Superkalle

MOCs - a collection of...

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Here are a few of my MOCs. Designed in LDD - built in ABS.

Disney Time

Donald Duck & Co. I just love challenge of getting a look or expression with just a few pieces. I’m particularly happy with Goofy’s look.

Disney_LDD.jpg

Disney.jpg

R2D2 & C3PO

Well, nothing much to say. C3PO isn’t so good, but was the best I could do considering the scale. Special thanks to Ras74 for lending me a few of the pieces.

R2_LDD.jpg

R2.jpg

Stena Bulk Ship

Stena P-Max. A Stena Bulk ship in the P-series. http://www.stenabulk.com/en/Our-Fleet/The-...-concept/P-MAX/

P-Max_LDD.jpg

P-Max1.jpg

P-Max2.jpg

P-Max3.jpg

Stena Ferry

Stena Jutlandia. On traffic between Fredrikshavn, Denmark and Göteborg, Sweden. http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/ju...images/jut1.jpg

Jutlandica_LDD.jpg

Jutlandica.jpg

Radial Engine

Volvo Aero MY Radial Engine / Bristol Pegasus – License manufactured from Bristol Ltd starting 1936. Used in Fairly Swordfish among other planes. The propeller is a Volvo Aero propeller from 1941. The engine is built to scale with one exception, the original had 9 cylinders, which turned out to be to much of a challenge to do in Lego, so I cheated a bit and settled for 8.

Radial1.jpg

Radial2.jpg

Mack Cruiseliner 1975

4-stud wide 1975 Mack Cruiseliner in two different colors schemes. Oh yes, the inverted cheese slopes are built with legal building technique. It took me a while to figure it out. Others have probably done it before me, but it always a reward to figure things out for yourself.

Mack.jpg

Volvo Historic Vehicles

Volvos first truck, the LV72 from 1932 and first bus LV70B from 1932

VolvoHistoric.jpg

Lego color chart

Don’t know if this classifies as a MOC, but here it is. It was a lot of work with all the tiny stickers, but I think it was worth it in the end.

Luxury Yacht

Lazzara LSX75 with Quad Volvo Penta IPS 600 Engine installation. Built to scale. The original has a price tag of around 4 Million dollars. Lego is cheaper. :classic:

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/boat-tes...ra-lsx-quad-75/

Lazzara3.jpg

Lazzara4.jpg

Lazzara6.jpg

Lazzara8.jpg

Lazzara9.jpg

Lazzara10.jpg

The Moose

My contribution to the EB 2010 event.

pict0129.jpg

7628 MOD

Some small changes that I think make the DC3 much more realistic.

DC3.jpg

7628-0000-xx-33-4.jpg

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

Disney Time

Donald Duck & Co. I just love challenge of getting a look or expression with just a few pieces. I’m particularly happy with Goofy’s look.

Disney_LDD.jpg

Disney.jpg

Who is the guy at the end next to Scrooge McDuck?

And the color chart might be more useful in the appropriate thread.

Who is the guy at the end next to Scrooge McDuck?

And the color chart might be more useful in the appropriate thread.

Goofy.

These are awesome MOCs, especially all those ships :thumbup:

Excellent MOC's - great C3-PO and R2 plus sweet vehicles and boats !

AWESOME work in general 'superkalle' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Great stuff! I especially like your small vehicle collection. Lots of interesting techniques all around! :thumbup:

Really impressive models, superkalle! :cry_happy: I know it could sound weird but my favourite is, without doubt, the color chart one :thumbup:

It's one of the Beagle Boys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beagle_Boys

EDIT: which is the appropriate thread for the color chart?

I thought it might of been him or Peat(SP?).

As for the color chart thread I am not having much luck finding it, maybe someone smarter/luckier might be able to find it. It was the "Offical LEGO Color Chart".

EDIT: which is the approriate thread for the color chart?

This one, but you're already there! (on page 3) :grin:

All the MOCs that you've done look absolutely fantastic - they are incredibly detailed!

The mods that you've done to 4506 and 7628 are great as well.

I agree with everyone else; every single one of these MOCs are brilliant! The Disney characters are instantly recognizable, as with Artoo and Threepio, the bulk ship looks awesome in dark red (also, neat details on the back part!), the Volvo truck looks lovely, the color chart looks very useful (does the asterisk mean that the color is discontinued?), and that luxury yacht is amazing - you fit in so many details in a microscale vehicle! :oh:

All of the other MOCs I haven't commented on are brilliantly designed, too.

I think that you should've posted each in different topics - they're all deserving of their own. :thumbup:

Edited by ILikePi

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. !

I can also add that:

- All models are designed purely with Lego legal principles. i.e. only the ones allowed to the Lego designers in Billund

- I strive to make the cars and boats playable, i.e. will hold together also when my kids play with them. The challange is to get something that looks good AND is sturdy.

- I use only recently produced colors and common parts - no super rares ones.

@ samurai turtle: Yeah, the color chart had been posted before, but it was buried so deep down in another thread, I wanted to post it again in my own MOC thread.

@ ILikePi: yes, asterixes means the color is discontiuned

Edited by superkalle

Those Disney characters are superb! Donald Duck comics are a huge thing here in Finland, so everybody knows all the characters by heart, and you've really hit the nail with each of them. You're still missing Huey, Dewey and Louie out of the "main character" list, though. :wink:

Great looking MOC's... I think my favourites are the Disney characters and the ships... nice work!!

Pretty neat collection you have here; each one is good, but I especially like those tiny little Mack trucks. :D

Speaking of the trucks... I've been trying to figure out how you attached the upside-down slopes, and although I've found a possible solution (.LXF here), I'm quite certain it's not the one you used, and it's still driving me crazy. XD I give up, man. How did you do that? :D

Pretty neat collection you have here; each one is good, but I especially like those tiny little Mack trucks. :D

Speaking of the trucks... I've been trying to figure out how you attached the upside-down slopes, and although I've found a possible solution (.LXF here), I'm quite certain it's not the one you used, and it's still driving me crazy. XD I give up, man. How did you do that? :D

First, you're on the right track, that's one solution. Naturally another is not to use the "1x1 brick with vertical pin" at all, just letting the upside down pieces "float" interlocked inside the other bricks. That's a clever solution in one sense. But...it's not a Lego Legal building principle, so in my book it's not allowed. I strive to design models that Lego would say "Yes, we can put that in production - It's Lego Legal, it can withstand being played with, it can be built by a kid, it looks good and it only uses molds currently in production". Putting those constraints makes designing models much more difficult, and that's what I like.

Getting back to the Mack Truck - the problem with the solution in your LXF is that the back of the truck will look bad because the striping will be interrupted. Also, since you're using 1x4 tile, the stability will suffer. So, you need to come up with a solution that 1) allows striping all around, 2) ensures that the upside down parts are connected to the rest of the truck in some way that is Lego legal and 3) is sturdy enough. Now, the solution in your LXF IS Lego Legal, but then it was that thing with the striping :wink:. There are at least three other solutions. Keep trying and let's keep in touch.

First, you're on the right track, that's one solution. Naturally another is not to use the "1x1 brick with vertical pin" at all, just letting the upside down pieces "float" interlocked inside the other bricks. That's a clever solution in one sense. But...it's not a Lego Legal building principle, so in my book it's not allowed. I strive to design models that Lego would say "Yes, we can put that in production - It's Lego Legal, it can withstand being played with, it can be built by a kid, it looks good and it only uses molds currently in production". Putting those constraints makes designing models much more difficult, and that's what I like.

Getting back to the Mack Truck - the problem with the solution in your LXF is that the back of the truck will look bad because the striping will be interrupted. Also, since you're using 1x4 tile, the stability will suffer. So, you need to come up with a solution that 1) allows striping all around, 2) ensures that the upside down parts are connected to the rest of the truck in some way that is Lego legal and 3) is sturdy enough. Now, the solution in your LXF IS Lego Legal, but then it was that thing with the striping :wink:. There are at least three other solutions. Keep trying and let's keep in touch.

Right, I've just stumbled upon another possibility, although I'm not sure if it's Lego Legal - it does solve the striping issue, though. It involves simply pinning the upside-down assembly between a 1x2 tile below (colored yellow here to help it stand out), and a 2x3 plate above (removed for better visibility). Now, this isn't technically solidly connected, but the way the whole assembly wraps halfway around the grill should help keep it fairly sturdy, I think. No idea about the remaining two solutions yet, but I'll keep thinking about them.

(P.S.: the .LXF's been updated as well.)

Right, I've just stumbled upon another possibility, although I'm not sure if it's Lego Legal - it does solve the striping issue, though. It involves simply pinning the upside-down assembly between a 1x2 tile below (colored yellow here to help it stand out), and a 2x3 plate above (removed for better visibility). Now, this isn't technically solidly connected, but the way the whole assembly wraps halfway around the grill should help keep it fairly sturdy, I think. No idea about the remaining two solutions yet, but I'll keep thinking about them.

(P.S.: the .LXF's been updated as well.)

Well, yes that was the "floating" solution that I was talking about, but it's not Lego legal. And the stability will be OK, but not top notch. Look at the wheels holder plate and how it will hold up. Not good. Actually, the whole underside needs to be strenghtend to become Lego approved. So there are still at least three other ways to do it. Keep up the good work, and keep trying. If there is anyone else here at EB that wan'ts go give it a go, please do so.

What a superb collection - very impressive !

I have my own version of the colour chart (also using 2 x 2 tiles, except for Maersk Blue where a 2 x 2 tile isn't available) which I use for sorting pieces; in bad light it can be pretty difficult knowing if a piece is bley/MdStone or OldGray without a reference to compare it with, for instance.

Dr. D.

Edited by drdavewatford

Well, yes that was the "floating" solution that I was talking about, but it's not Lego legal. And the stability will be OK, but not top notch. Look at the wheels holder plate and how it will hold up. Not good. Actually, the whole underside needs to be strenghtend to become Lego approved. So there are still at least three other ways to do it. Keep up the good work, and keep trying. If there is anyone else here at EB that wan'ts go give it a go, please do so.

Oh, I see. I though by "floating", you meant exploiting LDD's virtual nature and using a physically impossible build, literally leaving that assembly floating in mid-air. Bit of linguistic confusion here, I guess - I would have used a term like "unconnected" to describe this, and automatically assumed you would too. Should have kept in mind that assuming makes an... well, you know the rest.

Still trying to figure out the remaining methods, BTW.

EDIT: By the way, is there a listing of Lego Legal/Illegal techniques somewhere? A quick forum and Google search didn't turn up anything.

Edited by SNobleJr