General Redwater

General Redwater`s guide to bayonets.

Hello, welcome to General Redwater`s guide to bayonets. You are about to learn how to put a bayonet on a weapon and how to charge. So without further delay........................................

(text at bottom of picture)

lego424_001.jpg

Hello, and welcome to this guide.

Today we have one of our soldiers from the ranks to demonstrate to us a bayonet.

lego424_002.jpg

We are going to use a Brickarms combat knife as a bayonet; since the new bayonet isn`t out yet.

lego424_003.jpg

Our proud soldier stands at attention, and awaits orders.

FIX YOUR BAYONETS!

lego424_004.jpg

As the order is given the soldier takes his bayonet out of the pack.

lego424_005.jpg

He brings it up..........

lego424_006.jpg

......and places it on his weapon.

lego424_007.jpg

Then he places his weapon on his shoulder.

CHARGE YOUR BAYONETS!

Once again as the order is given the soldier acts quickly.

lego424_008.jpg

He takes his weapon from his shoulder and............................

lego424_009.jpg

........puts it in his other hand; and brings it down near his waist.

Now that fixing and presenting his bayonet is done, lets see how well he does in the field.

lego424_010.jpg

I have never seen a more doomed Bluecoat. :pir_laugh2:

lego424_011.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this presention. :pir-sweet:

-

General Redwater

Edited by General Redwater

Nice guide,but think almost every soldier knows how to fix a bayonet.

Edited by hawkrider

Nice guide ,but think almIost every soldier knows how to fix a bayonet.

This is for all the Bluecoats to learn how. :pir_laugh2:

-

General Redwater

That was rather funny, whats with the ladies standing by Commodore and me? :pir_laugh2:

That was rather funny, whats with the ladies standing by Commodore and me? :pir_laugh2:

I think I did it to make my sigfig look embarrased, and for a good laugh. :pir_laugh2: I hope you don`t mind though.

-

General Redwater

although the secound last picture is just before the bluecoat does a backflip kicks the redcoat in the face grabs his gun and kills him

If a Bluecoat did a backflip with a bayonet pointed at his throat( like in the picture ) he would probably impale himself. :pir_laugh2:

-

General Redwater

Ne, i see at Hornbricker is there too :pir-classic: exept at that shouldet thing (i forget the name) should been whte. but thats nice MOC/Rewier

Captain Becker

I hope you don`t mind though.

Of course I don't mind.

It had the desired effect on me...I laughed.

I snickered.

This is for all the Bluecoats to learn how. :pir_laugh2:

-

General Redwater

We don't need them they just make it harder to reload. so while the lobsters are stabbing themselves and shooting randomly out in the open we're shooting behind covered trees. :pir_laugh2:

If a Bluecoat did a backflip with a bayonet pointed at his throat( like in the picture ) he would probably impale himself. :pir_laugh2:

-

General Redwater

ATLEAST he died killing a redcoat.

Funny and informative! The "bayonetting-as-spectator-sport" had me chuckling for more than bit! :pir_laugh2:

A question to you and other Pirate fans out there: I noticed in these shots you positioned the bayonet such that it was mounted to the side of the musket rather than under the barrel. Was this type of placement more common than others in one or more eras? I've tried to do a bit of research but haven't found anything definitive.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!

A question to you and other Pirate fans out there: I noticed in these shots you positioned the bayonet such that it was mounted to the side of the musket rather than under the barrel. Was this type of placement more common than others in one or more eras? I've tried to do a bit of research but haven't found anything definitive.

The bayonet in colonial period to napoleonic period was placed on the side of the barrel of the musket. It was because it would slide into place and than fixed permanently until physically taken off. There was a notch on the top of the barrel that would fit into a hole on the bayonet, then they would slide the bayonet downward so the bayonet coudn`t be taken off unless turned clockwise.

I hope this helps. :pir-sweet:

-

General Redwater

The bayonet in colonial period to napoleonic period was placed on the side of the barrel of the musket. It was because it would slide into place and than fixed permanently until physically taken off. There was a notch on the top of the barrel that would fit into a hole on the bayonet, then they would slide the bayonet downward so the bayonet coudn`t be taken off unless turned clockwise.

Interesting. Thanks for the information, and again, nice work on this tutorial!

Interesting. Thanks for the information, and again, nice work on this tutorial!

Thanks, I`m glad to help. :pir-classic:

-

General Redwater

Funny and informative! The "bayonetting-as-spectator-sport" had me chuckling for more than bit! :pir_laugh2:

Yes, as said before, the "socket bayonet" is at the side of the musket. I believe the earlier bayonets were fixed under the musket, but it was later moved to the side as it proved to be an obstacle in loading the musket. Here is a quick picture evolution of the bayonet:

The first bayonets were quite crude, actually. They were the "plug bayonets", in which the soldier basically stuffed a knife in the barrel and that created the long pike. However, it did plug the musket, so they couldn't fire the weapon.

17th%20Century%20Plug%20Bayonet.jpg

Next came the ring bayonet, which was a vast improvement of the previous one. For one, it did not hinder the barrel from being blocked, so it could still be fired. It, like the plug bayonet, was short lived, however. It was attached with two rings sliding on the barrel, sort of like modern knife bayonets.

Turkey%20twin%20ring%20ersatz%20straight%20cross%20guard.jpg

Then came the socket bayonet, the most successful of these "old" bayonets. With a triangular blade, a long barrel with zig-zag cuts allowed it to be slipped over the barrel and slid into place. The front sight, or bayonet lug, would keep it in place. Not much later, though, a ring would further aid in securing the bayonet.

uk%201843%20blade%20socket.jpg

Showing the lug:

p53nose.jpg

mh1876b.jpg

Hope this helps :pir-classic:

Wow! Thanks for sharing this interesting Guide/Tutorial with us. I really like it.

Wow! Thanks for sharing this interesting Guide/Tutorial with us. I really like it.

Thanks. :pir-sweet: I was just wondering, if you liked this guide, would you or others be interested in other guides?