" train.

I have grown up with Toy Story when I was a boy and I own all of the movies. It's great to see the minifigs of Rex and Hamm. It sort of looks like Hamm is wearing a bowler hat.

The engine looks a bit akward and too tall. The coaches look nice. And I may have seen something like that Toy Story train in a Toy Story 3 promo.

and the passenger car windows are regular green.

Oh, that's disappointing. I thought they were dark green like those from the Grand Emporium.

But I'm wondering why the Toy Story train makes it in this forum, but people don't like considering the Hogwarts Express a "real" train.

This is a train forum so they both have a topic here in Train Tech. You can find a link to the HP train discussion in the Index as well.

This is a train forum so they both have a topic here in Train Tech. You can find a link to the HP train discussion in the Index as well.

Oh... yeah, I know, but the sentiment is there... like when people are listing their trains, they always put some sort of caveat with the HP train.

The more I look at this one, though, the more I like the way it's a caricature of a "real" train, which I guess is what it's supposed to be, being a "toy" of a toy in an animated movie. I think I've convinced myself to get it just for the shelf.

I know I'm different than other folks, but I like this set essentially as-is (although waiting for a picture of the final version). I'd likely buy this set just for display purposes.

From my perspective neither train is interesting as is, but this one has red drivers, and if it does include extra blind drivers as reported above in the production set then it becomes highly usefull to every German steam train builder. I really hope the

blind drivers are included, it will turn this into a must get for me.

The Hogwarts Express is dissapointing because it is essentially a rehash of the older one, there is no wow factor, no new parts, not much to get excitied by even as a parts pack. Since its a licenced set then its also likely to be a more expensive set, so not even a cheap way to get basic train parts. Unless your a real Harry Potter fan I cant see why you'd get that train rather than wait for the new town trains that are comming.

I'm with peterab here. Very happy to hear that the blind drivers come in the set, that makes it a must-have for me.

The problem with the HP train for me is that it doesn't look like a proper train. It looks like one of those trains in theme parks that drive around on tires. I had really hoped that with the availability of the new train wheels Lego would do a proper steam train for the Hogwarts Express.

Hi all,

I've just realised that the inventory for the Toy Story Western Train 7597 is available:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=7597-1

It's good to see some cool parts in colors which have not been available before:

6259.gif

never seen in black before ...

50746.gif

12 of them in green!

80201.jpg

red cow catcher

61068.jpg

4x Red Slope, Curved 2 x 4 x 2/3 No Studs

85489a.jpg

2x red blind drivers (same as in Emerald Night, but red!)

85489b.jpg

4x red drivers (same as in Emerald Night, but red!)

55423.jpg

4x little red train wheel with axle hole

Instructions als PDF are available via brickset.com:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7597-1

Looking forward to get this set!

Holger

I suspect (given that this set contains the blind drivers when it doesn't use them and given the numbers molded into both parts) that the both the flanged and blind drivers are in the same mould with a 2:1 ratio (2 flanged to 1 blind)

As far as I know there is one mold for the big train wheels which molds 4x flanged and 2x blinds in one production run. All 6 elements automatically are packed in one polybag.

(This was proven by the LugBulk orders at various LUGs where the black wheels were only available as pre-packed polybag with 4+2 wheels.)

I would say, this would not be changed for the red wheels, even if the blind red wheel is not used for the Toy Story Western Train steamer.

Holger

I've just realised that the inventory for the Toy Story Western Train 7597 is available:

I've merged your topic w/ this discussion of the Toy Story Train.

As far as I know there is one mold for the big train wheels which molds 4x flanged and 2x blinds in one production run. All 6 elements automatically are packed in one polybag.

(This was proven by the LugBulk orders at various LUGs where the black wheels were only available as pre-packed polybag with 4+2 wheels.)

I would say, this would not be changed for the red wheels, even if the blind red wheel is not used for the Toy Story Western Train steamer.

Holger

It's much easier. Just look at the element number on both wheels :-)

For those of you lucky enough to read this before Toys R Us closes head on over and pick up this set for $59.99. It is sold out online but the store by me did a price match.