ZCerberus

Fort Brighton East

So more work on the cathedral this time. I love the stained glass windows, but they were facing the back where they can't be seen on my desk... plus, the side walls looked so... blah...

So easy solution- add stained glass windows to the side you can usually see!

Here is a shot last night with the puck light in the dome on... it might not be bright enough- but you can see it shining through... sorta...

img_4112.jpg

And now here this morning with the opposite sections of the roof removed so the sun could shine through. It is easy to take off the roof- it is held on with magnets so each of the four roof sections comes off with nary a hassle!

img_4124.jpg

img_4126.jpg

img_4129.jpg

img_4131.jpg

I still want to switch the roof to bley and rework the top section of the bell towers- but it is getting close!

The sun shining in gives a really nice effect. I always enjoy well-executed stained-glass techniques in Lego. Does your cathedral have an interior (or have I missed this in one of the previous picture sets)?

(Sits in his chair with a very absorbed look about his face) This is fantastic! The scale alone is crazy, but those details in the tower and the church are amazing! :oh: You really earn your MOC exert badge. Great work, keep it up! ~LW 8~

Does your cathedral have an interior (or have I missed this in one of the previous picture sets)?

None to speak of right now.

i Wonder exactly how big the village will be

Not exactly sure- we will see how many houses I can make and how much variety I can add-- the first two houses I made were fairly similar, so I am eventually am going to try to spice it up a bit!

More Village.

img_4132.jpg

img_4133.jpg

img_4135.jpg

img_4137.jpg

Not in love with any of them yet- and none have much of an interior.

I want to come up with a few different ways to do roofs and I am trying to use all the "odd" colors I have... expect dark orange, more dark tan, lime green and dark blue in future builds. I ordered some more roof angle changing pieces in black.

You are a true master at this sport, ZCerberus! Those houses are beautiful! Such inspiration!

Great work Z! I have missed this thread the last few times it was bumpeb and I just went through 3 pages and I'm honestly amazed. This sort of detail isn't usually seen in minifig scale MOCs.

One thing I would suggest, perhaps have a few lanes between the houses in the village.

But really man, this is an incredible MOC. Great work! :thumbup:

hi, just a bit comment, hope u wont mind. :pir-cry_happy:

I love the fort, and the cathedral so much, really impressive work. :pir_laugh2:

but the village houses seems a bit strange to me. I dont know how to say and what's the reason.

I am also thinking of how to add a 10185 green grocer modular house to my pirate theme. The medieval market also was considered before but it's also not so fit. So I recently have been thinking and focusing on how to works this well.

Here is some points that I think maybe the factors:

Scale: the door frame of the houses just a bit larger than a minifigs, but the one in the cathedral and the fort is much larger. It means that the scale of the houses is a bit small to fit with the fort in the minifigs' view. Although this does happen in our really world, "a cathedral door is much much larger that our own house", but it's a bit strange to put them too close that cause a contrast.

Colour: I really love the white main building, but the other colours houses seems destroy it's beauty. :pir_bawling: However, the colours of the houses do show its reallity in the 17,18 centry. I am still working on colour skeme, the best way is I think, building a white/yellow fort as a theme, and building another pirate and village with darker colour as another theme, but never put them together.

Or, build the fort with "stone", in a dark grey colour skeme as in real world. Then they will fit better. Here is an example that I saw in here and i really like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26161965@N06/...57610393171223/

At last, I suggest maybe you can build a "governor house"? or something like government department in a white colour skeme with grand decoration. This may fit the fort and the cathedral better in appearance, and in sense. :pir-blush:

Here is some points that I think maybe the factors:

Scale: the door frame of the houses just a bit larger than a minifigs, but the one in the cathedral and the fort is much larger. It means that the scale of the houses is a bit small to fit with the fort in the minifigs' view. Although this does happen in our really world, "a cathedral door is much much larger that our own house", but it's a bit strange to put them too close that cause a contrast.

Colour: I really love the white main building, but the other colours houses seems destroy it's beauty. :pir_bawling: However, the colours of the houses do show its reallity in the 17,18 centry. I am still working on colour skeme, the best way is I think, building a white/yellow fort as a theme, and building another pirate and village with darker colour as another theme, but never put them together.

At last, I suggest maybe you can build a "governor house"? or something like government department in a white colour skeme with grand decoration. This may fit the fort and the cathedral better in appearance, and in sense. :pir-blush:

I agree with you to some extent... but I would say that these 6 houses are a mere smattering of what will be in the village. I also do not plan on having the village so close to the cathedral/fortress when I am done- but I am working with limited space (as you might be able to tell ;) ) so I had to put them somewhere!

I am planning on building several other buildings in the village that will be sized somewhere between the houses and the bigger buildings like a windmill, inn, governor's house, black smith, guns smith and maybe even a farm or too. We'll see how everything is working when we get to that point!

Changes happening at Fort Brighton East.

I am making the fortress section 8 studs wider for a whole host of reasons- but mainly because I think it will help the aesthetics a lot.

I also set up the white paper background (yuck) to take some pictures of the community build barrister’s office in the sunlight so I thought I would take the chance to reshoot the large dock section. I always thought the dock was cool- but the pictures didn’t quite do it justice. I think these look better! I also reshot the lighthouse- but the pictures will require more time to edit than I had this morning. Those I intend to post in the lighthouse thread later.

When I have more progress on the wider fortress section the pictures will be posted here!-

Until then- the new pics of the dock-

img_4623.jpg

img_4624.jpg

img_4627.jpg

img_4629.jpg

img_4630.jpg

img_4631.jpg

img_4635.jpg

img_4636.jpg

AWESOME is too small a word for the latest piece of your MOC ! :pir_laugh2:

I just love the stone work - beyond awesome !

The ramp, decking and props - fantastic !

You have done an excellent job 'ZCerberus' and I'm a conformist! ! :pir_laugh2:

An amazing job on the whole fort, but the newest moc of your dock piece is my favorite yet, but close competition with the chapel's stained glass! Keep bricking mate :pir_laugh2:

Great dock design.

I'm not sure if I have ever seen an 18th century double decked dock before.

Have you based it on a real life example? Do you have a photo.

either way it looks amazing.

Really great. :thumbup:

As for your Tudor style houses:

The grey, bley, dark and light at the bottom floor is good. :thumbup:

My advice for the top floors would be to stick to earth-colors.

Make your basic houses from brown, rown, dark orange, white, tan and in principle a black roof.

You could contemplate a (b)rown roof for color variation, or something resembling a straw roof ((dark)tan, (sand)yellow greebling).

A red roof is a bit tricky since standard red might be too bright. Braking it up with dark red and rown could be an option.

Then again, you could consider making it entirerly dark red.

I would advice you to drop the grey roof since most roofs in those days were build from lighter materials than stone.

For some color variation you could consider: sand green, san red, san blue, so basically the sand colors.

Some dark colors could work as well. My advice would be to try and avoid the brighter colors. At least if you are going for realism.

Well just my two cents.

Kind regards and good luck on your massive project, :thumbup:

Teddy

Edit: Dark tan works well as a straw roof: Linky to dark tan roof on tudor style house on EB

Great dock design.

I'm not sure if I have ever seen an 18th century double decked dock before.

Have you based it on a real life example? Do you have a photo.

either way it looks amazing.

Really great. :thumbup:

As for your Tudor style houses:

The grey, bley, dark and light at the bottom floor is good. :thumbup:

My advice for the top floors would be to stick to earth-colors.

Make your basic houses from brown, rown, dark orange, white, tan and in principle a black roof.

You could contemplate a (b)rown roof for color variation, or something resembling a straw roof ((dark)tan, (sand)yellow greebling).

A red roof is a bit tricky since standard red might be too bright. Braking it up with dark red and rown could be an option.

Then again, you could consider making it entirerly dark red.

I would advice you to drop the grey roof since most roofs in those days were build from lighter materials than stone.

For some color variation you could consider: sand green, san red, san blue, so basically the sand colors.

Some dark colors could work as well. My advice would be to try and avoid the brighter colors. At least if you are going for realism.

Well just my two cents.

Kind regards and good luck on your massive project, :thumbup:

Teddy

Edit: Dark tan works well as a straw roof: Linky to dark tan roof on tudor style house on EB

Good advice Teddy-

Yeah- the red and tan building needs some overhauling.

Mostly the red and the dark gray roofs are being used because I had the right roof pieces to make it work. I do think color and variety are the main enemies of the houses right now. I think regular red is going to be out as a color options, as well as the standard blue and yellow. I like the tan/brown color option a lot but I don't want to over use it!

This is awesome, so much time and it is still a remake of your old set up too. Man, the hours in this. It has been a hour just catching up to this thread.

It is huge and incredible but here is my questions-

Where is the dock going to be placed, all your pics of it are in some other place?

What is the hole between the Fort and Cathedral? Is their water/boat access in that hole or is it underground/catacombs stuff?

Will there be any pictures of the dock, seawall, houses/small buildings near the Fort and Cathedral like a dress rehearsal of sorts? I have seen lots of components but not much all together, I would like to see that.

This is so amazing, the size of the Fort and Cathedral are awe inspiring.

PS Did you get married, you stopped foreshadowing the Maiden next to you a few months ago?

Where is the dock going to be placed, all your pics of it are in some other place?

I ran out of room as you can see- the docks will be with the sea wall and village eventually. I am moving the whole village area back towards the cathedral so the docks do not stick out into the path of flying canon balls from the fortress. Also, since the fortress will be about 8 studs wider- there are going to be some other changes there as well.

What is the hole between the Fort and Cathedral? Is their water/boat access in that hole or is it underground/catacombs stuff?

Yes- there is an underground area under the cathedral and there are also all those canons under the fortress. You will notice there is a boat enterance in the sidewall of the fortress. Supplies can be brought in by boat and then raised from the hole into the store house or brought to the fortress.

Will there be any pictures of the dock, seawall, houses/small buildings near the Fort and Cathedral like a dress rehearsal of sorts? I have seen lots of components but not much all together, I would like to see that.

Biggest problems there are space and landscaping... I need to build up the landscaping around the cathedral and decide exactly where the village will start before they are all together for a picture.

PS Did you get married, you stopped foreshadowing the Maiden next to you a few months ago?

Well at least SOMEBODY notice the reference! April 24, 2010 is the big day.

Looking very good! I like the docks, the're very original as i havnt seen anyone else build that type. The whole idea of the woodwork built around the stone pillars is really good. The houses are coming along nice, i can understand you wanting to use the more rarer colours as it makes a nice change from the usual brown/black/tan combination that most people use. Im quite into using grey/brown/sand green combo at the moment as it comes off quite well. You mentioned interiors to the houses? I sometimes find this can be challenging when it comes to detail, as i like to use a lot of details and techniques on the front of houses which often leaves the wall of the interior looking very messy. So on smaller houses like these, its usually a case of building a double wall inside(more brick consuming) or sacrifice some detail on the front. It might pay you to have a row of houses as a backdrop which wont need an interior, then you can build some really detailed fronts. Keep up the good work Z, this is shaping up to be a really epic project.

DC

I was thinking about your excellent creation and I was wondering is this supposed to be a European Port or a Carribbean Port?

Here is where I am going...

My wife and I (congrats next month) were in St Thomas about a year ago. The buildings there were old and very different than those in Europe, I was actually a little surprised. In Europe it is the tudor buildings like you have so aptly made, brick on bottom and two color on top, etc (MMV style). They would have higher pitched roofs and were "darker" colored probably stain from long life, whatever. In St Thomas and other Carribbena place I have seen from pictures they have very colorful walls, there is ocassionally a brick building but they were mostly plastered over and painted bright. A lot had flat or low pitched roofs that typically ran the length of the building in spanish tile or somolar materials. Near the waterfront were all touristy stores now that had been warehouses back in the past. Here are some links i found of some of the structures.

http://kimbriggs.com/photos/us-virgin-isla...alie-06-002.jpg

http://www.coolest-travel-pictures.com/wp-...main-street.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...t_Christian.JPG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/STT.../Picture101.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm..._Riise_Mall.JPG

If it is a Carribean Port have you or would you consider a village more like those in the carribean?