• Excellent!

4475548392_520d1ae6af.jpg

Theme: Prince of Persia - The Sands of Time

Set: 7571 Fight for the Dagger

Pieces: 258

Price: $US29.99; $CAD39.99

Resources: Shop @ Home, Bricklink, Brickset

Introduction

The mid-range set in the Prince of Persia line is a bustling market filled with danger and excitement! Will Dastan be able to capture the Dagger of Time from bling-magnet Asoka and his suppository-shaped hat? Will Tamina leap off the balcony of the tower onto a camel's back, or will it kick her while she's down? Will the Alamut merchant lower his already bargain prices on red cherries and green apples? Would anyone notice if you swapped Dastan and Tamina's hairpieces? Read on and find out!

** All pics link to high-res flickr versions for detail fans **

Box, Parts & Instructions

Bold and brassy box art with some Arabic architectural inspiration in the background. The Hassansin in the small set was flying in mid-air, and now Dastan too! Platform game toy brick adaptations from film licenses - it's a crazy world!

4475534672_9d48e25d8d.jpg

The side of the box gives us character names.

4474759053_f5db929681.jpg

The rear of the box shows the various set functions - camel labour, dagger-brandishing, and trapdoor-falling. I do love the dark red colour scheme they have with the box art pics in this theme.

4474757827_7536a402b8.jpg

The instruction manuals are really badly printed. I buy sets from the US and the European market, and the US instruction manuals are by far worse in terms of print quality and colour differentiation.

4474753957_e356e85454.jpg

Random instruction pages showing most of the building. It does remind me of those early Harry Potter sets that were all based around 8 x 17 bricks with staircases and traps and suchlike.

4474756111_ddaf17128a.jpg

We get 2 bags of parts and 1 separately bagged dark tan camel.

4475533016_ec681e269a.jpg

Wow! That's a lot of parts. The box art makes this set look kind of sparse but once you debag it you realise what treasure troves these Prince of Persia sets really are. There are *no* big BURPS or rock pieces or castle walls or large panels a la other themes. These are all pure bricky goodness, in useful colours, with some new and exciting parts!

4474755441_51cce7fc36.jpg

Gold, glorious gold! I adore the dome pieces. They just have a coppery, brassy gleam that is difficult to resist. Oddly, Asoka's pointed hat is a different shade of gold to the other pieces.

4474754813_79bcf79d31.jpg

The Dagger of Time is very detailed for such a small piece, especially with the difficult colour mix of having a splash of gold in the middle of the silver blade. A great piece.

4474754247_6d6a868481.jpg

We get twenty of the new arch pieces in Medium Nougat (screw Bricklink and its 2pid 'Medium Dark Flesh! :laugh:). Parts bonanza! I like that these new pieces are in quite common quantities so their Bricklink value won't climb too high.

4475536448_0781442fa8.jpg

Dark tan goodness.

4474761031_dafbb16160.jpg

The parts just keep on giving! Here I've pulled out plants, fruits, fish, meat, telescopes, the pannier, saddle, new whip, flame piece, white plume, weapons... Brilliant!

4475537748_cd937d171f.jpg

The rest of the parts - lots of tan corner pieces and round 2x2 bricks, and lots of the new 1x1 white brick modified with stud on one side. A great assortment!

4474762113_f4a6d9ce1f.jpg

Tamina has a cape and the new market canopy piece is in dark red.

4474762621_5f136e4ab8.jpg

The dark tan camel rocks! I love its sardonic, quizzical expression. I added my own dark tan 1x2 brick here - it isn't included in the set.

4474763249_8f00a417db.jpg

Rear view of the camel. Nice hump!

4475540290_731f870444.jpg

Minifigs!

The Alamut merchant has a white keffiyeh exclusive to this set. Asoka has an exclusive white plume and a touch of the bling everywhere else. Asoka's torso under the armour is identical to the merchant's.

4474764621_f48c159662.jpg

Back view of the minifigs. I like the keffiyeh a lot more than the silly looking turban we've had for years.

4474765323_d79338a20f.jpg

Grimacing Dastan and Tamina. Neither fig has back printing. I didn't realise Tamina had such a long ponytail until I saw the piece in person.

4474765791_afc892fd11.jpg

Back view, showing the curly wurly pony tail.

4475542314_11fc004575.jpg

With the hairpieces swapped. They're actually gender interchangeable!

I really like that Tamina has a 'cranky' expression rather than the usual 'terrified maiden' reverse face.

4475543236_ba3de3bf76.jpg

Our full cast of characters for this set.

4475543704_c93f008726.jpg

The build

The first part of the build is to enslave the camel. Poor camel! Boos! The boxes he carries contain jewels and cherries. It's Schrodinger's Camel - you are always uncertain which case contains the precious gems, and which container holds the stone fruit!

4474768217_79853cf2df.jpg

The merchant and his cart of wares. His merchandise is all vegetarian but here he's gnawing on a chicken leg. Maybe he's just taunting the camel.

4475545020_38192867ee.jpg

The build starts off simply enough. The bley Technic bricks allow rods to be inserted which when removed will activate the trapdoor in the centre and collapsing balcony function.

4475545606_ce77ac3511.jpg

The trapdoor in place in the centre and the detachable balcony submodel. When a Technic axle is pulled, the balcony will swing down.

4474769893_7f97b6c09c.jpg

The final model without all the accessories and minifigs. The early description posted on Amazon.com suggested this set could connect with the 7573 Battle of Alamut set but this doesn't seem to appear on the new S@H listing. I haven't built the big one yet so I am not sure if this still holds true.

4474770971_7ce1667fc0.jpg

Extra pieces.

4474771235_a9a41e699d_o.jpg

Finished Model

The finished model! It's a great little playset, nicely detailed with a few different play features. It certainly captures that 'exotic market' feel.

4475547964_52d8b47047.jpg

Another, more top-down view of the set.

4475549184_32bed7235d.jpg

A close-up of that shiny dome.

4474774773_e9ff2f17b2.jpg

Play-features activated! Asoka's spear and hat plume make him so bulky that it's actually kind of hard to fit him on top of the trapdoor, haha!

4475551678_815274e92a.jpg

One thing the box doesn't show is a back view of the model with all the nice arch detailing.

4474776249_571e9b5080.jpg

A look back at the architecture - it is nicely detailed without being too fussy.

4475552782_7783eaacd8.jpg

Alternate shots

Here, Princess Tamina makes the men in her life fight for her affections. 'Spilled blood will win my love!' she shouts from her balcony!

4474777345_382ed57429.jpg

Sadly, a race between Tamina on an oppressed camel and Asoka on a cart dragged by the Alamut merchant was never going to replace motorcar racing as an extreme sport.

4474777949_790ddfb61e.jpg

Conclusion

Parts: 9/10 - Amazing selection of pieces - just look at the pics!

Minifigs: 8/10 - Some repetition with the torsos, but some unique pieces too

Build: 7/10 - Fun, if unchallenging. Further MOC'd expansions to the market will expand this set greatly

Overall Rating: 8/10 - Great parts and a fun little build - a good mid-level set filled with enough exclusive pieces to make it a must-buy!

Thanks for this review Svelte! As usual high and good quality.

Another set with alot of great parts and minifigs.

I am missing one picture though. Of the parts inventory.

Would it be possible to add that?

Thanks for this review Svelte! As usual high and good quality.

Another set with alot of great parts and minifigs.

I am missing one picture though. Of the parts inventory.

Would it be possible to add that?

I took one but it was too blurry to add in this review :grin:

I will take another and add it just for you Ras74 :wink:

Nice review, this set is the first of the theme I will buy once it comes out in The Netherlands!

One remark though, isn't the animal a dromedary instead of a camel? I can only spot one hump. As opposed to a camel that usually has two... :tongue:

Edited by simonwillems

One remark though, isn't the animal a dromedary instead of a camel? I can only spot one hump. As opposed to a camel that usually has two... :tongue:

According to the wisdom of the wiki, a dromedary *is* a one-humped Arabian camel.

This is an Arabian theme, that's close enough for me :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dromedary

Great pictures Svelte, thanks for the review. The PoP sets are pretty spectacular -- great minifigs, great parts, lovely new color (whatever it's called). There's a bunch of new fleshie faces, and the only reused ones are in the big Battle of Alamut (the merchant and the ostrich jockey are repeated in that set). Of course, I do have 3 identical Dastans walking around... the guy needs a change of clothes, or maybe a haircut. :tongue:

I'm looking forward to a review of Quest Against Time -- it doesn't look nearly as interesting as the others, so it's the only one I haven't gotten yet. :grin:

No extra dagger for this set? Man... I had my hopes up. :sceptic::tongue:

No, but Quest Against Time has a spare :wink:

Great review Svelte! Thanks for sharing.

I was already going to buy this nice set, but the spirits included in this review will make me enjoy it even more :laugh:

LuxorV

Great Review Svelteman! Looks like a parts and figs bonanza this set and indeed the whole line. I can't wait to get my mitts on these playsets.

Great review Svelte :thumbup: ,

I'm really liking this theme with those great new bricks and figs.

the Inventor

Another excellent review, Svelte! :cry_happy:

Your reviews are making my wait feeling so unbearable. This set is really very nice, even though the market is not really very huge in size, but the minifigs, parts and accessories do make up for it in certain way. I am quite sure a few of these could easily be connected to create a longer market stand. Other than that, this is a great set, and of course, we could easily get another stall holder from the 7195 Ambush in Cairo set. :tongue:

Expensive set, but certainly worthwhile to get it.

I'm not convinced the set is that expensive. 238 pieces for $US30 isn't bad. Plus, the set is a lot more substantial than the box art suggests.

Actually it reminded me of the Harry Potter set 4706 Forbidden Corridor from 2001. It was a Licensed set with 4 figs, a specialty mould animal, and a tower with a staircase :laugh:

4706-1.jpg

In 2001, it's list price was $US30 and GBP25 (according to Peeron and brickset) so almost 10 years later you can't tell me a similar set with the exact same price doesn't represent good value :wink:

I'm not convinced the set is that expensive. 238 pieces for $US30 isn't bad. Plus, the set is a lot more substantial than the box art suggests.

Actually, if I am buying it at USD$30, I will said its very affordable, but unfortunately the retail price is much higher in my region. :cry_sad:

However, I do agree with you that this set is more than just price factor, but its the whole "wow" feeling that blows you away. :wub:

Thanks for the review! :sweet:

That um...dromadary is really nice. I won't get the set though, I need to save up for Star Wars and Harry Potter.

Talking about fight for the review......just kidding ! :grin:

Two reviews in 24 hours for the same AWESOME set..........dam it first Star Wars, then trains now this ........I want these sets now.

Talking about interactive play, pull a pin and drop on in two ways - cool ! :wink:

Mega accessory selection, awesome colours and what a selection of minifigs - too cool :grin:!

Thanks 'Svelte' for this particular review and really I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Another great review from Svelte, yay! :laugh:

I believe this set will be the big seller in this theme, a not to big (read: expensive) set that even kids can buy with their saved money and a lot of play features. I think it also gives us parts buyers a good deal with all those sweet new sand orange/medium nougat (really, what's up with BL's name, medium dark flesh? It's self-contradictory!) arches and the tan bricks. Figs and accessories are great and I love the camel too, I like that Asoka got a printed torso too even if it's covered by his armour.

4 out of 5 is my vote, I wish licensed sets weren't so overpriced here :cry_sad:

Thanks for the review, I saw a few of these sets in my most recent LEGO catalog but seeing them done in a review is the best. I was going to pass on these sets but the more I see them, the more I want them.

Great review!

I'm not sure if this was answered before, but CAN it connect to the Battle of Alamut? Anyway great review, now all we need is a PoP motorcar race set! :tongue:

-Santhor

I'm not sure if this was answered before, but CAN it connect to the Battle of Alamut? Anyway great review, now all we need is a PoP motorcar race set! :tongue:

-Santhor

The final model without all the accessories and minifigs. The early description posted on Amazon.com suggested this set could connect with the 7573 Battle of Alamut set but this doesn't seem to appear on the new S@H listing. I haven't built the big one yet so I am not sure if this still holds true.

Anyway great review, now all we need is a PoP motorcar race set! :tongue:

-Santhor

Noooo*!!!! One thing I don't like about many new themes is that they're stuffed with vehicles. That cart looks just like the one in Battle of Alamut, except without the missiles. :tongue:

* :vader:

Thanks for this fantastic review! :thumbup:

What a fantastic set! This wasn't on the top 3 of my must-get Prince of Persia sets, but now it's at number 1. What a beautiful parts pack, those minifigures are awesome. If only they produced those new arches in tan. :sweet: It's also a nice set on it's own, but it looks much bigger on the box. It also reminds me of the LEGO Harry Potter Forbidden Corridor set, so that's a good thing. Can't wait to get my hands on this one, although it won't stand long together. :wink: