Peppermint_M

Post about Cartoons and Anime you like

I'm way into anime and manga.

Always have been... I guess I never became a real adult or something, mentally. :(

Can't help but love shows like pokemon, sailor moon and dragonball (z).

Then again, I like more mature series as well, like Neon genesis Evangelion. Imo it's the best mecha ever, with a great story to tell, especially in the last episode. About how our very existence extends with the people we choose to be around us. At least, that was my interpretation.

Then we have Nausicaa, an epic story about a girl trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world, living in harmony with nature. It's Hayao Miyazaki's masterpiece, he spent ten years of his life drawing this series, and I'm not sure if I will ever read something so good again.

I like Love Wolf and cub, that's just a really good samurai manga.

And Buddha (by Osamu Tezuka), a manga about the life of buddha...it goes deep, and changed the way I look at the world.

At the moment I read 'Oishinbo', a manga about how to cook perfectly, with a great story to keep it interesting. And I read life, a serie about teenage school girls with a lot of serious problems... it's pulp but still love it. ^^

I'm not all that attached to the cartoons I grew up with (Transformers, Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, etc) because they don't hold up very well when viewed from grown-up eyes. The Warner Bros. and Disney stuff from the 30's to the 50's hold up really well. The first cartoon made after I was born (the 70s) that I think will be destined for greatness is Ren and Stimpy, and then the Simpsons.

The Simpsons today isn't all that exciting; decent but tired. Currently, I'm quite impressed with the Venture Bros, the Clone Was, and maybe that's it. I enjoyed the Spectacular Spider-Man when it aired. That was quite well done.

I really like a lot of Anime/manga. :grin:

I am currently watching one piece, Naruto and Bleach.

Other animes that I like are death note, avatar and Dragon ball/z/gt.

I'm not really into cartoons that much though.

I finished Lupin III (anime) a while ago and loved it. I was doing some research on my screenname character (Arsene Lupin) when i found out about this. Highly recomended, it reminded me a bit of Scooby Doo!

Hello there. :classic: I just wanted to talk about a cartoon I recently discovered. The series I'm talking about is "The Spectacular Spider-Man". I have tried watching previous Spider Man cartoons, but I could never really get into them for various reasons. This one however is a really good show! Very mature, with some very good animation! It has a good balance of action, humor, and drama. So far I have watched the first Season and each episode leaves me wanting more (which is a sign of a good TV show), even though I sometimes already know how a story is gonna end due to having seen the movies. The first season finale was the Venom story arc from the third movie, but it's a hundred times better than the movie (which as you probably know sucked unfortunately). I will start the second season soon. If you like Spider-Man (or superhero cartoons in general), I can highly recommend it to you! It is still undecided whether there will be a third season (I hope there will be news about that at Comic-Con). I read that it depends on the sales of the DVDs, so please go out and buy them if you are interested in order to support the continuation of this excellent series! If you choose not to, however, you can find all the episodes on YouTube currently. Note, though, that the series is a little different from the movies. For example, Peter can't make his own webs and relies on wrist-mounted gadgets to do it for him. Also, Norman Osborn is

not the original Green Goblin

. The series is very similar in tone to that of the movies though, and some aspects of it are almost identical, such as Spidey's origin story, so if you enjoyed the first two films, you will love this series! To me, it's one of my favorite superhero cartoons ever, along with BTAS, Batman Beyond, and Teen Titans! :thumbup:

@ def: I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it as well!

Agreed Oky, definitely a good cartoon series, unfortunately seems to be cancelled now. You will love season two, even better than the first and has some great surprises in the final story.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I really did like that series. I read pretty much all of the first 350 issues of Amazing Spider-man more than once for some of them, so I have a lot of affection for the era they were portraying in the show, and could appreciate that where they deviated from the book, it kept the spirit intact. There's nearly 50 years of history to the character ( :oh: ) so it's hard to satisfy all the people all the time. Spider-man 3 really mucked up the spirit of the story though. Spider-man is such a great character when people who understand him are writing him.

I love Anime/Manga, I read Manga books sometimes, but I'd rather watch the anime version.

My favorite animes are (in no order and just to list a few)

Dragonball Z

Tenchi Muyo (all movies and OVAs)

Hellsing Unlimited

Tokko

School Rumble

Blue Sub no.6

To Love Ru

Initial D

Yumeria

etc...

Only thing I dont like about anime is the DVDs are so darn expensive. :sceptic:

The Spectacular Spider-Man is my favorite. It got me completely hooked. Brilliant animation! Interesting plots too...it just never gets boring and I wish they would just go ahead with Season 3. :sad:

Danger-Mouse can't go wrong either, or Pinky and the Brain! :laugh: Best. Theme song. ever.

I love Anime/Manga, I read Manga books sometimes, but I'd rather watch the anime version.

School Rumble

Only thing I dont like about anime is the DVDs are so darn expensive. :sceptic:

School Rumble is one of my favorites!!! I just finished the '1st Semester' and the 'OVA'. Now I'm about 3-4 episodes into the second semester. :classic: I love all the characters in that show and it's nonstop hilarity. The series are expensive, but Amazon US just had a 50%-off sale on most of their Anime DVD's so I picked a bunch up during that. Some of the other ones I watch are...

Ah! My Goddess

Fruits Basket

Last Exile

Fullmetal Alchemist

Moonphase

Negima

Love Hina

Shuffle

Rumbling Hearts

Trinity Blood

Honey & Clover

I got into Anime and Manga when I started reading ShojoBeat magazine (which was discontinued in the US last year). I follow Vampire Night, Honey Hunt, Otomen, Death Note, and Honey & Clover in the Manga world.

-Davey

Agreed Oky, definitely a good cartoon series, unfortunately seems to be cancelled now.

Is that your own opinion or do you know this for sure? :look: I hope that's not the case... Anyway, good to see you and other people like it too. :thumbup:

Pinky and the Brain! :laugh: Best. Theme song. ever.

Indeed. :grin: Though the DuckTales one will always have a special place in my heart. :blush: The one of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command is also great.

Have you guys seen the teaser for the new Season of Futurama?

Pretty neat, eh? :grin: Consider me excited. The movies they made were kinda meh, but I think that's because there wasn't enough material to fill out the time. Futurama works best as 30 min episodes. Remember, the Season premiere is on June 24 at 10:00 PM on Comedy Central!

Speaking of comedy central, the new season of South Park is great! My favorite episode so far is Medicinal Fried Chicken. :laugh:

Anyone else excited for the new show on CN, "Generator Rex"? It's from the makers of Ben 10. While the current show, Ben 10 Alien Force may suck (with few exceptional episodes), the original Ben 10 show was pretty good IMO, and Rex seems to be much more in the spirit of that one. In fact, I could see a decent line of sets coming from it, with the show being based on machinery rather than aliens. It looks good, and I'll definitely give it a try. I mean, how can you go wrong with a monkey (or ape) and a secret agent as sidekicks? :tongue:

Is that your own opinion or do you know this for sure? :look: I hope that's not the case... Anyway, good to see you and other people like it too. :thumbup:

I know for sure that it has been officially stated as not receiving a third season as of a recent Comic-Con. However there is still a possibility, but don't hope too much as many of the people associated with the project are working on different ones now, including the headliner Greg Weismann.

Pretty neat, eh? :grin: Consider me excited. The movies they made were kinda meh, but I think that's because there wasn't enough material to fill out the time. Futurama works best as 30 min episodes. Remember, the Season premiere is on June 24 at 10:00 PM on Comedy Central!

Agreed, though I'd go as far as saying the films were downright terrible. I watched that teaser quite a while ago, but still very much looking forward to it.

Also, not really a cartoon or anime, but I very much enjoy the Internet Machnima series Red vs Blue, hilarious stuff with fantastic dialogue and quite a complex plot once the series gets rolling.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

My list could go on and on and on but ill try to keep it short.

Mighty mouse, Batman the animated series, Just about all of the original cartoon cartoon shows, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Chowder, Camp Lazlo, Samurai Jack, Half of the nickelodeon shows, The Clone wars, Justice League, Justice League unlimited, The Simpsons, Ben 10, Popeye, and tons of other old and new cartoons.

So mostly i choose for action and humor in cartoons.

Edit:More Cartoons added!

Edited by LegoGalactus

Hmm, I do really like South Park, an earlier episodes of Family Guy make me laugh aswell. Star Wars The Clone Wars also keeps me interested.

Do films count? Because I have alot of animated films I like.

Animated films can count if you like.

I have to say Phineas & Ferb is a great series. It's just so random and any cartoon with an animated version of Bowling for Soup featured is good in my book :thumbup: .

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Black Lagoon yet; it's a great pastiche of Hollywood action movies (sometimes almost-but-not-quite crossing over into outright parody), and it has one of the best English dubs I've ever heard in any anime. Be warned though, it's not even remotely child-friendly: the series is quite violent, and averages approximately 10.8 F-bombs per episode (and that's not counting the other profanities). It's well worth watching, though, if you're not bothered by those.

Other anime I've found good includes Cowboy Bebop (highly enjoyable sci-fi show, one of the greatest anime classics) and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (easily rivals the best of cyberpunk literature) as my all-time favourites, and, in no particular order of fondness, Gurren-Lagann (so over-the-top ridiculous it wraps right back around to awesome), The Big O (starts out a bit formulaic, but turns into a great mindscrewy story halfway through... the noir style helps it stand out, too), Code Geass (has a few low points, but still a great action/drama series), Full Metal Panic (original season and Second Raid are pretty good mecha series, Fumoffu is nothing short of hilarious), Trigun (memorable space western), Neon Genesis Evangelion (mindscrew is through the roof, and seems fairly shallow at first, ends up being a chilling psychological drama... with mecha), Death Note (intense criminal drama/thriller with a little supernatural element thrown in), Samurai Champloo (funny and anachronistic samurai show from the creators of Cowboy Bebop), and Detroit Metal City (very NSFW, but parodies death/black metal bands quite entertainingly), off the top of my head.

As for Western cartoons... the list is a little shorter here, but some of these are no less outstanding. For example, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Gargoyles are both mature, epic stories, not even the least bit suffering from the childishness often associated (sometimes, as these examples show, mistakenly) with cartoons. Transformers: Beast Wars was also a surprisingly serious show, especially compared to the cheesy G1 cartoon, and the characters' facial animation is still quite decent despite the CGI being over ten years old. Megas XLR and Metalocalypse had me in stitches from beginning to end (or, well, to the current temporary hiatus in the latter's case). Extreme Ghostbusters had its moments, too. And while I haven't watched it yet, I've only heard good things about Batman: The Animated Series, and I recall that the few episodes I saw as a kid were, in fact, quite enjoyable.

That's about all I could come up with right now; I might edit this post later if something else pops into my head.

I've only heard good things about Batman: The Animated Series, and I recall that the few episodes I saw as a kid were, in fact, quite enjoyable.

Definitely give it a go, it is very, very good. Don't expect arcs or all stories to be good but it is amazing.

Other anime I've found good includes Cowboy Bebop (highly enjoyable sci-fi show, one of the greatest anime classics) and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (easily rivals the best of cyberpunk literature) as my all-time favourites, and, in no particular order of fondness, Gurren-Lagann (so over-the-top ridiculous it wraps right back around to awesome), The Big O (starts out a bit formulaic, but turns into a great mindscrewy story halfway through... the noir style helps it stand out, too), Code Geass (has a few low points, but still a great action/drama series), Full Metal Panic (original season and Second Raid are pretty good mecha series, Fumoffu is nothing short of hilarious), Trigun (memorable space western), Neon Genesis Evangelion (mindscrew is through the roof, and seems fairly shallow at first, ends up being a chilling psychological drama... with mecha), Death Note (intense criminal drama/thriller with a little supernatural element thrown in), Samurai Champloo (funny and anachronistic samurai show from the creators of Cowboy Bebop), and Detroit Metal City (very NSFW, but parodies death/black metal bands quite entertainingly), off the top of my head.

You've made like half a post and you're already one of my favourite members. Totally agreed on Cowboy Bebop, it is probably the biggest non shoenen oriented anime to draw in the western crowd. Samurai Champloo is a very fun, anachronistic series, both of these are on my shelf. I never cared for Trigun, it came across as overly preachy to me.

If there's one thing I would recommend though, it would be Monster:

monster.jpg

Look at me! Look at me! The monster inside of me has grown so big!

And I saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads, the names of blasphemy. And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, "Who is like unto the beast? Who is able to make war with him?"

Its 74 episodes but so very, very worth it. I can't even begin to think of another piece of fiction that rivals it in my books. It is my favourite piece of fiction EVER. It is the story of a Doctor who is demoted after choosing to save the life of young child - who had been shot in the head - over the Mayor who would have given grants to the hospital, and therefore is demoted and disgraced. Murders happen. It is intensely psychological, and I cannot think of another work that has been so thoroughly researched so as everything from language, culture (set in Germany), psychology are precise. There is a lot of darkness, but I love that it also does not wallow in it and become nihilistic. The dark is there for a reason and it is all about people being able to pull themselves out of it. I know I'm sounding like a madman desperately selling something, but it totally changed my entire view on storytelling.

Just don't look up spoilers.

-Batbrick

If there's one thing I would recommend though, it would be Monster

Oh, yeah, now that you mention it, I remember how much praise this series gets. Thanks for reminding me, I'm adding it to my need-to-watch list right away.

Oh, yeah, now that you mention it, I remember how much praise this series gets. Thanks for reminding me, I'm adding it to my need-to-watch list right away.

No, you'll be adding it to your watch-right-damn-now list :tongue:

But seriously, looking at your tastes, this'd be right up your alley. If you're anything like me though you'll spend ages promising yourself that this will be the "last episode before I go to sleep".

I believe the creator also made 20th Century Boys, which has also received massive praise. I've accidentally spoilered myself on it quite a bit and there's nothing I hate more than that. Hopefully that gets animated one day too.

-Batbrick

While I still like to watch the first season of Transformers for that shot of warm-fuzzy nostalgia, I tend towards the more mature cartoons. Most of what has been mentioned makes my list: Evangelion, Rahxephon (Evangelion wannabe), Cowboy Bebop, Full Metal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood, Deathnote(awesome), The Full Metal Panics, Last Exile (only got through half of it, but good story), GITS:SAC, Big O (the Japanese answer to Batman), Samurai Champloo, The Macross Saga, esp Plus (great stories with transforming jet fighters to boot). I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. I caught one ep of Monster, a midpoint episode, and I was intrigued. Will have to give it a watch. I also liked Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets, or G-Force in the USA), but the new ADV 70's slang laden dub leaves a little to be desired. G-Force had a lot of cool mecha, and the team were evocative of Batman with their gadgets and gliding abilities.

As for American animation, BTAS, Superman, Justice League, Beast Wars and Beast Machines, Spectacular Spiderman (Got it after reading so many positive reviews. Glad I did, very enjoyable), Gargoyles (highly underrated, esp by Disney), Mighty Orbots (little cheesy now, but still cool), Pole Position (great mature cartoon from the 80s, with some neat cars), and the Galaxy Rangers. Again, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. I also like Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon, Toy Story (so many great characters, and nostalgia through the roof), monsters Inc. Iron Giant, and the Incredibles are also excellent movies. Bolt was ok, but i think I would have like it more if the dog really had all his abilities and they built an Incredibles type story around it...the opening scenes were the best part of the movie, IMO.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Well I'm not sure this is classified as anime saying that it's only party animated but there is this great new web show by Doug TenNapel the creator of Earthworm Jim, The NeverhoOd, Catscratch, Sockbaby, And countless graphic novels called "Go Sukashi!" It's basically about a super hero who fights the hidden rectanguloids with his mighty sand dollar powers!

4254818942_8a055cccd7_o.jpg

Well, I just finished the second season of The Spectacular Spider Man, and it was great! The season finale, although not quite as awesome as the Venom one, was very good; I totally didn't see the twist coming! But it made me the more sad that it seems to be over now. It really makes me sad when great shows such as this get cancelled just because it wasn't aired at the right place and/or the right time. :sadnew: It also pisses me off how the Spider Man franchise keeps getting rebooted. It's part of why people are loosing interest, because there is no consistency in the continuity.

I have to say Phineas & Ferb is a great series. It's just so random and any cartoon with an animated version of Bowling for Soup featured is good in my book :thumbup: .

Agreed. The musical numbers in this show are great! My favorite, though, is still "Squirrels In My Pants". :laugh:

Anyone watch Thundercats?

Nope.

If there's one thing I would recommend though, it would be Monster: SNIP

So you're serious about this? :wacko: I thought that was just your cynical self talking again when you posted pics of a guy who looks like he is bored out of his mind in the Favorite Villains thread. After so much praise, I must admit I'm intrigued, but I'm not sure if I can sit through so much Anime. :sceptic:

Has anyone watched Generator Rex yet? It's not bad, though not great either. The story has potential, and the animation is pretty good. It's too early to tell if it's a good show or not, but it's definitely worth giving a try.

EDIT: Looks like you can watch the first 35 episodes of Monster on youtube, legally. LINK

By the way, the new season of The Boondocks is pretty good. :laugh:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

So you're serious about this? :wacko: I thought that was just your cynical self talking again when you posted pics of a guy who looks like he is bored out of his mind in the Favorite Villains thread. After so much praise, I must admit I'm intrigued, but I'm not sure if I can sit through so much Anime. :sceptic:

Trust me, I would never joke about one of best crafted pieces of fiction to ever grave paper or screen. I'd say give watching a shot, not sure its for you though Oky, as its a rather slow moving and introspective analysis of psychological themes, and as a watching experience certainly leaves one utterly exhausted, especially in the questions it poses and ambiguity.

Oh, and there's a reason he looks bored :wink:

And a nice little Monster quote to end on:

Look at me! Look at me! The Monster inside of me has grown so big!

EDIT: But don't watch the english dub, its pretty terrible and Johan's/The Nameless Monster's voice actor completely missed the point of the utterly serene and calm voice of the Japanses dub.

-Batbrick

Trust me, I would never joke about one of best crafted pieces of fiction to ever grave paper or screen. I'd say give watching a shot, not sure its for you though Oky, as its a rather slow moving and introspective analysis of psychological themes, and as a watching experience certainly leaves one utterly exhausted, especially in the questions it poses and ambiguity.

I've heard nothing but good things about Monster, and the author Naoki Urasawa's work. I picked up the first book of his 21st Century Boys and I've been reading it, and it's really nice. I generally dislike manga too and gave up on it a long time ago. But, the praise for his work, in Japan and in America was too much that I had to pick it up and check it out.

Maybe I'll check Monster, the anime out... But maybe I should read the manga first.